New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age: Origins?

Also the fact that she has a female voice actor.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

And the fact that she says she is when you find the place where she was made.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Really? I haven't gotten to the forge of golems, yet.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Shale as a golem is technically an "it". While Shale was a she before she became a golem, and does not explicitly reject female pronouns, it has long moved past the point where gender is even a thing that applies. I believe Shale even brings this up in dialogue with Oghren when he starts acting like himself.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Shale as a golem is technically an "it". While Shale was a she before she became a golem, and does not explicitly reject female pronouns, it has long moved past the point where gender is even a thing that applies. I believe Shale even brings this up in dialogue with Oghren when he starts acting like himself.
    I feel like she still is not very happy about being called "it" though.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Shale is generally unhappy with everything, but remember that she takes some amusement in tricking people into feeling bad about mistreating her. If you have her in a party with Wynn, she chastises Wynn for treating golems as property, only to explain that no, she doesn't actually care about treatment of golems in general, she was just having a laugh by making Wynn uncomfortable.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Given that Shale calls everyone else "it" (when she can't think of something more insulting, she calls Morrigan "swamp witch") I am not sure she has much of a leg to stand on in the matter.

Shale is generally unhappy with everything
    Shale is sarcastically dismissive of everything. She's unhappy with pigeons.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

The rogue crit build is the best combat rogue in the game.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Given that Shale calls everyone else "it" (when she can't think of something more insulting, she calls Morrigan "swamp witch") I am not sure she has much of a leg to stand on in the matter.

Shale is sarcastically dismissive of everything. She's unhappy with pigeons.
    Not for nothing but she kinda earned it.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

This thread is making me want to replay Dragon Age Origins with a shield rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    This thread is making me want to replay Dragon Age Origins with a shield rogue.
    It's not too bad. I've been keeping to medium armor and boosting my strength to get decent swords. I don't have the hitting power of my old dual-weapon rogue, but a bit more endurance, and combat stealth is pretty nice for managing aggro (though it helps to stop attacking before you hit stealth)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Er, so which is the way past Branka? I turned the game down from normal to easy and nothing happened.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Er, so which is the way past Branka? I turned the game down from normal to easy and nothing happened.
    I don’t follow, halfeye. Do you mean you’re having trouble with that fight?
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I don’t follow, halfeye. Do you mean you’re having trouble with that fight?
    Yes. It may be my reactions being too slow, it may be a need to stop every second and give orders that I'm just not keeping up with (or that keen on). I think I'm going to restart from an earlier save and go out and sell some stuff and see what I can get, then see what happens when I come back. I get on really well with the fights where I can stand back and shoot stuff, but the ones where it's all melee and run around, I'm not so good at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It is a very difficult battle, arguably one of the hardest in Dragon Age: Origins.

My advice is to have a character draw Branka's attention and focus your efforts on defeating the golems helping her. If you can free up the golems who sided with Caridin, they can help you fight her.

16. - Top - End - #166

OK: How and when do you beat Flemeth?
    The Cranky Gamer

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I usually do it right before launching the endgame, after the landsmeet quests have started but before I actually lose access to the world map. She's a tough old lady, and the fact that she turns into a dragon doesn't help. I don't think she's quite as tough as the High Dragon is, but she's a close second. Typically by that time, im strong enough for my warrior to just face tank her while my DPS mages and rogue unload on her.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2019-11-06 at 10:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

I usually kill her in the midgame, positioning to avoid her breath attack helps a lot. Also Shale in tank mode works well since she cant be grabbed by flemeth so thats one big source of damage that shale doesnt have to deal with but a tank like alistair would.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Do we absolutely have to?

She is against the blight and she's a dragon, which seems like a useful creature to have active against your enemies, whether they are a friend or not.

I did it once fairly early, I suspect she goes easy on you (still took several attempts), I think she's bigger than the other.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-11-07 at 11:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Do we absolutely have to?
    No. If you don't find Flemeth's book at the Circle of Magi or if you lie to Morrigan about killing her, there are no repercussions for not doing the dirty deed.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    No. If you don't find Flemeth's book at the Circle of Magi or if you lie to Morrigan about killing her, there are no repercussions for not doing the dirty deed.
    I did try the "give me the book and be off option" so she did, and her parting words were: "You'll never see me again.", so I reloaded a previous save. This play-through I'm hanging on to the book, not planning to ever give it to Morrigan, wondering whether Flemeth will turn up at the final fight (or whatever the end is).

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I did try the "give me the book and be off option" so she did, and her parting words were: "You'll never see me again.", so I reloaded a previous save. This play-through I'm hanging on to the book, not planning to ever give it to Morrigan, wondering whether Flemeth will turn up at the final fight (or whatever the end is).
    As far as im aware, she does not. It is simply treated as an unstarted quest.
    Spoiler: DA2 and beyond
    Show
    Indeed, the game canon actually wants you to kill her, as in DA2 there is a quest specifically for making sure that she is able to come back from such an event.

23. - Top - End - #173

I have beaten my way through the forgotten temple of Andraste... twice, so I could get the Reaver specialization, which I'm sticking on Sten. I thought that was also supposed to unlock blood mage, though?
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have beaten my way through the forgotten temple of Andraste... twice, so I could get the Reaver specialization, which I'm sticking on Sten. I thought that was also supposed to unlock blood mage, though?
    Blood Mage is unlocked by making a deal with the desire demon that is possessing Connor in Redcliffe.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Grrr.

I got almost to the end and ran out of health poltices.

It's got to be four or five hours ago that there was last a chance to buy ingredients. I'm not going that far back.

I think it's a restart.

I'm not happy.

I don't like potions as a mechanism, I didn't use them in Oblivion or Skyrim, I can't remember what I did in the Witcher.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There becomes less reliance on healing potions in DA2 and DAI, though unfortunately people complained about the lack of healing in DAI, so I suspect that will return in the future.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Witcher 3 has perfected the use of potions by making them recharge on rest and I wish more RPGs did the same, precisely to avoid this sort of situation.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Blood Mage is unlocked by making a deal with the desire demon that is possessing Connor in Redcliffe.
    It should also be noted that you have to be playing a Mage Warden in order to learn blood magic from the demon - non-Warden mages won't have the option. That said, if you don't want to cut a deal with the demon, you can also unlock Blood Mage in Awakening by buying a manual from the bartender at the Crown and the Lion in Amaranthine.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-11-11 at 07:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Beholder

While I didn't like inquisition a lot, I do approve of the idea to make health potions a resource that you have X of and recharges at camps. No need to stock up on 999 major health potions that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    While I didn't like inquisition a lot, I do approve of the idea to make health potions a resource that you have X of and recharges at camps. No need to stock up on 999 major health potions that way.
    Agreed. But at the same time, I want to be able to have a dedicated healer in my party if I choose to go that route. Health potions should serve as an "oh crap" button, not as a limiter forcing you to go back to town every so often. I already have to do that to sell stuff and clean up my inventory, I don't need another reason that isn't in synch with that.