New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Master Race List; Natural Attacks

Hey folks. I'm looking into doing a series about what races do the best and the worst when it comes to particular stats or features. I'm wanting to start with Natural Attacks. Is that something people would be into? Is that something that would actually be appreciated?

Tell me what you think!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default List of Races

Could you maybe come up with a name for the project that doesn't include the very unfortunate phrase "master race"? That has... implications. How about just "complete list of races" or something?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Master Race List; Natural Attacks

Maybe "master list if races?"

Edit: Or "race master list?"
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2019-09-22 at 03:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: List of Races

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Could you maybe come up with a name for the project that doesn't include the very unfortunate phrase "master race"? That has... implications. How about just "complete list of races" or something?
    Real talk, I came here to throw down regarding PC vs Mac vs Console gaming.

But yeah that other thing too. ;D

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair to Buufreak, that is, in fact, what the most well known resource of LA +0 races is known as: Master +0 LA Race List III http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Hey folks. I'm looking into doing a series about what races do the best and the worst when it comes to particular stats or features. I'm wanting to start with Natural Attacks. Is that something people would be into? Is that something that would actually be appreciated?

Tell me what you think!
    I would be very interested in an organized Master Race List for Natural Attacks. I've found losts of all kinds extremely helpful, but many lists are either outdated or simply lost.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobolds get claws and bite in that one online article, making them surprisingly good natural attackers for a 0 LA race.

I also vote for changing the title...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: List of Races

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Can't say i didn't see this one comming when i entered the thread

That said i highly doupt OP had any ill intent and was probably meant as a joke or didn't conect the dots of the implication.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Master Race List; Natural Attacks

As part of any such list, you could also include the +1 and +2 LA races, from this list: [3.5] LA +1 & LA +2 Player Race List

LA +1
    • Bladeling (claw)
    • Diabolus (tail)
    • Jaebrin (bite)
    • Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk (claws and bite)
    • Wildren (claws)

LA+2
    • Aarakocra (talons and bite)
    • Ixitxachitl (bite)
    • Twig Blight (claws)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Maybe "master list if races?"

Edit: Or "race master list?"
    If these search terms, I would suggest that you attach 3.5 or something similar to it to narrow the results. At this time, both quotes will bring up the link to minmax forum with the listing. However, we are running closer and closer to election year ( don't want to dissolve this into politics. Take that elsewhere. ) and you may get different results in the future if there isn't something in there to 'narrow' the results.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

"Best and Worst Races for X" seems like it would capture the OP's intent. "List of Races" feels way to generic.

I don't know if they're the best but I feel Warforged deserve a special mention because they can do things with their natural weapons that few other races can, like coat them in contact poison and disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "Best and Worst Races for X" seems like it would capture the OP's intent. "List of Races" feels way to generic.

I don't know if they're the best but I feel Warforged deserve a special mention because they can do things with their natural weapons that few other races can, like coat them in contact poison and disease.
    Easy access to doube Slam attacks is enough to warrant a mention. Claws and bites are fairly easy to get, but Slam, let alone two of them natively, is pretty cash money.

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

What's so good about slam attacks?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The races/templates section of this excellent guide may also be of interest: [3.X] Extra attacks, natural attacks, AoO

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    To be fair to Buufreak, that is, in fact, what the most well known resource of LA +0 races is known as: Master +0 LA Race List III http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0
    Absolutely the intent.

In other news, I'm glad to see people generally like the idea, name withheld. And if I can dig deep into it and it actually takes off well enough, I kinda want to do a series. Generally to start this one off (which I'll start a new thread for of course) I want to look into what makes a good natural attack, and which race will give you the most bang for your buck, before and without mention of template, class, or otherwise. Feats that are specific to a single race will get special mention and consideration, but much like RHD and LA, will be viewed as additional cost being paid for the benefits.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    What's so good about slam attacks?
    Nothing in itself - they're just another natural attack. The cash money part is that you get one for free and can easily get another one, and you can then combine them with all other natural attacks. Many natural attacks are limited - you can only (usually) have one bite attack, and you can only usually have two claws. Claws and bites are usually a lot easier to gain, though, whether you're a clawlock or any of the countless races and templates that get some for free.

Slams, though? You don't see that that often, let alone easy access to two of them.

Or maybe I'm wrong and someone will come along to call me a dummy.

And on top of that, they can coat their natural attacks in poisons or just dung for that matter, and there's good argument that they can or should be able to straight-up enchant their unarmednor natural attacks, based on the same logic as the one given for them enchanting their body as armor.
    Last edited by Luckmann; 2019-09-25 at 02:41 AM.