New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Solo studied E, awareness slowly and stubbornly dawned on him. He'd been something of an ass to her since Iago's death, perhaps even before that. Far too dismissive, too curt. Her enthusiasm to help, while irritating, was laudable. He opened his mouth to say something to bridge the gap he'd suddenly seen between them but, as usual in matters of the heart, nothing came out. He had to offer her something though, and there was a hunt he'd been saving, one he'd hoped to share with Bear, but maybe E would appreciate it more 'I do have something you can help me with E, after we come back from the hisil.' He pronounced it as she had.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

E's eyes widen, a hesitant excitement creeping into her expression. "What is it?" she asks, still folding herself into Michael's embrace.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Michael gives E a squeeze, the kind that seems to carry a great deal of subtext, this time saying that things would work out.

“Have to admit, I’m a little curious too.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Solo's smile widened, maybe he wasn't so bad at this after all 'You're welcome to join us Mike. The guys that shot at Bear, or rather the ones that got away. I know where to find them.'

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just a thought; Now we've got an idea of what 'the new bedford look' is, would the gangsters match it? I got the impression that didn't but t doesn't hurt to check.
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-10-16 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear frowns, "We need to be careful about that. The cops brushed off the first incident because it just looked like a mugging gone wrong, and they never knew about the second encounter. But if we keep dropping bodies they're bound to notice. They might be privately cheering us on, but they'll still consider it their duty to find out who's responsible."

"I should probably also point out that I have personally killed every single one of them that has actually shot at me or any member of the pack. Those violent actions were avenged in the moment. If we knew that others in the gang plan to attack us out of perceived retaliation, a preemptive strike on our part would be justified. But killing people just for wearing the same color as now dead fools? That would not be honorable."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-16 at 06:49 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I'm in then," E says with a satisfied, if not slightly blood hungry grin, "especially if Michael's coming." She twists around to plant a series of excited and overly sweet kisses on the Uratha's cheek, before finding his mouth.

Spoiler: @Ladorak
    Show

Just a thought; Now we've got an idea of what 'the new bedford look' is, would the gangsters match it? I got the impression that didn't but t doesn't hurt to check.
    The UFP gangsters do not seem to match the balding, wide spaced round eyed, short necked "New Bedford Look" so to speak. But that is an excellent question. That said, that doesn't mean there aren't more nefarious machinations behind the UFP's actions...

(OOC: I PM'ed TC and hopefully we will have Blaze's response to move things forward)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Alright," Blaze said, "I'm going to hit the library and do some research on what kind of herbal remedies might make for a good bane we can use. Then I'll try to hack into the hospital from there to get their inventory lists, and bring everything back here so we can compare and see if it's worth it to try and pull off a heist."

"Y'all are welcome to come with me but it might be pretty boring," he added.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Just a quick check, is Blaze going to the library, or to the whaling museum?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

”I’ll go and be bait for our crazy Kin, then.” Kara said, still tapping away at her phone to post status updates for the band on their various social media accounts. ”I’ll be much more helpful pulling off the actual heist as a distraction than, y’know…..researching ****.”

”Give me a few minutes to get ready!” Kara chirped happily before slipping off to her room, pulling clothes off as she went so she could get into something that’d be a bit more appropriate for the task at hand.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Moving things along)

After breakfast, the pack parts ways. All Uratha of the Anchor Wolves, other than Blaze move to the back of the warehouse property. The locus, a towering stone pyre covered in barnacles and mussels, practically drips Essence that has gathered over the last few days. Those who were hungry could feast on the Essence filled bivalves, before Reaching across the Gauntlet to enter the Hisil.

Show
    Opportunity for those who are running low to gain 1 Essence. Reaching will not require a roll or Essence. Because I don't know if you want to try to summon Izidahk or something similar before starting the hunt, I am not pushing the group further along. Please play through what you want to do.

While the others were pushing across the Gauntlet into the realm of Spirit, Blaze pulled up his phone's map app, and walked the fifteen minutes into downtown New Bedford. The road was all grey cobblestone, the sidewalk cracking flagstone. The buildings here were a mix of stately stone and brick structures, and a number of smaller run down storefronts.

It was not far to the New Bedford public library. The building had a large brick terraced yard that led up to a series of ascending stone steps, worthy of a capitol building. The library itself was built of similar grey flagstone, built in the roman revival style, the entrance boarded by tall Corinthian stone columns.

Inside the library, everything is warm burgundy paint, lush polished redwood, and warm yellow lighting. However, the library is eerily empty. The entrance leads up to a front desk, currently unmanned; to the right an area of outdated computer monitors, and to the left rows of half filled bookshelves. Blaze's steps practically echo as he enters, despite the soft brown carpeting.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear reaches out and takes some essence, feeling its warmth restore some of his depleted reserves.

Once everyone has crossed over, he asks Solo, "How far gone is our brother? Is there any chance we might be able to reach him in his state? I will suffer his rage if that is what it takes to bring peace to his mind."

Regardless of the answer, Bear will turn to Michael next, "If you could call upon Izidakh, I would appreciate it."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze’s first order of business was to try and figure out what kind of old traditional medicines might still be available today. He’d start with the computers and see if there was a digital catalogue.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

It didn’t take long for Kara to return, ready to go on their hunt of the maddened Uratha. The Cahalith was punked up to the nines, with heavy combat boots haphazardly laced on her feet and thigh-high ripped black stockings on her lithesome legs. A loose-fitting Metallica tank top and a pair of black short shorts finished off the look.

She was busy braiding her long hair into two loose pigtails as she followed the rest of the Pack towards the locus, letting the Essence flow through her and bolster her connection to the spirit world.

When she finished with her hair, she checked a small canvas messenger bag that held a few odds and ends. Atant, a switchblade, a few bottles of water and some snacks in case they got hungry on the way.

Show

Kara will snatch one Essence, bringing her to 9/10 if my math is right. Otherwise, she’ll wait for Michael to call Izidhak.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC: Hisil
    Show
    I have updated Bear's Essence to 8, and Aisling's to 9 in the character boxes.

Blaze strolls into the seemingly abandoned library, sitting himself down at a blocky computer. It takes a frustratingly long time for the device to boot up, the fan whirring desperately as the machine comes to life. After nearly ten minutes, Blaze is able to log on and begin his research.

Spoiler: OOC@Blaze
    Show
    So lets start with a Int+Computers+2 roll
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze got to work on the ancient machine , trying to find what he was looking for.

Spoiler
    Show

Int + computers + 2(10d10)[1][9][5][7][5][8][2][4][6][5](52)
    10 again: (10d10)[2][1][1][9][10][4][8][3][9][9](56)
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The list Blaze comes up with is very similar the to the rough list that he had made while searching on his phone. Medications like Senna, Warfarin, Digoxin, and Botox were all derived either from plants or were chemical produced by nature. Furthermore, there were a number of plant based "alternative medicines" that were commonly being used in hospitals, from marijuanna based products such as CBD oil and Marinol, to less processed items such as St. Johns Wort and Ginseng were commonly used medically and even provided in hospitals.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Now armed with a list of useful products Blaze wanted to do some research and find out if there was anywhere aside from the hospital to acquire them in the amounts they needed. Maybe a warehouse or something before they're shipped to their final destinations. He would be calling upon spirits in the deserted library to assist him with the task.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blaze will spend an essence to use sift the sands to locate all the areas nearby where the natural remedies he's found are stored in large amounts.
    it's an extended roll int 4+ academics 0 + wisdom 2 and requires 10 successes with an interval of 1 minute.
    in hindsight I probably should have dropped a point into academics, let me know if I can do that retroactively I'm fine either way.

TC for short

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    So, at the end of the day, Blaze is under no time crunch, and each roll takes up only a minute, so regardless of your dice pool, I just don't see the point of making you roll till you get 10 successes. Let's just assume Blaze succeeds. That said, because Blaze is unskilled he takes a -3 penalty (the penalty for all mental based skills when you have no dots), which would actually make his dice pool 3d10 rather than 6d10.

While I'm not in love with the retroactive spending of XP to bolster a roll, I'll allow it in this instance since the only difference it makes is how long it will take Blaze to activate his Gift. So lets say without spending the XP it would take about 12 minutes (odds of rolling 8/9/10 are 3/10 or just under 1/3 and you are rolling three dice per minute... note I am not a stats person), but if you do spend the XP it takes about 6 minutes.

