The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: 40K Dark Heresy - Saga of the Gatekeepers (IC)

Hassan sits in silence as the table erupts with questions, his fingers interlocked in front of his face as he meets each interrogative with a gaze. His expression betrays no emotion, his posture shows neither anger nor confusion. He simply waits until the questions subside, and then slowly unfolds his hands and leans forward. One hand falls beneath the table out of sight, and the other grabs a hold of his data-slate and slides it across the tabletop towards Lourn.

Hassan then speaks, his voice even quieter and his syllables lengthened, a man choosing his words with the utmost precision.

"Master Calad, my contact aboard the Kingmaker is known only as 'Blackraven'. They have given me valuable intelligence over the last five years, but to say that I trust them implicitly would be a severe mistake. I have never personally met them, nor seen their face, frankly, I cannot tell you if Blackraven is a man or a woman. I know that they went through great lengths to provide me with the information that I have for you today and that they are likely hiding deep undercover as of now so as not to reveal their identity as an Inquisitorial informant."

He turns to Lourn and nods at the data-slate. "The answers to your questions will be on that slate, Master Lourn. The ones you require answers to, anyways. As to my preference on covert removal versus 'blindly shuffling aboard and asking nicely', as you may have gathered already, I can't even be one hundred percent certain that the black box is, in fact, on board. Intelligence from Blackraven is scant. Your first task would be to ascertain the existence and whereabouts of said box. Its retrieval I leave to your discretion."

Spoiler: LOURN'S EYES ONLY: Data-Slate Information
    Show
    Confidential Informant: Blackraven
    Note: Do not attempt to communicate nor engage with codename Blackraven. Attempts at either may jeopardize Blackraven's position aboard the vessel.
    Vessel Alpha: Factorum Rex (Kingmaker)
    In Service With: Civilian
    Class: Retrofitted civilian cargo hauler
    Captain: Siobhan o Caeallaigh (Joanna Kelly)
    Crew Complement: Unknown, believed to be between 100,000 and 200,000 personnel

Vessel Bravo: (Drekihammar) Dragon's Hammer
    Class: REDACTED
    In Service With: REDACTED
    Captain: REDACTED
    Crew Complement: REDACTED
    -Included in the information regarding the Kingmaker is a series of partially completed maps. The ship looks to be a total mess with no real rhyme nor reason to its layout. However, the maps may come in handy if used by a trained eye.

The Inquisitor then turns his gaze to Icharus, and for the first time since he has spoken, you can all see one of his eyebrows furrow, perhaps being caught unawares by the questions laid before him.

"I have been in the Emperor's service my entire life, Master Burns," he says, "And with the Inquistion for many years of that lifetime. I have gained something of a reputation for seeing that which others have difficulty seeing themselves. That's what makes me a so damned good at my job, I see connections. I see the threads. I see the entire web before it is complete. It also makes me a good judge of character. You think you're the first group I have assembled from out of nothing? You're not. Nor will you be the last."

At this point, he breaks eye contact and turns to face the entire group. He raises his voice ever so slightly and continues.

"You ask important questions. Yes, important questions indeed. Unfortunately, my answers may not satisfy you, but I will try. You want to know, 'why us?'. That is fair to ask. Why should you go so blindly into the unknown with so little to go off of? Why a team of complete strangers rather than my own trained men and women? What does the future hold if you are successful? Frankly, my men and women have a host of other matters that need my attention. As for your future...that will depend entirely upon the nature of your return. My wish is to begin building a level of trust between us all. If all goes well, this will be the first of many missions together.

As for why you are here, you have each been chosen by me personally. I know more about you all than some of you even know about yourselves. I see potential. I see a team capable of carrying the Emperor's light into the darkest reaches of space.

But it goes far beyond 'me' choosing you. Fate has brought you all here today, right at this very moment, all together. Everything that has ever happened throughout billions of years, from the very first instance of time itself, has led you to me, right here, right now. I believe each human soul in this galaxy has a part to play in history, and I believe that your lives are better spent in my service than waiting to die at the bottom of a hive city, or on the front lines amidst the condemned,
    " his eyes flicker to Lourn, "or on a black ship moving inexorably towards Holy Terra," and his eyes settle back on Icharus.

"If you don't believe that your lives carry some measure of purpose in the Emperor's grand scheme, than I cannot help you. But if that be the case, let this be known. You will do this because this is the Imperium of Mankind, and nothing but the sacrifice of countless billions has kept the darkness at bay for ten thousand years. You will do this because it is expected of each and every one of us to answer the bell when duty calls. You will do this because it must be done.

And if you tell me that that isn't enough for you, I won't believe it.
    "
    Last edited by MysticN9ne; 2019-09-27 at 05:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Raine listens intently to Inquisitor Hassan's speech, his faithful, patriotic words filling her with pride. As he describes the future he desires for the group, she finds herself eager to embark on this holy journey the Emperor has laid before her - as for the first time she now has the confirmation that her service to Inquisitor Hassan will be a protracted one, rather than the first of many brief, one-time assignments, and she finds herself eager to embrace her role in the Inquisition; it will only serve to make her a more capable and dangerous holy warrior for the Adepta Sororitas and the Imperium of Man, and bring her closer to proving her worth. It is a very rare moment that one sees the Emperor's plans unfolding before their eyes, but if moments such as these do, in fact, grace the lives of those in service to His holy plan, surely now must be one of these moments. Though she tenses up slightly at the mention of Black Ships -a subtle, quiet, but not totally unexpressed action only noticeable to those who happen to be paying attention to her at the moment, and after briefly eyeing Icharus, surprised at the revelation, she quickly dismisses her tension so as to relax any tell she might have. This is not the time for suspicions and judgments. Surely, the Inquisitor would not have brought this man here if he were any threat to the Imperium.

Ave Imperialis, Inquisitor. We are all agents of the Emporor's Will.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lourn stares blankly into the provided data slate, memorizing the details provided to him. His brown eyes scan back and forth rapidly. At the inquisitor's impassioned speech, and the Sororitas' intonement, he speaks in kind in an even, measured tone.
    "At the end of the day, we don't ask why we serve. Only how. Do any of the assembled have any more questions for the inquisitor? Or should we begin to prepare for this mission? For the moment, I believe I am ready to proceed."
    Last edited by IanMan; 2019-09-28 at 07:51 PM.
    Playing Lourn

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Honeyed and poisoned words. No clear answers, weak appeals and that condescending ****ing tone. And how some of them love it.

Icharus' smile never drops. His demeanor never waivers. He almost seems pleased.
    What a serpent. Ha! I have got my answers you monster. I see the broken men and women you've left in your wake, I see those you've betrayed, and I hear the plaintive wails of those you've abandoned for your own ambition.
    You think you're the first group I have assembled from out of nothing?
    We are also not the first you've left rotting in some gutter filled with stubber rounds.

It is at this point Icharus decides he likes the Inquisitor.

He's got his protocol down though. He knows not to tell us more than we need to know, even if it engenders sympathy or loyalty. That way when we get captured he still holds the cards, or if we decided to act opposed to him we have no idea what we are dealing with. He won't even tell us if he sent his men in disguise, I wonder if his name even truly is Bayek Hassan.

This kind of man I can understand, and if I can understand him I might even start to humor him. He will use us just as long as we are useful. So we will be useful. He's only made a few mistakes so far.

Icharus laughs again, a hearty and heartfelt sound. His expression warms, and he gestures to those at the table.

I am sure the others will agree with me that we only needed a spark of adventure to rouse us to action! Say when we start and we will rise to your expectations, my lord!

I need to learn from this man, who puts his own needs before those of his Emperor. He knows my crimes and keeps me from the journey to Terra, to become sanctioned or to be made a sacrifice for He on the Throne. This man who pretends he has ever aspect planned out, and tries to pretend as if fate exists and that he has woven our stories into its tapestries. Throne, he might have even put a plant or two in this very group, he does keep looking at that Hiver and I.

Icharus glances to the others and catches Sister Raine's expression of surprised glance at the mention of the Black Ships and winces internally.

Fantastic, now the witch-burner knows I am a witch.

Awareness check for others observing Icharus in the room.[roll0]
    Playing Icharus Burns

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tem View Post
    I am sure the others will agree with me that we only needed a spark of adventure to rouse us to action! Say when we start and we will rise to your expectations, my lord!
    Not even that spark is needed, dear Icharus, for as servants of His Holy Will we are all in action at all times. We need only know where to concentrate the manifest efforts of our faith. Keeping her vaneer of stoicism intact, she watches Icharus intently to analyze his response, but does not pause or break her speech. But I do appreciate your zeal and I understand and take your meaning well.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Calad brushes his hair backward, before positioning his fist under his cheek and and elbow upon the table. He eyes those at the table, besides our dear Inquisitor, in an almost exasperated fashion.

"If we have the information that we require, then let us get on with all of this. I am certain that if we leverage our collective abilities we can achieve many things, as our Inquisitor's investment attests.

Lourn, what jumps out in your mind so far from your quick reading? Any ways that we could approach the situation in a timely manner?"

He begins looking between the Sororitas and, from the Inquisitor's implication, the Psyker. Rubbing his eyes, he sits up again and looks towards the ceiling.

The sooner this is done, the better. Either the mission is completed and the bond grows or the issue resolves itself.
    Playing Calad Esteban Rozario Machentritus III

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lourn drinks in the comment about Icharus. For now he casts it aside.

We'll sort out what we're capable of later. Hassan wouldn't have nabbed him if he wasn't useful.

He runs a hand across his face a few times and rubs his eyes as he speaks. He thinks back to dozens of odd jobs... Break into this place. Steal this. Kill that person. Leave without a trace...

Not sure why you're asking me...but why not...maybe i get this done my way.

Hm. I've a few ideas as to ways we could try and infiltrate the ship, which may be better informed after reviewing the schematics in detail. But as before, my preference is to board quietly, ascertain the identity and location of item in question, and make our departure with minimal to no disruption to the ship's functions. We'll want cover identities, maybe ship transfers or some such, and some way to signal for pickup when we're ready.

He turns to regard the inquisitor, the provided datapad in hand.

Inquisitor Hassan, shall we continue planning here, or is there a more suitable location you're prefer the team to use? I don't want to intrude on your time.
    Playing Lourn

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hassan stands up.

"This room is yours, Master Lourn. As this is your first time together as a group, I will grant you the space and one hour to come up with whatever plan of action you can agree upon. Guards will be situated just outside the door; once you have come to a consensus, alert them and they will summon me back."

The Inquisitor walks towards the door and it slides open. He makes a beckoning gesture and one of the guards who had departed earlier strolls back into the room with a pitcher of water and five glasses. The refreshments are set on the table and the slightly confused-looking guard steps back out of the chamber.

Hassan looks over each person seated at the table for a long moment, then bows his head in a show of respect.

"Good luck."

With those words, the Inquisitor exits the room and the doors slide shut once more.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Almost before the door clicks shut, Ferrmi looks over at Lourn, reaching a black gloved hand across the table.
    A plan without supporting information is like a structure without a foundation. Let me take a look at that dataslate. I would like not to jump into all of this blindly.
    Last edited by Lordy; 2019-09-30 at 08:19 PM.
    Eckleman Ferrmi

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

It would seem to me prudent for us all to have a moment to familiarize ourselves with the Inquisitor's data. She closes her dataslate and reattaches it to her hip, satisfied that she is not authorized to retain a copy of the Inquisitor's records. As to your proposed plan of action, Lourn, a Sister will never conceal her identity, unless espionage is her area of expertise, which mine is not. Sisters carry a great deal of weight when it comes to making demands in the name of the Sororitas, the Ministorum, and the Ecclesiarchy at large. I can very easily simply board the ship and demand search and seizure of the black box. The captain will either comply or very likely mark himself as a heretical dissident and risk the full retribution of the Ecclisiarchy, and any other insurgent element, covert or overt, would likewise be forced to light regardless of the captain's cooperation. Withholding it would be very unwise indeed. No Imperial citizen in their right mind will refuse a Sister without red tape or clearnace or some other administrative foxhole to hide in.* I suspect, however that the Inquisition carries similar authority, and that the situation is likewise somehow not this sinple, or else Inquisitor Hassan would simply have sent a representative to collect the black box, or else requested another Inquisitor do him a favor to retain his anonymity. Let us also remember that this may very well simply be a test of worth in itself, and Inquisitor Hassan wishes us to knowingly or unknowingly prove our compitences before trusting us with more delicate matters. To this end, we should each play to our strengths, and not a single one of us should capitulate our tactics to the strengths of another in the group. Therefore, it is best for me to board the ship in my full, unadulterated Sororitas regalia, and attempt to locate and acquire the black box by the authority of the Ecclesiarchy. If there is a dissident element aboard the ship, this will send them into a panic. Lourn, if your talents are indeed in covert operations, this will leave you well-positioned to intercept the black box under whatever guise or falsehood you deem appropriate as they attempt to evade the scrutiny of the Church. Gentlemen, the rest of you can likewise close in on the black box according to your own strengths and talents.

Spoiler: *Rulebook Reference
    Show
    I'm not making this up. It's not explicitly stated in a named rule or mechanic, but Enemies Within pretty explicitly states that the authority of Sisters is almost never questioned:

(Page 30): "Those citizens outside the Adeptus Ministorum who have dealings with any Sister know that she is an extension of her Order, of the larger Adepta Sororitas, and of the Ecclesiarchy as a whole. This gives even a lone Sister the ability to achieve much, for her authority to act in the Emperorís holy interest is almost never questioned, lest recalcitrance be perceived as heresy. Because no obstacle must be allowed to impede this holy mission, even those citizens within the Ecclesiarchy itself defer to the requests of a Sister. If she requires access to an otherwise off-limits holy tome, or if she demands answers from a Cardinal, she will not be denied."

(Page 31): "The unquestioned access and deference to the power of the Adepta Sororitas grants Sisters of all Orders, be they actual power-armoured battle maidens or not, the ability to accomplish much that others cannot."

Obviously it's not going to be that easy or else there would be no plot, lol! But it does give us something to go off of.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

"Let us sit back and consider before coming to any kind of conclusion regarding what the captain or the crew of our target will do in reaction to an emissary of our glorious Ecclesiarchy coming aboard. Coming in and asking for our quarry may very well be the route that works most in our favor, but such a thing should at least be planned beforehand. Measure thrice and cut once as they say. Perhaps those of us that lack such necessities of our rank can mingle among the crew of the Kingmaker beforehand, gather information, and then perform such a show with our good Sister at the front of the stage.

If the crew and culture of the ship allows such a tactic to work, then we achieve our means effectively and efficiently. If that is not the case, then we reconsider and approach otherwise. Going into such a situation all at once is more likely to do us a disservice than aid us, regardless of our individual strengths and how they may be leveraged. Let us not get stuck in the weeds of pre-defining our strategy until more details have surfaced, either from the Inquisitor's own data or whatever information we gain throughout the operation, as I am sure Ferrmi and Lourn would agree.

Can someone please bring up a map of the ship so that we may begin getting an idea of where our quarry may be? From there, we may at least begin pinpointing where the black box may be, if it is on the ship at all. If we're lucky, it will be among other items of interest in a priority cargo hold."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
    Almost before the door clicks shut, Ferrmi looks over at Lourn, reaching a black gloved hand across the table.
    A plan without supporting information is like a structure without a foundation. Let me take a look at that dataslate. I would like not to jump into all of this blindly.
    Lourn slides the dataslate with a slight scratching sound across the table to Ferrmi, and takes a glass of water, drinking it greedily in a few few gulps.
    Knock yourself out. No reason to withhold the information from you.

He taps a few buttons on the dataslate, setting it to 'display' protocol, and the data and maps for the ships are displayed publicly for the group to review at their leisure.

Dataslate Info
    Confidential Informant: Blackraven
    Note: Do not attempt to communicate nor engage with codename Blackraven. Attempts at either may jeopardize Blackraven's position aboard the vessel.

Vessel Alpha: Factorum Rex (Kingmaker)
    In Service With: Civilian
    Class: Retrofitted civilian cargo hauler
    Captain: Siobhan o Caeallaigh (Joanna Kelly)
    Crew Complement: Unknown, believed to be between 100,000 and 200,000 personnel

Vessel Bravo: (Drekihammar) Dragon's Hammer
    Class: REDACTED
    In Service With: REDACTED
    Captain: REDACTED
    Crew Complement: REDACTED
    -Included in the information regarding the Kingmaker is a series of partially completed maps. The ship looks to be a total mess with no real rhyme nor reason to its layout. However, the maps may come in handy if used by a trained eye.

He regards the Sister's misgivings and confidence with a twisted mouth, not seemingly pleased, nor upset with the development, the wheels of his mind spinning and turning at full speed. Calad's follow up comment seems to confirm what he was thinking as well.

That could certainly work. Sister Ravidia, if you are not going to conceal your colors, very well then, we won't ask you again. But having one hand in a mark's face, while they pay no attention to what the other hand is doing is the cornerstone of most misdirection and could serve us here.
    Does anyone know anything about ship design? I have to imagine this quarry would be wherever technology is kept to unlock its secrets, or in storage if they do not know what it is they have yet.
    Playing Lourn

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Master Calad, you speak well and wisely, though I never intended to go in blind. Thorough planning is a necessity in any operation.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Icharus take the offered water from the guard with a deep nod.

