New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Internet Issues

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Internet Issues

So, periodically (sometimes as much as once a minute) my internet just kinda stops functioning. It says I"m hooked up the wifi, but I can't load a dang thing.

I can fix it by turning my laptop's wifi off and back on, and it only takes 10-20 seconds to restore and work, but it's really annoying. Any idea what might be causing the issue, and how to resolve it?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Internet Issues

Does this seem to happen anywhere you connect to wireless, or just to a particular network? If a particular network, do you know if any other devices (e.g., cellphone) are sporadically losing internet as well?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Have you tried restarting the router or whatever is actually providing the Wi-Fi signal, rather than your laptop? Those things are computers as well and can get flaky over time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

2 additional things I would look at.

- Get a wifi analyzer app for your phone and see if there is a better channel to have your router use. You router itself might be able to map the channels as well so you can see neighbors and what channels they are using.
    - Check your security software, specifically "internet" security programs you are running. I've seen similar behavior with some security software I used in the past because it was trying to validate urls before loading them.

Oh, a third idea for free *G*, do you see the same behavior when you are wired into your router with an Ethernet cable and turn on wifi?