The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Trouble in Subcon (Mario RPG x FATE Accelerated)

Dear Hero,

The Dream Stars have been stolen. This letter has found you because you know the path to one of them.

This passport will allow you into Coral City in Western Subcon. Please find its depths and return the stars to their rightful place before all dreamers lose their way. In return, we will make one of your dreams come true.

I await your arrival.

- L~ d.R~ M~
    Welcome to the Mario universe! We were talking about starting a game like this for a bit, and I've juuust barely figured out how it's going to work. We'll be making up some stuff as we go along. Starting with!

Character Creation

We're using FATE Accelerated, slightly modified to look kind of Paper Mario-ish.

Your character has:

- Aspects!
    - - High Concept (Usually a species-job combination or something along those lines)
    - - Dream (The aspiration that provides your connection to the Dream Stars)
    - - Nightmare (Pretty much anything that would work as a Trouble)
    - - Wildcard (Whatever you'd like! Just remember that I'll have to compel you with it at some point.)
    - 10 Heart Points. These are your stress boxes. You get so many because we are not using consequences in the normal way.
    - 5 Flower Points. These are your Fate Points. You spend them to exploit aspects and gain bonuses as usual.
    - The usual array (+3, +2, +2, +1, +1, +0) to the usual approach set (Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Sneaky, Quick)
    - One Combat-focused Stunt (Usually your favorite attack, but could be a defense or a way to create an advantage)
    - One not-combat-focused Stunt (Perhaps a movement option or a piece of equipment?)
    - You'll be getting more stats, stunts, items and aspects as we go!

I'm sure there are questions, but I should probably just post this and let you ask them rather than take another three hours trying to head them off. Let's see some cool characters!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-09-19 at 06:50 PM.
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty, Erica.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Trouble in Subcon (Mario RPG x FATE Accelerated)

Hm...I am interested in the concept, and I still have that character/backstory I wrote up back when this was being proposed for Mutants and Masterminds. However, I've not played FATE before (though I did take some time to look over the rules). I'm definitely interested in trying if you're willing to put up with a newbie, though. :P

My one big question is: how are stress/consequences going to be handled in this game? I'm not certain how the 10 stress boxes thing works with the core rules, and I don't know what you mean by consequences not being used in the normal way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also still interested from the previous thread (maybe you should let anyone still checking that thread know?)and also a newby to FATE. We'll play on the forums, I presume?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Yes on the forums! It's my preferred modus operandi on the internet.

Also, I would be the ultimate hypocrite if I wouldn't accept a player new to a system that I myself have only tried to play once and that I am now half-replacing with stuff I'm making up on the spot to fit in with the Mario RPG flavor. Welcome to the team!

Here's a brief summary of how FATE works:

Spoiler
    Show
    - Everything that we deem roll-worthy is done with one of the six Approaches, befitting your description of what you're trying to do.
    - You roll 4d3-8 and add your bonus for that approach. Yes, 4d3-8. It's a simulation of the funky +/- dice that the tabletop version uses.
    - I'll try to give you the difficulty of the task ahead of time, so you can edit your post describing what went right or what went wrong.

- The most interesting mechanic is the Aspect. In addition to the ones on your sheet, you'll create or notice aspects of the environment, temporary status effects, NPC moods, et cetera.
    - - When you do something that takes advantage of a relevant aspect, you can spend a Flower point to give yourself +2 on the action.
    - - When I think a relevant aspect would compel you to do something counterproductive and/or hilarious, I can entice you to do the thing by offering some bonus flower points. You can take the points and do the thing, or you can spend a flower point to resist the temptation.
    - Thus, the key to writing a good aspect is to make it both usable and compel-able for maximum fun.

- Both in and out of combat, the Create an Advantage action can be used. This can set up a new aspect or Tattle on an existing one. On a success, you also create a boost, allowing you or an ally to take advantage of that aspect for free with an added bonus depending on how good your roll was.

...and the things I'm changing:

Spoiler
    Show
    - FATE has a Consequences system where one can gain an injurious aspect rather than take stress when something especially stressful happens. We won't be doing that; you just have one pile of Heart Points, and all incoming stress damage goes straight to your HP. When you run out, I'll give you some number of hearts after the encounter - such that you can continue playing - and also give you a special aspect representing how you're no longer in fighting shape. A TPK is mostly a surprise bonus plot hook as far as this game is concerned.

- I'm being really generous with FP while being relatively demanding of Aspects and dividing Stunts into Combat and Non-combat varieties. The idea is to make sheets a bit more rounded and standardized than normal. Hopefully the FP boost will make up for any huge disadvantage I inadvertently thrust upon you in the process.

- I'll be avoiding opposed rolls as much as I can. Why roll eight nonsense dice when four will do? Enemies and NPCs use static or made-up numbers for their approaches, attacks and defenses; players describe your own defensive approach each turn, and I'll roll it on your behalf as needed.

...and some example Stunts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tattle (combat): +2 to Cleverly Create an Advantage by finding or recalling an enemy weakness.
    Zap! (combat): +2 to Flashily Attack with a magical lightning bolt.
    Barge In (noncombat): +2 to Forcefully Overcome a physical obstacle by removing or breaking said obstacle.
    Ninja Stealth! (noncombat): +2 to Sneakily Overcome by sneaking around unnoticed.

I don't think dredging the old thread from page 2 is necessarily a good idea... INKN has been all over my PMs, so I'm pretty sure they've been watching for this thread. Maybe I can PM anyone else who responded as well?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-09-20 at 04:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Alright, that makes sense. Hm...I did find the "taking consequences" part of the combat system pretty interesting, but a more traditional HP system also works. (Well I assume it does. Never played this system before, dunno how this affects it)

Will start putting a character together soon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Do Stunts cost a Flower Power?

Also, I'm tentatively interested. For Mario, I played some of the old NES and SNES games including Mario RPG, but I don't know the more recent games. But I reckon I can think of a character in the vein of this. I admit I'm mainly interested because I've wanted to play a FATE or FAE game for a while. I've been in a couple FAE games that started up, but they never lasted long enough for me to get a good idea of the mechanics.

I'll try to think of a fun character my Monday. I do enjoy watching Mario Maker videos on Youtube, so maybe I'll gain some inspiration.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Stunts are usable for free, but they tend to only apply in specific situations; they're mostly structured as, "+2 to use Approach X for Action Y in Situation Z." You spend FP to use Aspects, but you can get creative with how and when they can apply, and they can stack whereas you can only use one stunt at a time.

A bigger version of the game trades FP for Stunts one-for-one, but has a bigger skill list which makes the stunts more narrow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

The idea of a renegade Angry Sun that wants to be good and make friends... he's just never been as annoyed by things as his brethren.

If there's not already any set canon, I might make up some lore regarding the Angry Suns. Perhaps they tend to believe they should be the Sun, sorta like the inherited egotism of beholders. Their outrage at not being the center of the universe makes them angry and lash out at most of creation, when they deign to lower themselves to the ground realms. But this guy just never found things so bad, and he's always enjoyed the differences and beauty of the ground realms. Feeling confusion and pity for his brethren, he eventually fled to try to better understand the lands he loves and to find some way to help his people understand it's all okay.

His dream is to have his family find peace with him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

An Uncommonly Chill Sun, you say? Sounds fun to me! As you might have noticed, I'm going to be pulling ideas based on your characters' hopes and dreams, so anything you make up makes my life easier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    An Uncommonly Chill Sun, you say? Sounds fun to me! As you might have noticed, I'm going to be pulling ideas based on your characters' hopes and dreams, so anything you make up makes my life easier.
    Assuming I use the same idea from the other thread, I'd be creating a Koopa born for the stage. Thespian, operatic tenor, magician, basically any form of entertainment that might put him center stage. He definitely desires the spotlight, but perhaps more so desires acceptance.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Entertainer sounds great!

In the interest of giving everyone more to work with for character creation, here is an example sheet based on INKN's character from last time.

Spoiler: Kuroshi the Yoshi
    Show
    Basic Concept: Excitable Punk Yoshi
    Kuroshi is a black yoshi with a cracked shell and a brown mohawk.

Dream: The Future Glitz King
    Kuroshi kind of inspired this game's format, and this is why! He wants to make it in the ring alongside the Great Gonzales and Rawk Hawk...

Nightmare: Scrambled Scrounger
    ...but he keeps getting kicked out. He lives in a back alley, eating out of the trash and gradually saving money for his sick mom.

Wildcard: Sunny-side Up, but Ready to Crack!
    Kuroshi is bubbly and energetic, which obscures his deep-seated insecurities.