We are all talking around the same point. It is obvious we need more information, and that some of us-
    Icharus points to Calad and Lourn.
    have more experience in information gathering than the rest. When I was on campaign, we used those who knew the local customs and the lowest of peasants as informants. They were always better than those trained in the guilds, as even the lowest hound can sniff out those who reek of self-confidence.

He turn to address Sister Ravidia and Eckleman Ferrmi.
    Now correct me if I am wrong, but at least a few of you mistook me as a noble? I believe I have a plan already.

We send in Master Lourn and Master Calad as forward scouts, they can pin down either our target or those who may have more information. Meanwhile, the Menes tracks all vessels attempting to depart the Factorum Rex. After hearing from our forward team, the rest of our party can board the vessel as potential clients. This way Sister Ravidia and Master Fermi may bring on full armament as bodyguards of my "noble" self. Based on the intelligence provided by the first team, we can either cause a distraction so the black box may be stolen- or traded for, or reconvene and come up with a new plan.

Icharus reaches for and re-attaches his sallet helm, scars and disconcerting smiles disappearing under the mask of polished metal. His voices becomes slightly more harsh coming from beneath the metal of the helm.

Or if the worst should come to pass, we can find out where the ship has been from their travel logs- and find our Driekhammer.
    Playing Icharus Burns

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Calad nods in approval towards the Sister and the Knight.

I am glad to see that we're beginning to read from the same script. There is potential in such a plan, although we must provide proper documentation to mark you as a noble, or emissaries of such. That will be easy enough for me to provide. Also, please, no need for the pleasantries of "master." "Calad" suffices. We're all equals here.

At this point, Calad opens his coat and begins fishing for an item within, producing a small cube with gold and silver inlays as well as a small slip of paper. The small trinket is smooth on five sides, with an ornate face on the sixth. Placing the sigil against the palm of his left hand, he presses down upon it and winces as he draws blood through the use of a small needle that reveals itself as he depresses opposite face. Satisfied that this will be enough, he lifts the now wet trinket and presses it against the piece of paper. Grabbing an autoquill from his pocket, he scribbles his name besides the fresh stamp and slides it over to Icharus.

You may either go aboard using my name or otherwise act as an agent of the house with its authority. I'm sure either option will suffice accordingly. Perhaps come up with some kind of story about a long lost ancestor who served aboard the Drekihammer and a desire for filling in the pages of the family archive. Dangle the idea of a noble house giving them a favor or some profit coming their way and they'll most likely oblige. There is also the option of simply absconding away with the data during negotiations on price.

Granted, this is only if we decide to go forth with such a plan. Any other opinions?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

This plan sounds effective. We should seek to establish a base of operations on the vessel as soon as possible. With the whereabouts of the black box unknown, it may take awhile to track down.
    Eckleman studies the dataslate again for a moment.
    Should subterfuge fail we will need a secondary plan we can enact quickly. Either we cow the vessel's captain, or take the bridge through violence. Which do you all think is a more feasible option?
    Eckleman Ferrmi

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Raine watches Calad stamp his familial sigil with his own blood, impressed. Her eyes flash wider for a brief moment, relaxing as he completes the action. She regards him in new light for a moment before addressing the group.

I concur with Icharus' proposed plan. It makes the most sense of any plan put forth thus far. Regarding a contingency plan, Ferrmi, I, perhaps ironically, prefer the nonviolent option in this case, for the specific reason that leveraging my station may allow us to avoid resorting to base intimidation, and expedite the realization of our ends. Seizure of the ship makes for a good secondary contingency, or our tertiary option to put it another way. But there is one other matter which we must all be made aware of, for our safety as well as the security of the mission plan.

She turns her attention to the now conspicuously and inexplicably fully armored witch, slowly enough to betray her discomfort. To "serve" an impostor noble is one thing, perhaps even palatable, for sisters find themselves in the service of nobility quite regularly in their service to the Emperor. Indeed, many of her immediate compatriots and bonded friends may be doing so this very moment to prove their worth. But to serve a witch? Even as a rouse, that is a profane indignity. She sets aside her discomfort. All in the Emperor's glorious name.

