The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    RED HAND OF DOOM - CHAPTER ONE - SMOKE ON THE WIND

    Spoiler: World Map
    Show


    The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still.

    The town of Drellinís Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. Itís a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood, and the destination you've been heading towards over a month's hard travelling. You could have gotten there quicker by following the Old Dwarf Road, but everyone knows only the foolish or the brave still take that cursed path; both the foolish and the brave hardly ever return.



    As members of the Southlands' premier mercenary/merchant guild, the House of Sharpened Coin, this is just another job of many on the way to becoming full shareholders in the sprawling international operation. Protect the cargo, see that it is delivered safely, report success, and, most importantly, ask no questions. All was routine, down to the blistered feet and sunburned foreheads. Even the stout, dependable horses pulling your wagons have stopped complaining, sweat running runnels through their dusty coats.

    Pick up your asses, Sharpers, I want to be tits deep in ale and the innkeeper's daughter's coinpouch by sundown! Volarine Brix shouts back from the front of the caravan. Your leader and The Entrusted of this expedition, Volarine is a muscular half-orc woman and a Praetor of the House of Sharpened Coin. She readjusts the massive double-bladed greataxe strapped to her broad back as she turns back to examine the way ahead, leading her horse by the nose.

    Her mount neighs, catching a scent on the wind. The wagon teams toss their heads as the scent comes to you as well. Woodsmoke and something...riper riding under it. A dry wind picks up, skirling tiny dust devils rippling your cloaks and forcing you to squint against the airborne grit.

    Spoiler: Trained in Nature, Medicine, or Arcana
    Show
    The rotten egg smell is rare, but unmistakable: sulfur.


    The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. The trees press close against the well-worn but crude trail which wends through a flattened gully. In the near distance, an abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. Youíve passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels wrong. The dust devils settle for a moment and in the brief respite, you catch the glint of mail through the brush on either side of the road. Fierce warriorsótall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and flat, dusky red faces óare lying in wait! They raise bows and draw in unison, bowstrings creaking in the pregnant silence. The sun through the thin, dry trees paints stripes of shadows across the creatures.

    Further back, through the trees, two figures stand by the farmhouse, shading their eyes against the sun. One, dressed in dark red and black leather and wearing a pointed mask, raises a whip above it's head and brings it around in a sharp *crack*. Across the distance, you hear the bark of an order echoing behind the snap of the whip - Graz'dak!

    Spoiler: Speak Goblin?
    Show
    Guard!


    On either side of the path ahead of you, two canine creatures leap into view, ears erect and pointing right at you. Thin curls of smoke rise from their flanks and you catch the hint of sparks jumping from their panting mouths. The other, a hulking figure in armor with two immense swords strapped to his back raises his arm and drops it in the universal martial motion for "Fire!".
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-22 at 01:27 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    INTRO ADMIN AND COMBAT POST

    COMBAT MAP

    We'll be using the attached combat sheet to track most campaign stuff, including combat. Please only move and edit your own character's information.

    For this first round, please do the following:

    1. Place your character anywhere within 2 squares of the wagons.
    2. Roll a Perception Check
    3. Roll an Initiative Check
    4. Make and intro post and/ or describe how your character reacts!
    5. Have fun! :D

    Anyone who fails the Perception check will be surprised by the attacking hobgoblins and then their Initiative score will determine
    when they go in the subsequent round.

    Also, to help us keep track, please post your PC Name and Class at the top of your posts.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-22 at 01:17 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus Lightspeed, Paladin

    Tall, powerfully built man of calm, always focused disposition, Marcus was sort of an enigma among members of the caravan. Keeping more to himself, but always polite and kind to others, talking little but never showing any antipathy towards fellow travelers, not even complaining while following orders. His abovementioned strong physique did not help the matters, creating at least some level of distrust among him. And yet they were expected to trust him in combat alongside them. Marcus was aware how troubling that must be when he yelled towards his commander, Volarine "The one with blades looks like a commanding officer, we can capture him to end this fast!" There was no emotion in his voice, just cold stating of fact. He then proceeded to ride on the road towards the Hobgoblin captain and his warpriest. He saw creatures they put on his way, their hellish reek quickly informing him os their nature. So upon reaching the first one, he did not hesitate and struck it fast.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show

    Move through the road towards the captain.
    Upon reaching the first Hellhoud, following actions
    Attack Action, with an advantage: 1st attack (1d20+2)[22] (1d20+2)[7] dmg (1d10+2)[4] 2nd attack (1d20+2)[10] (1d20+2)[18] dmg (1d10+2)[12]
    Using polearm master as a bonus action (1d20+2)[19] (1d20+2)[3] dmg (1d4+2)[3]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Freya Ragnahild, Bard

    Freya wanted to agree with Volarine's desire. Well, perhaps not necessarily that much ale, but her train of thought was dashed with the appearances of figures in the woods surrounding them. "Eep," she muttered, just before she reached down for her flute. Such creatures were brazen and that bode poorly for the caravan.

    Perception: (1d20+7)[27]
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[20]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Caeldrim "Cael" Sylmaer

    Cael wiped away a bead of sweat from his brow. He agreed with Praetor's sentiment, though mostly he was looking for a bath, and then a glass of wine. He held his hand on the pommel of his blade, currently hoping nobody would be foolish enough to attack right now. He was already drenched enough..

    Cael scrunched his nose as the smell of rotten egg wafted by. Where was that coming from? There shouldn't be any hot springs nearby, what else would reek so strongly of sulfur... Cael loosened the rapier in its sheath, glancing around the road, stiffening as he saw the figures in the woods. "Ambush!" He fumbled with his sword as he was drawing it, just trying to quickly spot all the enemies surrounding them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception: (d20+3)[23]
    Initiative: (d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by Majin; 2019-09-23 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show


    Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Insanity.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Tavi, Rogue Archer

    Tavi's eyes and ears caught the creak of leather and the glint of mail through the trees lining the road, "Ah, a fight?" He cracked his neck and drew his bow, feeling it's magical warning as he brought it to hand. He quickly picked out the masked figure as his first target and studied him, closely seeking out his foe's weak points.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone within 30 feet of me is unable to be surprised unless incapacitated by nonmagical sleep.
    also, this action is just me setting up for an in combat bonus action to do insightful fighting, as it requires a number of rolls before my action on my actual turn takes place.
    Insightful Fighting vs Warpriest: Insight vs Target's Deception: Insight Check: (1d20+9)[22]
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Dagna Karheim, Abjuration Wizard

    Long marches where nothing new for the Dwarven woman. She was former military and had marched more than she had fought. She had taken up position at the end of the caravan, bringing up the rear and keeping her one good eye open. Though she wasn't the most attentive, her thoughts kept drifting, mostly to her siblings. Last town she had send them a letter and some of her last sold. She wondered if it had reached them yet and how they were doing as she hadn't seen them in a long time.

    So lost in her thoughts she noticed the ambush too late.


    Spoiler: note
    Show

    I assume with a 10 I failed the perception check.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Freya Ragnahild, Bard

    Freya squints in the direction of the cracking whip. That creature looks important. although he's partly obscured, it's enough for Freya to aim a spell in that direction. She plucks a few old leaves from a pocket and shouts "Stinkende sky!". A sickly yellow cloud of gas billows forth from the point in front of that creature and expands.

    Spoiler: Casting Stinking Cloud
    Show
    PHB p. 278;

    Spoiler: PHB Entry
    Show
    STINKING CLOUD
    3rd level conjuration
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 90 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a rotten egg or several skunk cabbage leaves)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

    You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of yellow, nauseating gas centered on a point within range. The cloud spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. The cloud lingers in the air for the duration. Each creature that is completely within the cloud at the start of its turn must make a Constitution saving throw against poison. On a failed save, the creature spends its action that turn retching and reeling. Creatures that don't need to breathe air or immune to poison automatically succeed on this saving throw.

    A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the cloud after 4 rounds. A strong wind (at least 20 miles per hour) disperses it after I round.


    Freya puts the origin at the square to the right of the Hob captain "U". That should catch about four targets and (hopefully) force them out of their comfy partial cover.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Noman
    AC:16 HP:44

    Noman sees the hobgoblins appear at the same time most of his teammates see them. As cries of ambush start to go back and forth, Noman hops up the cart for a better shot and quickly scans the ground.

    The priest thought he is very well hidden, didn't he?

    Noman thinks, and smiles a curiously happy smiles.

    "Here we go again"

    With extraordinary speed, Noman picks up his splintering arrow, draws the bow back so far it creakes and releases three times in a blur of motion. He then crouches under cover in the cart.

    Spoiler: OOC Lots of actions
    Show

    Athletics to move on the cart (1d20+4)[13]
    Use bonus action to 'cast' Hail of Thorns as a 2nd level spell.
    Umbral stalker and Natural explorer: First round, advantage against those that have not yet acted and one extra attack
    Using Sharpshooter to negate the cover of the Warpriest
    Three attacks with Sharpshooter feat to Warpriest, if he goes down, switching to Hob Captain.
    Then using the rest of his move to fall under cover within the cart.

    Atk1 (1d20+4)[7] or (1d20+4)[21] Dmg (1d8+18)[23] (+10 dmg Sharpshooter, +2 Fav enemy, +2 bracers of archery)
    Atk2 (1d20+4)[14] or (1d20+4)[15] Dmg (1d8+18)[26]
    Atk3 (1d20+4)[19] or (1d20+4)[16] Dmg (1d8+18)[19]

    Dmg from Hail of Thorns if any atk hits (2d10)[9] Dex save for half.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Insanity.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Tavi, Rogue Archer
    AC:15 HP:33

    "Damn," Tavi thought as the yellow cloud spread out to cover his view of the warpriest. "No matter, I can be patient." Quickly looking around for the best height advantage, he scrambled onto the wagon next to him, and looked out for another target to focus until the warpriest reappeared. Eyes lighting on the other hellhound, he drew his bow and shot an arrow, without taking time to examine his foe for signs of weakness. As soon as the shot left his bow, Tavi dropped to the roof of the wagon to hide himself somewhat from the archers in the trees.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Bonus Action: Earlier insight roll on warpriest.
    Attack vs. Hellhound on right: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Dropping Prone
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Chaos breaks out amid the swirling dust and beating sun.

    A roiling cloud of yellow and brown smoke erupts at Freya's beckoning, a hissing, bubbling sound riding the air as tendrils snake out to choke the hobgoblin leadership.

    Noman the ranger, preternaturally alert and hunting his favourite game, looses three arrows which fly true. They plunge into the cloud, leaving three perfect little cylinders in their wake. In rapid succession, they find their mark, flinging the hobgoblin warpriest backwards. He lands, a syllable of command pinned in his throat before it could be uttered.

    Tavi gets a shot off, but the hellhound is already bearing down on him, leaping off the ridge before he has a chance to line up a clean shot.

    The two massive scaled wolves rush Marcus and Volarine, flames licking their jaws as they pound towards the two lead warriors, eager to burn flesh and bone. In almost perfect unison, the hellhounds - who you now see are wearing iron collars around their necks - release twin gouts of fire. Volarine screams as the flames wreathe her.

    Spoiler: Hellhound
    Show


    In the confusion, the hobgoblin captain ducks into the cover of the trees, moving with an unhurried, confident stride that sends a shiver of anxiety up even your well-experienced spines. These were no mere bandits, no indeed.

    OOC - Marcus, Cael, you're up! Eti, you're surprised this round, sorry!

    Note - The lead wagon is now on fire. The fire will continue to spread on Initiative Count 12, same as the Hellhounds. Tavi, if you don't move, you'll take 2d4 points of fire damage every round.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-26 at 10:39 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus Lightspeed, Paladin

    As the events unfolded, Marcus found himself in a bad position. From a moral standpoint. once he deals with a creature that so foolishly approached him, should he rush towards Volarine and aid her against another? Or pursue the Hobgoblin captain to follow his original plan to finish this quickly? Finally, there was an option to rush towards their burning wagon and save those nearby. But these were questions for later. Now there was an infernal, feral beast in front of him. And he intended to deal with it. Grasping his glaive firmly in both hands from the back of the horse he struck it, unleashing a full barrage of attacks. All to not give it an opportunity to breathe fire again.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show

    Attacking Hellhound in front of Marcus.
    Advantage on attack rolls from Mounted Combatant
    First attack: (1d20+5)[7] (1d20+5)[10] damage (1d10+2)[3]
    Second Attack: (1d20+5)[13] (1d20+5)[10] damage (1d10+2)[9]
    Bonus Action: additional attack from Polearm Master (1d20+5)[11] (1d20+5)[10] damage (1d4+2)[4]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Caeldrim "Cael" Sylmaer
    AC: 21, HP: 27/27, Concentrating on: Haste

    Ceal finally gets his sword out of its sheath. His stance immediately changed, his body relaxing. He then cast a spell on himself, feeling rush of energy enter his body, now just demanding action. Cael quickly sprinted forward, stabbing his blade towards the hellhound the paladin was engaging. "Die you vile, smelly beast!"


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (d20+7)[22]
    Damage: (d8+4)[12]
    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show


    Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus snaps his glaive out in concert with Cael's humming rapier, catching the hellhound with vicious slashes across its flank as it breathes fire down upon them. Just as the flash of the flamebreath clears from their eyes, an arrow flies out of the forest and finds its mark, clanging off of Marcus' armor. Pain erupts in your chest as the armor bounces against your flesh through layers of cloth and padding, a punch of steel that will leave a lasting bruise. [12 and 10 damage on Hellhound and 9 damage from the longbow from a hobgoblin]

    The remaining hobgoblins pick their targets with a practiced, unhurried efficiency, loosing a volley from the surrounding trees towards the Sharpened Coin's caravan. Volarine falls to a knee as an arrow, red-fletched and barbed, slams into her back. Eti fares better, but still feels the sharp bloom of pain as an arrow intended for her forehead instead grazes her temple thanks to her preternatural reflexes. As the arrow grazes her, she spins in place, her hand a blur as she snatches the arrow and flings it back at the archer with a snapping motion. [14 damage on Volarine, 2 on Eti, Eti Deflects Missile back at the Hobgoblin for 9]

    The other arrows embed themselves with *thwacks* in packed dirt or the sides of the wagons. The reverb dies quickly in the thick summer air, but is soon replaced by the creaking of bowstrings as the hobgoblin regulars draw and aim, preparing for their next volley. [Misses]

    OOC - Tavi, Dagna, Freya, and Noman, you're up!
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-28 at 11:25 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Insanity.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Tavi, Rogue Archer
    AC: 15 HP: 33

    "Woah, Time to bail!" Tavi quickly hopped up and off of the wagon, taking a short step forward and once again taking aim at the hellhound, this time using Volarine's actions as a distraction to attack without the Hellhound's full attention bearing on him. Following his shot, he yelled out, "Anyone have some way to protect the cargo from this fire?" before quickly dashing over the embankment and into the trees.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to stand up = 15', Jump down = 5', step forward = 5'
    Shot on Hellhound by Volarine: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage if hits: [roll]1d8+3d6+3[/roll] EDIT FROM OOC: 13 damage
    Bonus action: Dash
    Move 30 ft into trees, if my account is correct, 5 for diagonal, 5 for elevation, 5 for difficult, +5 for lateral move +10 into tree line.
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2019-09-27 at 09:51 AM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Noman
    AC:16 HP:44

    Noman hears the whooshing of the fire and the bowstrings around him, but he does not really focuses on them. His eyes is set on the escaping hobgoblin captain. He will have time to play sniping games with the other hobbies in a minute.

    He stands up and focuses on the retreating captain. Foliage and distance are not a problem for Noman. Focusing his will, he targets the hobgoblin again, making the bow bend as much as it can. In less than five seconds, he lets go of two arrows. He then drops down again.


    Spoiler: OOC Actions and rolls
    Show
    Again using sharpshooter to ignore cover and distance.
    Using bonus action to cast Hunter's mark at 1st level and then uses the move action to stand up, takes the -5 penalty for the extra damage and then falls prone again


    Atk1 (1d20+4)[7] dmg (1d8+18)[25]
    Atk2 (1d20+4)[9] dmg (1d8+18)[22]

    Extra damage from HM (1d6)[2]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Freya Ragnahild, Bard
    [AC 15, HP 38]


    Freya sees the forward wagon on fire. "Bad dog. Very bad dog!" She runs around the wagon she's at to its front and fires a spell at the hell hound engaged with Marcus and Cael. She raises a hand and utters a phrase. Two beams of energy shoot out of her finger tips.

    Spoiler: Spell attack
    Show
    Eldritch Blast, two beams at Hell Hound:

    Attack 1 (1d20+7)[19] (damage (1d10)[4] force
    Attack 2 (1d20+7)[24] (damage (1d10)[3] force



    (maintaining concentration on the Stinking Cloud spell)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Noman

    Seeing his shots go far off the mark, Noman laughs a strange, bitter laugh.

    Not quite there, you dog.

    But the captain is going away, Noman scans the field quickly before getting to cover. Seeing Eti unoccupied, he yells

    "Hey there, Eti Quickfeet! The captain is getting away, can you shut him down. I will provide cover from here."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Dagna Karheim, Abjuration Wizard

    Dagna was pulled out of her daydreaming when suddenly arrows started to rain down on the caravan. One missed her, hitting the wagon next to her the other one harmlessly broke on the head of her warhammer. A dwarven curse on her lips, she took the hammer in both hands and looked for the redskins laying in wait. She spotted one of the archers up the ridge. An arcane word on her lips she vanished and appeared behind the archer, swinging her warhammer at the attacker, it's head resonating with magical energies.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

    Bonus Action: Misty Step up to the Hobgoblin
    Action: Booming Blade + Attacking him with Warhammer

    Hit:(1d20+6)[13]
    Damage Warhammer: (1d8+3)[9] bludgeoning
    Damage BB: (1d8)[2] thunder
    Damage BB if move: (2d8)[9] thunder
    Last edited by Sahe; 2019-09-29 at 11:10 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Tavi's aim is true as he leaps off the burning wagon and sprints into the trees. The arrow slams home directly in the hellhound's chest. It yowls in pain. [Tavi does 13 on the Hellhound on Volarine

    Mere feet away, two bolts of energy tear through the air, rippling with arcane energy. They both slam into the second hellhound snapping at Cael and Marcus who joins its yelps of pain with that of its twin attacking Volarine. [Freya does 7 force damage to the Hellhound on Marcus and Cael

    Noman's two arrows clatter off the intervening trees, his aim thrown off by the dense foliage and the ducking and weaving of the Captain. Dagna disappears into a swirl of mists, reappearing directly in front of one of the hobgoblin archers. He steps back instinctively in shock, the slight movement putting him just out of range of the dwarf's crackling warhammer.

    The hellhounds press their attacks despite their wounds. The first hellhound lunges at Marcus, clamping its burning jaws around the paladin's forearm. Your skin blisters under the assault. Cael and Volarine also suffer another gout of flame as the second hellhound repositions to catch both of them in the spray of flames. Your leader strikes out with her double-bladed axe and catches the hellhound a glancing blow, knocking its head to the side, flaying its scaled skin to the bone. [Hellhound 1 does 17 damage to Marcus and Hellhound 2's Recharged Fire Breath does 11 damage each to Volarine and Cael.]

    The hobgoblin leader presses deeper into the woods and facing away from you, towards the other side of the abandoned barn, he yells out in a guttural, harsh language.

    Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    Reserves, advance! Attack from range!


    OOC - Marcus is at 16/50 and Cael is at 16/27. Volarine is on her last legs.

    Marcus, Eti, and Cael, you're up!
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-09-29 at 02:59 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus forces himself to silence whe na swearword pushes on his lips, as the enemy attacks reach him and the pain soon follows. He knows the pain he feels right now is just a glimpse of what he deserves for his past crimes. but he refuses for it to slow him down. He has no plans of dying, not until he pays back what he owes to the world.

    "Go help Volarine." He tells Cael. "I'll finish this one." And then, disregarding his wounds, not even wasting time to heal but pushing through pain, he strikes the beast again. He is aware of his wounds. He knows he might die. And so as he launches a strike after strike, he prays


    "Oh,The Red Knight
    Oh mighty and wise!
    Grant your servant strength
    to move this foul beast down
    Give me strength beyond the pain
    And let me show that your writh burn stronger than any flame!


    Spoiler: attack rolls
    Show

    Advantage on attack rolls
    Attack Action: First attack (1d20+2)[17] (1d20+2)[7] dmg (1d10+2)[10]
    Second Attack (1d20+2)[20] (1d20+2)[8] dmg (1d10+2)[12]
    Bonus Action attack (1d20+2)[10] (1d20+2)[17] dmg (1d4+2)[5]

    If any of these hits there will be divine smite but I will roll that in OOC

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Caeldrim "Cael" Sylmaer
    AC: 21, HP: 22/27, Concentrating on: Haste

    Cael nods, seeing how the Paladin is battering the beast. "Seems like you have this under control." He darted away to flank the other Hell hound, striking it with quick blows.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (d8+4)[12]

    Attack: (d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (d8+4)[9]

    Bonus damage from Absorb elements if either attack hits: (2d6)[12]
    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show


    Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PeacefulOak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Etienne Gloryflower - Human Shadow Monk

    Chaos had enfolded the caravan with a swiftness that had left Etienne startled and on her heels. The whip-crack of bowstrings had brought her out of it with a furious focus on the foul enemies who dared to attack the group. Moments from surging to rain swift doom upon the archers, Eti is caught short by Noman's call. Uttering a savage curse, she turns and gathers herself, shadows folding around her feet as she focuses and then surges into motion. Sprinting behind the second wagon and up the embankment, she curves left and then right to avoid the bowmen in the woods. She comes to a stop with a planted foot, the other foot swinging around with savage speed at the captain's head. In the same motion her sword comes around at waist level, seeking the fleshy guts of this enemy.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Bonus - Step of the Wind. Between that and Mobile, my Jumps are doubled and I ignore difficult terrain. Dash and move exactly 100', updated my position on the map. I counted the squares, avoiding Attacks of Opportunity unless either of them have reach weapons.

    Attack 1: (1d20+6)[8] to hit for (1d6+3)[9] Kicking damage (bludgeoning)
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[16] to hit for (1d6+3)[9] Sword damage (piercing)

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus' glaive flickers, striking multiple mortal wounds in the hellhound. Steaming blood splashes your face as you barely finish your prayer in the choking sulfur smell of the dying hellhound.

    Cael, taking advantage of the lack of snapping jaws, rushes to help Volarine. Channeling the fire he had absorbed from the hellhound, he pierces the beast with his blade. Though it strikes home, the lack of burning smell and the absence of the *hiss* of burning flesh tells you that you don't think fire will hurt these creatures.

    And though Etienne streaks through the trees it's as if she teleported through shadows, she skids to a halt just off balance. The captain, reacting with uncanny, or long-practiced, agility, parries the blow.

    Marcus obliterates the hellhound engaging him. Cael does 12 damage to the Hellhound on Volarine. Etienne misses both her attacks.

    The House of the Sharpened Coin caravan maintains its composure under the sustained assault of the hobgoblin raiders. Despite the death of the warpriest and one of their shock beasts, the squadron holds firm, takes aim, and lets loose another volley of well-timed attacks, each pair of hobgoblins working as smaller sub-units to cover each other. Well, except for the lone archer still hacking inside of Dagna's Stinking Cloud.

    Spoiler: Characters with a Soldiering Background
    Show
    You recognize that the hobgoblin warriors are working in pairs to designate targets and spread out their attacks, taking advantage of each others' presence.


    Arrows fly through the trees, most blown off course or ending up within the intervening cover. Eti is grazed by one lucky shot, the fletching catching the edge of her ear as she confronts the captain. Dagna feels pain bloom in her back as an arrow catches her from behind as she engages with one of the raiders who has now dropped his bow in favour of a longsword. Volarine fares worst of all, two arrows sailing almost in tandem tracing lazy arcs before slamming home in her side as she desperately tries to put out the flames wreathing her. With a strangled cry she falls to her side where she lies, unmoving.

    Eti takes 5 damage, Dagna takes 12 damage, and Volarine takes 18...

    After loosing their shots, the archers reposition themselves, darting carefully through the trees to keep their targets in sight.

    OOC - Dagna, Freya, Tavi, Noman, you're up!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Freya Ragnahild, Bard
    [AC 15, HP 38]

    Freya points two fingers into the dense woods. "Hold still, hobgob," she mutters before reciting an incantation. Twin beams of force energy leap forth, aimed at the hobgoblin captain. Then, she scoots down closer to Marcus and hums a gentle tune from her lips, soothing his wounds.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half cover gives the Hobgob captain +2 AC I think? Well, let's try anyway!

    Eldritch Blast (two beams) vs. Hobgob captain
    Beam A: (1d20+7)[21] (damage (1d10)[8] force)
    Beam b: (1d20+7)[11] (damage (1d10)[4] force)

    Healing Word (expending 2nd level slot) on Marcus: regain (2d4+4)[9] hit points
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-01 at 05:17 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Noman

    Noman once more gets up, quickly scans the environment and sees that things are not going well. The captain has been engaged but the archers need to go down. He shouts in goblin

    "So, you want to play sniping games, pigsqueaks?"

    He refocuses on the two northern goblins, letting two arrows fly in quick succession before taking cover again.

    Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

    Standing up. Cover does not affect him.

    Refocusing the Mark to the northern Q3 hobgoblin in the east. If the first attack drops him, then targeting the second in T6.

    Atk1 (1d20+9)[13] dmg (1d8+8)[13] and Mark dmg (1d6)[4]

    Atk1 (1d20+9)[25] dmg (1d8+8)[9]

    Falling prone again

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Dagna Karheim, Abjuration Wizard

    The arrow that would've pierced her back was shattered as it hit the arcane energies protecting the Dwarven woman. Undisturbed, she brings her hammer around once more for another swing against her foe.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

    I take the 12 damage to my Arcane Ward (assuming that I started with a fully Charged Arcane Ward?)

    Attack on Hobgoblin: (1d20+6)[23]
    Warhammer Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Booming Blade Damage: (1d8)[3]
    BB Damage if Move: (2d8)[3]


  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Freya's twinned force blasts rip through the trees, one exploding against a trunk sending splinters flying everywhere, but the second punching the captain, leaving a fist-sized dent in his half-plate armor. He grunts in pain. Noman's trades arrows with the archers on the northern rise, one arrow finding its mark and ending the archer's life. Dagna's warhammer slams into the hobgoblin soldier she faces down, a vicious attack that he barely manages to deflect away from a killing blow.

    [Freya hits the Hobgoblin Captain for 8, Noman slays the hobgoblin archer to the northeast, and Dagna does 8 damage to hobgoblin she face, but it still hangs on.]

    The hobgoblin captain whirls on the monk who had chased him down, whipping out a cruel looking longsword which he whirls in a defensive flurry. Two attacks snake out from metal blur, both catching Etienne by surprise with their fury. She tries to dodge or bat them out of the way, but the Captain's practiced and relentless assault is too much for even the experienced brawler as blood sprays from her shredded armor.

    [Etienne takes 20 damage from the Captain]

    Volarine fares little better as the hellhound lunges forward, smelling death in the hot summer air. The Entrusted of the expedition, her armor steaming and her skin blistering from the onslaught of flames she has endured already, cannot muster the strength to parry the beast's attack. Though Cael tries desperately to slow the hellhound's lunge, it ignores him completely and sinks its jaws around the half-orc woman's throat. With a wrenching tear, it crushes and then rips out Volarine Brix's windpipe, her bellow of rage cut off. The hellhound howls at the sun, Volarine's lifeblood boiling from its fiery jaws.

    [Volarine is killed by the hellhound's attack.]

    The lead wagon is now consumed almost entirely by fire, the casks of oil and ale bursting in the heat. Inky black smoke roils upwards into the sky, marking the death of a Praetor of the House of Sharpened Coin.

    OOC - Marcus, Eti, Cael, you're up!
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-10-04 at 09:35 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Caeldrim "Cael" Sylmaer
    AC: 21, HP: 22/27, Concentrating on: Haste

    "No!" Cael cried out as he saw Volarine's blood spill on the ground. "Damned mutt, just keel over already!" The elf resumes his attack on the hound, trying to pierce its skull. He also holds out his hand towards it, trying to tear the wound's the beast had already received wider.

    "Volarine's down!" Cael wasn't sure if she could still be saved, but he himself couldn't help, except by trying to end this battle faster.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Toll the Dead on the hellhound, DC 14 Con save or take (2d12)[16] damage.

    Attack: (d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (d8+4)[8]

    Spoiler: Older avatar
    Show


    Darrik Proudfoot, Kender ranger by Gorgon_Heap

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Atlastrembles' Red Hand of Doom [5E]

    Marcus, still breathing heavily after defeating the first hellhound and taking a short moment to be healed by considerate ally now hears Cael's words. You could not tell it by his face but if you looked deep in his eyes, you could feel the anger that swells inside him, as he turns his horse around and charges the demon. Anger at the beast and at himself for being too slow and too weak to save his commanding officer as he should have. But these are thoughts for later, now his mind focuses only on vengeance upon the creature.

    "You twice cursed beat, I will make you feel the pain you wroght tenfold!" He proclaims as he strikes

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move and once again attacks with advantage:
    Attack action: Attack 1 (1d20+2)[16] (1d20+2)[21] (1d10+2)[5]
    Attack 2 (1d20+2)[16] (1d20+2)[16] (1d10+2)[8]
    Bonus action: attack (1d20+2)[9] (1d20+2)[7] (1d4+2)[3]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •