New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Barbarian Monk Multiclass Damage Optimization

So I think there’s been like 3 conflicting sage advice tweets about unarmed attacks but for the sake of this assume that rage damage bonus works with an unarmed attack if you use strength.

So assuming that damage bonus does apply to the unarmed attacks, what multiclass split of barbarian and monk has the most DPR when only considering how hard they’d hit with Extra attack, flurry of blows, and rage already active? Also consider the average number of fights per day to be 4.

I specify only these features because I have a few different subclass combos in mind that I’m torn between so I don’t wanna factor that into this.

17Monk/3Barbarian seemed like the strongest because it would hit for 1d10+2 per strike for an average damage equal to like 7.5 but my dm pointed out you could only enter a rage 1/2 of the time so the rage damage is going to be +1 so more like 6.5 average DPR (again assuming 4 fights per day which is average for our group’s games)

The DM thought 9Barbarian/11monk would be strongest with 1d8+3 damage averaging to the same as 1d10+2 (4.5+3 and 5.5+2 both add up to 7.5), but because level 9 barbarian has 4 rages per day you’d actually be doing like 1 more damage on average because you get that rage bonus every time.

I was wondering if this was actually the best split when considering pure average DPR and if it was what level up order would get you the highest damage at a given level, with the assumption that you start at level 6 with 16 Str, Dex, and Con, have 3 levels in each class to get the subclasses, and assuming the character is gonna put their ASI towards increasing stats.
    Last edited by Meichrob7; 2019-09-25 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Math

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Barbarian Monk Multiclass Damage Optimization

6 barb/14 monk might be worth considering since it hits the sweet spot; rages equal to the number of expected fights, the level 6 subclass ability and diamond soul from the monk.

I don't think it's worth going to barb 9 just for the extra rage damage (unless you go zealot whose damage scales with barb level) since the mid level features are not as interesting.
    Subjectivity is implied in all posts.

Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game. Soren Johnson's Game Design Journal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meichrob7 View Post
    So I think there’s been like 3 conflicting sage advice tweets about unarmed attacks but for the sake of this assume that rage damage bonus works with an unarmed attack if you use strength.

So assuming that damage bonus does apply to the unarmed attacks, what multiclass split of barbarian and monk has the most DPR when only considering how hard they’d hit with Extra attack, flurry of blows, and rage already active? Also consider the average number of fights per day to be 4.

I specify only these features because I have a few different subclass combos in mind that I’m torn between so I don’t wanna factor that into this.

17Monk/3Barbarian seemed like the strongest because it would hit for 1d10+2 per strike for an average damage equal to like 7.5 but my dm pointed out you could only enter a rage 1/2 of the time so the rage damage is going to be +1 so more like 6.5 average DPR (again assuming 4 fights per day which is average for our group’s games)

The DM thought 9Barbarian/11monk would be strongest with 1d8+3 damage averaging to the same as 1d10+2 (4.5+3 and 5.5+2 both add up to 7.5), but because level 9 barbarian has 4 rages per day you’d actually be doing like 1 more damage on average because you get that rage bonus every time.

I was wondering if this was actually the best split when considering pure average DPR and if it was what level up order would get you the highest damage at a given level, with the assumption that you start at level 6 with 16 Str, Dex, and Con, have 3 levels in each class to get the subclasses, and assuming the character is gonna put their ASI towards increasing stats.
    If you're looking at monks, ignore average damage per strike, and look at average damage per round. How long are your group's fights? How often do you take short rests?

What's your Wisdom modifier? If it's decent, I'd make a beeline to Monk 5 from where you're starting, if only because Stunning Strike is very good. If it isn't that great, I'd take your first level in Barbarian, so you can use the Dex + Con for AC instead of Dex + Wis.

Essentially, you have a few things you need to consider:

1) You want to push for more Rage damage. Bear in mind that you have 3-4 attacks per round, so that extra damage goes a long way.
    2) You want to push for a bigger Martial Arts die. Again, you have 3-4 attacks per round - use 'em.
    3) You want a big ki pool. It's, like, your thing as a Monk. It's your go-juice.
    4) You probably don't want to take 5 levels in both classes? Having a dead level because you already have Extra Attack feels pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would probably go drunken master
    mostly for the flavor of a violent drunk.

I'd go either barb 2 for reckless and rage
    barb 3 for bear or other subclass
    barb 4 for asi
    And no higher. Monk is one that is pretty punishing / detrimental to dip out of

Also if home brew is allowed and you are determined to be a strength brawler you might look at pugilist
    Last edited by MagneticKitty; 2019-09-25 at 12:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd probably go 14/6 Monk Barb as well. Or maybe even Monk, Barb, Fighter.

I keep meaning to grab Barbarian as a multiclass for my Monk, but every level I end up just wanting more ki or whatever other new feature pops up. Level 10 might be the earliest I finally do it, since we encounter a lot of poison damage. I probably should've taken the Barb level first to get it out of the way, actually, but it's hard to get out of Monk, they get new interesting stuff almost every level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I've I'm going for a Strength based Monk/Barb I'd go Tortle so i can dump Dex altogether and just keep a decent Con for Hitpoints. I'd still want a decent Wisdom for stunning strike DCs. Starting with 16 Str, 14 Con, and 16 Wis is easy enough.

I'd go monk 5 then 3 Barbarian for reckless Attack and subclass options, then back to monk until 14-17.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I ran some quick numbers, and it looks like your best bet is actually something like Barbarian 14/Monk 6, funnily enough.

This was assuming, of course, that you have two fights per short rest and (on average) 3 rounds per fight.

I'm not sure, however, that that would produce as much in the way of results at lower levels. Ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!