The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default All full casting classes build

Okay so my group is going for a wacky one shot. We are suppose to do weird builds, but to help compensate we were given better rules for rolling for stats. I ended up with 8, 10, 14, 18, 20, 20. With this I really know what I want to do. All full casters. We are even starting at level 5. I love it. So the character build is bard 1/cleric 1/druid 1/sorcerer 1/wizard 1

So i don't know what order i want to take them in or even what subclasses i'm going to take, nor do i know what race or background i'm going to take (cap for stats is still 20). GM said the campaign should go to at least 12th level. I'm starting to do research on spells that scale well.

Any suggestions on how best to make this character work would be amazingly helpful. We are doing this campaign at the end of the month so I have some time to do reasearch. Thank you in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2

PaladinGuy

Default Re: All full casting classes build

So, I would go Warlock 1/Sorcerer 1/Bard 1/Wizard 2. Take Hexblade as a warlock, pump up Charisma, go Divination Wizard, and focus on cantrips a bit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Start sorcerer for the con save Proficiency then doesn't matter for the rest. I'd go:

Sorcerer: wild magic If your DM allows tides to happen a lot or divine soul for the favor of the gods bonus

Cleric: lots of good picks here but order domain is easy to capitalize on if you have a heavy hitter in the party or arcana for getting.. well all the cantrips.

Bard: don't matter. All the same until 3.

Wizard: don't matter.

Druid: don't matter.

The real question is what direction are you going from 6-12?
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Starting level is the big choice:

If you plan on using concentration spells a fair bit: Sorcerer first for proficiency in Con Saves

If you are aiming for widest weapon proficiencies: Bard first up (unless your cleric domain is either war or tempest, then any order yields the same result)
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2019-09-20 at 07:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Agree Sorcerer first for Con saves

For the fun keep things even:

Wizard 2 - divination (portent)
    Cleric 2 - channel divinity (knowledge is fun)
    Druid 2 - Moon druid wildshape
    Sorcerer 3 - Metamagic - twin and subtle
    Bard 3 - Lore - cutting words

Second level Bard and Sorcerer spells - No ASIs

MinMax I would go 8 levels of Wizard for 4th level spells and maximum rituals, plus two ASIs

Consider the 18 in Wisdom and go Resilient Wis and Observant to get your third casting stat to 20

Or just go warcaster and lucky....

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueWizardGirl

Not even trying or pretending to be optimal. Just a fun build. So no warlock. In order to have a good ac I probably should go heavy armor so definitely need to pick that up from cleric. Bard gives dex saves isnt that better then con?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kulosle View Post
    Not even trying or pretending to be optimal. Just a fun build. So no warlock. In order to have a good ac I probably should go heavy armor so definitely need to pick that up from cleric. Bard gives dex saves isnt that better then con?
    I would take Con save over Dex every time - Dex is usually just damage, Con and Wis tend to have more really painful status effects. Also Con is needed for those concentration saves.

Of course if this character is not using concentration spells that changes things, but their are great concentration spells at first level (Bless, Faerie Fire). Bless holds its value at high levels and can be useful to upcast Aid is a great upcast, and shatter from Bard 3 works great with a Tempest cleric

I doubt you have the strength for heavy armor - its not just the speed that's the issue - encumbrance is going to be a factor, and you don't want accumulating levels of fatigue

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueWizardGirl

Plate armor is only 65 lbs and I can carry 120 with an 8 str. And carry a staff for shillelagh. So just right there isnt a terrible character. Lol.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Plate armor is only 65 lbs and I can carry 120 with an 8 str. And carry a staff for shillelagh. So just right there isnt a terrible character. Lol.
    8 Str & Plate means you either want a Dwarf or are slowed. shillelagh implies high Wisdom which would either be 19 or waste the Hill Dwarfs +1 Wis. Druid class is the problem with this for me though as you cannot wear metal armour. Draconic Sorcerer gets permanent Mage Armour which with 20 Dex and a Shield also gives you AC 20.

