The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Hey, im a playing a group currently just hit 6th level in Curse of Strahd.
    My character is a battlemaster fighter (great weapon master and polearm master) and I have silvered my weapons so i manage to bypass alot of resistance within the game, but as you probably know it is pretty impossible to get a magical polearm in modules and polearms are heavily involved with my character and her backstory (so its not like i can just swap to another magical weapon and use that).
    Right now im carrying the team through most fights, but i know that since the fight with Strahd and probably more vampires and their spawn is coming that my days are numbered. It wont be long before i am bearly hitting with my great weapon master attacks againt their high AC's and even when i do hit it wont deal alot of damage because of the resistance.
    My dm refuses to incorporate one into the game or make any sort of adjustments to help me with this, especially since im the only player with a character who will have an issue with it, im wondering if there is any point multiclassing forge cleric to get the magic weapon at level 1(i would have to sacrifice my 20 strength from the level 6 ASI and add it to my wisdom to be able to do so at level 7)?
    Are there many creatures that have resistance to non-magical attacks (that can't be overcome by silver) still to come? (Currently been to the chapel in Kresk and recieved the tome of strahd from the werewolves there, fought the blights at the winery).
    And do you personally think its worth getting the resistance piercing? Or would just sticking to fighter work out better?

    Thanks for any input cause im really torn here!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    What is the rest of the party?

    Magic Weapon requires a 2nd level spell slot and Concentration, but could be cast by a Paladin or Wizard. 1d10+6 x 0.5 x 2 = 16 damage per round for your Wizard's Concentration spell.

    You could also do a bunch of drop/pick up shenanigans where you take the opportunity attacks on enemies who are approaching, then drop the polearm and pull out a +1 magic weapon and do damage, then swap back at the end of the fight.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SD
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureGnome View Post
    Hey, im a playing a group currently just hit 6th level in Curse of Strahd.
    My character is a battlemaster fighter (great weapon master and polearm master) and I have silvered my weapons so i manage to bypass alot of resistance within the game, but as you probably know it is pretty impossible to get a magical polearm in modules and polearms are heavily involved with my character and her backstory (so its not like i can just swap to another magical weapon and use that).
    Right now im carrying the team through most fights, but i know that since the fight with Strahd and probably more vampires and their spawn is coming that my days are numbered. It wont be long before i am bearly hitting with my great weapon master attacks againt their high AC's and even when i do hit it wont deal alot of damage because of the resistance.
    My dm refuses to incorporate one into the game or make any sort of adjustments to help me with this, especially since im the only player with a character who will have an issue with it, im wondering if there is any point multiclassing forge cleric to get the magic weapon at level 1(i would have to sacrifice my 20 strength from the level 6 ASI and add it to my wisdom to be able to do so at level 7)?
    Are there many creatures that have resistance to non-magical attacks (that can't be overcome by silver) still to come? (Currently been to the chapel in Kresk and recieved the tome of strahd from the werewolves there, fought the blights at the winery).
    And do you personally think its worth getting the resistance piercing? Or would just sticking to fighter work out better?

    Thanks for any input cause im really torn here!
    You kinda shot your self in the foot with the V human GWM/PaM approach. It's a common pit fall I see players trip up on a lot.

    The good news is that even against targets with damage resistance from non magical weapons you can still do respectable damage and BM allows a lot of CC and setting up the team that can be more effective than spamming GWM and using precision attack when you miss.

    I respect your DM for not catering their campaign to make sure that you get the magical weapon that perfectly fits with every build.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureGnome View Post
    Right now im carrying the team through most fights, but i know that since the fight with Strahd and probably more vampires and their spawn is coming that my days are numbered. It wont be long before i am bearly hitting with my great weapon master attacks againt their high AC's and even when i do hit it wont deal alot of damage because of the resistance.
    Why do you think you're going to start hitting less? Things will only improve as you finally spend ASIs on stats and prof goes up.

    Yes you do half damage...but all your attacks are also doing +10 damage and you're making an extra attack every single turn. Honestly that's probably a better deal than a bard gets against an enemy with magic residence and good saves.

    Basically yes you won't be as good in some combats but apparently you're currently carrying so there's clearly scope to be worse and still contribute.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    Why do you think you're going to start hitting less? Things will only improve as you finally spend ASIs on stats and prof goes up.

    Yes you do half damage...but all your attacks are also doing +10 damage and you're making an extra attack every single turn. Honestly that's probably a better deal than a bard gets against an enemy with magic residence and good saves.

    Basically yes you won't be as good in some combats but apparently you're currently carrying so there's clearly scope to be worse and still contribute.
    Not to mention that there's an easy toggle -- if you want to hit more often, don't activate GWM. Sure, you lose +5 or +10 to damage, but I see it as a bonus that you can't just mindlessly use that constantly and instead are pushed towards treating it as a decision. Feel free to narrate accordingly, e.g. that your character has realised missing a stronger hit isn't benefiting, or that hitting is more important than hitting hard (especially against creatures who don't get the fill massive boost to damage).

    It might even mean your party can take turns shining, instead of always being carried by you as you said!

