The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: woodwalker OOC

Welcome to the Arena woodwalker!

This will be our OOC home where I'll gladly answer all of your questions and help you wade through the rules and create your character.

Character Creation: Follow the rules located in the PDF to create two 1st level characters. It might be best to start with concept and try to create that character. If you download the PDF, it should be bookmarked with all the relevant headers and you should be able to follow links in the TOC as well.

Updateable Google Sheets character sheets

Some options might not be available, or will require a bit more work on my end. Usually, those things have an * to let you know they are still WIP. Most notable character option is an Animal Companion or Bonded Animal. I could probably run an Animal Companion, but a Bonded Animal would be a bit much. Plus, the Arena would be a bit hard on them as well.

I ask you create a character as if you were considering making them for a campaign. Though you won't be engaging in any real social situations, it shouldn't be completely neglected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: woodwalker

This is cool! I like the full point buy system; I was (am?) working on a game that uses something similar with my brother. Makes character creation and leveling up very straightforward. I like the quick level up idea, too, since I think thats most peoples favorite part of playing, haha.

First thoughts were to be a standard human ranger type, but then that "Laborer" background caught my eye and now I'm thinking half-Giant or half-Orc who used to be a blacksmith and somehow ended up adventuring or what have you. It'd be a fighter/barbarian type. I haven't gotten to how magic works, so maybe they'd pick some of that up at later levels if thats a thing, but we'll see how it goes.

Currently my Character sheet isn't editable, so I copied it to a new place and I can link it to you, or you can just change the permissions or whatever on the one you have here and I can move my stuff in there, either way. I haven't done much writing down yet and probably won't until later today, so it doesn't change much for me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, glad you're liking it so far. I'm a big fan of the microleveling too, creates some fantastic organic character growth and no one I've encountered has been able to plan what there character will look like at level 5, it always changes.

Human Hunter aka "Ranger" and a Half-Orc/Giant Laborer sounds like a fun party.

Only decision about Magic to make is if you are going Mundane, it forgoes any Powers(still will want power poitns for magic items etc) for an Innate rank in Heroism which is solid.

Yep, copy the sheet and link it to me. You can give me edit access if you want me to help you clean it up as needed. Otherwise I'm happy to just do that via forum.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent, here is Kurok the Smith, the small start on him I've done:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
    Excellent, here is Kurok the Smith, the small start on him I've done:

Perfect. Kurok the Smith, solid name. If you have questions as you go along just throw them here. Otherwise, I'll check in on the sheet as you go.

How are you finding the rulebook so far?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: woodwalker OOC

The Rule book is good! But I do find the character sheet a little confusing and sort of busy. For instance, I'm not sure exactly how to mark Ability Scores:

https://i.imgur.com/Pn6IRci.png

I see those spots for Innate and Supernatural and Size, but I'm not sure how they relate exactly, or what I should mark. I guess if it was printed out I would just circle them and then add stuff up later.

There's just a LOT of info on the character sheet that might not need to be there because you have it in the handbook. Scores and CP values and such. UNLESS you plan on making that sheet interactive and be able to select stuff like ability scores, backgrounds, races, skills and what have you in there and have it all calc for you. That'd be really cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The Rule book is good! But I do find the character sheet a little confusing and sort of busy. For instance, I'm not sure exactly how to mark Ability Scores:

https://i.imgur.com/Pn6IRci.png

I see those spots for Innate and Supernatural and Size, but I'm not sure how they relate exactly, or what I should mark. I guess if it was printed out I would just circle them and then add stuff up later.

There's just a LOT of info on the character sheet that might not need to be there because you have it in the handbook. Scores and CP values and such. UNLESS you plan on making that sheet interactive and be able to select stuff like ability scores, backgrounds, races, skills and what have you in there and have it all calc for you. That'd be really cool.
    Yeah, the sheets work out better when printed out and you just shade them in and add up the points. Here is an example, .85 version, but you'll get the jist. I used black and white, it was two steps and just shading the cells with the color of choice for the character is all you need.

Unless a character is small, they won't fill in any of the size ranks. A character based upon their race might have some Innate Ranks. Half-Giants have an Innate Rank in both Strength and Constitution, so fill in one of the Innate Pips for each abilitity.

The only way you get Supernatural Ranks is to have the Might, Agility, or Toughness Powers like Supernatural Strength.

The number inside the boxes is the cost of the rank in Character Points. Pay the CPs and fill in the rank. When you're done, add up all the filled in boxes to determine the ability rank.

Yeah, eventually I want to make a completely interactive sheet that will automatically tabulate your CP balance. With a printed copy, most CP tabulation is done off the sheet and only only reference things as needed in the handbook. I think it'd be too hard to calculate CP expenditure if it wasn't listed on the sheet for each thing you can select. But I definitely get the point the sheet is a bit busy, the real question is that business worth the convenience.

Edit: Another Example
    Sample Level 10 Character- Zaavariel(Made in V.85)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks! That example is super helpful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

No problem I was pretty dumb and didn't include one originally. One thing that is pretty common feedback is how nice it is to visualize a character, being able to see their abilities like a visible bar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since Half-Giants come as "unnatractive" if I make him "ugly" do I still get +3 CP or only +2?

EDIT: OK, Kurok is essentially done. Please make sure I didn't make any mistakes, glaring or otherwise. I'll start on my Ranger soon.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-20 at 10:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Half-Giants come as "unnatractive" if I make him "ugly" do I still get +3 CP or only +2?

EDIT: OK, Kurok is essentially done. Please make sure I didn't make any mistakes, glaring or otherwise. I'll start on my Ranger soon.
    1. Couple things I noticed right away, counting your ranks. Look at Strength, you have 7 purchases ranks and 1 Innate rank for a total of 8.

2. Don't forget the discount for Powerful Build for being a half-giant.

3. Yes, you get the discount for being even uglier than normal for a half-giant. You do'n't get the full amount.

Awesome job!

Edit: Oh, and those Ms you selected represent Massive, so as a Medium you wonít fill in any of them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, Iím oh my phone, on a treadmill actually, so bear with me for any formatting or typos.

I see what is confusing, ranks are just how many pips are filled in. For strength you purchases 7 ranks and have an innate rank, that make 8 ranks in strength. Now, to determine your strength modifier for various things you will look up the strength table in the abilities section. Different things have different progressions. For instance 8 ranks in strength will be a Brute attack modifier of 2 and a melee damage modifier of 4.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Got it! I thought I saw something about the modifier being half rounding down, so I just put that there. I'll put in the full ranks instead. Are the ranks what I use in the skill section too? Or is that a modifier add.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Got it! I thought I saw something about the modifier being half rounding down, so I just put that there. I'll put in the full ranks instead. Are the ranks what I use in the skill section too? Or is that a modifier add.
    The ability Modifier for Skills is one half your ranks. So that is probably what was confusing.

For a finished product Iíll have a page with an example character build that would cover all those things step by step, but itís great seeing what challenges people.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    The ability Modifier for Skills is one half your ranks. So that is probably what was confusing.

For a finished product Iíll have a page with an example character build that would cover all those things step by step, but itís great seeing what challenges people.
    THATS what it was.

Ok, starting on the 'ranger':

I think I'm going to make her a Child, which I see reduces her size. It also says that you gain the Feeble and Delicate flaws. I'm assuming that the CP bonuses from those flaws area already built into the -12 for taking "Child", is that right? I wouldn't think that I'd double up on it.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-20 at 12:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

THATS what it was.

Ok, starting on the 'ranger':

I think I'm going to make her a Child, which I see reduces her size. It also says that you gain the Feeble and Delicate flaws. I'm assuming that the CP bonuses from those flaws area already built into the -12 for taking "Child", is that right? I wouldn't think that I'd double up on it.
    Yep, the Child Flaw acts like a package to get multiple flaws without bumping up against the 2 Flaw limit.

A child will be quite interesting. So far in my play testing no one has chosen a child. Old yes, Scrawny yes, not a child.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yep, the Child Flaw acts like a package to get multiple flaws without bumping up against the 2 Flaw limit.

A child will be quite interesting. So far in my play testing no one has chosen a child. Old yes, Scrawny yes, not a child.
    Yeah, it seemed kinda intersting, and 12 points is a lot to play around with.

I'm looking at powers now, too, so maybe a bit more magey than ranger. I was going to choose some powers with a sort of natury flare, but there isn't much of that at the moment, so I'm going to do some True Elementalist instead. Before I go any further with that I'd ask you take a look and see if I'm at least close, haha.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it seemed kinda intersting, and 12 points is a lot to play around with.

I'm looking at powers now, too, so maybe a bit more magey than ranger. I was going to choose some powers with a sort of natury flare, but there isn't much of that at the moment, so I'm going to do some True Elementalist instead. Before I go any further with that I'd ask you take a look and see if I'm at least close, haha.
    12CP is alot. As soon as I realized your dark green was denoting the "free" stuff from other. You can change the CP cost of those things to 0 as well. Personally, that is how I mark it.

You need to mark the little "s" box under size for Dexterity. Being small gives you a size rank to Dexterity just as being large gives you ones to Strength and Con.

Overall, it looks super good. I'm not sure what to do for primal or nature type magics. There are some feats for animal companions and bonded animals and familiars which can give the animal side of a ranger. I've kind of conceptualized magic as the manipulation of forces and not conjuration.

Also, for being small you'll need to multiply their WPs by their size modifier for small which is .75x.

I'm loving that your party is a massive half-giant and a human child.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

12CP is alot. As soon as I realized your dark green was denoting the "free" stuff from other. You can change the CP cost of those things to 0 as well. Personally, that is how I mark it.

You need to mark the little "s" box under size for Dexterity. Being small gives you a size rank to Dexterity just as being large gives you ones to Strength and Con.

Overall, it looks super good. I'm not sure what to do for primal or nature type magics. There are some feats for animal companions and bonded animals and familiars which can give the animal side of a ranger. I've kind of conceptualized magic as the manipulation of forces and not conjuration.

Also, for being small you'll need to multiply their WPs by their size modifier for small which is .75x.

I'm loving that your party is a massive half-giant and a human child.
    Haha yeah, me too. I didn't think of it while working on it, but its got sort of a Bioshock sort of feel to it...

EDIT: the weapon size, is that the size you need to be to wield it? If so, there's no bow that a small character can use?
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-20 at 03:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Small characters will need to use the Small Shortbow. The listed size is how much space it takes for equipment on your sheets.

I'm just realizing that I didn't do my notes for weapons of different sizes. Essentially Small characters can use Offhand as Light, and Light as One handed and Versatile as 2-handed and cannot use 2-handed. And small characters need a small bow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok cool. Had to move my Innate bonus from Dex to Str in order to let her use a bow at all, but thats fine. I assume when she starts levelling up I'll be putting more into power than into melee anyways.|

With that I think I'm pretty much done and ready to kick this thing off whenever you are!
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-20 at 03:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok cool. Had to move my Innate bonus from Dex to Str in order to let her use a bow at all, but thats fine. I assume when she starts levelling up I'll be putting more into power than into melee anyways.|

With that I think I'm pretty much done and ready to kick this thing off whenever you are!
    Awesome, I'll give them another glance and double check them. I'll have an IC for you shortly.

In the meantime...
    What did you think of character creation? How does it compare to other systems? How happy are you with your characters, do they fulfill the concepts, do they "feel" right? Do they feel different enough? Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also, thanks for pointing out small creatures and small bows, maybe that should be a Strength Requirement of 0. Or you need to buy the bow out of better materials. Or maybe children just aren't going to pose much of a threat with a bow, haha.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awesome, I'll give them another glance and double check them. I'll have an IC for you shortly.

Also, thanks for pointing out small creatures and small bows, maybe that should be a Strength Requirement of 0. Or you need to buy the bow out of better materials. Or maybe children just aren't going to pose much of a threat with a bow, haha.
    Sounds good! And having restrictions makes sense with these, especially a bow which innately needs strength. I don't think there's going to be many people out there picking child, much less child with a melee build anyways.

• What did you think of character creation? It takes a little while to figure it out, but its not difficult really. Granted I'm somewhat experienced when it comes rolling up characters, but in general I think it flows easily. If I had one criticism its that there is a lot of looking at different tables to find different modifiers; you have to flip back and forth a lot. Design wise that stuff makes a lot sense, but it might be a little number heavy for some.
    • How does it compare to other systems? VS. DND, especially 5e, its very different because the character creation there is very on rails. Here you can make a very broad character that can fit a lot of different roles at once.
    • How happy are you with your characters, do they fulfill the concepts, do they "feel" right? I started planning on running a ranger type, but moved away from it very quickly. I sort of like that my characters, especially the human child, don't fit into a specific concept. It feels like characters in this don't want to be shoehorned into type.
    • Do they feel different enough? Definitely, haha

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-woodwalker-IC

Look what I found!

I had to change Sarren's HP. He has 2 Ranks in Herois so that is 2x(3+1) = 8. But he bumps against the level cap of 5.

Don't forget the armor's ACP. Might want to just subtract that out of the checks right now.

Sarren will get some precision damage with his dagger. With 6 Dex that is 2 points of bonus damage.

Should be everything!

I'll be busy for the next two hours or so, but will be back on for a bit later tonight.

Thanks for the feedback!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

How tall are half-Giants?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

How tall are half-Giants?
    On average about 7-7.5í

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Windwalk needs to count both horizontal and vertical movement. Windwalk(3) would allow a character to move a maximum of 15' horizontally or up to 7.5' horizontal and 7.5' vertical. Unfortunately, Sarren doesn't have enough Windwalk power to make it up. He probably ends up like 2' short with his reach.

Oh, and it isn't a wall, the hallway continues at that level.

Edit: What makes most sense is that Kurok will just hoist Sarren up and he'll windwalk over. I'll go with that so you'll be able to post as soon as you get a chance.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Windwalk needs to count both horizontal and vertical movement. Windwalk(3) would allow a character to move a maximum of 15' horizontally or up to 7.5' horizontal and 7.5' vertical. Unfortunately, Sarren doesn't have enough Windwalk power to make it up. He probably ends up like 2' short with his reach.

Oh, and it isn't a wall, the hallway continues at that level.

Edit: What makes most sense is that Kurok will just hoist Sarren up and he'll windwalk over. I'll go with that so you'll be able to post as soon as you get a chance.

Thanks for all that! I must have read windwalk wrong.

How does casting work by the way? Is it one power point per manifestation? Do I recover them after a rest?

EDIT: Also, can I not cast somatic spells when holding a bow? Seems likely. Let me know and I'll change my post accordingly.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-20 at 09:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for all that! I must have read windwalk wrong.

How does casting work by the way? Is it one power point per manifestation? Do I recover them after a rest?

EDIT: Also, can I not cast somatic spells when holding a bow? Seems likely. Let me know and I'll change my post accordingly.
    It is a bit confusing as worded, definitely open to better ways of explaining it.

It is a powerpoint per level of manifesation. So manifesting Windwalk(2) costs 2 power points. Manifesting Windwalk(3) costs 3 etc.

Characters recover their ranks in Heroism and Power in HP and PP per hour of rest, or when Catching their Breath, essentially and break between combats you the instant small heal.

You absolutely can cast a somatic component while holding a bow. Holding the bow basically takes one hand, and you need the other hand for the ammuntion and darw. When not about to shoot it it only takes one hand to hold.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok cool, that makes sense.

Just so you know I probably won't be able to post much today after noon and tomorrow until evening sometime. I might be able to get an update or two off via mobile, but we'll see.