The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Necromancy in Descent into Avernus

My DM is looking into playing Descent into Avernus, I have really been wanting to try a necromancer for a while now. But i don't really want to be in big city like baldurs gate a massive amount after i hit the level that i can raise dead.

I realize that it has literally just been released but i was hoping somebody could shed some light on necromancy (specifically the raise dead kind) within "Descent". Around how long do you stay in Baldur's Gate for in terms of level?
    It would also be super helpful if someone could clarify how much humanoids there is to even raise from the dead in Avernus, cause im just thinking it's probably only devils and stuff.

Thanks for any input!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Necromancy in Descent into Avernus

I think you're in hell by 5th level or just a bit after.

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfFighterGuy

As someone who has the book, I can confirm that being in Hell by 5th level is the intended progression.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

5th level yes
    but 7th level is really when your let out to go explore it. The quest and exploring spans from 7-13
    Last edited by lianightdemon; 2019-09-19 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfFighterGuy

Regarding the abundance of corpses, it kinda depends on your DM. It describes lakes of demon ichor and literal fields of bone, but are these mortal remains? Up to the DM I'd wager. Still, I think it'd be a pretty safe bet. There are several graveyards in the campaign early on that definitely have mortal remains.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

A thing to keep in mind about Necromancy: You're going to be facing a lot of Demons and Devils. Most, if not all, Demons and Devils resist non-magical attacks, and some of the high CR ones are flat out immune. So unless you're able to get enough silver arrows, you're going to find your Undead Army does very little damage.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    A thing to keep in mind about Necromancy: You're going to be facing a lot of Demons and Devils. Most, if not all, Demons and Devils resist non-magical attacks, and some of the high CR ones are flat out immune. So unless you're able to get enough silver arrows, you're going to find your Undead Army does very little damage.
    Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners..."

What's that?

9. - Top - End - #9

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureGnome View Post
    "Unless you get one of those nifty Hellactious Banners..."

What's that?
    Battle standard of infernal power, weapon attacks of all allied creatures within 300ft are magical for the purposes of overcoming damage immunity/resistance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nothing says how fresh the remains need to be... Depending on the type of person the Necromancer is they may decide to lug around certain remains under the vestiges of proper internment at a future date. How many you keep might feel a little meta-gamey, but at the same time carrying your bones with you means you don't need to be robbing graves in the future.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There are a ton of dead humanoids as soon as you get to hell, and you should be able to return to the area if you need to restock (might take some hiking). There are also some scattered along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.