    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    The good news is that even against targets with damage resistance from non magical weapons you can still do respectable damage and BM allows a lot of CC and setting up the team that can be more effective than spamming GWM and using precision attack when you miss.
    Agreed; change up the strategies. You can tank, use other abilities, and perhaps even help set your partymates up to be better as a group. Sometimes you'll shine; sometimes they'll shine; sometimes you'll mainly shine as a group.

    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I respect your DM for not catering their campaign to make sure that you get the magical weapon that perfectly fits with every build.
    Agreed!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Your could take a couple of levels of warlock for pact weapon.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    I won't go into detail, but I hope it's not much of a spoiler to say that there's at least one magical spear in CoS

    Otherwise, I don't know how "heavily involved with polearms" your character is, but I don't see why you can't switch to a different weapon when needed. You already bring ranged weapon for enemies you can't fight with your heavy pointy stick, don't you? Using a different option when required is just good tactical decision, that doesn't mean you'll have to use it all the time.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals get loose.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    If you aren't completely set on it being a polearm, there are magical weapons "guaranteed" (as in, they are there unless the DM decides they aren't) to be in CoS that qualify for PAM, though not with reach.
    Last edited by Lunali; 2019-09-21 at 09:51 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    I won't go into detail, but I hope it's not much of a spoiler to say that there's at least one magical spear in CoS

    Otherwise, I don't know how "heavily involved with polearms" your character is, but I don't see why you can't switch to a different weapon when needed. You already bring ranged weapon for enemies you can't fight with your heavy pointy stick, don't you? Using a different option when required is just good tactical decision, that doesn't mean you'll have to use it all the time.
    A spear isn't a polearm in 5e, so that doesn't help much.

    Me, i'd check with the party if there is any way to get a magic weapon spell or such for the really dangerous fights, allowing you to get past the problem. You can also just keep hitting and look for ways to increase survivability, if you hit half as hard but last twice as long as before, you'll still output the same damage. Admittedly hard and leaves the rest of the party at the same level, so not sure how much it helps, but an idea nontheless.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon-noob View Post
    A spear isn't a polearm in 5e, so that doesn't help much.

    Me, i'd check with the party if there is any way to get a magic weapon spell or such for the really dangerous fights, allowing you to get past the problem. You can also just keep hitting and look for ways to increase survivability, if you hit half as hard but last twice as long as before, you'll still output the same damage. Admittedly hard and leaves the rest of the party at the same level, so not sure how much it helps, but an idea nontheless.
    The spear was actually added to the list of weapons eligible for Polearm Master in a fairly recent errata. Also, there is a magical quarterstaff, though Iíve always disliked the shield and stick combo, it is a valid usage. You wonít be able to use GWM except for the first bullet, but itís an option
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    So you've got access to a blacksmith who can silver weapons.If I were you, I'd get a magic dagger, and see if you can have the blacksmith mount it onto a spear. Failing a magical dagger, take some of those inherently magical monster parts and see if there's some quest or technique to modify them into a magical polearm head. I'd expect at best a magical weapon with no modifiers, and probably some negative effects vs particular opponents, and possibly some debts with unsavory and powerful people. At worst, you may end up with perpetual disadvantage- but that's really only be appropriate if you tie a dagger to a 10 foot pole yourself and call it a spear.

    Failing that, as other posters have said, be flexible. You're a fighter. You might be the greatest at polearms, but if it's not hurting them as much as this magical flail, then flail away!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    You could always work with the DM to craft/get it crafted somewhere. Though the module isn't super-suited for that, it seems reasonable enough and the secret ingredient could easily be tied to the story Š la the nail of a vampire or whatever.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    Honestly just change up your weapons/ strategy as needed. I had a variant human crossbow expert rogue for curse of strahd that I played as a sniper most of the campaign. When it came to fighting strahd I fought him in melee with a magic weapon that is in the campaign and it went great. You don't need to make use of your feat or specific build in every combat to be effective overall. Just roll with it.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    To tell the truth, it seems totally implausible that anyone in Barovia would be capable of teaching forgecraft, so the DM is unlikely to allow it. But let's ignore that for now.

    First of all, your situation isn't so horrible. You noted that the rest of your party doesn't have the issue. So the *party* isn't doing half damage against vampires, the *party* is only doing about 15% less damage per round. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

    Second, switching from polearm to some other weapon is sometimes worth it if the other weapon is extremely magical -- like artifact-level awesome, way more than a simple +1.

    Third, you can already cast Magic Weapon on yourself at 5th level, why not just do that when necessary?

    Fourth... if there's a wizard in the party they should also be willing to cast Magic Weapon.

    Fifth... if you still want it after all the above, why should you be the one to multiclass? Why not convince one of the other party members who already has enough wisdom to take a level of Forge Cleric? Then they can magic-ify your weapon.
    Last edited by Ganders; 2019-09-25 at 09:45 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    micahaphone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    North

    Default Re: Resistance Issues (Curse of Strahd)

    No idea if this is in the book, but in my CoS game, Vallaki has a pretty cool blacksmith. Get their help attaching the holy magic sword to a long pole, boom you got yourself a glaive

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •