The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default A New League (DCA/M&M 3e)

The Justice League is no more. The members of JLA are considered missing or some even say dead. An encounter with the Anti-Monitor didn't turn out well for our heroes with the JLA Satelitte blowing up in the stratosphere.

Aquaman, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Black Canary, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, and Zatanna are listed among the victims of the Anti-Monitor. The Anti-Monitor assault on Earth stopped after this encounter. Leading many people to believe, that the JLA made the ultimate sacrifice to stop the threat.

The Hall of Justice is now abandoned. Villains are running amok, there are too many threats around the world.

You are heroes, banding together and rebuilding a new League from scratch. In this game, you will get to face against all the enemies of the Justice League across Earth and possibly even other dimensions or alternate earths. Drama, Action and Adventure, you will need to build public trust, recruit other heroes to the new league etc...there is a lot of work to do.

Power Level: 10 Power Points: 150
    Scale: Global Setting: Modern
    Style: Grayscale HQ: Hall of Justice (Washington, DC)

Creating a DC Hero character, you are welcome to take advantage of the rich history and setting of the DC Universe to make your character or just be totally original which is fine. The setting is modern but more accurate that it represents the DC Universe Pre-52 with of course the changes above of the JLA being dead or missing, a mystery worth exploring for your character. You can expect to interact with various DC characters or have a guest star from time to time, but most of the focus would be on your team first.

PL 10 is roughly the power level of most legion of Super Heroes, most Teen Titans, Green Arrow or Black Canary could be good examples for masked experienced adventurers, or young inexperienced heroes but powerful like Blue Beetle (Jamie Reyes) for example.

The list of the JLA enemies is long and cover the entire Globe and beyond, even across time, or other dimensions or planets.

Since I know, it might come up: Yes, you can make a Green Lantern. The mantle of the Bat is currently contested in Gotham City.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A New League (DCA/M&M 3e)

I'm in. Will at the very least have a concept before I go to bed.

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

Im definetly building something for this! Probably the new inheritor of the speed force...I have a few interesting twists in mind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Got an old part martian character I never got to run that I'd like to bring in for this.

5. - Top - End - #5

Will look more into ideas once I wake up but currently thinking a character inspired by gorilla grodd.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Im definetly building something for this! Probably the new inheritor of the speed force...I have a few interesting twists in mind.
    Wally West and the others are running around to be clear, like I mentioned it's like pre new 52 universe, just to keep that in mind. Of course nothing stops you from being a speed force user.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Will look more into ideas once I wake up but currently thinking a character inspired by gorilla grodd.
    So someone from Gorilla City or you just mean inspiration for powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    Got an old part martian character I never got to run that I'd like to bring in for this.
    Alright.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ooh. This sounds like a fun concept, I would like to toss my hat in the ring for it. I was thinking, as I read through the description, how awesome it would be to play a new Green Lantern, and was very happy to see that last sentence :). So will be building that, just got his ring a little bit before the story started, heavily inexperienced but with the power of the Green Lantern backing him up. Not 100% up to date on the comics, are new GL recruits still pulled to Oa for training? I know there was a whole war not that long ago but am not certain where the current continuity is on new lanterns.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Ooh. This sounds like a fun concept, I would like to toss my hat in the ring for it. I was thinking, as I read through the description, how awesome it would be to play a new Green Lantern, and was very happy to see that last sentence :). So will be building that, just got his ring a little bit before the story started, heavily inexperienced but with the power of the Green Lantern backing him up. Not 100% up to date on the comics, are new GL recruits still pulled to Oa for training? I know there was a whole war not that long ago but am not certain where the current continuity is on new lanterns.
    Yeah the Green Lanterns still go to OA for training after being chosen by the Ring. If you need the Green Lantern Power Ring template (129pp) just let me know, it cost a bunch but you won't need to upgrade it any time soon and can use the rest of the power points you'll get during your career for everything else.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm thinking of someone like Mr. Terrific or Lex Luthor. Or on the complete flip side maybe a version of Shining Knight or Stargirl.
    Last edited by Deja Who?; 2019-09-19 at 09:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Who? View Post
    I'm thinking of someone like Mr. Terrific or Lex Luthor. Or on the complete flip side maybe a version of Shining Knight or Stargirl.
    Many possibilities for these kind of characters but again if you need some assistance, I'll try my best to answer any questions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of the four I imagine Lex Luthor is the only one you’d have plans for. I see him as trying to do his “paragon of humanity” thing now with Superman dead. What’s he up to and where you planning on using him? I’d be surprised if you had plans for any of the others.

I’m still super early in trying to come up with a concept but I’m also intrigued by the idea of trying to be the new Batman. He has all of traditional sidekicks around? Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, oh, is Barbara Gordon Oracle in this universe?

I’ve been super craving a game set in already established Marvel or DC. So much lore.
    Last edited by Deja Who?; 2019-09-19 at 11:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Who? View Post
    Of the four I imagine Lex Luthor is the only one you’d have plans for. I see him as trying to do his “paragon of humanity” thing now with Superman dead. What’s he up to and where you planning on using him? I’d be surprised if you had plans for any of the others.

I’m still super early in trying to come up with a concept but I’m also intrigued by the idea of trying to be the new Batman. He has all of traditional sidekicks around? Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, oh, is Barbara Gordon Oracle in this universe?

I’ve been super craving a game set in already established Marvel or DC. So much lore.
    Lex luthor is mostly reforming the league of doom ooc. There were some leadership issues in the last few years but it's stabilizing now. Not near my books right now so can't give the active outsider roster from the top of my head.

Yeah all the sidekicks are around including Damian and technically the outsiders too. Barbara is indeed oracle.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Final View Post
    so someone from Gorilla City or you just mean inspiration for powers?
    I'll be honest, I forgot Gorilla city is a thing (never gotten too far into DC continuity) but my idea had been to do a relative of his so I suppose someone from Gorilla City.

14. - Top - End - #14

Looking into it more, I'm leaning toward Nzame. I assume the relatively little I can find about this character means it would be a fair game concept
    ?

Edit: So sorry for the double post. This was supposed to be an edit.
    Last edited by gac3; 2019-09-19 at 01:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

I have a pretty neat concept for a character - basically, the inheritor/apprentice of the riddler, who was temporarily contained in the JLA's spaceship when the battle occured.

His apprentice found a riddle left to him by his master, and the answer was instructions to join those who will try to take the place of the JLA.

He doesn't know why, but he hopes that doing so, and finding the next riddles down the road, when they would be found, will lead him to figure out exactly what happened to the riddler.

A gut feeling tells him his death wasn't the closing move in his game of chess...perhaps just the beginning of a new one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

My build. Still working on fluff, probably going with a Cadmus project combining animal dna splicing with the blockbuster formula or some such.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Super interested! Question: would you prefer we create original characters in the DC universe, or can we apply an Elseworlds-esque treatment to existing DC characters (barring the ones the Anti-Monitor purportedly killed, of course)?

For example, you said that Barbara is Oracle... are we free to steal that and redefine what that means?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

I kinda wanna make my own character, but I also am REALLY leaning towards building John Constantine or Green Arrow.
    Last edited by dreamking; 2019-09-19 at 08:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I got a character concept for this.

Spoiler: Jade Refera AKA Rainbow Saber Backstory
    Show

Jade grew up in Gotham, in the shadows of heroes and villains, in Gotham Orphanage maintained with a bad budget whose matron didn't care about the children. Given how screwed up Gotham is on most days despite the efforts of these heroes, she quickly grew jaded and cynical of the world around her and of heroes like most modern youth. After all, if they are so great, how come her life was so messed up? On some level, she knew that these issues are complex, that they can only do so much, but that didn't stop the pain, the hurting or the feeling that they weren't doing enough. That while they stopped disaster, they didn't really do much to actually improve. She grew to be a bit delinquent in school who didn't do best in class but did beat up bullies and got detention for it, with lectures about how thats not the part about superheroes your supposed to take example from. She became a bit a street brawler to fend off the jerks that preyed upon people in her neighborhood, so soon she thought hey: if Batman can do why can't she, so when she was eighteen she put on an improvised mask and dark clothes, charged in to stop a bank robbery-

-And got shot multiple times by a tommy gun.

Turns out, when your not rich enough to afford to train with the best masters in the world and aren't a super genius or whatever, you can't dodge bullets. Turns out, you got to be real lucky to be a hero. Jade woke up in the hospital a few days later, full of casts and bandages. The medics got there to help her live in time, but the nurse told her that judging from the damage, she may never walk again. you have to be lucky to be a hero, and Jade is one of the most unlucky people in the world.
    Demonstrated when the Joker came to her hospital and was ranting about how Batman was dead, crying and raging and inflicting pain on everyone nearby, only pausing to laugh and mock her:
    "Oh look at you! Yet another disillusioned youth who tried to play hero, and I'm not even one killed by me! I don't even need to do anything to you, I can see it in your eyes: you realize the joke of the world just fine on your own, just like me!"
    She responded "Screw you clown. Your bat-crush isn't coming back just because you shoot up a hospital."
    "Oh! We got a real sassy lady over here! You must be just as crazy as me, mouthing off to the Joker!-" He points his gun at her with a mixture of rage and insane glee "-I HEARD THATS LETHAL."
    however at the last minute she is saved by a group of government soldiers. The Joker escapes, but soon its revealed who rescued her: Amanda Waller.
    Jade of course doesn't know who she is. Amanda curses the fact that the Joker escaped, but then says to Jade:
    "But thats not the only reason I'm here. Kid I heard you tried to foil a bank robbery without any powers or training. Putting aside how stupid that was, the Justice League is gone and we need new heroes, and you got just the mindset we need to be one."
    "My legs are shot. Can't walk anymore. Can't become someone like Batman."
    "Not the idea. See, I got my own team, the Suicide Squad, but I can't trust them. Especially not with what I have in mind for you. You want to be a hero? Accept my offer and come with me. Or you can be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life."
    Jade thinks about it. She isn't exactly the wheelchair type. So she accepts. Amanda takes her to a secret government facility, to something....weird. Some rainbow orb thats a combination of technology and magic. They aren't quite sure what it is or what its origins are, the rats who touched it in testing got changed into strange cyber rats that faster and stronger because of it. Its really weird, it could be anything, and if one the villains touches it and it turns out to be incredibly powerful it could be disastrous, and Jade seems to have a good heart yet be expendable which is what Waller likes, and its not as if she can back out now that she knows that this thing exists, so she wheels on up to it while the chamber is safely contained in case this goes wrong and grabs the rainbow orb.
    Instantly there is a flash of light, and Jade feels incredible agony throughout her body as the orb completely merges with her, remaking the inner workings of her body, enhancing, strengthening it as she screams out, the strange metal fill up her inside and repairing her until it ends and she finds herself able to walk again. She didn't outwardly change all that much however, so they began testing her abilities.
    Turns out whatever the orb did, she could access a new strange form of magic Jade named "Referential Cosplay Magic", able to conjure various cosplay and costumes of fictional characters and archetypes on her to do various magical effects to enhance her ability to fight, from the common and generic like Cowboy or Ninja, to the highly specific or the obscure, not sure why the orb granted her this power she theorized that it might work differently for each person that touched it. Jade worked with Waller for a time, but quickly realized that despite their agreements on needing a pragmatic approach and dealing villains in a more permanent manner, Jade could not stand for Waller's extreme methods and they had a big argument where their stubborn natures rammed against each other with neither giving in on what they believed, Jade leaving over how Waller used people like pawns and weapons.
    Now she seeks out other Heroes traveling across the world, finding that her cybernetics allow her to keep on going without food water or breath, seeking to fix a world left behind the heroes sacrifice, becoming known as "The Rainbow Saber" for the use of her most powerful cosplay, The Prismatic Caprine Angel and how its rainbow light brings hope wherever it goes, she is determined to dual-wield its two white sabers in the name of justice, one things for sure: she is NOT going back to live in Gotham!

