The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: hannahbbug3 OOC

Sounds good!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, my slew of posts is done. Found myself forgetting to attack Chaucer and then forgetting to roll his armor save.

What happened was

Archer 2 fired two shots at Desira, both hit and both cover saves were successful saving her any damage.

Archer 1 fired twice at Chaucer, missed once, hit the other. The hit was for 5 damage which was partially negated by HR from the armor, then hip last HP soaked some, then his Armor kicked in and it stopped some and some finally carried over to WP.

Essentially what happened to Chaucer was the most complicated kind of strike, haha.

He took a bit of Wound Point Damage, but to illustrate how nasty this could have been. Had that attack been a nat 20 and Chaucer failed his DC12 Luck Save it would have been 10 Damage and even if his armor worked he would have taken 9 and been dropped by Massive Damage and had 4-7 rounds to make difficult saves or be saved.

Criticals skip HP, so consequently no HR as well. And each damage type has a critical effect, Piercing is the scariest, they get an additional D6 damage unless they are very small creatures. Bludgeoning Esposes targets granting you advantage, and slashing gets advantage on the damage roll etc.

Needless to say, Chauncer getting a flesh wound there wasn't too bad.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I have returned from my sister's Roller Derby bout!

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad you're back.

Ok, so the Skeleton Warrior had moved and was further away than you'd want. Also, we've got to account for actions here a bit.

It will take a full Move Action to walk and fall off the ledge in the right spot. That is 1.0. To grab the ledge it'd require her to drop a hand off her maul and a .5 Reaction with the DC10(-) Athletics Check or suffer Disadvantage on the check. The reaction takes .5 Actions, so she's already losing her second attack here. Then she could free action drop to the ground which she should automatically succeed on. Then she'd need to put her hand back on the Maul which is a total of 2.0 actions. That leaves her 1.0 for a swing.

If she doesn't do the grab ledge she take 1 and possible 2 poitns of Wound Point Damage and will be Prone. All sorts of bad news, so what was described above is her best course of action.

Here is her Athletics Check to Grab that Ledge (1d20+3)[4]

Edit: Ouch, that wasn't great. Her options are a Destiny Point to retry(I'll let you use the one you rolled already for a success) or she can drop her Maul completely and try again. Your choice.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll use the one I already tried! And take the success on the first attack?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I'll resolve the Desira Actions. That Destiny Point stopped her from being prone. And both skeletons have readied actions to move on any enemy that enters the lowered area. So, without that destiny point she takes WP damage, is prone, and only has 1.5 actions left with enemies within melee range. Ouch!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, wow, that was quite a bit. Some of these Shield and Armor rolls are very fast on the table, less so in PbP. Let me know if you have questions about how any of that happened.

At least if the Lioness is going to get stabbed, she get's stabbed in the torso and gets the "best" Minor Wound result.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Great run, you put for a solid fight and had a real chance of winning that one. My calculations for CR say that should be "Double Deadly" and result in character death the majority of the time. The "Moderate" encounter with the Stirges and Traps you crushed.

Do you want to play out Chauncer's last hurrah or do you want to write a final post and we can get your characters leveled to 5.

A good way to do it is to go level by level and try to make decisions as if it was after a session and you got to use your character. I've found that leveling in chunks creates different character than doing it step by step.

When you're ready, give me your thoughts on the fight, the system, any feedback you've got for me. Edit: Most importantly, did you have fun and enjoy it?

Edit: Well, Chauncer has to deal with that slippery wall. We could yet find his corpse at the bottom of it. And yeah, I could see Desira fighting on, but Chauncer without a drop of power left is pretty much at the end of his rope.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

He's still got 6 WP left, he'll survive that drop. Probably.

Desira Lv. 5

Chaucer Lv. 5

Ta daaaaaaa! Let me know if anything's wrong.

Combat felt unforgiving, but it was meant to; level one characters should not win the fight against those skeletons without a miracle. The system seems good so far! Will have to see how it does as I level up. Gotta say, the curve of growth seems really small, just from leveling my characters. Not sure if it's supposed to be slow, if it in fact is slow at all - will have to see the improvement on the next arena run - or what your intended growth speed is meant to be in the first place. It may be perfect, but I dunno. It certainly didn't feel as much like a power spike compared to a level 1-5 jump in PF, but then again, your system goes to a much higher level.

EDIT: I did enjoy it! It was grueling, but like I said, I know it was meant to be for the squishy babies.

My fiance and I will probably knock our heads together about it once he gets through his arena run! We were talking on the way home from the derby game about what characters he thinks he's going to try and build.

EDIT: rs2excelsior's my fiance
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-21 at 11:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha, he'd survive the drop... just be in pretty bad shape.

Well that makes sense. I'm curious to see what he comes up with too.

Couple things on your sheet.

1. Chaucer does actually get 1pt of bonus damage with his dagger for the Precision property and his Dex.

2. Hero Points: Chaucer is at 10/25(Max for level) and he may find that pretty low. At level 5 I'd expect a character to get that third rank. Desira is at 20/30, same story, she might eye up another rank.

