New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Lucky vs Resilient (Con)

Hi, everyone.

We'll be starting a Descent Into Avernus campaign soon and I'm building a knowledge cleric 1/lore bard X half elf. Our DM has granted us a free feat at lvl1.
    What do you think's more usefull? Lucky, to get those 3 rerolls when needed or Resilient (Con) to get proff in constitution saves (not only usefull for concentration saves but for many more things as well)

We're using point buy and I'd be going for Str8-Dex14-Con14-Int12-Wis13-Cha16 with Lucky or Str8-Dex14-Con14-Int12-Wis14-Cha16 with Resilient (Con)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lucky vs Resilient (Con)

If it's only one or the other, I'd say get Resilient. If you plan on getting both eventually, Resilient will be more useful once your proficiency bonus is higher, so get Lucky first.

You can also leave your CON at 13 if you plan to get Resilient later, letting you bump up your WIS now.

Also consider combining Resilient with Warcaster, so that you'll never fail a concentration check.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anthiondel View Post
    Hi, everyone.

We'll be starting a Descent Into Avernus campaign soon and I'm building a knowledge cleric 1.....
    Surely you should consult your gods and all will be revealed?

Take a look at what spells you will be using, TBH it should be fairly obvious if you need to go Resilient.

(3 rerolls are pretty powerful though)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This topic seems very familiar

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...lient-or-lucky

Worth a read.

The TL;DR of it all: low level Lucky performs well, higher level Resilient pulls ahead.
    I'd still recommend Resilient before Lucky just because how reliable it is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the number of concentration spells you will need to maintain as well as the all round usefulness of con saves ... I would vote for resilient con by a large margin.

You could also consider a 16 con to start dropping int to 10 and wis to 12. That will further increase both hit points and con saves. On the other hand, the 12 int and 14 wis have benefits for saves and skills so it is a trade off.

I have had characters with Lucky and resilient con ... and I find resilient is by far the more useful and powerful even if it is less flashy. In addition, you can always pick up Lucky later on if you decide you want to try it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The shorter the adventuring day, the better Lucky is.

So, if your DM does only one encounter a day, Lucky is better than almost any other feat.

But if you have enough encounters that you run out of resources, (because your DM knows how to use the system) then resilient is better, in part because it gives +1 to a stat of your choice.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I also recommend Res (Con), not because of better Con saves, but because you would start with a Wis mod of +2 vs +1. Your cleric spells will be more effective, you can prepare one more, and you get +1 to Wis skills and saves.

So it becomes 3 rerolls per period of time vs +2 (or higher) to Con saves and +1 to all Wis checks and better cleric spellcasting.

Off topic, but it looks like your character has 26 points via the point but method? (27 is the norm.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Adding to the points raised above your play style will also impact which feat to get. If you plan to play GOD style you may not need resilient con at all.

If you play in such a way that it maybe levels before taking any damage Lucky is by far the better feat to take.

I have a wizard I started with 13 con and planned to take resilient con ASAP but by level 8 I only had to make 3 concentration checks in total. I decided to max int and grab lucky instead.

If you plan to Gish it up then you’ll need resilient con for sure.