What is the nature of your witchcraft? If I am to perform as your charge or... servant... I must know, as must we all, that your... abilities will be kept in check, and what to expect if you fail to keep yourself restrained. Nothing, short of nothing, will betray our rouse faster than it coming to be perceived that a holy Sister is serving beneath a witch. This perception would raise questions we will not be able to answer adequately to quell suspicion. It may even betray the rouse outright. Additionally, where do your mundane talents lie? What experience do you hold? These things I must know to play my part faithfully.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Metal gleams in the harsh light of the room. The smell of wood smoke and holy incense against the background smell of the ship. Icharus sits there for a long second before answering. Though not clear under his helmet, the white flash of teeth appears through several breathing slits.

What gave me away? Was it my horns? My necklaces of frogs? Or was it the new master treating other people's secrets like shiny baubles to show off at a party?

He turns to Raine. His tone drops the humor and he spreads his arms.

Forgive me, Sister Ravidia. I shall answer you. I consciously put out twos candles, three weeks ago after I sustained some head trauma. Thats It. I have no wish to pursue this curse further. Not without the Emperors permission, but someone-he jerks his head at the now vacant throne- had other plans.

The sarcasm comes back a little.

Other than that I am just a backwater brute. I have been in small wars where horse and catapults won the day, and later I served the by repairing some war machines for the Adeptus Mechanicus. Other than that I don't know why I was brought along, maybe for my ability to put people at ease.

Icharus picks up the signed writ from Calad.

I shall be an envoy of your house, Mast-... Calad. The same kind that doubtless gets less attention than a House Lord, but still enough to cause problems if ignored. As for an escape plan, I think we can all agree a ship of 100 to 200 thousand souls would be a better place to hide than fight as only five.
    If our ruse is discovered we could try to either steal the ships flight data or capture a officer who knows something. We could have a small second team as reinforcements. If the necessity arises we could even try to escape via the ships ongoing salvage operation, either in a smaller craft recovering salvage or even as a life pod amidst the debris.

Who knows? We will most likely abandon some of the plans we are making here as soon as we get on board. We need eyes and ears. We can work out our cover stories though, if that part of the plan still appeals to all.
    Playing Icharus Burns

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Raine stares blankly at the witch, unmoved by his plea of victimhood.

Do not make light of the daemonic scourge, Icharus. There are savage, profane beasts hiding beyond the veil that would fill you with dread and horror beyond what any witchcraft or persecution or tragic campaign can threaten to. Rest assured if you had, or were to sprout horns, I would obliterate you from the face of the Materium without hesitation and with extreme prejudice, as I and my beloved sisters-at-arms did the last time a base fiend violated the sanctity of the holy material realm. Her voice trembling slightly, she absentmindedly clutches at her chest, though nothing is there atop the armored bodyglove her fingers trace across. The personification of truest evil is NO laughing matter.

She gathers herself for a moment, then addresses the group. As for my "cover story" if you will, it will be identical to my genuine history. I believe Lourn will agree that the greatest lies are those that most closely resemble the truth. Rather than finding myself in the service of the Inquisition, I will simply claim to find myself in the service of House Machentritus. I would advise that committing ourselves collectively to as few lies as possible will ensure the greatest chance of success in selling the authenticity of the ones we do tell. Remember that we must all commit to each of our lies, so that we do not "give up the jig" as it were by providing inconsistent information about our colleagues. Finally as for an escape plan, I do not believe that any single plan will be an actionable one until we are on-site and can assess our options, though the possibilities suggested thusfar are good ones to consider. To this end, we should acquire basic communication devices so that we can compose an extraction plan in-mission. Micro-beads should suffice for our needs.

She leans back in her chair, awaiting further discussion.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Ferrmi nods vigorously at the Sister's suggestion, seemingly oblivious to the tense conversation at hand.
    An excellent idea Sister Raine, microbeads would be a good start to the gear we will need for this mission. In fact, we will want to think about other pieces of gear we might want to have before we set foot on the base.
    He stiffly gestures at the guard standing at the door to come closer.
    Could you inform the Inquisitor that we have concluded our planning process?
    Eckleman Ferrmi

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Icharus Burns nods once in agreement.
    Playing Icharus Burns

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lourn nods.

Yeah. Microbeads. Good call. I still need to get my hands on a weapon here at some point. I can only assume we're dropping by the armory before we leave. Is anyone here trained in the medical arts if this all goes sideways? Once we get there, we should probably designate some kind of rally point, and some kind of code word for distress over the beads.
    Playing Lourn

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Smiling somewhat as the table begins to cool, Calad claps his hands together.