Approaches
    Careful: +1
    Clever: +1
    Flashy: +3
    Forceful: +2
    Quick: +2
    Sneaky: +0

Stunts
    Non-combat:
    Cat Canít Catch This Tongue Tongue-Tied!: Years spent using his tongue as his best tool and greatest weapon allows Kuroshi a +2 to Flashily Create an Advantage with it.
    Combat:
    Egging Us On: Kuroshiís vast experience taking hard hits grants him a +2 to Forcefully Defend against a danger when he can use his shell or egg.

❤ HP: 10/10
    🌻 FP: 5/5
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-09-22 at 01:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

This is a sample charsheet. Not final, but to see if I'm getting the idea right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basic Concept: Unusually Chill Sun
    Sonny is an Angry Sun who is happy and enjoys the ground-world.

Dream: A Happy Family
    His dream is for his family to have peace with the world, ideally with him in the ground-world

Nightmare: Isolation Anger
    ...but his fear that he'll never be on good terms with them again makes him angry and depressed.

Wildcard: Finding the Beauty
    Sonny finds the beauty and joy in almost anything, which helps him motivate himself and others, but sometimes makes him distracted or not notice threats.

Approaches
    Careful: +1
    Clever: +1
    Flashy: +3
    Forceful: +2
    Quick: +2
    Sneaky: +0
    As a flying Sun, he is fairly fast and good at bashing into things, but he mostly does Forceful burning attacks or Flashy speeches on the beauty of things. Being a Sun, he's not very sneaky

Stunts
    Non-combat:
    Calming Speech: His rhetoric about the glory and beauty of things gives him a +2 to Flashily Create an Advantage by persuading/distracting someone listening to him orate
    Combat:
    It Burns!: As a Sun, Sonny is burning hot to anything he touches, giving him a +2 to Forcefully Attack by smashing into something

❤ HP: 10/10
    🌻 FP: 5/5

Question: I can see an aspect that can be pro or con simply his being a Sun. He can fly, which is helpful, but he also can't really manipulate objects. Even if we rule that he can hold and manipulate things with his 'sunbeams' around his body, he's burning hot and would damage them. Would his Basic Concept aspect incorporate invocations like that?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Assuming I use the same idea from the other thread, I'd be creating a Koopa born for the stage. Thespian, operatic tenor, magician, basically any form of entertainment that might put him center stage. He definitely desires the spotlight, but perhaps more so desires acceptance.
    Sounds...a little similar to the character I was hoping to convert actually, lol. Spiny blue paratroopa, more on the adrenaline junkie/athlete side but also very much pursuing fame, praise, accolades, acceptance, etc. by every means possible.

Hm. I may end up just going with a different character concept, then, just so we can avoid stepping on each others' toes. Unless you had a different idea or don't think it'll be a problem?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Question: I can see an aspect that can be pro or con simply his being a Sun. He can fly, which is helpful, but he also can't really manipulate objects. Even if we rule that he can hold and manipulate things with his 'sunbeams' around his body, he's burning hot and would damage them. Would his Basic Concept aspect incorporate invocations like that?
    Yep! Things like being hot and having no arms you'll be dealing with all the time; you only spend the FP on an invocation when you want that +2 bonus. I can imagine him doing the thing where an item he's carrying just kind of hovers next to him and we all just accept it as part of the art style, until I decide to give you a compel and he melts it accidentally.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-09-24 at 12:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz414 View Post
    Sounds...a little similar to the character I was hoping to convert actually, lol. Spiny blue paratroopa, more on the adrenaline junkie/athlete side but also very much pursuing fame, praise, accolades, acceptance, etc. by every means possible.

Hm. I may end up just going with a different character concept, then, just so we can avoid stepping on each others' toes. Unless you had a different idea or don't think it'll be a problem?
    The toe-stepping could actually be a fun dynamic, with them trying to one up each other (even though their skill sets probably don't overlap). I don't have a problem with it.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Well, for what it's worth, JeenLeen's sheet looks good. It looks like interest dropped off after all, though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Gimme a bit, and we'll see about rekindling the interest that had initially been gathered.

For what it's worth, I'm never going to stop being interested in this sort of adventure. And with me not working for the next 2 weeks (still on workmans comp), I'm certainly not disappearing anywhere! I just hadn't spied the thread quite yet. ^_^;

That said, if need be, a party of 4 seems like it could be fine. o.o
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2019-09-29 at 04:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm still interested. But, yeah, would want at least 3 or 4 players. Ideally 4-6 as some folk will probably stop, with how PbP tends to go.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies, had a move and had to get settled in. I'll take a look at how to make a FATE character and hopefully have something by the end of the weekend.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Okay I got an idea for this:

A female pianta. who is like, the greatest Chuckster alive. just optimized for being chuckster and solving everything by chucking something at it. who learned at the feet of an old chuckster master.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Am still interested, and have a character sheet in fact! (Ended up going with a different concept, so took some time going back and forth on story/personality stuff and got sidetracked for a bit).