3. Skill Points: You sure neither of them want to get some more skill points?

4. Forgot Desira has Rage.

5. Currency. Character did gain their wealth in gp each level, so +8gp for each. Backup ranged weapon, etc?

Yeah, combat can be unforgiving, but honestly, not necessarily worse than say level one in PF. It is very easy to get one shot in PF at level one, it's actually harder to get one shot at level 1 in BSF. Now, it "feels" more brutal, but you're hardier.

A lvl1 BSF character is kind of like a level 2 character in PF and a level 5 BSF character is like a level 4 character in PF. You should have gone from level 1 to level 5 in roughly 5 solid sessions. Capability wise I think you'll see a huge difference between level 1 and level 5 on the table and if you got that in just four sessions, IMO you never feel stuck. You can always snag that next thing.

Does a level 1 BSF character feel more capable than a 1st level PF character, like they can do more things?

As for the grueling aspect, it's partially testing my CR rules. Wave 1/2/3/4/5 are moderate/difficult challenges for levels 1/5/10/15/20.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Rearranging some things. Take a look at Chaucer's sheet, it should be done. Desira's will be updated in a sec, too!

EDIT: Well, "done" in terms of numbers. Might pick up some new equipment with that monies.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-22 at 12:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

They look good, didn't see any errors on my once over.

I made a new map for lvl 5, but figured we can keep the same IC, just made a new post.

Overall, how do you rate my DMing and Pbp presentation? Anything you want me to work on?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Your style works well for PbP, especially an arena run. The hardest thing to do in PbP is combat and this is basically nothing but, so keeping your responses quick and concise is perfect. I also like the pictures you supply! Really helps getting an image in my head for what I'm facing. Your descriptions are good, too, and of course the map helps.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaucer pulls out his dagger, gotta say I didn't see that one coming! I'm surprised he isn't just throwing out Force Moves for 1PP, he'll kill one every 7 actions or so. Or he can spend PP and Force push them into things. He gets a Combat Maneuver check at Double advantage against their passive Disadvantage and only needs a Major Success to splat one.

I'll get the Stirges turn up here shortly.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

MEGA KILL

just for funsies, let's roll damage on that attack?

(1d12+4)[9]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    MEGA KILL

just for funsies, let's roll damage on that attack?

[roll0]
    Had the Stirge possessed HP the attack would have bypassed them and gone straight after WP. So armor save. Oh, and since it's bludgeoning the target would have been exposed giving you advantage on your next attack against it. And I'd like to point out that even with Chauncer's armor that crit would put him down in one if he failed the luck save to negate it.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Where is the stirge I am seeking to kill there are 5 on the map
    Actually I suppose it doesn't matter with a ranged attack

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

My mistake, anyway off to bed.

Given how trivial the stirges would be at level 10, we'll be starting that one at Wave 2 when we get there. No need to play Wave 1 out for higher level unless you want to. Barring a crit, the Stirges don't really pose a threat after level 2. But Dire Stirges, now they'd be scary.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Are Chaucer's Power Points right? I'm working on the level 10 sheets and I think I did the math for the level 5 ones wrong. Should he only have 25 power points? I don't know where the 40 came from I can't figure it out.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, you've completed Wave 1, this time you did it and are at absolute max for resources. You didn't overspend on HP or PP and got lucky with no crits to no negative status effects or WP damage. You completed it one round faster than before. But Chauncer has supper back luck on the saves.

Would you say the difficulty of that fight moved from Moderate to Trivial?

Ok, Wave 2 is set and active! Nevermind, you're already active. I'll get the IC updated for you and we'll be off.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Are Chaucer's Power Points right? I'm working on the level 10 sheets and I think I did the math for the level 5 ones wrong. Should he only have 25 power points? I don't know where the 40 came from I can't figure it out.
    Ohh, can't believe I missed that. 40 looked a bit high, but yes he should have (3+2) x 5 for 25 total.

And I forgot to track one rounds of his PP usage. So after catching his breath he only expended 2PP and is at 23/25PP.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, that turn was absolutely brutal, the worst roll against Chauncer out of the first 6 d20s was an 11(11, 12, 16, 19, 20, 18) and he couldn't make Shield, Cover, or Armor saves to save his life, literally. (1d10)[7](1d2)[1] (Torso) see where he took WP damage for narration.

Come on Desira!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

am i still raging roll

(1d4)[4]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

You roll the Rage at the end of each round after the first. You don't have to check until the end of the second round. She Raged Round 3 and that check was her end of Round 4 check. So she doesn't check again until after her next round's actions.

Anyway, she exploded that skeleton warrior and almost put a beating on the second.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! I COMMITTED THE MURDER!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

yay! I committed the murder!
    *re-murder

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    *re-murder
    *technicalities*

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Want to roll your Rage?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

yes! i forgot!

(1d4)[1]

dang it
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-09-25 at 10:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Bahaha, you crunched it soooooo hard. Max damage, 16 Wound Points, 14 if its armor works. Like, that is a lot of damage in one hit.

Wave 2 is done. 48s. I'll get Wave 3 rolling here in a bit, given how dinged up Desira and Chauncer are, I'm not thinking it's going to be too optimistic.

So, what did you think?
    Did your characters feel more powerful?
    How did combat feel?
    What do you think about Shields, Armor?
    How about Vulnerability, ie Advantage on Damage rolls?
    Any other feedback?