The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: hannahbbug3 OOC

Welcome to the Arena hannahbug3!

This will be our OOC home where I'll gladly answer all of your questions and help you wade through the rules and create your character.

Character Creation: Follow the rules located in the PDF to create two 1st level characters. It might be best to start with concept and try to create that character. If you download the PDF, it should be bookmarked with all the relevant headers and you should be able to follow links in the TOC as well.

Updateable Google Sheets character sheets

Some options might not be available, or will require a bit more work on my end. Usually, those things have an * to let you know they are still WIP. Most notable character option is an Animal Companion or Bonded Animal. I could probably run an Animal Companion, but a Bonded Animal would be a bit much. Plus, the Arena would be a bit hard on them as well.

I ask you create a character as if you were considering making them for a campaign. Though you won't be engaging in any real social situations, it shouldn't be completely neglected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: hannahbbug3

I have made it to the 'skills' section of the handbook and have an idea for at least one character already! Will have to actually get to creation though to see if the points will work out for it. May have some incoming questions about the Manifestations.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome, I'm here for any questions you may have. I've got about two hours before clients so I should be pretty responsive.

What are you opinions so far?

What is your character concept?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The system seems pretty straightforward. I'm working on creating my own homebrew system, too. It's very different from yours and it's interesting to see how different minds work! The only "criticism" I have right now is that the font on the tables (for like weapons, armor, etc.) and the font on the character sheet is super small.

I'm having some trouble with the Character Sheet. The PDF does not seem to be editable and the google doc, when I open it, isn't correctly formatted. Should I like... print it out, fill in everything, then scan and upload it or something?

NEVERMIND THE LINK IN YOUR RECRUITMENT THREAD WORKS
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-19 at 01:49 PM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

And double post so you don't miss it:

First character concept is a really fragile-looking character (perhaps old or elderly) who has some supernatural gifts to overcome their weaknesses. Like perhaps they're blind, but make up for it with blind-fight and blind-sense? Perhaps a Death caster or some sort of Poisoner. Though not sure how well such a character will do in the arena, we'll find out!

Don't have a second concept as of yet. Getting there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    The system seems pretty straightforward. I'm working on creating my own homebrew system, too. It's very different from yours and it's interesting to see how different minds work! The only "criticism" I have right now is that the font on the tables (for like weapons, armor, etc.) and the font on the character sheet is super small.

I'm having some trouble with the Character Sheet. The PDF does not seem to be editable and the google doc, when I open it, isn't correctly formatted. Should I like... print it out, fill in everything, then scan and upload it or something?

NEVERMIND THE LINK IN YOUR RECRUITMENT THREAD WORKS
    Just updated the links to the google sheets one and posted one in the OP here.

Fonts are meant for it to be 8.5x11 and works well enough printed out.

Glad you feel it is straight forward, I know how my mind works, but I'm not so sure about others, haha.

Well, I will definitely repay the favor when your system reaches a solid playtest point. And yes, it is always fascinating how people address similar problems.

And double post so you don't miss it:

First character concept is a really fragile-looking character (perhaps old or elderly) who has some supernatural gifts to overcome their weaknesses. Like perhaps they're blind, but make up for it with blind-fight and blind-sense? Perhaps a Death caster or some sort of Poisoner. Though not sure how well such a character will do in the arena, we'll find out!

Don't have a second concept as of yet. Getting there.
    Poisoner won't work unfortunately, basically all those poisons aren't finished yet and the Poisoner feat line is still WIP. Sorry about that.

Though, if you want to do Old or Elderly you should definitely look at the Ki powers, there are some perception based ones. I've also been playing around mentally with an actually Blind Disadvantage, not just the Poor Eyesight.

What is really nice is that after 1st level you'll be able to really shape the direction of your character, I've found that there is a ton of organic character growth that happens. I don't think a single person who has played it yet has had a level 5 character with the exact options they've planned at level 1.

And if you've got an old man, maybe you need a young apprentice to accompany them.

Oh, and if you link me your sheet I'll gladly spot check it along the way for you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Poisoner won't work unfortunately, basically all those poisons aren't finished yet and the Poisoner feat line is still WIP. Sorry about that.

Though, if you want to do Old or Elderly you should definitely look at the Ki powers, there are some perception based ones. I've also been playing around mentally with an actually Blind Disadvantage, not just the Poor Eyesight.

What is really nice is that after 1st level you'll be able to really shape the direction of your character, I've found that there is a ton of organic character growth that happens. I don't think a single person who has played it yet has had a level 5 character with the exact options they've planned at level 1.

And if you've got an old man, maybe you need a young apprentice to accompany them.

Oh, and if you link me your sheet I'll gladly spot check it along the way for you.
    Ah, darn, no alchemist yet, then. Will rework for more "monkish" type character and look at the ki stuff!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, darn, no alchemist yet, then. Will rework for more "monkish" type character and look at the ki stuff!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Thanks for the link. There is a limit on two flaws, though I meant to give Elderly the ability to choose Hard of Hearing and Poor Eyesight. So, you've got a few too many Flaws.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the link. There is a limit on two flaws, though I meant to give Elderly the ability to choose Hard of Hearing and Poor Eyesight. So, you've got a few too many Flaws.
    Dinguses, I'll fannegle stuff around.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Dinguses, I'll fannegle stuff around.
    No worries. Looks like you've purchased 13 points in Telekinesis not 12, and make sure to highly ranks 1-4 as well. if you would do that on all the abilities, if you have rank 4, fill in ranks 1, 2, 3, and 4 kind of like a bar.

Oh, and you can delete that extra tab. I realized after I started making a nice Monster sheet that I had linked to my master sheet not the copy I set aside for the arena.

Edit: And those size blocks you highlighted are to represent Massive and Miniscule. I probably don't need them on the main character sheet.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

No worries. Looks like you've purchased 13 points in Telekinesis not 12, and make sure to highly ranks 1-4 as well. if you would do that on all the abilities, if you have rank 4, fill in ranks 1, 2, 3, and 4 kind of like a bar.

Oh, and you can delete that extra tab. I realized after I started making a nice Monster sheet that I had linked to my master sheet not the copy I set aside for the arena.

Edit: And those size blocks you highlighted are to represent Massive and Miniscule. I probably don't need them on the main character sheet.
    Done and done, I think I'm onto the part where I have to do math now

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I have done all the math and crunch stuff. Now to put flesh on the skeleton! And make him a friend!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Not bad at all. There are a couple of errors.

1. Hero Points, he should have 5 instead of 10. At level 1 he is subject to the level based max of 5xLevel.
    2. Skill Ability Modifier is 1/2 Ability Rank(Rounded Down)
    3. Attacks are +0/-4/-8 not +0/-2/-4

If you wanted to drop the one rank in Heroism you could pick up a Rank in Skills, might be a solid option at this level.

I'll take a closer look later, gotta client now.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The attacks should be 1/-3/-7. It is just the multi-attack penalty is 0/-4/-8. Sorry about that!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome, you really made some headway there!

Things that still need a little work.

1. Portraits- You can actually insert the entire image into the spreadsheet cell, that way the image will show up and do its best to fill the cell. Also, that is what the big box is on the front page, another portrait spot and I intend the spot below as another name and title location.

2. Critical DC- It is just 10 + Ranks in Combat Training(Attack)

3. Skills- Sorry I wasn't very clear, you were calculating your skill points correctly before, your level base is 6 and you have 2 ranks in Skills for both characters. So each has 12 Base Skill Points. And they should have 14 and 6 respectively for Acuity Skill Points. What I meant about the ability modifier is where you add your ranks + ability modifier to get your total skill modifier, this is 1/2 half your ranks in the Ability. So Chaucer has 2 Ranks in Dexterity, when calculating his Acrobatics Skill he has 0 Ranks in Acrobatic and an ability Modifier for Dexterity of 1(1/2 of 2 Ranks) for a total Acrobatics Modifier of +1. See pg 88 for the calculation.

Desira should have 58 Skill Points, 12 + 6 + 40. Chaucer should have 66 Skill Points, 12 + 14 + 40

PS Desira is a beast of a woman, I would not want to find myself on the wrong end of a dark alley against that maul.

4. Perception and Insight. Those are passive skills, you'll fill them out to match the table on page 89. It is 5+Skill Modifier for the DD or Double Disadvantage block, then 7+Sk Mod for the Disadvantage, 10 + Mod for normal, then 13+ for Advantage and 15+ for Double Advantage.

With Chaucer's disabilities he'll be using the Disadvantaged column most of the time unless there are other modifiers at play such as seeking or searching which would improve him to normal or advantage respectively.

5. Desira's initiative is 3, +2 for Dex and +1 for Acuity.

6. Desira's Wound Points aren't quite that high, she gets 8 base for Human and her Constitution of 4 grants her 2 more, so she has 10.

That was everything I saw. I'll take a deeper dive tonight and I think we'll have an Arena rolling before the night is up!

Edit: Can we change the color of the marking on one of the sheets or both to whatever color you'll want to represent your characters? That way I'll use those colors to mark their positions on the map.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: hannahbbug3 OOC

Once those final updates are done and we give it a final look we'll need this. IC Thread

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Working on those edits!! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Friend had a medical emergency and when that was dealt with it was sleeping time.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

No worries, looks like those changes are coming along.

As an FYI, I do have Intimidation in combat rules, just didnít have them in the play test material yet, but youíll have access to them with your absolutely terrifying Desira!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

All my enemies will flee before me! ~The Lioness, probably

I think the changes are done! Let me know if there's anything else that needs doing!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll give it another once over after lunch, but you should be good to go. Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing essentially polar opposite characters, it will yield some very useful feedback and test a variety of different aspects.

What did you think of the character creation process? Do your characters "feel" like they have captured what you envisioned? Do the characters feel mechanically different enough? Do the characters "feel" like "real" people? And any other feedback you've got for me.

1. Desira has Weapon Focus in Hammers so her Crit DC will be the 10(base) + 5(CTA) +1(WF) for a total of 16.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Something I still need to do for both sheets: Calculate saves. I found where to set the DC for Chaucer's powers, but can't find where to calculate the saves.