Initial sheet is ready. Still working out how to write good Aspects/Stunts, so just say if anything needs changing. (Also, just to clarify: are the Aspects listed in the first post just the bare minimum that you need (and we can include a fifth if we want)? Or does it need to be exactly those four and no more?)

For visual reference, she's one of these fellas from the Paper Mario games (and a few others, apparently).

Spoiler: Backstory/Description
    Show
    Backstory - Moustilda is a young Squeek born and raised in the city of Rogueport, a semi-practiced thief (from a long and successful line of them, as her father is fond of saying), and official apprentice to the great wizard Merlon.

Well, mostly official. Sort of. She may have been rejected the first time. And the second. And all the subsequent times. And then gotten kicked out several times after that for sneaking into his house to read his books and experiment with his scrolls and other mysterious wizard things, while being told "You are not my apprentice, get out of here you filthy thief!"

To be fair, though she'd take offense to the "filthy" part, Moustilda was a thief; the middle child in a family of seven of them, who'd spent her childhood learning to lie and pickpocket and scurry unnoticed across the city's rooftops. And stealing a rare and powerful magical tome from someone wasn't exactly the best way to start off an apprenticeship. It had been a grab of opportunity; he was walking down an alley with it, she happened to be right there, and she was both just smart enough to know that a wizard's stuff was really valuable, and just dumb enough to not realize that there was a very good reason for that. But before the old wizard had time to turn her to ash (or even realize what was happening), she was gone, vanished into the maze of alleyways and passages twisting through the heart of the city.

Her plan was, at first, to just get away, hide out for a bit, and then start looking for someone in the city's black markets to sell it to. But out of curiosity, she decided to crack it open; and was almost immediately enraptured. Incredible spells, strange runes, and powerful rituals, sure, but even more than that, stories of ancient mages and wise sorcerers, of mythical figures wielding magic to do big, important stuff and become big, important heroes. She devoured the whole thing (well, what she could understand of it), and at the end of it she knew exactly what she was going to do. She was going to become a wizard.

Moustilda's initial plan to return the book, apologize, and be gratefully accepted as Merlon's new student of magic ended with a snatched tome, some very unkind words, and a door slammed in her face. But she was persistent. She asked again, and again, and again, and started to sneak in to pick up what magic she could from browsing Merlon's collection. She picked up scraps of magic knowledge here and there, hungrily chasing after whatever old books and scrolls she could track down. She started practicing; first simple spells, then bigger ones. Merlon had at first thought that teaching such a reckless and impetuous teenager the hidden secrets of magic would be a grave danger to herself and everyone around her. After finding her in the middle of a ritual that she thought would summon a bunny rabbit but would actually summon an ancient kingdom-shattering terror demon from the depths of the Underwhere, he quickly concluded that NOT teaching such a reckless and impetuous teenager at least some of the hidden secrets of magic would in fact be a grave danger to herself and, possibly, the entire world. Merlon began (very, very begrudgingly) imparting some of his magic knowledge upon her; mostly the parts involving how to not blow herself or others up, or accidentally call forth unspeakable evils. They developed something of a relationship; granted, a relationship mostly built on admonishments of "Don't do that" and "Don't touch that" and "What are you even doing in here it is three in the morning", but a relationship nonetheless. Moustilda was a quick, clever and attentive student, and, despite Merlon's repeated insistence that she was not his apprentice, she began to grow on him.

And then came the letter, left in its sparkling envelope at the foot of her shared bed. A heroic journey! A quest! A chance to fulfill her wish of becoming an actual wizard! Wow! Merlon was skeptical, but, after much pleading, sent Moustilda on her way with a bag of old junk eclectic magical artifacts, most of which she only barely knew how to use. But she was going to do it. She had a goal in her sights; and once she knew what she wanted, she was very, very persistent.

Description: Moustilda is a slightly-smaller-than average Squeek, with brown fur, purple shoes, and a typical black bandana. On her back, she carries a massive dark-blue bag lent to her from Merlon, stuffed with various wands, scepters, scrolls, charms, amulets, and musty tomes.

Personality-wise, she's excitable, chatty, and quick witted. She basically never runs out of questions, and will go after and investigate whatever in her immediate vicinity looks interesting, with very little regard for petty stuff like "manners" or "laws". Once she has a goal she really wants in mind, though, she will pursue it with single-minded intensity, pulling out every crafty trick she knows to do it.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Name: Moustilda

Aspects:

Young Squeek Thief and Novice Mage (Basic Concept)

Moustilda is a Squeek, one of a race of small, nimble mouselike creatures found all throughout the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond, known for their keen sense of smell. Additionally, she is a thief, well practiced in the arts of burglary, sneaking, and going unnoticed, as well as a mostly self-taught wizard (though she's still not terribly good at that).

Ooh What's That? (Nightmare)

Moustilda is relentlessly curious, feeling compelled to investigate and mess with anything interesting that catches her eye (especially if it's magical) and scrounge for knowledge wherever she can from whoever can give it.

The Great and Powerful (Dream)

Moustilda's wish is to become a great wizard; one of those important and legendary and wise and powerful figures that does amazing and mysterious things. Instead of, you know, just another dirty thief from a family of dirty thieves in a city of dirty thieves.

Irritatingly Stubborn (Wildcard)

Moustilda is relentlessly persistent once she has a specific goal or objective she really, really wants in mind, sometimes well past the point of reason. If anything the more reasonable people tell her it's time to stop or give up, the more she wants to do it.

Approaches: Careful +1, Clever +2, Flashy +1, Forceful +0, Sneaky +3, Quick +2

Stunts:

AbracaPOOF! - One of Moustilda's favorite spells is one that allows her to become temporarily invisible, giving her a +2 to Sneakily Overcome in situations where invisibility would be helpful to her current objective.

AlakaSNEAKATTACK! - Moustilda is a thief, highly skilled in hiding and catching enemies unaware, giving her a +2 to Sneakily Attack enemies that are unaware of her presence or current location.

HP: 10/10
    FP: 5
    Refresh: 5

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully my delay didn't damage this game getting off the ground, but here's the sheet for Keankoop, the Koopa Performer. Let me know if it's acceptable.

Spoiler: Background and Description
    Show

Background: Keankoop was raised by his parents among a group of travelling performers, known as Boonum and Dayzee's Finest Showmen, who went across the kingdoms and lands staging plays, musicals, magic shows, and daring stunts. From a young age, Keankoop found the spotlight and loved it, leading to him developing something of a haughty attitude. At the same time, he was devoted to his stage family and as they rose in prominence he grew excited to see the Boonum and Dayzee name take on a world stage. However, he wasn't the only one who favored the focus of the crowds and fighting over stage-time saw the performance company break up. Keankoop's parents had saved enough to retire to a small town, but he was still eager to perform. For years, he's been solo, taking temporary jobs with other companies but never fully joining in. In truth, Boonum and Dayzee's split left him heartbroken and lonely. Though he hasn't spoken to much of the troupe in years, he hopes that they'll be proud of him when they see his success. And he hopes maybe he'll find himself in the approval of an adoring audience.

Description: Keankoop has a yellow shell (he insists it's gold) and black shoes. He also wears round sunglasses most of the time (his eyes are actually smaller than average, but the sunglasses obscure this). He carries a simple satchel (I don't know if we have any equipment not mentioned as a Stunt, so I won't worry about what's in it until I find out)

Personality: Keankoop is brash, arrogant, and self-centered. He expects some preening from others about his incredible talents. However, he's not an airhead. When not concerned with his ego, he's cunning and insightful, if still over-confident and forward. When he becomes close to someone, however, he's absolutely loyal and is happy to share his spotlight when convenient. They'll also likely notice he's quite insecure and secretly doubtful of himself. He isn't entirely without soft spots and doesn't try to be cruel, but as he would put it "It's hard to notice little things when the limelight is in your eyes".
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry if my delay in posting helped kill this game, I know several people were looking forward to it.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

To confirm, I'm still interested and I'll consider my char-sheet as already submitted my final submission (unless anyone finds a glaring issue with it).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    To confirm, I'm still interested and I'll consider my char-sheet as already submitted my final submission (unless anyone finds a glaring issue with it).
    I'm still interested too
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Le gasp! People came back while I wasn't looking! I guess that means we can play after all?

I'll get the opening sequences written up and link you all to the game threads in a few days.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Ready to go!

Please post your character sheets in the OOC thread and respond to the prompt in the IC thread.