TLDR: snarky former school delinquent with referential cosplay powers to empower herself to fight. As well as a bit of exploration into what these heroes might inspire someone to try and do but not have the power behind it to actually succeed and how just because DC heroes have better PR than Marvel doesn't mean everyone thinks well of them, and what someone growing up might think of the entire superhero situation.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!

20. - Top - End - #20

DrowGirl

I would like to play.

Here is Sahara, a cross between the Element and Construct archetypes.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-09-25 at 10:55 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I like this better and better as a I read on. Never actually played M&M 3, but it seems pretty cool.

My concept is a gang member who was empowered maybe a few months before the disappearance. She's been trying to keep a low profile, due to not wanting to get punched in the face by Superman, or any other superhero. Before, she would have assumed that the disappearance of so many major superheroes would give her a chance to break out as a supervillain, but the reality of the Anti Monitor's attack woke her up. After all, there's no money to be made if the Earth is wiped out, and maybe she can leverage this into making cash legitimately...

Got a few questions:

1. Are there any Super Teams still around at all? Teen Titans, Young Justice, et. all?

2. I'm not especially familiar with the DC Universe, but is there any superhero merch canonically? If so, who gets the profits?
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If you need the Green Lantern Power Ring template (129pp) just let me know
    I meshed together a bunch of different sources for the ring's powers, the DC Adventures book Green Lantern write-up, some fan Lantern builds, and a few minor changes to reflect my character's unique minor differences (more focused on moving parts in his constructs than most lanterns as a result of his backstory). If there's anything I missed from the template that you think would be a good idea, would love to know :).

Build should be done, barring any requested changes/extra stuff for the ring. Backstory took some time, and I'm not entirely thrilled with it (it's a bit wordy, and reads a bit clunky in places, but it gets the gist of things along). Might made some minor adjustments. Rest should be good for review.
    EDIT: Adding more complications and good with them now.

Ben Sparks - The Green Lantern
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Spoiler: On Duty
    Show

Ben wears a standard Green Lantern uniform while on superhero duty, appearing much the same as the other human Lanterns. A bit more youthful in the face and a lot more open with his expressions, he is nonetheless obviously recognizable as a Green Lantern.

"Off-duty" Ben dresses in very simple, casual attire. Jeans and a graphic design t-shirt are typically the order of the day, with a wide variety of designs for his shirts to keep his appearance fresh.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Born in Opal City, Maryland, Ben had a normal childhood. He, like many children, adored the Justice League, and had many League themed birthday parties. His favorite hero from a young age was the Green Lantern. As a child he often wore a cheap plastic lantern ring his parents had purchased for him and when the neighborhood kids would play superheroes he always picked Lantern.

Growing up Ben's life was as mundane as could be. He attended the local High School, went off to an in-state (but out-of-city) college, earned a degree in art, and landed a position at a major video game company as an animator. He threw himself into work to an unhealthy degree, and had no real friends outside of his job, but he loved what he was doing so much he didn't care about the long hours or lack of a social life.

His parents retired a year after he started work, moving out to the country to have some space to themselves. Ben visited them once or twice a year, but passed his adult life almost entirely on the job. Though he no longer paid much attention (beyond the normal amount needed as a civilian in a world of superheroes) to the happenings of the Justice League, he never lost his sense of wonder and amazement at seeing these larger than life heroes at work.

And so it was a tremendous time of loss for him when the Anti-Monitor attacked Earth. While he was unharmed in the attacks, the same could not be said of the downtown blocks that held both his office and his apartment, both of which were flattened by falling debris from the battle. Ben found himself in an emergency shelter on the outskirts of town watching a live news broadcast of the attack, one which was lucky enough to snag a (very distant and blurry) shot of one of the Justice League heading up to attack the Anti-Monitor. When none of the League returned but the attack stopped...the conclusion was relatively obvious.

With his job lost, his heroes missing, and himself adrift with nothing to do for the first time in years, it was both a blessing and a curse when the Power Ring found him. Recognizing it for what it was, and in shock at seeing the real deal up close and personal, Ben put the ring on. Immediately he was surrounded by energy that wove itself into a Green Lantern uniform and informed telepathically that he was now a Green Lantern of sector 2814.

With no immediate threats around, and nothing to tie him to Earth at the moment, the Ring immediately took him to Oa for training. It was a difficult time, learning how to use the ring from the instructors, and Ben struggled with his feelings of inadequacy for the job. Though he'd always dreamed of being a superhero, he did not feel at all worthy to wield the power of the Green Lantern. It was only once one of his instructors, the famous Kilowag, sat him down to explain that the rings do not make that kind of mistake that he was able to (mostly) get over it and wield the power without doubt.

While on Oa he tried to learn if the Guardians had any information on what had happened to the Green Lantern of Earth and where his ring had come from. The former was met with stony silence, either the Guardians were not aware or not sharing, but the latter question was answered. His ring was not from the fallen Lantern of Earth, but rather from a Lantern named Girm Dzar, one of two Lanterns of sector 2817. The Guardians were either unaware, or unwilling to share why the ring had flown such a long distance to find him, and assigned him to patrol 2814 rather than 2817, again for reasons they were unwilling to share.

Upon his return to Earth and seeing how the elements of villainy were on the rise now that the League was gone, Ben knew a new League would be needed to protect the Earth. And protecting Earth is the number one duty of...The Green Lantern!

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Motivation: Doing Good: Ben is greatly honored to have been bestowed with a Green Lantern Ring, and wants to do whatever he can to live up to the example of the last Lantern of Earth. Those are big shoes to fill, but he wants to do his best.
    Secret: Ben doesn't know why he was chosen by a ring from another sector, and the Guardians aren't sharing.
    Quirk - Workaholic: Ben has never had much of a life beyond his work. As a Green Lantern, he considers heroism his day job, and will happily work himself well past the point of needing to take a break. Much like superman in his early days, Ben doesn't yet understand that some minor incidents need to be left to others so you can preserve your strength for dealing with the stuff that non-supers cannot.
    Power Loss: The power ring needs periodic recharging and issues a warning as its power runs low.
    Relationship: Both of Ben's parents are still alive, and living happily in the countryside of Maryland. He has vaguely informed them of his newfound powers, but hasn't gone into much in the way of details yet. He's not yet aware of how they will react, and he does worry about someone finding them and taking them hostage.
    Weakness: Green Lantern power rings depend on the willpower of the wearer; the maximum rank of the ring's effects is equal to the wearer's Will rank, and moments of self-doubt or hesitation can cause the ring to fail.

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Abilities - 18 points
    Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 0
    Defenses - 31 points
    Dodge 8, Parry 7, Toughness 12/0*, Fortitude 8, Will 12
    * Without Power Ring
    Advantages - 3 points
    Fearless, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: Will
    Equipment - 1 point
    Modern Cell Phone (Cell Phone (smartphone) + GPS Receiver + Video Camera)
    Skills - 15 points
    Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Power Ring 6 (+8), Technology 10 (+12)
    Powers - 84 points
    Green Lantern Power Ring (Removable)
    . . Flight: Flight 11 (Speed: 4000 miles/hour, 8 miles/round)
    . . . . Space Flight: Movement 4 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero-G, Space Travel 3: other galaxies)
    . . Force Field: Protection 12 (Impervious, Sustained)
    . . Force Manipulation (array)
    . . . . Force Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)
    . . . . Force Bubble: Burst Area Immunity 10 (Life Support; Affects Others only, Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, increased range: ranged)
    . . . . Lifting: Move Object 12 (100 tons, Precise)
    . . . . Movable Constructs: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable)
    . . Protective Field: Immunity 10 (willpower, technological, Life Support)
    . . Quick Change: Feature 1 (technological)
    . . Ring Features
    . . . . Oan AI and Database (Feature 2)
    . . . . Scanning Beam: Senses 8 (Analytical (Type): Visual, Counters Illusion: Visual, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Tracking: Visual 1: -1 speed rank, Infravision, Ultravision)
    . . . . Universal Translator: Comprehend 4 (Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Affects Others)
    Offense
    Initiative +1
    Force Blast: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
    Lifting: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)

Spoiler: Power Descriptions
    Show
    Flight (Willpower, Telekinetic, Technological) - The Green Lantern ring enables the wearer to fly at great speeds. It's not subtle, even as far as flight goes, as the wearer glows with a green aura while flying, but it is quite effective.
    Space Flight (Willpower, Technological) - Outside an atmosphere the ring's flight capabilities expand tremendously, granting a Green Lantern the speed and movement needed to patrol an entire sector of the universe, as well as being able to travel to and from Oa within the span of a few days.
    Force Field (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's power can be focused into a protective shield around the wearer with a minor exertion of will. Lanterns are taught early on how to keep this shield up even when performing other activities, but it does require active thought to engage and is usually left down when out of combat scenarios.
    Force Manipulation - The ring grants its wearer a wide variety of useful abilities. Among the more common are:
    Force Blast (Willpower, Force, Technological) - A simple blast of energy from the ring, fired as though it was a laser. Simple and effective, but not overly powerful or creative. Ben's blasts are a bit more powerful than normal for a newbie Lantern, but his aim leaves a bit to be desired.
    Force Bubble (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's protective energies can be easily expanded to encompass multiple people. This offers little in the way of protection from attacks, unless a very skilled Lantern is powering it (which Ben is not), but does allow for the Lantern to bring others with them safely into otherwise hostile terrain. Most Lanterns can keep this field up while performing other actions with the ring but Ben is not experienced enough and must keep his concentration on the bubble to maintain it.
    Lifting (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's energies can be used to interact with the environment to move objects around, with the capability to lift a significant amount of weight. Ben has proven to be quite skilled at minor movements, a result of his mind already being attuned to observing tiny changes from his prior job.
    Movable Constructs (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The most powerful application of the ring's energies, however, is its ability to create constructs of pure willpower to act as the wielder sees fit. Ben struggles with the raw power of his constructs, but his ability to set them in motion and carefully control them is quite high for a newbie. While he can't even come close to equally the raw durability of a senior Lantern's wall, for example, he's proven to be very good at creating simple machines with the ring. It's almost harder for him to create a construct that doesn't move than one that does, a minor reversal from normal Lanterns.
    Protective Field (Technological) - The ring automatically protects its wielder from hostile environments
    Quick Change (Technological, Thought) - The ring can be activated with a thought to instantly don the Green Lantern outfit, no matter what was worn before. The same speed can be applied to returning to normal attire.
    Ring Features - The ring has a set of minor useful features that don't always come into play but can be activated by the wielder with a simple thought and do not rely on their willpower to function.
    Oan AI and Database (Technological, Thought) - The ring is connected to the database of the Green Lanterns and can be queried for information, responding in a manner shaped by the wielder. While the database does not contain anywhere near comprehensive knowledge, it does tend to be aware of threats and happenings that other Lanterns have encountered in the past (GM's discretion as to what is available of course)
    Scanning Beam (Technological, Thought) - The ring can emit a scanning beam to check over an area, allowing analysis of the visual aspects of an object or location and highlighting traces for tracking purposes.
    Universal Translator (Technological, Thought) - The ring is equipped with a full universal translator, enabling Lanterns to operate throughout the galaxy without the need to learn local languages.
    Last edited by Binks; 2019-09-20 at 08:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Looking into it more, I'm leaning toward Nzame. I assume the relatively little I can find about this character means it would be a fair game concept
    ?

Edit: So sorry for the double post. This was supposed to be an edit.
    You can make an original Gorilla, it's not a necessity to use an existing character.

I have a pretty neat concept for a character - basically, the inheritor/apprentice of the riddler, who was temporarily contained in the JLA's spaceship when the battle occured.

His apprentice found a riddle left to him by his master, and the answer was instructions to join those who will try to take the place of the JLA.

He doesn't know why, but he hopes that doing so, and finding the next riddles down the road, when they would be found, will lead him to figure out exactly what happened to the riddler.

A gut feeling tells him his death wasn't the closing move in his game of chess...perhaps just the beginning of a new one.
    Technically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    My build. Still working on fluff, probably going with a Cadmus project combining animal dna splicing with the blockbuster formula or some such.
    Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by DuReign View Post
    Super interested! Question: would you prefer we create original characters in the DC universe, or can we apply an Elseworlds-esque treatment to existing DC characters (barring the ones the Anti-Monitor purportedly killed, of course)?

For example, you said that Barbara is Oracle... are we free to steal that and redefine what that means?
    I honestly didn't think there would be many people interested in redoing some DC heroes, I have a basic idea on what most DC characters (heroes , villains etc...) are doing but open minded to the idea of people doing their own version.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamking View Post
    I kinda wanna make my own character, but I also am REALLY leaning towards building John Constantine or Green Arrow.
    Up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I got a character concept for this.

Spoiler: Jade Refera AKA Rainbow Saber Backstory
    Show

Jade grew up in Gotham, in the shadows of heroes and villains, in Gotham Orphanage maintained with a bad budget whose matron didn't care about the children. Given how screwed up Gotham is on most days despite the efforts of these heroes, she quickly grew jaded and cynical of the world around her and of heroes like most modern youth. After all, if they are so great, how come her life was so messed up? On some level, she knew that these issues are complex, that they can only do so much, but that didn't stop the pain, the hurting or the feeling that they weren't doing enough. That while they stopped disaster, they didn't really do much to actually improve. She grew to be a bit delinquent in school who didn't do best in class but did beat up bullies and got detention for it, with lectures about how thats not the part about superheroes your supposed to take example from. She became a bit a street brawler to fend off the jerks that preyed upon people in her neighborhood, so soon she thought hey: if Batman can do why can't she, so when she was eighteen she put on an improvised mask and dark clothes, charged in to stop a bank robbery-

-And got shot multiple times by a tommy gun.

Turns out, when your not rich enough to afford to train with the best masters in the world and aren't a super genius or whatever, you can't dodge bullets. Turns out, you got to be real lucky to be a hero. Jade woke up in the hospital a few days later, full of casts and bandages. The medics got there to help her live in time, but the nurse told her that judging from the damage, she may never walk again. you have to be lucky to be a hero, and Jade is one of the most unlucky people in the world.
    Demonstrated when the Joker came to her hospital and was ranting about how Batman was dead, crying and raging and inflicting pain on everyone nearby, only pausing to laugh and mock her:
    "Oh look at you! Yet another disillusioned youth who tried to play hero, and I'm not even one killed by me! I don't even need to do anything to you, I can see it in your eyes: you realize the joke of the world just fine on your own, just like me!"
    She responded "Screw you clown. Your bat-crush isn't coming back just because you shoot up a hospital."
    "Oh! We got a real sassy lady over here! You must be just as crazy as me, mouthing off to the Joker!-" He points his gun at her with a mixture of rage and insane glee "-I HEARD THATS LETHAL."
    however at the last minute she is saved by a group of government soldiers. The Joker escapes, but soon its revealed who rescued her: Amanda Waller.
    Jade of course doesn't know who she is. Amanda curses the fact that the Joker escaped, but then says to Jade:
    "But thats not the only reason I'm here. Kid I heard you tried to foil a bank robbery without any powers or training. Putting aside how stupid that was, the Justice League is gone and we need new heroes, and you got just the mindset we need to be one."
    "My legs are shot. Can't walk anymore. Can't become someone like Batman."
    "Not the idea. See, I got my own team, the Suicide Squad, but I can't trust them. Especially not with what I have in mind for you. You want to be a hero? Accept my offer and come with me. Or you can be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life."
    Jade thinks about it. She isn't exactly the wheelchair type. So she accepts. Amanda takes her to a secret government facility, to something....weird. Some rainbow orb thats a combination of technology and magic. They aren't quite sure what it is or what its origins are, the rats who touched it in testing got changed into strange cyber rats that faster and stronger because of it. Its really weird, it could be anything, and if one the villains touches it and it turns out to be incredibly powerful it could be disastrous, and Jade seems to have a good heart yet be expendable which is what Waller likes, and its not as if she can back out now that she knows that this thing exists, so she wheels on up to it while the chamber is safely contained in case this goes wrong and grabs the rainbow orb.
    Instantly there is a flash of light, and Jade feels incredible agony throughout her body as the orb completely merges with her, remaking the inner workings of her body, enhancing, strengthening it as she screams out, the strange metal fill up her inside and repairing her until it ends and she finds herself able to walk again. She didn't outwardly change all that much however, so they began testing her abilities.
    Turns out whatever the orb did, she could access a new strange form of magic Jade named "Referential Cosplay Magic", able to conjure various cosplay and costumes of fictional characters and archetypes on her to do various magical effects to enhance her ability to fight, from the common and generic like Cowboy or Ninja, to the highly specific or the obscure, not sure why the orb granted her this power she theorized that it might work differently for each person that touched it. Jade worked with Waller for a time, but quickly realized that despite their agreements on needing a pragmatic approach and dealing villains in a more permanent manner, Jade could not stand for Waller's extreme methods and they had a big argument where their stubborn natures rammed against each other with neither giving in on what they believed, Jade leaving over how Waller used people like pawns and weapons.
    Now she seeks out other Heroes traveling across the world, finding that her cybernetics allow her to keep on going without food water or breath, seeking to fix a world left behind the heroes sacrifice, becoming known as "The Rainbow Saber" for the use of her most powerful cosplay, The Prismatic Caprine Angel and how its rainbow light brings hope wherever it goes, she is determined to dual-wield its two white sabers in the name of justice, one things for sure: she is NOT going back to live in Gotham!

TLDR: snarky former school delinquent with referential cosplay powers to empower herself to fight. As well as a bit of exploration into what these heroes might inspire someone to try and do but not have the power behind it to actually succeed and how just because DC heroes have better PR than Marvel doesn't mean everyone thinks well of them, and what someone growing up might think of the entire superhero situation.
    Guess a fan of Dial H heh?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I would like to play.

Here is Sahara, a cross between the Element and Construct archetypes.
    Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    Hmm, I like this better and better as a I read on. Never actually played M&M 3, but it seems pretty cool.

My concept is a gang member who was empowered maybe a few months before the disappearance. She's been trying to keep a low profile, due to not wanting to get punched in the face by Superman, or any other superhero. Before, she would have assumed that the disappearance of so many major superheroes would give her a chance to break out as a supervillain, but the reality of the Anti Monitor's attack woke her up. After all, there's no money to be made if the Earth is wiped out, and maybe she can leverage this into making cash legitimately...

Got a few questions:

1. Are there any Super Teams still around at all? Teen Titans, Young Justice, et. all?

2. I'm not especially familiar with the DC Universe, but is there any superhero merch canonically? If so, who gets the profits?
    Current heroic superteams:

Teen titans (San Francisco), The Doom Patrol, Freedom Fighters, Metal Men, The Outsiders (Gotham), Young Justice. There are many solo heroes in this universe. JSA was a thing but disbanded a long time ago.

Some merch are sold of heroes and Villains but it is usually, pretty hard to be allowed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    I meshed together a bunch of different sources for the ring's powers, the DC Adventures book Green Lantern write-up, some fan Lantern builds, and a few minor changes to reflect my character's unique minor differences (more focused on moving parts in his constructs than most lanterns as a result of his backstory). If there's anything I missed from the template that you think would be a good idea, would love to know :).

Build should be done, barring any requested changes/extra stuff for the ring. Backstory took some time, and I'm not entirely thrilled with it (it's a bit wordy, and reads a bit clunky in places, but it gets the gist of things along). Might made some minor adjustments. Also looking to add at least 1 more complication (open to suggestions :) ), but will need to figure out a good one. Rest should be good for review.

Ben Sparks - The Green Lantern
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Spoiler: On Duty
    Show

Ben wears a standard Green Lantern uniform while on superhero duty, appearing much the same as the other human Lanterns. A bit more youthful in the face and a lot more open with his expressions, he is nonetheless obviously recognizable as a Green Lantern.

"Off-duty" Ben dresses in very simple, casual attire. Jeans and a graphic design t-shirt are typically the order of the day, with a wide variety of designs for his shirts to keep his appearance fresh.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Born in Opal City, Maryland, Ben had a normal childhood. He, like many children, adored the Justice League, and had many League themed birthday parties. His favorite hero from a young age was the Green Lantern. As a child he often wore a cheap plastic lantern ring his parents had purchased for him and when the neighborhood kids would play superheroes he always picked Lantern.

Growing up Ben's life was as mundane as could be. He attended the local High School, went off to an in-state (but out-of-city) college, earned a degree in art, and landed a position at a major video game company as an animator. He threw himself into work to an unhealthy degree, and had no real friends outside of his job, but he loved what he was doing so much he didn't care about the long hours or lack of a social life.

His parents retired a year after he started work, moving out to the country to have some space to themselves. Ben visited them once or twice a year, but passed his adult life almost entirely on the job. Though he no longer paid much attention (beyond the normal amount needed as a civilian in a world of superheroes) to the happenings of the Justice League, he never lost his sense of wonder and amazement at seeing these larger than life heroes at work.

And so it was a tremendous time of loss for him when the Anti-Monitor attacked Earth. While he was unharmed in the attacks, the same could not be said of the downtown blocks that held both his office and his apartment, both of which were flattened by falling debris from the battle. Ben found himself in an emergency shelter on the outskirts of town watching a live news broadcast of the attack, one which was lucky enough to snag a (very distant and blurry) shot of one of the Justice League heading up to attack the Anti-Monitor. When none of the League returned but the attack stopped...the conclusion was relatively obvious.

With his job lost, his heroes missing, and himself adrift with nothing to do for the first time in years, it was both a blessing and a curse when the Power Ring found him. Recognizing it for what it was, and in shock at seeing the real deal up close and personal, Ben put the ring on. Immediately he was surrounded by energy that wove itself into a Green Lantern uniform and informed telepathically that he was now a Green Lantern of sector 2814.

With no immediate threats around, and nothing to tie him to Earth at the moment, the Ring immediately took him to Oa for training. It was a difficult time, learning how to use the ring from the instructors, and Ben struggled with his feelings of inadequacy for the job. Though he'd always dreamed of being a superhero, he did not feel at all worthy to wield the power of the Green Lantern. It was only once one of his instructors, the famous Kilowag, sat him down to explain that the rings do not make that kind of mistake that he was able to (mostly) get over it and wield the power without doubt.

While on Oa he tried to learn if the Guardians had any information on what had happened to the Green Lantern of Earth and where his ring had come from. The former was met with stony silence, either the Guardians were not aware or not sharing, but the latter question was answered. His ring was not from the fallen Lantern of Earth, but rather from a Lantern named Girm Dzar, one of two Lanterns of sector 2817. The Guardians were either unaware, or unwilling to share why the ring had flown such a long distance to find him, and assigned him to patrol 2814 rather than 2817, again for reasons they were unwilling to share.

Upon his return to Earth and seeing how the elements of villainy were on the rise now that the League was gone, Ben knew a new League would be needed to protect the Earth. And protecting Earth is the number one duty of...The Green Lantern!

Spoiler: Complications
    Show
    Motivation: Doing Good: Ben is greatly honored to have been bestowed with a Green Lantern Ring, and wants to do whatever he can to live up to the example of the last Lantern of Earth. Those are big shoes to fill, but he wants to do his best.
    Power Loss: The power ring needs periodic recharging and issues a warning as its power runs low.
    Weakness: Green Lantern power rings depend on the willpower of the wearer; the maximum rank of the ring's effects is equal to the wearer's Will rank, and moments of self-doubt or hesitation can cause the ring to fail.

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Abilities - 18 points
    Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 0
    Defenses - 31 points
    Dodge 8, Parry 7, Toughness 12/0*, Fortitude 8, Will 12
    * Without Power Ring
    Advantages - 3 points
    Fearless, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: Will
    Equipment - 1 point
    Modern Cell Phone (Cell Phone (smartphone) + GPS Receiver + Video Camera)
    Skills - 15 points
    Insight 4 (+7), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Power Ring 6 (+8), Technology 10 (+12)
    Powers - 84 points
    Green Lantern Power Ring (Removable)
    . . Flight: Flight 11 (Speed: 4000 miles/hour, 8 miles/round)
    . . . . Space Flight: Movement 4 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero-G, Space Travel 3: other galaxies)
    . . Force Field: Protection 12 (Impervious, Sustained)
    . . Force Manipulation (array)
    . . . . Force Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)
    . . . . Force Bubble: Burst Area Immunity 10 (Life Support; Affects Others only, Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, increased range: ranged)
    . . . . Lifting: Move Object 12 (100 tons, Precise)
    . . . . Movable Constructs: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable)
    . . Protective Field: Immunity 10 (willpower, technological, Life Support)
    . . Quick Change: Feature 1 (technological)
    . . Ring Features
    . . . . Oan AI and Database (Feature 2)
    . . . . Scanning Beam: Senses 8 (Analytical (Type): Visual, Counters Illusion: Visual, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Tracking: Visual 1: -1 speed rank, Infravision, Ultravision)
    . . . . Universal Translator: Comprehend 4 (Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Affects Others)
    Offense
    Initiative +1
    Force Blast: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
    Lifting: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)

Spoiler: Power Descriptions
    Show
    Flight (Willpower, Telekinetic, Technological) - The Green Lantern ring enables the wearer to fly at great speeds. It's not subtle, even as far as flight goes, as the wearer glows with a green aura while flying, but it is quite effective.
    Space Flight (Willpower, Technological) - Outside an atmosphere the ring's flight capabilities expand tremendously, granting a Green Lantern the speed and movement needed to patrol an entire sector of the universe, as well as being able to travel to and from Oa within the span of a few days.
    Force Field (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's power can be focused into a protective shield around the wearer with a minor exertion of will. Lanterns are taught early on how to keep this shield up even when performing other activities, but it does require active thought to engage and is usually left down when out of combat scenarios.
    Force Manipulation - The ring grants its wearer a wide variety of useful abilities. Among the more common are:
    Force Blast (Willpower, Force, Technological) - A simple blast of energy from the ring, fired as though it was a laser. Simple and effective, but not overly powerful or creative. Ben's blasts are a bit more powerful than normal for a newbie Lantern, but his aim leaves a bit to be desired.
    Force Bubble (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's protective energies can be easily expanded to encompass multiple people. This offers little in the way of protection from attacks, unless a very skilled Lantern is powering it (which Ben is not), but does allow for the Lantern to bring others with them safely into otherwise hostile terrain. Most Lanterns can keep this field up while performing other actions with the ring but Ben is not experienced enough and must keep his concentration on the bubble to maintain it.
    Lifting (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The ring's energies can be used to interact with the environment to move objects around, with the capability to lift a significant amount of weight. Ben has proven to be quite skilled at minor movements, a result of his mind already being attuned to observing tiny changes from his prior job.
    Movable Constructs (Willpower, Force, Technological) - The most powerful application of the ring's energies, however, is its ability to create constructs of pure willpower to act as the wielder sees fit. Ben struggles with the raw power of his constructs, but his ability to set them in motion and carefully control them is quite high for a newbie. While he can't even come close to equally the raw durability of a senior Lantern's wall, for example, he's proven to be very good at creating simple machines with the ring. It's almost harder for him to create a construct that doesn't move than one that does, a minor reversal from normal Lanterns.
    Protective Field (Technological) - The ring automatically protects its wielder from hostile environments
    Quick Change (Technological, Thought) - The ring can be activated with a thought to instantly don the Green Lantern outfit, no matter what was worn before. The same speed can be applied to returning to normal attire.
    Ring Features - The ring has a set of minor useful features that don't always come into play but can be activated by the wielder with a simple thought and do not rely on their willpower to function.
    Oan AI and Database (Technological, Thought) - The ring is connected to the database of the Green Lanterns and can be queried for information, responding in a manner shaped by the wielder. While the database does not contain anywhere near comprehensive knowledge, it does tend to be aware of threats and happenings that other Lanterns have encountered in the past (GM's discretion as to what is available of course)
    Scanning Beam (Technological, Thought) - The ring can emit a scanning beam to check over an area, allowing analysis of the visual aspects of an object or location and highlighting traces for tracking purposes.
    Universal Translator (Technological, Thought) - The ring is equipped with a full universal translator, enabling Lanterns to operate throughout the galaxy without the need to learn local languages.
    First impression seems to be doing alright.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Also, a bit of a random question, but is Red Tornado still around? Looking into building someone who controls air.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Guess a fan of Dial H heh?
    Who? Honestly never read whatever your talking about. I mostly know DC from its animated series like B:TAS, Justice League, JLU, Batman Beyond, Brave and the Bold, things like that. my character has about the same level of knowledge.

Edit: looked it up and I can see how you'd think that. I mostly just chose the Referential Cosplay magic because its flexible in powerful it can really be like many of DC powers.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-09-19 at 11:48 PM.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

GM- what do you mean by "technichaly" possible?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    Also, a bit of a random question, but is Red Tornado still around? Looking into building someone who controls air.
    Red Tornado is around. Probably got destroyed and rebuilt recently (the basic storyline of Red Tornado).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Who? Honestly never read whatever your talking about. I mostly know DC from its animated series like B:TAS, Justice League, JLU, Batman Beyond, Brave and the Bold, things like that. my character has about the same level of knowledge.

Edit: looked it up and I can see how you'd think that. I mostly just chose the Referential Cosplay magic because its flexible in powerful it can really be like many of DC powers.
    Alright, just curious if he was an inspiration.

GM- what do you mean by "technichaly" possible?
    As in, didn't really think of prisoners in one of the holding cell of the Justice League Watchtower, during the Anti-Monitor assault.

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

yuk Re: A New League (DCA/M&M 3e)

Alright then. Here is the basic fluff

Spoiler
    Show
    Perry Uzzle (P.uzzle for short) AKA Sphinx, was born to a homeless mother, that went through mind-altering experiments while she was pregnant. When the experiments didn't work, she was thrown back into the streets.

When her son was born, however, she found that he got the full impact of those experiments. In addition to his greatlt enhanced intellect, from a very young age, Perry also displayed minor psychic capabilities, which he used to his favour when he worked as. Street magician and a conman in order to get something to eat.

When he grew a bit older, he joined a gang and used his mental abilities to commit briliant crimes. However, he wasn't happy there, as the other gang members were scared of his mental abilities, and mocked him for his cautious approach and general "wierdness".

But he didn't have to suffer for long. Soon enough, the riddler came for the young boy, intending to offer him a position as his apprentice after hearing rumors of his intellect.

Batman got there first. He followed riddler and defeated him, and then used his other identity in order to offer young perry a scholarship in any university he could dream of, a good salary that will also support his mother, and a getaway from criminal life.

Perry agreed, and thus begun his new life. He studied, getting more and more awards in a distant university, away from the eyes of the riddler. Batman, that was afraid of the appereance of another adversary as dangerous as the riddler, did everything he could to hide Perry from trauma and sorrow, and even hiding from perry the fact his mother died during a battle between him and some gang members.

Riddler, after months of searching, managed to track the young boy, who studied under a fake identity in a distant city, and started contacting him. He intrigued him with riddles and puns, drew him deeper and deeper into a web of truth and lies, luring him back to gotham, and hinting that bruce wayne was not the man he thought he was.

Perry, who was so happy to meet someone like him, didn't think twice before he fell into the riddler's hands. He pushed him to investigate, to find out answers of his own instead of the ones he was given, to use his streetwise instead of counting on others.

Soon enough, he deducted (using the hints from the riddler) that Bruce wayne is batman, and confronted him about it. The confrontation evolved into an argument, and when Perry found out about the lies that batman buried him in, it became a battle.

And then, understanding he stood no real chance against the caped crusader, Perry escaped, tearfull and bloodied, into the night...straight into the open arms of the riddler - his new mentor, father figure, teacher, master.

He took on the nickname he got in college for his love of riddles - the sphinx, and designed a costume and a cane with that name in mind, including a khopesh blade that is sheathed inside the blade, creating the imagry of a question mark when it is drawn out, connected to the head of the cane.

More fluff and mechanichs shall follow

29. - Top - End - #29

Expressing interest. Working on something like an apprentice or potential heir to Doctor Fate.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Expressing interest. Working on something like an apprentice or potential heir to Doctor Fate.
    Interesting. Did you know that in the DC universe, there is technically a sub-race of human, called Homo Magi?