The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default 2 Druid/Beastly questions

Two questions for a druid in my game that I'd like opinions on.

1. Is there any way for a PC to have control of a swarm? Either by becoming said swarm or controlling it?

2. If a horse had sufficient intelligence (for example a wildshaped druid), could it make a grapple attack? RAW it can, but RAI? That's another matter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: 2 Druid/Beastly questions

1: no, unless you're DM allows something odd with an animal handling check. That would be pretty generous though. Animal friendship would be pretty generous as well.

2: up to the DM really.

If you are the DM, go with what feels right. If you are the player, all the DM since there is a lot of gray area in wildshaping and druids in general.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    1: no, unless you're DM allows something odd with an animal handling check. That would be pretty generous though. Animal friendship would be pretty generous as well.

2: up to the DM really.

If you are the DM, go with what feels right. If you are the player, all the DM since there is a lot of gray area in wildshaping and druids in general.
    I mean, swarms do have beast in their listed type as well as swarms, so I don't think animal friendship is generous at all

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    I mean, swarms do have beast in their listed type as well as swarms, so I don't think animal friendship is generous at all
    Actually now that I look again, Animal Friendship won't work at all. Animal Friendship causes the beast to be charmed. I checked 2/3 of the swarms and they are immune to the charmed condition.