The creation process is pretty intuitive. I'd put the time it took to make Chaucer (at least, mostly, not counting the edits) at about 2 hours, which is really good considering it was an entirely new system for me. It usually takes me about 1.5-2 hours to create a character in pathfinder, a system which I am totally comfortable with, so it lines up well and is comparable - even a little faster, probably, once you get used to the system. Desira took about half the time Chaucer did, so that says a lot for how easy the system is to grasp. (Then again, Desira didn't have as many points to spend and wasn't fooling around with powers, but that's sort of like the difference between making a PF Fighter and a PF Sorcerer, isn't it?)

The tables that you have in the book for calculating derived scores are really useful. The only complaint I have is that it was a lot of scrolling back and forth between the tables and the little boxes that told me what I needed to get from the tables. It went something like this: "Okay, time to calculate Initiative. I need to look at the Dexterity and Acuity tables, okay. *scroll down* all right, the Dex table, now I need to see what Desira's Dex is, *change tab, look, change tab back* line that up on the table, okay... she's got a 4, so that's a 2... what was that other thing I needed? *scroll up* Right, Acuity. *scroll down* Okay, she's got a... *change tab* 3, so that's a 1... wait, what was that first number again? Dex... *change tab* right, 4, 2... so, 2 and 1... am I supposed to add or multiply these? *scroll up*-"

I can say that I ended up having to hold up fingers and count because I kept getting confused, and perhaps that's just my own absentmindedness, but I think it'd be useful if you had the tables and the "math" boxes closer together so there would be less scrolling/turning pages if the book was in print? Maybe an appendix would be good for that? I don't know, now that I say that it feels really nit-picky, but I can say that that part was definitely the most tedious part of the character creation process. Of course, calculating the derived stuff always is. I think the way you do it in itself is good, the math makes sense and it produces bounded numbers, so I wouldn't change the system itself, just the way it's organized in the book.

As for how the characters feel, I'm pretty happy with the result. They feel less like real people than other characters I've made, but that's because I haven't quite put in all the effort I have with characters in the past with their like, backstories and such. I definitely would do so for a campaign, but an arena setting is a bit different, you know? I also don't "invest" too heavily in characters for other arena games, since I know they're short-lived, so it feels about right. I'll have to see them in action to know for sure if I've captured what I envisioned, but I was certainly able to find options in your system that reflected the types of characters I wanted to make.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-20 at 12:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Saves are just a straight up ability check. 1d20 + Ability ranks + any Feat bonus like Iron Will. Thatís it. The little save box by the abilities is just to not what other bonus you might have.

I donít think that is bad time wise. In person with a physical print and book itís much much fast with the derived statistics as you look at your sheet and look at the book and flip a chunk of the book. It is a pain digitally. Later, I plan on making an auto calculating digital sheet that will speed up the process.

I could put mini tables in the derived statistics section, just a 0-10 ranks what lists exactly what is needed for that calculation. Itíd eliminate most of that flipping when making a character.

Yeah, I canít expect the full kind of investment for an arena as a campaign, but the goal was to be able to mechanically reflect what youíre looking for easily and reflect differences in balanced but mechanically meaningful ways. Watching someone build a royal when it gets to purchasing equipment when the person next to them is a peasant is hilarious and feels right.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, one more thing. Do you want to pick up Chaucer an Arming Jacket/Gambeson? It is dirt cheap and since it's cloth armor it doesn't require any armor proficiency.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

All right! Well, if everything looks good to you, I think we can get started! Will post in the IC shortly!

EDIT: Adding that lil bit of armor to Chaucer first!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-20 at 01:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Getting one more post up, but then I'm going to be out for a while! Tonight is homecoming at the high school and they are getting me to sing the national anthem.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Getting one more post up, but then I'm going to be out for a while! Tonight is homecoming at the high school and they are getting me to sing the national anthem.
    Sounds good! Cool, as someone with no musical aptitude, count me impressed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

So does Chaucer have a full turn, or just one action?

EDIT: Also, thanks~ I'm very musically inclined An IRL bard, lol.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-20 at 02:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaucer is not surprised allowing him to act in the Surprise Round. The Surprise Round is a single action long so Chaucer has one Action before normal rounds occur. And if it matters, Desira is Flat-footed until she acts.

Edit: Haha, an IRL bard. I'd be a merchant by day and a warrior by night, read that as I own a gym and my business is personal training and I have an IRL Strength score higher than many characters I've played, lol!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol, meanwhile I'm just at the point where I can finally do ten push ups without feeling like I'm going to die. I've been working out more recently to help with depression, though, so I'm getting better!
    On the other hand, I've performed at Carnegie Hall.

Also, turns out my father's going to the gym, so we're not meeting him for another 30 minutes, so got a bit more time to try and get through this first combat!

EDIT: ALSO I just read that those stirges only have 1 HP anyway so there was no need to upscale the attack and Chaucer would probably know that with his nature check, or the equivalent? All right if I retroactively take that back down to only 1 power point and don't upscale? Totally okay if not!
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-20 at 02:48 PM.