The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Ansalonian Adventures OOC III

Currently discussing Downtime activities in Haligth.

Sorawyl Kassanor

Erendriel Half-Elven

Achuak

Morhar

Spoiler: Jason "The Sheet-free" Barker
    Show
    Jason Barker (Played by JadedDM)
    Male Human [Soldier] Fighter [Champion] 4 (CG)
    STR 16 (+3), DEX 10 (+0), CON 16 (+3), INT 13 (+1), WIS 11 (+0), CHA 14 (+2), Age 26, HT 5'9", WT 162 lbs
    HP: 40/48 (-8 radiant)
    Hit Die: 4/4
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    AC: 18 = 10 + 6 [starmetal chain mail] + 2 [steel shield]
    Dmg: Unarmed Strike [+3 to hit; 1 bludgeoning]; Magic Long Sword [+6 to hit; 1d8+4 slashing, versatile (1d10+4 slashing); Pike [+5 to hit; 1d10+3 piercing (range 10)]; Javelin [+5 to hit, 1d6+3 piercing (range 30/120)]
    XP: 3,530/6,500
    Saves: STR +5, DEX -1, CON +4, INT +1, WIS +0, CHA +2
    Feats: None
    Skills: Acrobatics (0), Animal Handling (0), Arcana (+1), Athletics (+5), Deception (+2), History (+3), Insight (0), Intimidation (+4), Investigation (+1), Medicine (0), Nature (+1), Perception (+2), Performance (+2), Persuasion (+2), Religion (+1), Sleight of Hand (0), Stealth (0), Survival (0)
    Racial Abilities: None
    Class Abilities: Protection Style Fighting (imposes disadvantage on an enemy attacking an ally within five feet, if he is using a shield), Second Wind (as a bonus action, regain hit points equal to 1d10 + fighter level. Once per period between short rests), Action Surge (take a second action; once per period between short rests)
    Archetype Abilities: Improved Critical (19 or 20)
    Background Abilities: Military Rank (other military folks will defer to his rank), Horsemanship (he knows how to ride a horse), Soldier Proficiency (Proficient with at least one kind of gaming set, mounts and land vehicles)
    Special Abilities: While wearing his starmetal chain mail, any critical hit against him becomes a normal one. When wielding the Beacon Mace, he can use a bonus action to cause it to shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, or to extinguish the light.
    Languages: Common, Solamnic
    Gear:
    Head - Starmetal coif
    Neck - None
    Torso - Tunic, pike [18 lbs], backpack [5 lbs], starmetal chain mail [55 lbs], steel shield [6 lbs]
    Hands - Gauntlets
    Waist - Trousers, sheathed Long Sword +1 [3 lbs], Beacon Mace
    Feet - Boots
    Backpack - Javelins (x4) [2 lbs each], gaming dice, crowbar [5 lbs], hammer [3 lbs], pitons (x9) [3 lbs], torches (x9) [9 lbs], tinderbox [1 lb], rations (x10) [20 lbs], waterskin [5 lbs], hempen rope (50') [10 lbs], a multi-colored stone disk, coins (770 STP, 5 SP), Potion of Hill Giant Strength [0.5 lbs], nice outfit, formal outfit, Potions of Healing (x6) [3 lbs]
    Total Weight: 156 lbs
    Speed: 30 (-10 encumbrance)
    Encumbrance: 0-80 lbs is no encumbrance, 81-160 lbs is encumbrance (-10 speed), 161-240 lbs is heavy encumbrance (-20 on speed, disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saves involving strength, constitution, and/or dexterity)
    Stowed Gear: None
    Inspiration: No
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2019-10-09 at 03:07 PM.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

Spoiler: Art
    Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

Lady Oren, Templar of the Silver Flame

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Ansalonian Adventures OOC III

Hmm, research is a bit too expensive right now, so Eren will spent week with the common folk too. I think he might want to try to maybe check if any of the street kids would be interested in receiving some education. The language barrier might be difficult, but the alphabet is the same, I guess? Also he could just tell some historical tales, if he gets an audience.

Suppose that'd be carousing too, so Persuasion check: (d20+5)[7]
    Complication chance (triggers at 1 I guess?): (d10)[4]
    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show

Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So then, I'll put this here for now since it doesn't quite fit into the flow of the IC right now:

Spoiler: Sora's Apology
    Show
    I'll wear the red silk dress for this. It's eye catching, and the whole point of the public apology is that I'm the centre of attention. Before the apology, I'll spend a good half-hour meditating, to clear my head and brace myself for the intense pressure to come. After that, I will need to practice the pronunciation of the Estwilde phrase for "I'm sorry", which I have looked up specifically for this.

During the apology, I shall try to keep my expression neutral and serious - I realise that my mental state right now is turbulent and there's a risk I might get angry and snap at them when I'm supposed to be apologising if I don't make an effort to stay calm.

"Esteemed guild members, secretary Vletlic, I trust you are all keeping well." I curtsy. "Regarding the recent debacle at The Dravic Inn, please accept my most humble and sincere apologies. We did not intend to cause such a commotion, but our conduct fell short of the required standard and for that I take full responsibility. I deeply regret the loss of this man his strongbox - it was a mistake on my part not to set someone to watch over it while the rest of us investigated the suspect. For this error, we beg your forgiveness, and bid you accept this replacement to compensate your loss." I pause to allow the new strongbox to be presented.

"Furthermore, I offer an additional apology for my earlier arrogance. You had warned us that these thieves were extremely cunning, but I had believed we could catch them regardless. In this, you were right, and I was wrong. Clearly we still have much to learn. At least it seems that the robberies have been halted for now - perhaps we came close enough to flushing out the culprits that they have taken fright? A small consolation, I know, and it saddens me as much as anyone that we could not bring them to justice, but surely this result is better than nothing."

I curtsy again. "So then, thank you for listening. Žao mi je."

And then she'll spend her week doing 'honest work'. By which I mean, busking for coppers. Just about the only work Sora is qualified to do is entertainment, using illusion magic and a bit of music. She hates that it has come to this, but clearly this whole journey is some kind of divine lesson about swallowing one's pride...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Charisma (Persuasion) to overcome the cultural barrier: (1d20+6)[20]
    Charisma (Performance) to earn a living: (1d20+6)[15]
    Chance of complications (on a 1): (1d10)[7]
    Complication: (1d6)[1]

"The Great and Powerful" Sorawyl...
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Is 'carousing' from a different book? I can't find it in the PHB.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. That book has a much more expansive treatment of downtime than the PHB.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    So then, I'll put this here for now since it doesn't quite fit into the flow of the IC right now:

Spoiler: Sora's Apology
    Show
    I'll wear the red silk dress for this. It's eye catching, and the whole point of the public apology is that I'm the centre of attention. Before the apology, I'll spend a good half-hour meditating, to clear my head and brace myself for the intense pressure to come. After that, I will need to practice the pronunciation of the Estwilde phrase for "I'm sorry", which I have looked up specifically for this.

During the apology, I shall try to keep my expression neutral and serious - I realise that my mental state right now is turbulent and there's a risk I might get angry and snap at them when I'm supposed to be apologising if I don't make an effort to stay calm.

"Esteemed guild members, secretary Vletlic, I trust you are all keeping well." I curtsy. "Regarding the recent debacle at The Dravic Inn, please accept my most humble and sincere apologies. We did not intend to cause such a commotion, but our conduct fell short of the required standard and for that I take full responsibility. I deeply regret the loss of this man his strongbox - it was a mistake on my part not to set someone to watch over it while the rest of us investigated the suspect. For this error, we beg your forgiveness, and bid you accept this replacement to compensate your loss." I pause to allow the new strongbox to be presented.

"Furthermore, I offer an additional apology for my earlier arrogance. You had warned us that these thieves were extremely cunning, but I had believed we could catch them regardless. In this, you were right, and I was wrong. Clearly we still have much to learn. At least it seems that the robberies have been halted for now - perhaps we came close enough to flushing out the culprits that they have taken fright? A small consolation, I know, and it saddens me as much as anyone that we could not bring them to justice, but surely this result is better than nothing."

I curtsy again. "So then, thank you for listening. Žao mi je."

And then she'll spend her week doing 'honest work'. By which I mean, busking for coppers. Just about the only work Sora is qualified to do is entertainment, using illusion magic and a bit of music. She hates that it has come to this, but clearly this whole journey is some kind of divine lesson about swallowing one's pride...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Charisma (Persuasion) to overcome the cultural barrier: [roll0]
    Charisma (Performance) to earn a living: [roll1]
    Chance of complications (on a 1): [roll2]
    Complication: [roll3]

"The Great and Powerful" Sorawyl...

Okay, first, in comparing a sort of aloof arrogance, I am never going to unsee Sora as Trixie. So thank you for that.

Second - It seems like I have to remind y'all this, but you have two allies in the city whom you seem intent on ignoring. Francesca and Aimee invited you to Haligoth, so it's not like they don't expect you to come looking for them. The former is a knight whom you must assume knows people, and the latter is a wizard who already told you she is hard at work on magic/research projects.

Also, Sora just ate a whole lot of crow there and these folks are going to hold it over her for a long time, so Ninja go ahead and take another 50xp.

Lastly, and I bring this up because Sora's speech made me think of something I hadn't before, if y'all want to have an AAR regarding what went wrong, I feel okay about sharing now since the threat is over and the PCs need to learn from their mistakes. That's pretty hard to do in this medium because we can't just talk things over and bounce ideas off each other in realtime. So if you want to know, maybe take a vote or discuss, I'll share.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2019-09-22 at 09:38 PM.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    It's from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. That book has a much more expansive treatment of downtime than the PHB.
    Ah, okay. I don't have that one yet.

As for Francesca and Aimee, well, the latter seemed so busy and I wasn't sure if we could even get an audience with the former.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am interested in what we could have done better.

I already did my first round of rolls. I’ll have to look back through XFtE for other downtime options. But we only have a week, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by q785921 View Post
    I am interested in what we could have done better.

I already did my first round of rolls. I’ll have to look back through XFtE for other downtime options. But we only have a week, right?

You have as much time as you like. I only suggested a week as that's what Downtime activities are broken into.

Jaded, sorry, I wasn't aware you didn't have that book (you may have mentioned it, but it's been a while). I'm sure you can find all that online. The Downtime Activities options are bloody wonderful and I love them. A great game asset.

"If there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate. Oh, and let me know where you're staying so I can invite you to a proper dinner."
    - Aimee.

Aimee having already shared with Valorean, Attebrooke is a bit taken aback when she realizes you would want to see her personally and not just come to Qwermish for the opportunities. Aimee nudges her and she smiles. "I'm billeted at the castle. You can't really miss it. But my duties to the king often take me on the road. Or ship, in this case. If you leave word once you're settled I can find you. If you'd like."

Maybe it's just because PbP is too damned slow. Easy to lose track of a conversation that happened so long ago OOC.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Let's see what we get then:

(1d100+4)[6]

Well, that's not good.
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-09-25 at 06:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Shall we start with the AAR then?

I think the main learning points are:
    • IC, our PCs needed to take more time to learn the local culture and build up trust and connections among the populace before taking on a mission with such a big social angle. It might have been wiser to choose a simpler quest that could have been solved with violence alone.
    • And, of course, we didn't make any use of Aimee. Though I'm not sure at this point what we would have asked of her...
    • Halogoth is clearly a very corrupt place. I think we need to accept that we won't get anywhere without paying bribes - after all, our rolls weren't that bad. For the record, Sora would have been doing that already, if she'd had any cash to do it with.
    • OOC, I feel like we could spend more time discussing our plans, and be clearer about them. For example, when we laid a trap by spreading a rumour that there were valuables at the Dravic Inn, I imagined that we would then hide by the strongbox and then ambush whoever came to rob it. None of us actually specified that though, and Gorgon can't read our minds.

Anyone have anything to add?
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder, though, should we be trying to fight the corruption inherent in the system, instead of working with it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Fighting the corruption does seem like a long-term goal. Maybe if we succeed in some more missions, we can get more locals to trust us. Also would be nice to have some more money in our pockets.

I agree with Ninja's points. Next time we have a plan, probably good idea to break it down in ooc thread.

So it's the monastery thing the next job? Is it still available?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Good points, though I wouldn't give them the same weight.

About the corruption- PCs who are more well-traveled will likely see that Haligoth is simply as corrupt as other major cities that aren't in the bright and shining examples in Solamnia. Thus far you've seen the guard seems to be on the take from guilds, but you haven't gotten a bead on the actual efficacy of this operation. Does this make the guard completely ineffective? Does it actually participate in crimes? And are other institutions as corrupt as this? You don't know.

Side note - Great and glorious Solamnia just went through a civil war to root out all its corruption, which was entirely hidden, rather than in fairly plain sight.

Local knowledge would have helped you with this last assignment, but the real problem was sloppiness. This was effectively a zero-combat encounter, so I had to make it challenging somehow.

You used truth magic against a career criminal who only had to tell some truth to pass. I truly thought you were going to get him on the first question - had you asked about "thefts" or "crimes." Instead you said "robberies" - which they technically weren't. They were burglaries. So he did tell you the truth. And he was there having a beer, it's just not all he was doing. And he wasn't the actual thief, he was the scout, so he never participated in the break-ins.

His fear was real. Five armed people rounded him up, so yeah, he thought you were going to kill him or catch him in the act, so he absolutely wanted to get away from you. The problem with detect thoughts is you have to use it to completion. To get anything beyond surface thoughts, you have to use an action that allows the target to save. I gave Ninja/Sora the chance to read deeper and she didn't take it.

Keeping eyes on the strongbox all night would have totally worked. I hadn't even thought of that.

In the end, while it may read a little semanticy, you had three chances to bust the capers that night. Or really four, if somebody had followed him hightailing it out of there to his partner.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, I should probably apologise too. I've been having some personal issues so I haven't been as engaged as I should have been - and right when we needed Sora's skill set the most, too. Like, I was concerned when Jason said "robberies" instead of "burglaries", but I couldn't muster the energy to say anything before the conversation moved on. So I'm sorry about that. In future, you all might need to yell at me OOC if my input is lacking...
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ah, didn't even stop to think about the distinction, just thought we'd misinterpreted something and snagged the wrong guy.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. You did good work. Got him into interrogation but then made rookie mistakes. :)

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Update.

I spent the better part of last week in the ER with my son, and the vexatious nature of the American medical industry necessitates still more convoluted and frustrating dealings.

Also, I heard from q and he has politely dropped from the game for personal reasons.

So.

I'm going to ask that y'all discuss what you want to do next and deliver unto mea plan. I will provide some basic info you've managed to dig up despite the language barrier and help you into the next step.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Did we lose Mr. E, as well? Haven't heard from him in a minute.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ah, shame about q.

But about the plan: the monastery gig seems the most straightforward and solvable by combat, if we want to go that route. Maybe just ask who they worship there and what its reputation is, and then travel there?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

That works for me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I was hoping Ninja would add his/her/their thoughts on the matter, but I'm going to wait a few more days anyway. As it looks like I lost two players I opened recruitment for two more. Packing up for a fresh encounter is a good spot to bring in new folks anyway.

I assume that's all right with y'all.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'm happy with the monastery plan, but I feel like there might be a few other bits of intel we should pick up before we go. The lay of the land, info about the locals, some recent history of what's been happening, that sort of thing. I'll have a re-read of what we already know while recruitment is ongoing.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, well, give me (list) the questions you most want answered and I'll answer them to the best of what you've discovered.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

What do we learn about the monastery itself? Who runs it, which deity do they follow, and why would mountain-folk be attacking them?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I will use this post to answer this and the next couple posts, then I will move on.

Jaded - Not much. People aren't talking to you, it's fifty miles away, and this seems the people of this country don't put any stock in the gods. That said, Jason knows perfectly well the dangers of the wild barbarian folks of Estwilde. At least by reputation. Why would they attack? Why wouldn't they? It's in the mountains where they presumably live, so draw your conclusions. You will likely have better luck the closer you get, such as in the village it's near.
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2019-10-05 at 10:05 PM.

Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

G'day, all! I've been chosen to join you in what is sure to be a fantastic game and look forward to our time together!

Morhar, Dwarf Barbarian: ready to play!
    Last edited by MechaKingGhidra; 2019-10-07 at 07:12 PM.

Avatars courtesy of Qwernt (Nagahydra) and jamroar (Ice Devil).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Achuak Litrix - Grave Cleric of Zivilyn.

Hello everyone. Happy to be here and please be kind to this Lizardfolk cleric.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Youtube Account:Here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Welcome to the game! Looking forward to playing with you!

But about the current quest, since it seems like we can't get any info here, perhaps we could just start traveling towards the monastery? If it becomes apparent they really do worship an evil god, we can turn away.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome, new people!

Okay, so we'll set off into the countryside and see if we can get more of a steer from people who haven't heard of us yet...

We don't really know much about the situation at all right now. The biggest question is who the monks are, I guess. Who or what do they worship, what sort of philosophy do they follow, do they have any weird views on things like magic? When was the monastery built - is it newly established or ancient? How long have the attacks been going on? What's the strategic situation at the monastery - are they under siege, are people dying in droves or are the mountain folk just raiding the monastery's land to steal livestock? Does the monastery hold anything of extraordinary value? Are the mountain folk attacking anyone else, or under attack from some third party? What sort of weapons and tactics do they use, how many of them are there, where are their villages/strongholds?

Those are the sorts of questions in my head at the moment.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show