"Then I suppose we have come to some kind of agreement as to our plan. Yes, Microbeads are a must, as I would say some other essential tools. Perhaps an Auspex, if anyone here can use such a thing. I would recommend having more close to mid-range options in your repertoire if combat should break out. Fighting on ships makes you appreciate just how much a sight line can save your life. Ah, and perhaps have a good amount of Thrones or supplies on hand to persuade others in our favor. At the very least we have a direction to go off of at the moment, now we need only grab our materials and place boots in the trenches.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The doors open once more and Hassan steps into the chamber, this time accompanied by a tall, pale, hunched-over man with a mane of unkempt white hair and his long, spindly fingers clutching a data slate. He is dressed in similar clothes to the security guards, but lacking any armor and seemingly several sizes too large for his lanky frame. The tall man's eyes are ice blue and wild, darting across the room, soaking in the five strangers before him.

"Meet Quartermaster Bartemius, my lords and lady," Hassan says, "He shall be assisting us this afternoon. He keeps precise records of anything and everything we keep in stock aboard the Menes and shall be your point of contact for requisitions. Understand that other than me, he has the utmost authority on board this vessel in terms of what you may and may not remove from our stores."

Bartemius mumbles something that may be a salutation, his eyes bouncing between his data slate and the group. It would appear that he is taking careful inventory of weapons, armor, and other matter of gear arrayed in front of him as he furiously types away.

Hassan takes his place at the head of the table and folds his hands once more.

"I understand that you have come to a consensus?" he inquires.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Upon the Inquisitor's entry, Raine sits straight-backed and forward in her chair, attentive in the presence of her commanding officer, but says nothing as not to dominate the group.
    Sister Raine Ravidia

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As far as we can go with this amount of intelligence Lord Hassan. I agree with the pale man over there.
    Indicating either Lourn or Calad, as gesture is broad.

Let us arm for war, and hope it never comes.
    The expression seems to be a plea and an old affirmation at the same time. As if war was something that happened on the same frequency as Mondays at an Adminstratum office.
    Playing Icharus Burns

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

"Yes. Lourn and I will go aboard the Kingmaker and mingle among the crew, gathering information and learning more about the ship. Choose some spaces by which we could conduct ourselves and hold meetings appropriate to our goal.

The others will board the ship as emissaries of my house, seeking the item to fill in some holes regarding the fate of a long lost ancestor. There there, we may either purchase it legitimately or otherwise acquire it. Of course, if anyone asks how we may have known about it, nobility has their ways of finding such things out and acting upon the opportunities that present them.

If things go south, Emperor forbid, we can fade within the bowels of the ship and then leave appropriately.

In all, it is a rather scare plan, but it is an approach that will allow us the ability to acquire more information and pivot accordingly."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hassan listens silently as Calad lays out the details of the group's plan, motionless, his face betraying no signs of approval nor doubt. When Calad finishes, he turns to Bartemius.

"I sign off on this plan, Quartermaster," he says formally, "And grant these five individuals access to our stores. Level one access only, if you please."

"They will require at least two shuttles," Bartemius replies. His voice is as thin as his frame, his words rushed as if he wished to be doing anything other than speaking aloud. "Five sets of micro beads...probably doable. Will the Inquisitor's cadre be requiring any other items? I'd prefer to not have a protracted back-and-forth when this can all be done in one fell swoop." The wiry quartermaster slides his data slate to Calad. "Please enter what you wish to acquire and pass it along to the next person. I would suggest that you add a vox caster to your list, as this ship will not remain in micro bead receiving range for the duration of your mission."

Hassan turns to the party. "So you have your methods of entry and the makings of a plan. One shuttle shall depart with Masters Lourn and Calad. The Menes will stay out of sensor range to preserve the illusion that you are not members of the Inquisition. Once contact has been established and you have more information to work with, report back to me and the rest of your party will be sent over as well. Are we in agreement?"

Spoiler: All Players
    Show
    Figure out what you all would like to acquire for this mission and make requisition tests for each item. You won't be able to get any additional gear from the Menes once you leave, so keep that in mind.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Eckleman grabs the dataslate from the table. Agreed Inquisitor. Allow me to add a few items we might need on the station. If we are to arrive combat ready, there are a few essentials we must bring.
    After quickly jotting down his list, he lays it back out on the table for another to use.
    Eckleman Ferrmi