The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Death & Taxes: High magic, low oversight & a suspicious amount of undead [5e]

Hi, I'm looking for 2-3 players to join an ongoing game here on the forums. The game is set in a prosperous city who's voracious magical industry is stirring up forces better left unstirred.

As players, you would take the role of government agents hired to investigate and deal with these outbreaks of unearthly chaos.

Since we already have some active players, I'd want to discourage applicants from taking any of the same classes as the current players (warlock, wizard, and paladin).

I've copied the original pitch below:

Campaign: Death and Taxes

The city-state of Meridian is a sprawling, thriving, bustling (and in places, crumbling) metropolis of over fifty thousand souls - not all of them living. Between the gray water of the Elfbeck and the anarchic architecture of the Artifice District, people of every (PHB only) race labor for the common good in service to a thriving magical goods and services industry.

Trade is flourishing under the light touch of the city's Witengamot - the elected citizens council - but success has come at a cost. The city's enlightened wizards and tinkerers have discovered that a given location can see only so much magical toil before planar boundaries start to fray. There is mounting public pressure to address what in academic circles is known as "the boundary issue", and what the citizenry call "the damned ghosts!".

After one such protest was violently disrupted by the phantom of an old-order city watchmember appearing in its midst, the Witengamot has finally decided to allocate some resources and do something about the frequent appearances of the undead. You are that something.

Following a somewhat desperately worded "Help Wanted" sign, you have been contracted into the service of the newly established Department for Spiritual Sanitation, and find yourself reporting to a tired cleric operating a desk of faintly glowing tuning forks.

System: D&D 5e
    Player Count: 3-5
    Style of Play: Hack & slash / story driven
    Posting Rate: 1 per day (with some flexibility)
    Allowed Content:
    • Player's Handbook
    • Dungeon Master's Guide

Character Creation:
    • Backstory: 1+ paragraph / bulleted list
    • Experience: Level 4
    • Wealth: Starting Equipment + Starting Wealth From Background + 1 Uncommon Magic Item
    • Ability Scores: 27 point buy
    • Hitpoints/Health: Maximum at first level, average for subsequent levels
    • Multiclassing: None on creation (unrestricted afterwards)

I'll be looking for applicants over the next week or so, depending on the response we get. Let me know if there are any questions.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-20 at 10:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Post Sariel the Rogue

Sariel
    Level 4 Swashbuckler Rogue | HP: 37/37 | AC: 15

Meridian, despite being a thriving metropolis of magic and trade, has it's slums and underworld like anywhere else. Unto this world, little Sariel was born. Child of a one-night stand between a skilled con-artist and some elven researcher of magic who vanished from her life before the girl even knew she was pregnant, she learned everything she knows from mommy dearest. To their shared delight, Sariel was a natural both with her words and with a blade, and her sly hands and quick feet were nothing to sneeze at either.

There were ups and downs, in the early days they went hungry more than once, but at some point Sariel cleanly surpassed her mother and was on her way to being among the best the underworld had to offer. But it was not long after this that Sariel lost her parent, the woman falling prey to a local gang who felt threatened by the rising skill of the duo and sought to take them out. Sariel took revenge for that, cutting the gang to pieces the following night. She mourned, she raged, but she did not despair or lose her livelihood. Already good, she could look after herself, and even found (to some personal guilt) she worked better without her aging mother and her only moderate skills.

Soon finding simple cons and pick-pocketing not enough, Sariel quickly started to observe, mimic, and envy the lives of the very wealthy, wanting such things for herself. She had a silver tongue, and used it to make a lot of connections in the underworld. She learned how to imitate people for fun and profit, learning the ways of both high and low society. Still having a ways to go, she got to enjoy the high life through fake identities more than once.

Thanks to a recent flub, she had lost a fair bit of coin, and decided that trying some official work would be of a myriad of uses, not least of which free access to a few government buildings. This ghost thing seems to have everyone up in a panic, perhaps there was coin to be made here. And hey, who knows? Maybe she would be a hero or something?

...ppffffha! As if! Like that could happen.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Death & Taxes: High magic, low oversight & a suspicious amount of undead [5e]

I read through the IC posts and this looks like it could be fun. I have a couple ideas for characters. I'll get them made today and see which one comes out the best (I never know which of the ideas in my head will be the most fun until they are out and the character comes to life.)

Player's Handbook and DMG? I'm thinking maybe a Draconic sorcerer or a war cleric...I'll post tonight.

Have a great day, guys!!
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death & Taxes: High magic, low oversight & a suspicious amount of undead [5e]

This could be interesting. How much of the IC should we read over? Like, should we be expected to already know all the characters, or neh?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    This could be interesting. How much of the IC should we read over? Like, should we be expected to already know all the characters, or neh?
    This was to be my exact post! I am thinking of submitting a cleric, just to try them out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I made a fighter ages ago for a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist game that died immediately I've been looking for a good place to use again, Suraelia Halorian. I'd change the stats to point buy, level her up, and remove the Waterdeep elements, and take the Battle Master archetype.
    What do you think?

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vozen View Post
    Sarie
    I love the character! Swashbuckler is outside of the listed sources, but I think I've found the details for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    How much of the IC should we read over? Like, should we be expected to already know all the characters, or neh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    This was to be my exact post!
    You can read the current IC, but I wasn't going to assume any knowledge of/between the current characters. My plan was to start off new applicants as new recruits to the DoSS, with the current players as 1-mission veterans, but that depends on what point the ongoing game has reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I made a fighter ages ago for a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist game that died immediately I've been looking for a good place to use again, Suraelia Halorian. I'd change the stats to point buy, level her up, and remove the Waterdeep elements, and take the Battle Master archetype.
    What do you think?
    Suraelia looks good! I see no problem with Suraelia trading Waterdeep for Meridian (it has fewer splendors but more government accountability).
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-21 at 04:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    I love the character! Swashbuckler is outside of the listed sources, but I think I've found the details for it.
    Whoops, forgot that Swashbuckler was not a default Rogue archetype. Well, it's not that complex, lotta 1v1-ing, Charisma use, and more sustained damage if you do it right. ...also, initiative for days.

And no, it was not hard to find, I just googled '5e swashbuckler' for quick reference and it was the first result. But yea, I noticed of the lack of Rogue and elf-ish-ness and decided to fix that...also, no one that I saw was invested in Deception, which is very useful...she double's as a party face.

Oh also, since I have a spare 15 gp in my wallet, a Forgery Kit costs 15 gp, and the key initial aspect of Sariel is she's kinda broke at the moment, I thin I'm just gonna add a Forgery Kit to her inventory and take out the last of her money if you have no objections.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

You got a Bard? I looked in the OOC thread and didn't see any character sheets or anything, so I'm not totally sure.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'd love to play as a battlemaster fighter that wields a (collapsible) hand crossbow (but no other weapons except gadgets like vials of acid and poison or a grappling hook). The know your enemy ability, combined with a later multiclass to rogue for skills and cunning action, really paints me a good picture of a secret agent. Not to mention an actual investigator background.
    Plus, no magic (aside from items). He relies on pure skill and reliable gadgets made with good ol' fashioned mundane craftsmanship (his own, as it's his hobby outside of work).

If possible, this guy (name's Worgrim Vaosk) would be switching over from a different branch of the same organization as the other PCs. Turns out he had earned a paperwork job and got demoted for getting involved on a case that he wasn't assigned to; the only reason he didn't get fired was because his interference didn't cause any problems with that case.

Edit: Quick note on Suraelia: longswords aren't finesse weapons. You gotta use strength for those. Rapiers are finesse weapons though, they just don't have the versatile option for 1d10 damage two-handed.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-09-22 at 04:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Suraelia is updated. Just missing proficiency from Student of War since picking what artisan tool (or language since I could say I got a language from my background instead of a tool prof) to take would make more sense after I see what the rest of the party members have/don't have or finding out what might be useful.

Also haven't picked out magic item. Does the item absolutely have the be from the PHB/DMG? I ask because I'd like to customize an item from the Lost Mind of Phandelver.
    Specifically this one I'll spoiler below. (I'd like to make it a finesse "longsword" instead of a mace and by "longsword" I mean mechanically a rapier like how I've got Longswords* on my sheet right now, for flavor reasons. Would probably do minor flavor tweaks to the item too since I don't even know if Lathander is a diety in your setting and if you allow it I think Suraelia's father and uncle reforged the original item into a sword for her. Or if you like we can work out a different reason the item exists that has nothing to do with deities. *shrug* Pretty open to whatever there.)

*Though technically I really should have that written down as arming swords if I mean a 1 handed sword of that style. But I didn't know that at the time I originally made the character. Will probably change to that after item stuff gets settled.

Spoiler
    Show

Lightbringer
    Simple Weapon (mace), Melee Weapon, Uncommon
    4 lbs. 1d6 bludgeoning -
    This +1 mace was made for a cleric of Lathander, the god of dawn. The head of the mace is shaped like a sunburst and made of solid brass. Named Lightbringer, this weapon glows as bright as a torch when its wielder commands. While glowing, the mace deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage to undead creatures.

(I absolutely admit this item is better than a normal +1 weapon. But more importantly it better fits the setting, is useful for what we're doing, and most importantly of all is way less boring.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Celeste the Disenfranchised
    Fourth level Cleric of Tyr

Celeste grew up in a beautiful palace. She thought it was a palace, anyway. More like a rich merchant's mansion. Her family is well-to-do, and she was proud of her heritage. Her grandparents were known far and wide as wizards of great power who used their influence to improve the life of those in their town. She was a happy child, and always smiled and spread a positive attitude to those around her. Her father didn't inherit the abilities of her grandparents. Aldithas Waterbreeze, still went on to become a great merchant. Or so it seemed.

