New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

d6 New Player Questioning Delayed Actions

So, being new to the game and reading through delayed actions, if I chose to, and had high enough initiative for multiple passes, can I delay my action until just before my next action, such that in practice I would take two turns in a row?

I'm aware this isn't something you would do as a general rule, I just want to know if theoretically that can happen, so that I can make sure my understanding of initiative and delayed actions is correct.

This is Shadowrun 5e, just to be clear.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: New Player Questioning Delayed Actions

Quote Originally Posted by Poblobo View Post
    So, being new to the game and reading through delayed actions, if I chose to, and had high enough initiative for multiple passes, can I delay my action until just before my next action, such that in practice I would take two turns in a row?

I'm aware this isn't something you would do as a general rule, I just want to know if theoretically that can happen, so that I can make sure my understanding of initiative and delayed actions is correct.

This is Shadowrun 5e, just to be clear.
    In 2E, you must wait 10 "segments" after taking your delayed action before taking your next one. This means if you delay long enough, you can lose actions. I suspect 5th Edition would be similar, but you'll need to wait for someone else to confirm.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

smile Re: New Player Questioning Delayed Actions

Cheers, but yeah, I need someone who knows about 5e. For some reason it's really hard to find information on Shadowrun online.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, funny story. I went to get my SR5 main book, opened it up to a random page, which HAPPENED to be the one with the rule for Delaying Actions, page 161 of the SR5CE.

I...think you may be right. The third paragraph says that the character keeps their usual Initiative score, and then if they don't act before the end of the Initiative Pass, they reduce their initiative by 10 as normal at the end of that pass.

I'd run it by your GM, to be sure, because that feels a little lame. But the wording sure seems to suggest it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You certainly could, but there is generally little reason to. And; you snooze you lose.