Please let me know if you want to spend the 2XP, and I will update your character box. I am going to go ahead and resolve the activation of the Gift. I am removing 1 Essence from Blaze's character box, and he is now down to 8/10.

If anyone were around, they would be quiet startled by what was happening as Blaze called on his Gift of Knowledge. Every single computer in the row of desks suddenly whirred to life, their fans creating a high pitched and near deafening hum in the library. The yellow tinted lights in the room began to flicker with the surge of electricity needed to power Blaze's search.

In the Hisil, computer and knowledge spirits were suddenly drawing together in a swarming cloud of communication. The spirits seemed to connect to each other in web that extended across the Hisil, reaching out of the library in every direction; a network of electric ephemera.

The monitor's desktop screen became covered with a dripping liquid like substance that glowed a dim green light. Across this fluid surface, First Tongue glyphs, similar to those that glowed across Blaze's spirit form, shone into existence in answer to the Uratha's question. Though not a drawing or diagram, the glyphs were creating a sort of map for Blaze; detailing for the Uratha a list of locations where the herbs, roots, and medicines he needed could be found. There was a number of nurseries, where several of the ingredients Blaze needed could be sought. The location of several drug stores was also provided.

Then, a single text box appeared at the bottom of the screen. The buttons on Blaze's keyboard began to tap themselves as glyphs spread across the text box, and Blaze was certain that this was the computer spirit of the unit that he sat at, speaking directly to him. The message read, "Tannis root. You will need Tannis root in your recipe if you wish to defeat The Plague. Tannis root is rare, and can only be found on the other side. For a Gathra, I will tell you where it can be found in plenty!"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-10-20 at 04:35 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze started scratching down notes on where he could find the goods when the text box popped up from the computer spirit. He considered the message a moment before tapping back a response:

greetings wise one, and thank you for the Tannin Root recommendation. It seems we have a mutual interest. What would be a suitable gathra to offer in exchange for its location in the Hisil?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-20 at 07:43 PM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Michael looks around, trying to remember exactly how he used to do this. It was rare that it would be directed by him, that Izidakh would come. Almost always it would be unbidden. Sure, it would be when he needed him, or was feeling depressed, or some other moment that he supposed resonated a call, but this time was a little different. Still though...he had met him since his change, had spoken, and now he needed to call him.

He remembered the way the spirit had sounded and tried to latch on to that. He tried to call him, the way he called him when he caught sight of his fleeting form around a building or a wall...or a chair. He tried to call him while thinking of the dead animals. He tried calling him with the taste of blood imagined in his mouth. And then he waited. That was what he did with Izidakh, back when he knew nothing. Now, he at least knew a little.

Show
    I will likewise grab an essence and call out to Izidakh.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Averting his gaze from Bear Solo answered quietly 'I'd love to be proven wrong... But I don't think there's anything left in there for us to reach.'
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The sigils on the computer screen disappear for a moment, and the only movement on the screen is the flash of a shimmering blue cursor. After several pulses of the cursor, the following message appears on the screen, this time in English, "LOL Uratha, isn't it that you normally offer me a Gathra, and I choose to accept or not? Don't you know anything about proper curtsy??? Why does no one know as much as ME?"

The letters stay lit on the screen for a moment before seeming to dissolve in the liquid glow of the enchanted monitor. Then the following message appears, "Very well. This computer that houses me is in need and requires much repair. Find me a new home, or find a way to make this one faster, more powerful." Again, the words remain on the screen long enough for Blaze to read them, before finally washing away, leaving just the flashing cursor on the screen.

Show
    Michael regains an Essence as well, and is back up to 9/10.

Michael takes a moment to reflect, but he is taken by an impulse that comes as naturally as waving to an old friend. He throws his head back and howls, his voice seeming to carry to the ends of the spirit world.

The gathered Uratha can feel something shifting within the Hisil, and it is probably under a minute before Izidakh arrives with his pack of lesser dog spirits. The lupine dog spirit that Michael called up stands at the head of his pack, green eyes shimmering in the purple light of the morning. It and the other dog spirits stand several paces away from the Uratha, several of the lesser spirits growling or whining in the presence of these apex predators. Stepping forward, Izidakh says, "You called upon me Uratha Michael?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear assumes wolf form as Michael makes the call. As the dog pack approaches he sits down and does his best to convey with body language that this was a peaceful meeting. "It concerns the rogue Uratha. It seems that we cannot recover our fallen brother from this madness, and so he must be dealt with. We will begin the hunt for him shortly. But we are forbidden from taking the life of one of our blood, even under such circumstances as these. We can weaken them to the point that death is near. But another must actually take his life."

"You and your pack are among those who have suffered as a result of our brother's madness. It seems appropriate to ask if you are willing to join us in our hunt. If there are others who would choose to help or even just stand Witness, we would call upon them as well."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze fired off a text message to the band.
    "Anyone got enough money to buy a new laptop we can donate to the library as a gathra? One of my 'helpers' knows where to find some good stuff we need on the other side and wants a new house to trade for it."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-23 at 10:48 AM.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

'It is a solemn duty, no glory or joy in it,' adds Solo quietly 'But it is an honorable thing. You would be helping us to honor our Oaths and bring harmony.'
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As the pack of dog spirits stare down the pack of Uratha, Atant unceremoniously speaks up. In an excited and eager version of Kara's voice, the cellphone spirit passes along Blaze's attempted text message for all to hear, "Anyone got enough money to buy a new laptop we can donate to the library as a gathra? One of my 'helpers' knows where to find some good stuff we need on the other side and wants a new house to trade for it."

Izidakh growls for a moment. Ignoring the interruption, the spirit alpha proudly says, "We are not your dogs to command," This raises a cry of snarls and barks from the pack of mongrels, but they quickly stifle when Izidakh speaks up again. "But we consider Michael in many ways to be one of ours. We have followed him for many years, and watched him grow from a pup into... one of you. What is your request Uratha Michael?"

Spoiler: OOC@ER
    Show
    Assuming Michael is going to ask the Dog spirits to join, please give me Presence + Persuasion + Honor/Wisdom Renown, unless there is another route you want to take
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear opens his mouth, about to protest that that's not what he meant, but thinks better of it. Apparently he wasn't helping.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara smiled as she heard a version of her voice from Atant.

”I got it covered.” The Cahalith fired a quick message back to Blaze.

<<It’s on me. I’m forwarding my credit card info to you now. Go ahead!>>

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael stammers a little, when the attention of every Uratha and dog spirit suddenly falls on him. But the pup quickly throws his shoulders back, and narrows his eyes in a posture of confidence. Speaking to Izidakh and his pack, Michael says, "Izidakh, if you would, the allying of your pack with ours on this hunt will only serve to benefit us both."

Michael's words are met by much commotion; barking and yipping from lesser dog spirits with multiple heads, and scarred pelts. But when Izidakh speaks, his barking First Tongue quickly silencing the rabble. "Then for the sake of Uratha Michael, we shall assist your pack this one time. We shall help you hunt down this mad mongrel of yours." At first, not a single dog spirit responds; but the silence is quickly followed by an enthusiastic chorus of barks, and howls.

Blaze receives Kara's response, though his phone seems to glitch momentarily, as the words pop onto the screen without Blaze opening the text, and the buzzing "notification" chime doesn't sound till nearly a minute after Blaze has read the message.

Kara's credit card information is sufficient to purchase whatever hardware or supplies would be needed for a complete upgrade and overhaul of this computer.

Spoiler: OOC: TC/Erulasto
    Show
    Kara has resources 3 dots. I would assume the supplies would probably be mostly a collection of 1-2 dot pieces of hardware, but if we call it essentially 3 dots of resources acquisition, there should be no difficulty paying for the parts. As per the rules, Kara cannot tap into her resources for the rest of the "scene"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze tapped a response.

"This is acceptable, I will return with a donation to the library of an upgraded computer for you to make your home."

He'll thank the spirits who aided him, make sure he has all the information he needs in the form of lists of supplies and where to get them, and then exits to find a store where he can purchase some hardware.

Rather than returning straight to the library, he'll head home to fire it up and install some hidden tools on it, as he intends on using it later to hack into the hospital.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-26 at 10:33 AM.
    TC for short