As the second child of Aldithas and his wife, Arnys, she was trained in keeping books and managing accounts, preparing to be the support person for her brother when he took over the family business. She eventually discovered what she would come to call The Shame. Her family was slavers. Upon finding this, Celeste fled from her family to the protection of Tyr's temple. There, she learned the skills to stand on her own and maybe, eventually, the ability to return and take on her family and end the evil practices they were undertaking.

Until then, she would go around the realm, righting wrongs and spreading the justice of Tyr.

That is Celeste's brief story. I have more to her background if you like, but I think that's enough to get her personality through.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

BardGuy

Just a quick note to begin with, please can applicants hold off posting in the OOC thread until selections are made. That area is for players oonly.

Does the item absolutely have the be from the PHB/DMG?
    To begin with, yes I'm going to have to stick with that rule. I don't want to devalue the current players by offering something they didn't have access to, if that makes sense. This game started as a high magic campaign, so magic items won't be scarce, and I'll take direction on what should show up from players, but for starting items it would have to be as laid out in the big 16.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    I'd love to play as a battlemaster fighter that wields a (collapsible) hand crossbow (but no other weapons except gadgets like vials of acid and poison or a grappling hook). The know your enemy ability, combined with a later multiclass to rogue for skills and cunning action, really paints me a good picture of a secret agent. Not to mention an actual investigator background.
    Plus, no magic (aside from items). He relies on pure skill and reliable gadgets made with good ol' fashioned mundane craftsmanship (his own, as it's his hobby outside of work).

If possible, this guy (name's Worgrim Vaosk) would be switching over from a different branch of the same organization as the other PCs. Turns out he had earned a paperwork job and got demoted for getting involved on a case that he wasn't assigned to; the only reason he didn't get fired was because his interference didn't cause any problems with that case.
    That all sounds good. It sounds like he'd fit in well with the tone of the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishybugs View Post
    That is Celeste's brief story. I have more to her background if you like, but I think that's enough to get her personality through.
    I like the backstory a lot, and yes that's plenty. One problem - the character link seems to be broken for me.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

That all sounds good. It sounds like he'd fit in well with the tone of the setting
    Sweet! I'll have a sheet up within 12 hours.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. *shrug* Well at least you know what kind of thing is on my magic item wishlist.
    I'll go with a Weapon of Warning. It's pretty interesting and as a two-weapon fighter I need two magical weapons eventually anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I like the backstory a lot, and yes that's plenty. One problem - the character link seems to be broken for me.
    Hmmm. I'm at work now and can't access Myth-Weavers. I'll look into it when I get home in the morning.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Read the IC thread and it seems very interesting. Iím going to whip up something like an elderly druid. Give me a little bit to put numbers on paper and think of a suitable background.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bernard Tolly
    Sheet is under construction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bernard began his life in Meridian as a hot headed and idealistic youth, like any other. He fought for the protection of the weathered old circle of stones that used to lie on the outskirts of the city, until a local band of Ďheroesí convinced him to stop raiding the grain storage bins under threat of death. As the city grew and swallowed the stone circle up, proximity bred familiarity, fraternization, and eventually a family of his own.

Now his children are grown and have struck out on their own: his son with children of his own, and his daughter a soldier in the Meridian guards. He hasnít forgotten those old oaths, but reverence for nature has become a love of fine wine and the best sauces to go with a good cut of filet. When the letter arrived asking him to assist with the DoSS he almost didnít accept.

But he did. Something about the weakening boundaries of the world worries him, and even a retired man of nature has to honor those old oaths once in a while.
    Last edited by Incendax; 2019-09-24 at 09:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Just a quick note to begin with, please can applicants hold off posting in the OOC thread until selections are made. That area is for players oonly.
    Oops, sorry. I got over-eager, won't happen again.

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

Whoops! Put him in the wrong thread on accident!
    Here is Worgrim Vaosk.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Just curious what the ETA is on selections is. Even if you're not ready for new people to start posting, selecting them before you are would allow them to read the IC so they're ready as soon as possible.

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

Just curious what the ETA is on selections is. Even if you're not ready for new people to start posting, selecting them before you are would allow them to read the IC so they're ready as soon as possible.
    I'm going to be making selections this weekend, and bringing people straight into the ongoing game.

Thanks for your applications everyone, I'll be reviewing tonight and tomorrow.

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Thanks to everyone who applied! Unfortunately I only have three spots at maximum, which go to the successful applicants listed below:

Player Character
    Ramsus Suraelia Halorian
    Incendax Bernard Tolly
    Vozen Sariel

If you're listed, please feel welcome to post in the OOC thread and read through the history of the IC thread (if you want). I'll give you three new players a day to get up to speed, pick your dialog colors (if desired) and say hi to the current players in OOC. If everyone is ready at this time tomorrow then we can get things going in the IC on Monday.

@Incendax There are a few mechanically important things missing from your character sheet. Any chance you can get them added in the next couple of days? We'll need them before we can put you in a combat situation.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-29 at 02:36 PM.