New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Is there a way for Channel Energy to deal non-lethal damage?

I'm looking to make a Life Oracle with focused on life being precious but using Mythic Alignment Channel to defeat evil creatures and defend life as well, but I'd like it if she didn't have to kill evil creatures. I asked my GM if there was a way to do nonlethal damage with a channel and he said he didn't think so. I suggested the feat Merciful Spell or something based off it. He just said metamagic feats don't affect Channel Energy. I'm hoping there's some way for a life focused healer to fight without having to kill. I know merciful spell and spell casting does work, but I planned to mostly use my channel as my weapon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a way for Channel Energy to deal non-lethal damage?

Hmm... Channel Ray + Touch of Mercy? (Rays are considered weapons.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm not aware of anything that already exists that would do what you are asking, but you might be able to homebrew it using something similar to the variant Channeling options.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there's Turn Undead, which defeats enemies without damaging them. It can be made to work on creatures other than undead, too.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Sarenrae's Divine Fighting Technique is pretty close to what you're looking for. It lets you deal nonlethal damage with a scimitar without a penalty, and to cause nonlethal damage with any spell with the fire, good, or light descriptors (and inflict spells). It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to ask your GM if that would apply to Channel Energy, too. Picking Sarenrae for your deity would be very thematic for this concept as well. Minimizing pain and redeeming bad guys is her whole shtick.