Level 5 Character gives you Level 3 Spell slots and only Level 1 spells from five different classes. Life Cleric Power and Goodberry work well together. Magic Missile can be upcast as can Thunder Wave but neither are going to be as impressive as having Fireball or Hypnotic Patterns.

You end up with all the cantrips you could ever want. Shillelagh and Booming Blade let you attack for lots of damage in melee. Not really sure what else the character will be doing? If you have a 20 Dex you may not need Shillelagh to get maximum weapon damage depending on class.

Wizard: Int 14 lets you multiclass you get Ritual Casting and can get the utility spells such as Shield, Absorb Elements and Feather Fall. Magic Missile is also an option.

Hill Dwarf S:8 D:20 C:12 I:14 W:19 Ch:20
    Start as Sorcerer for Con Save then take Res (Wiz) at level 8.

Taking any of the races with a +2 stat lets you start with three 20's.
    Halfling S:8 D:20 C:11 I:14 W:20 Ch:20
    Start as Cleric then take Res (Con)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I agree with Sorc 1 for Con saves, any Cleric domain that grants Heavy Armor, and Dwarf to wear it. Other than that, getting Portent should be a no brainer. I'd probably want Metamagic too. I think if I was going to take at least 6 levels in any one of them I'd choose Bard(Lore) for short rest Inspiration dice and any 3rd level spells you wanted. I'd probably grab Warcaster with my only ASI.

so let's see.....

Sorcerer at least 2 levels for Font of Magic. Metamagic is great but if you want to utilize Metamagic I'd probably take predominately Sorc levels to have plenty of Sorcy points. I'd go Wild Magic for Tides of Chaos and it fits the "wacky" one shot

Wizard I'd grab Divination 2 for Portent and be done.

Druid I'd take at least 2 for Wildshape and be done. Druid 1 gives you the least of the 5 so 2 levels is a no brainer IMO.

Cleric is the best option to grab just 1 level of. But grabbing 2 levels of Tempest for heavy armor, and Destructive Wrath may be too good to pass up.

Bard as mentioned above is probably the best for taking the most levels. Lore stands out for obvious reasons.

I think it's be hard to snag 6 levels in any one of them though.

Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2, Druid 2, Cleric 1, Bard 6 = level 13 character

Sorcerer 4, Wizard 2, Druid 2, Cleric 1, Bard 3 may be a good way to go for 12 levels

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueWizardGirl

My group just let's things be maded out of dragonscale. So I could still get plate it would just be more expensive. And I dont think the reduced speed matters too much. But dwarf is a perfectly fine race so I might still do it. Any other spells I should be aware of that scale well?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

My group just let's things be maded out of dragonscale. So I could still get plate it would just be more expensive. And I dont think the reduced speed matters too much. But dwarf is a perfectly fine race so I might still do it. Any other spells I should be aware of that scale well?
    Lucky you! Druid in Plate is awesome.

I still struggle to find much to do spell wise with only first level spells. Magic Missile, Absorb Elements, Dissonant Whispers, Thunderwave and Healing spells all upcast which gives you some extra damage/healing. None are great but at least make use of your spell slots.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'm confused - you said that this is for a one shot, then you followed up by saying that the DM expects that you'll get to at least 12th level. That's a lot of leveling for a single 3-4 hour session.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    I finally broke down and got a homebrewer's signature.

This signature is currently so far out of date that it will loop around to being in date... never.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'm confused - you said that this is for a one shot, then you followed up by saying that the DM expects that you'll get to at least 12th level. That's a lot of leveling for a single 3-4 hour session.
    I editing out a similar statement the other day.
    Some folks use the one-shot term to instead mean a finite campaign unconnected to their regular game world. It's a strange and confusing use of the one-shot term.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Warlcok isn't just a super optimised dip, just don't go Hexblade and pick up some more fun orientated Invocations instead of pumping Eldritch Blast.

I'd start out with Sorcerer and go Draconic or Storm (flying around the battlefield every time you cast a spell seems to hit the wacky mark for me). To maximise the weird and whacky but "things work out for me" approach, go V Human and take Lucky and then go Divination Wizard. Between Luck points and Portent you can stumble around the battlefield being as unoptimised as you like and just 'bend luck' to your favour.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges