New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default How to insert unicode

Hi folks,

This may be a simple question but answers I've found online don't seem to work. How can I insert unicode characters into a text field? I'm using windows 10 (and chrome, though I don't think that matters).

I know I can find the character and copy/paste it, but that's kind of annoying and I'd rather be able to use a key stroke. I've seen guides saying:
    <hold down the alt key>
    +
    <unicode characters>
    <release alt key>

Doing that causes me to activate shortcuts on the browser or the text editor I'm using when it picks up alt+<whatever character>

Help?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How to insert unicode

You need to use the number pad on the right side of your keyboard. It does not work with the number keys above the letters.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-09-19 at 04:17 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #3

Alternately, with Windows 10 you can pull up the "Emoji Keyboard" by holding down the Windows key and hitting .

This will bring up a pop-up window where you can select from various Emoji, but if you click the Ω symbol in that pop-up you can also browse symbols of various kinds such as letters with diacritical marks and math notation. Since work bought me a tiny laptop with no numpad, I've been using that a lot lately since it's faster than copying and pasting and keeps your recently used ones for easy clicking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Alternately, with Windows 10 you can pull up the "Emoji Keyboard" by holding down the Windows key and hitting .

This will bring up a pop-up window where you can select from various Emoji, but if you click the Ω symbol in that pop-up you can also browse symbols of various kinds such as letters with diacritical marks and math notation. Since work bought me a tiny laptop with no numpad, I've been using that a lot lately since it's faster than copying and pasting and keeps your recently used ones for easy clicking.
    That's a nice find! I had no idea about that one, forget the emojis, the symbol tab looks really useful (OK I know the numberpad codes for half of the ones not on the keyboard anyway, but it is still really useful to know about).

Thank-you lots.

5. - Top - End - #5

Ooooh, very helpful. Thanks!

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

6. - Top - End - #6

An alternative that I use is WinCompose. That lets you type sequences like [Compose Key] [c] [,] to get "ç", or [Compose Key] [=] [/] to get "≠". Most sequences are obvious, and easier to remember than alt codes, plus you can add custom sequences. The default for the compose key is right alt, but you can configure that.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-09-20 at 05:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The one on my computer doesn't have the Omega panel? It pops up with emojis, but I don't see how to get real letter symbols with it.

EDIT: The online examples that I've seen don't have it, either.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-09-20 at 09:04 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    The one on my computer doesn't have the Omega panel? It pops up with emojis, but I don't see how to get real letter symbols with it.

EDIT: The online examples that I've seen don't have it, either.
    I suspect it was added in v1903 of Windows 10. My home computer has that and also has the omega symbol, but my work computer is still on v1803 and doesn't have it.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

ಠ_ಠ, interesting. Łãťïņ & Ğʀεἓκ derived letters, but no Hebrew, Devanagari, Katakana, or Linear B. Not that I actually use those latter character sets.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    That's a nice find! I had no idea about that one, forget the emojis, the symbol tab looks really useful (OK I know the numberpad codes for half of the ones not on the keyboard anyway, but it is still really useful to know about).

Thank-you lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Ooooh, very helpful. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    ಠ_ಠ, interesting. Łãťïņ & Ğʀεἓκ derived letters, but no Hebrew, Devanagari, Katakana, or Linear B. Not that I actually use those latter character sets.
    I mostly use the math-related symbols, and it's really nice to be able to quickly grab ², ∠, or ÷ when I'm leaving students comments on their work. (My students mostly turn in their work as Google Docs, and the comments in Google Docs don't include any kind of fancy equation tools or text formatting.)

If I need something not included in the emoji keyboard, I'll either search for it in the Google Docs insert symbol menu (which lets you draw what you're looking for or search by keyword) or use UniView if I want to browse.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

There is another way to do it which I don't think has been mentioned, and which works on any version of Windows (even back as far as 95, I think)--just do Start->Run (or press Windows key + R, which does the same thing) and type "charmap" without the quotes. This brings up Character Map, which shows you all the characters available in any font you have installed on the system--you can just select a bunch of characters from that, hit Copy, and then paste it into your document.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-09-22 at 02:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Use windows charmap, then copy & Paste