The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Steel, and Fire Arena: woodwalker OOC

I worries, thanks for the heads up. I think we’re pacing pretty solid, haha.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, interesting tactic and a stress test for the rules as written. Here are a couple of options.

Grab/Grapple Attempts will be Double Advantage Combat Maneuver Check vs an Advantage Combat Maneuver Defense. The Stirges literally have 0 CMD, so you've got really good odds on this one. You get Double Advantage +2 vs a 13.

Option 1
    Attempt to Grab two of them, primary advantage is that they won't be able to move into Serran's area and attack her. Though the stirges will be able to attack Kurok without any problem. As Kurok's hands are busy, by RAW he wouldn't get to attack them. But he could stop them from attacking Sarren.

Option 2
    Attempt a Grab on one of them, if successful attempt a Grapple. That results in a Grapple or potentially a Restrained, then attack making it Flatfooted and possible Exposed. Actually, can't Crit Succeed(beat by 10) for Restrained, best is Grapple.

Option 3
    Attempt a fist attack, then two more attacks with two weapon fighting(roll two dice per action) with your hands looking for 20s. Thematically, this isn't far off that reaching out and trying to grab and smoosh them.

Ok, which of those options best fits what you are going for?

Edit: Oh and I forgot to include this when the Stirges first appeared.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge Monsters
    Show

Stirges are horrid large monster mosquitos, the size of a man's hand, that try and suck the life out of anything they can. Stirges abandon their quarry when sated and attacks by single Stirges are rarely fatal. But everyone has hear the stories of finding a cow drained dry by a pack of them.

Stirges are Minuscule, have 1WP, 0HP, 18Def, and if they deal WP damage will latch on and force Con Saves to avoid being Drained. Upon Drained, the Stirge will abandon its quarry.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll take option 2!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Option 2 it is. I'll get that rolled out and see what happens. It was an interesting concept and without improvising it proved to be a good test of the rules.

Do you feel the system provided solid ways to express your desired actions?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey woodwalker, do you want me to roll those attacks for you, or do you want to take care of them?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think so! That grapple is more straightforward than dnd's can be some times, so it works well, haha.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
    I think so! That grapple is more straightforward than dnd's can be some times, so it works well, haha.
    Yeah, I find the way I've approached combat maneuvers to be much simpler and faster than 3.P for sure and hopefully fast to play.

The stirges have Def18. Would you like me to roll those attack for you. Oh, and in case I didn't mention it the map is updated each round to show positioning and WP/HP etc.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Yeah, I find the way I've approached combat maneuvers to be much simpler and faster than 3.P for sure and hopefully fast to play.

The stirges have Def18. Would you like me to roll those attack for you. Oh, and in case I didn't mention it the map is updated each round to show positioning and WP/HP etc.
    Didn't know that! cool. I added my rolls.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I've done that for years when running pbp. For the arena and analyzing feedback it is super helpful.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

As a strategy, Airblast saves from Serran would be at Double Disadvantage due to their Miniscule Size. Airblast and Fist is probably a solid strategy.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

yuuuuck, there's some awful rolls

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that was a cringe-worthy set for sure!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

As I mentioned in the IC I'm adding knockback damage to any of the powers capable of knocking something back 10'. It will be 1d4 for 10' and 1d6 for 10' and prone. I am already adding it to the Shove Combat Maneuver and consequently the Push and Pull Telekinesis powers that use Shove. The Air powers effectively doing the same effect should have the same treatment. Now the question is do I just make Airblast use the shove mechanic with blinded tacked on...

Once both characters make it past the hallway Wave 1 will be done and they'll get a chance to catch their breath.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that makes sense in some ways. Its effectively a shove anyways.

I think thats it for the stirges, right?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, stirges are done. Just need to get back up the wall and tackle the hallway to finish Wave 1.

it is basically a shove, and if something is getting 10' knockback and hits a solid object, it should take some damage. That way there is at least a way for Air to deal some damage. It was the only one without any kind of attack power. It won't be a great attack power, but for something like a Stirge Airblast makes a ton of sense. Its tiny and going to blasted against a wall. IMO outside of a flame wave, that sounds like the best way to kill a stirge and now the rules reflect that.

Loving these playtests, making small but substantial improvements.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, honestly I wish I'd thought of it earlier, haha.

EDIT: I know I'm blowing through power here, but it seems appropriate, especially since I don't feel like waiting for another round for a leg up from Kurok just to save a power point.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-23 at 10:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I don't need to roll for perception, does Sarren still have an action left to tie off/throw down that rope?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Unoftunately no. He only had 2 Actions left after killing the Stirge. 1 Action to Move with Windwalk and 1 Action to Climb the last bit.

If you want the rope it'll have to be the next round. He'll have to drop his bow and spend all three actions dealing with the rope, getting it out, moving and tieing it off etc.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ahhh, thats where my count was wrong. Ok, I'll just have Kurok wait for her to tie something off then. I'll have her go straight to her next turn, then have him start to climb right after.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-09-24 at 01:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok, so current status is: Kurok knows the hallway is trapped, but doesn't know how to avoid it?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Correct, Kurok knows that the hallway is an arrowed death trap, he sees the bolt holes and knows what they mean. He probably even knows that the trap can likely fire multiple times, but probably only a limited amount for each section. But he doesn't know how to bypass it safely, ie detect which floor tiles are trapped without setting them off.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does he have an idea how heavy something would have to be to set them off?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

No, Kurok wouldn't be sure how they are even set off. Now, he might assume it's pressure plates but he wouldn't have any details. Had he been an expert in trapwork, he could have spotted how to avoid them.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Any questions about what is next? Kurok needs to finish climbing the rope with the DC10 checks. So two successes or one major success.

Then you have the hallway to tackle to finish off Wave 1, then the real fun can begin.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you still interested in playing?

If not, may I ask for your feedback on the system and the reason you do not wish to continue?

If so, are there any questions you have for things I need to explain?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for the gap! Had a crazy week I didn't anticipate. I'll post again today.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome, you can post by turn until you're past the trap and can end wave one. Then probably die horribly to Wave 2, haha