The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I Zombie its pretty decent

In some old school ways I really like I Zombie. Sure the folks are in a repetive and terrible situation but their daily lives and the mood of the show isn't soo dark that when one dies you feel relieved for them. I'm thrilled it hasn't given into the Marly & Me or Battlestar reboot darkness (although both were great).

What do you all think or how would you describe it?

I'm not quite done yet so please don't ruin it of there is a nuclear apocolypse or whatever lol.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Zombie its pretty decent

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    In some old school ways I really like I Zombie. Sure the folks are in a repetive and terrible situation but their daily lives and the mood of the show isn't soo dark that when one dies you feel relieved for them. I'm thrilled it hasn't given into the Marly & Me or Battlestar reboot darkness (although both were great).

What do you all think or how would you describe it?

I'm not quite done yet so please don't ruin it of there is a nuclear apocolypse or whatever lol.
    The first season was fun but rapidly devolved into a 'brain of the week' episodic, save the the few episodes towards the end where they started following more of the over-arching plot.

The second season started off again as another 'brain of the week' and I lost interest by the middle of episode 2 or 3 I think. I haven't had the time or enthusiasm to give it a second go yet.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-09-20 at 02:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    The first season was fun but rapidly devolved into a 'brain of the week' episodic, save the the few episodes towards the end where they started following more of the over-arching plot.

The second season started off again as another 'brain of the week' and I lost interest by the middle of episode 2 or 3 I think. I haven't had the time or enthusiasm to give it a second go yet.
    I can see that. With practice I think they're riding the line with the 'brain of the week' and long term plot better now. I found the first few episodes to be the worst myself.

In some ways I find the 'brain of the week' refreshing. I just don't need the 8 year trek to see who sits on the throne out of every show I watch.

4. - Top - End - #4

It wrapped up a little bit back. I'll try to keep spoilers to a minimum, except to say that the story is complete.

It's pretty clearly Veronica Mars with a zombie skin, right down to the sharp pixie-ish heroine. Rob Thomas makes quite a few easter-eggy nods to the show. (Although negligible spoiler, one of the more amusing meta nods involved mentioning Rob Thomas the musician. Rob Thomas the writer really likes easter eggs and nods to his own fandoms.)

The characters are likable in a cartoonish way, although more so as their primary characters than as the brain-influenced personalities. (Rose McIver is a decent actress, but certain roles require an exceptional range and that isn't her strong suit.) Even the bad guys are lots of fun to watch. The dialogue is very clever, although sometimes it gets a little too quippy. And sometimes things that sound good at first wind up getting ahead of them. (E.G, and again negligible spoiler: there's a military character who shows up later in the show, and you find out that his last name is Mills. When they later have to refer to the character directly as General Mills, the joke starts to feel overdone.)

The biggest flaw to both shows is that they optimize around being fun in the moment. Episode to episode they're great fun. Concluding seasonal arcs can often require some stretching. And sometimes it feels like nobody in the writer's room is focused on the long term goal, which results in floundering.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I watched a fair bit of the first season before kinda just getting too busy, but I recently looked through the episode summaries of some of the later seasons.

Spoilering a question about later seasons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does it change from a "murder-mystery of the week/stop the zombie-guy spreading zombies/cope with being a zombie" to the city being cordoned off as a zombie-land and doing negotiations with the outside world?

Because some of the Netflix summaries of later episodes made it sound like that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

This many posts and none of you have mentioned the glory that is Ravi Chakrabarti? For shame.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't had a chance to watch I Zombie yet. But I would recommend White Trash Zombie, for a "similar" (sometimes TOO similar) concept. It is a great series of books, and if you get them as audiobooks the voices are awesome. It does deal a lot with the issues of becoming a zombie and it's not too limited with the statu quo that leads to brain of the week on a tv show.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)