The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Carrion Crown: Now with new GM!

Closed To New Intrest

Our old GM disappeared, so I'll be taking over. For simplicity's sake, I have marked any changes I made to the OP in green. If anyone's still interested, I would like to set a pretty hard deadline of September 25, but I'll give people an extra day or two if needed. I would like to get fully started by October 1st, if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeming View Post
    All good things come to an end. That includes the life of Professor Petros Lorrimor, a truly amazing man who you had the good fortune to meet- even if it was only once or twice. Weather or not you were deeply saddened by his death, you have been invited to his funeral in the small town of Ravengro by his daughter Kendra. A deep unsettlement has come to rest over the town, and the usually insular villagers are even less trusting of outsiders than usual. Strange requests litter the Professor's will, and stranger events begin happening all over town. Soon enough, the strange newcomers may be the only people that can save this town from it's own history.

Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Hi, I'm PhyrexianShovel, and I'm pretty new to these forums, having lurked here for a while. I had been interested in playing or GMing an Adventure Path since I found out about them, as fully-written campaigns seem really cool. A little backstory on my RPG history: I started playing D&D about 5 years ago, with 4e. I then played a brief 1e one-shot about 3 years ago, and decided I wanted to try DM/GMing. I started my own 4e campaign, which lasted 2 years before it ended. After learning Pathfinder 1e a little over a year ago, I got really interested in the system. About 1 month ago, I started my first PF1 campaign in person. As I'm new to PF, I would appreciate if I had experienced players in my group who could tell me if I'm screwing up. Also, I try to be very open to feedback from my players, so if you think that anything could be better, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll try to find a way to make that happen.

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    Spoiler: Big 16
    Hide
    1. What game system are you running?

First edition Pathfinder in all it's glory.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be?

This will be a horror game, with a deep focus on character development and the individual and intertwined stories of all the people in this series of events. (Note: I'm not very good at encouraging this, so I would like my players to be patient with me on this, and make an effort to be proactive about developing their own character.)

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

5 players, everyone who isn't accepted will be kept as an alt.

4. What's the gaming medium?

Right here on this forum!

5. What is the characters' starting status?

Level One.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard WBL.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

All paizo content, except for psonic classes. Prestige classes are allowed. I would prefer core content, as that's the books I own. Do what you will, though.
    Edit: OK, the exact books I own (since I confused a lot of people with my original wording) are: Core Rulebook, APG, ARG, ACG, UC, GMG, and Bestiary.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Core, Featured, and Uncommon races.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

We shall use a 20pb, and hit points will be full at first level, and average or rolling from then on.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Any alignment, but be prepared to work together with a wide array of people and creatures that each have their own moral views.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

I'm okay with multi-classing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

We'll be using the forum roller, and you will make your own rolls. I may roll hidden perception checks and saves.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Everyone gets 2 traits or 3 with a drawback, one trait must be a campaign trait.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular?

Yes, you need a character background. This is going to be a game where the character's own interests and motives will feature heavily, and your background will help me to develop plots centered around your character. Remember that you probably haven't accomplished too much as a level one, and that at some point in the past you met Lorrimor.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A fair amount of all, with the actions of the players determining what happens.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

First party stuff is allowed, with the exception of psonics, and leadership.

Building Your Character:
    A lot of the info is in the big 16, but I will put things that I forgot to add right here. For background skills, I'll allow you to use them, but I would rather you didn't.
    If I need you let me know you're still interested, I'll mark your name in green.
    Player Character Race & Class Finished?
    Zero Prime Augustin Mikhail Luna (Backstory) Human Barbarian Yes
    u-b Ebert Malkovich Human Unchained Summoner Yes
    rs2excelsior Tobias Finch (Backstory) Human Investigator Yes
    ChaoticHarmony Warren Holite Aasimar Paladin Yes
    Bapsplingo Milly Ver-Shadeh Aasimar Spiritualist Yes
    ylvathrall Kara al-Shirin Dhampir Sorcerer Yes
    Syless Kuzit Anav and Aktathk Kobold Druid Yes
    BramsesII Maronne Greenleaf (Backstory) Halfling Bard Yes
    Ionbound Julia Meyer Human Magus Yes
    Cat'sPyjamas Tafani Cezrax Human Rogue Yes
    Thunder999 Rimiard Istok Human Inquisitor Yes
    infomatic Fatima Eisen Human Alchemist Yes
    Shub-Niggurath Graves Duskwalker Gunslinger Crunch
    Morbis Meh Lily Jenkins Halfling Oracle Crunch
    The Hellbug Ylenia Estrada Human Rogue Yes
    If your character isn't done or your name's in green, I'll PM you tomorrow (Zhentarim, I don't have a sheet for you yet, so you probably should make one soon if you want to be involved).
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-26 at 07:49 AM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: Now with new GM!

I'm still interested!

3. - Top - End - #3

I'm certainly still interested, I'll make the changes to my submission and re-post his sheet here a little later this afternoon.

Thanks for taking on the responsibility for the game Phyrexian, and picking up where the other game dropped off.

4. - Top - End - #4

BarbarianGuy

Yes I am still interested 😀
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2019-09-22 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I am interested still!

You mention that you prefer core content since thatís the only book you have. Most other Pathfinder content is available on d20pfsrd.com (if you werenít already aware of that). Since I do have one of those non-core classes, Iíll be happy to answer and questions you have about the mechanics of my character.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Certainly still interested. You said you prefer core, does that apply to races as well? Because being a dhampir is kind of central to Kara's character.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Let's give it a try; I'm still in.
    Coach, owner, manager, and gentleman of Hellbug's Heroes, GITP Blood Bowl Season II and III Cup Runners Up.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Please edit into your Big 16 whether background skills are in or out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Definitely still interested.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Aargh, I'm such an idiot. I got mixed up a bit with my 4e stuff and assumed that the other books I have are core too. I'll just edit the OP to show all the books I actually have. Sorry to everyone for the inconvenience.
    Edit: Oh yeah, I'm aware of the SRD, I just much prefer having things in my hand. Thanks anyway!
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-22 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm still interested as well. Will take the time to revise my character according to the new big 16 soon.
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really quite confused by your comment re: background skills, PhyrexianShovel. You say you would prefer they not be used, does that mean you're weighting submissions by that or...? I'm sorry to be such a pain on this, this is like the fourth time I've asked between two GMs, but I'd really like an Artistry skill on Kara, and sorcerer skill ranks are painful.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Definitely still interested, though I'll tweak my alchemist a bit to give her some more healing potential. Interested particularly in working in Sacrament Alchemist (for Pharasma, most likely, though she might have problems with summoning ectoplasmic goo creatures; will have to read more on her outlook)
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    ó The Dragon, to Grendel

14. - Top - End - #14

I think if they're not being used it would mean any submissions shouldn't be using Backgrounds skills, or any submission that wants to be accepted, anyways.

So just tweak your build so it adheres to stated character creation rules?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I think if they're not being used it would mean any submissions shouldn't be using Backgrounds skills, or any submission that wants to be accepted, anyways.

So just tweak your build so it adheres to stated character creation rules?
    I mean, I already did, but the stated character creation rules are a bit unclear to me. I'm just asking whether I should give up on the idea or not because I wasn't sure.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ylvathrall View Post
    I'm really quite confused by your comment re: background skills, PhyrexianShovel. You say you would prefer they not be used, does that mean you're weighting submissions by that or...? I'm sorry to be such a pain on this, this is like the fourth time I've asked between two GMs, but I'd really like an Artistry skill on Kara, and sorcerer skill ranks are painful.
    Well, yeah, it may be a point against you, mostly because background skills feel like they're just complexity creep for not much benefit. If you want to use them, you're free to, though.

I also could be convinced to houserule something, if you want. Just tell me what you want for your character and if it's balanced, I'm probably OK with letting you have it (this applies to everyone, by the way).
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-22 at 02:06 PM.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Well, yeah, it may be a point against you, mostly because background skills feel like they're just complexity creep for not much benefit. If you want to use them, you're free to, though.

I also could be convinced to houserule something, if you want. Just tell me what you want for your character and if it's balanced, I'm probably OK with letting you have it (this applies to everyone, by the way).
    What I want can be summarized as: the ability to draw with fire reasonably well and still have enough skill points to put any in any one of knowledge (arcana), spellcraft, or UMD. The reasoning can be summarized as: if I'm the team's arcane caster and I can't reliably do any of those things, then I have a hard time justifying them keeping me around. I already pushed Intelligence to 14, as high as I really can with the point buy, and I still didn't have enough skill points to put one in any of those three skills. Because Artistry (pyrography) and social skills are more important to the character concept. If I don't have a point in Artistry I'm crafting at +2, which isn't really good enough to bother doing - one rank means I can hit DC 15 on a take ten, which is a huge cutoff point.

That's the entirety of why I've been pushing for the subsystem. It's all so that I can put that point into Artistry, of all things.

Edit: I was misremembering and did have enough for one point in knowledge (arcana). The rest of the point stands, though I do want to make clear, I'm fine if the answer is just no.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-09-22 at 02:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Is too late to join?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

What I want can be summarized as: the ability to draw with fire reasonably well and still have enough skill points to put any in any one of knowledge (arcana), spellcraft, or UMD. The reasoning can be summarized as: if I'm the team's arcane caster and I can't reliably do any of those things, then I have a hard time justifying them keeping me around. I already pushed Intelligence to 14, as high as I really can with the point buy, and I still didn't have enough skill points to put one in any of those three skills. Because Artistry (pyrography) and social skills are more important to the character concept. If I don't have a point in Artistry I'm crafting at +2, which isn't really good enough to bother doing - one rank means I can hit DC 15 on a take ten, which is a huge cutoff point.

That's the entirety of why I've been pushing for the subsystem. It's all so that I can put that point into Artistry, of all things.

Edit: I was misremembering and did have enough for one point in knowledge (arcana). The rest of the point stands, though I do want to make clear, I'm fine if the answer is just no.
    If you need a rank in a mostly useless skill to fit your character concept, go ahead and take it (to be clear, I'm saying you can add Artistry to your skill list if you need it, but don't need the rest of the Background skills system). I would like to give you a minor penalty for it, though. Something like -5 gp or something? If you (or anyone else) has a good small drawback to go with this small bonus, tell me and we can use that instead. If anyone else has a similar request, consider it granted, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    Is too late to join?
    No, but I need your character sheet and backstory by September 25.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    If you need a rank in a mostly useless skill to fit your character concept, go ahead and take it (to be clear, I'm saying you can add Artistry to your skill list if you need it, but don't need the rest of the Background skills system). I would like to give you a minor penalty for it, though. Something like -5 gp or something? If you (or anyone else) has a good small drawback to go with this small bonus, tell me and we can use that instead. If anyone else has a similar request, consider it granted, just let me know.

No, but I need your character sheet and backstory by September 25.
    That penalty is fine with me. I'm not sure what other penalty would really be equal to the benefit, honestly.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Posting my changling oracle soon.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Definitely still interested.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

That penalty is fine with me. I'm not sure what other penalty would really be equal to the benefit, honestly.
    Since you're wanting the point pyrography, I'd say something thematically appropriate but pretty minor like a -1 to diplomacy in close quarters due to a slightly off-putting ashen smell, or a -2 to Stealth and opponents within 5 feet get an automatic perception check similar to 3.5 elves and secret doors for the same reason, but both of those seem like the sorts of things characters would prestidigitation away. Maybe dazzled around sources of fire larger than a torch that you didn't create?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryton View Post
    Since you're wanting the point pyrography, I'd say something thematically appropriate but pretty minor like a -1 to diplomacy in close quarters due to a slightly off-putting ashen smell, or a -2 to Stealth and opponents within 5 feet get an automatic perception check similar to 3.5 elves and secret doors for the same reason, but both of those seem like the sorts of things characters would prestidigitation away. Maybe dazzled around sources of fire larger than a torch that you didn't create?
    My problem with all of those is that the penalty shouldn't be larger than the benefit. The benefit is pretty dang small, mechanically. If it's free ranks per level then maybe I could buy a penalty to an useful skill or dazzled, but given that I already have light blindness dazzled is irrelevant and I am not willing to take a diplomacy penalty for it. So.

25. - Top - End - #25

So then RP you are good at Pyrocrafting or whatever, and drop the Background thing? I'm struggling to determine what the big deal is, you're essentially asking to change how one if your abilities looks? Rule of Cool, man. Just say it looks that way and let's not worry about fitting any optional rules in, that require us all to go back and modify skills that we've already selected.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

So then RP you are good at Pyrocrafting or whatever, and drop the Background thing? I'm struggling to determine what the big deal is, you're essentially asking to change how one if your abilities looks? Rule of Cool, man. Just say it looks that way and let's not worry about fitting any optional rules in, that require us all to go back and modify skills that we've already selected.
    It has nothing to do with my abilities? It's an artistry skill. I have no idea what you're talking about with any of this except the last part which is already resolved so...thanks?

It's not something that has anything to do with your character in the first place. Frankly I'm unsure why so many people are getting on me about it, but if it's that much of a problem I can just drop the bonus skill rank the GM agreed to and ditch spellcraft.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Frankly I'm unsure why so many people are getting on me about it, but if it's that much of a problem I can just drop the bonus skill rank the GM agreed to and ditch spellcraft.
    Apologies if it seems like I'm one of the ones getting onto you about it, I rather like the idea and would've put a rank in Profession(Fortune-teller) if I could fit it, but since I've got a couple actual mechanical fortune-telling, I felt it wasn't as much of a hit for me to pass on (and as an Int caster, I've certainly no room to complain about skill points). I was just trying to help come up with something more flavorful than 5gp.

My problem with all of those is that the penalty shouldn't be larger than the benefit. The benefit is pretty dang small, mechanically. If it's free ranks per level then maybe I could buy a penalty to an useful skill or dazzled, but given that I already have light blindness dazzled is irrelevant and I am not willing to take a diplomacy penalty for it. So.
    I definitely understand. Since it's basically strictly an RP thing I'd been assuming it was a point/level thing, which in my mind makes the drawbacks more palatable. I had forgotten about the light blindedness from being dhampir though. I was trying to think if a drawback more in line with the deity-specific requirements for the benefits of the Diefic Obedience, but was coming up blank. Maybe a penalty if you don't use the skill that day? Something like Nethys' Obedience? But then it'd probably just be a chore to remember/look back of the thread to see whether you'd already posted about using the skill that day. Oh well, I tried
    Last edited by Ryton; 2019-09-22 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

28. - Top - End - #28

I read it as Pyromancy (thinking you wanted to modify the way your spells looked), rather than Pyrography (woodburning), however, my point stands. You are asking the GM to implement a Houserule which affects all of our Characters. Rather than put a point into a Skill that isn't likely to come up at all over the course of the game, you can RP/Fluff say you are skilled at it, problem solved, and the whole issue disappears ...

I am unfamiliar enough with Pathfinder itself, that implementing a bunch of House Rules or Optional Rules for something as easily handled as Character Fluff, is a little confusing to me, since I have to go and find those rules, read them, and determine how they affect my character. So I would prefer to skip them where possible so I can play with the rules that I have accessible to me.

I am not trying to get on anyone, I am just voicing my opinion in the hope of keeping the game from becoming needlessly complicated.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I read it as Pyromancy (thinking you wanted to modify the way your spells looked), rather than Pyrography (woodburning), however, my point stands. You are asking the GM to implement a Houserule which affects all of our Characters. Rather than put a point into a Skill that isn't likely to come up at all over the course of the game, you can RP/Fluff say you are skilled at it, problem solved, and the whole issue disappears ...

I am unfamiliar enough with Pathfinder itself, that implementing a bunch of House Rules or Optional Rules for something as easily handled as Character Fluff, is a little confusing to me, since I have to go and find those rules, read them, and determine how they affect my character. So I would prefer to skip them where possible so I can play with the rules that I have accessible to me.

I am not trying to get on anyone, I am just voicing my opinion in the hope of keeping the game from becoming needlessly complicated.
    As I already said, it is not relevant to you in the least, it has already been settled with the GM, and the situation as it has been settled doesn't require you to learn anything. You're making a huge issue and aggressively asking me to stop something that not only isn't a problem now but was never a problem. Also, while I don't normally make an issue of this sort of thing, I do want to say, you don't need to capitalize words at random. It honestly makes your writing hard to read for me.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-09-22 at 11:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

We'll agree to disagree on how bringing in Optional Rules does in fact impact my character, but that's OK. I'm sorry you took offence at me trying to keep the complexity of character building down for someone who is new to the system, it wasn't me attempting tell you how to RP your character, it was me trying to familiarize myself with the Pathfinder Core Rules. /shrug