New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Can i get some help decifering what this means?

Right so I was reading what dragonblood mage gives me on a website when I saw this:

Arcane Insight (Ex): A 1st-level dragonblood mage’s racial talent with magic grants him keen insights into arcane mysteries. Each time he selects a dragonblood mage substitution level, he gains a cumulative +2 insight bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks.

There's only one listed substitution level on the site, the fact that it specifies cumulative makes me think it's definitely meant to stack with SOMETHING. It gives a different skill list so would "dragonblood mage substitution level" be any level where i used the alternate skill list? or...?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can i get some help decifering what this means?

Looks like what you were reading is taken from the Dragonblood Sorcerer substitution levels in Races of the Dragon, page 107. There are three Dragonblood Sorcerer substitution levels total.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Looks like what you were reading is taken from the Dragonblood Sorcerer substitution levels in Races of the Dragon, page 107. There are three Dragonblood Sorcerer substitution levels total.
    I was looking specifically at the wizard page on the site, it listed
    giving up your familiar and scribe scroll as costs, is this homebrew? Because if it is I need to notify my DM, he's been using the same site as official material.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Voidstar01 View Post
    I was looking specifically at the wizard page on the site, it listed giving up your familiar and scribe scroll as costs, is this homebrew? Because if it is I need to notify my DM, he's been using the same site as official material.
    Impossible to say unless you name the site, I think.

I also only turned up the Sorcerer sub levels in a search, there are 3 of them (1, 4, 7) but they have an identical ability (+2 insight bonus on Arcana checks per sub level) so... eh?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrys View Post
    Impossible to say unless you name the site, I think.

I also only turned up the Sorcerer sub levels in a search, there are 3 of them (1, 4, 7) but they have an identical ability (+2 insight bonus on Arcana checks per sub level) so... eh?
    Last edited by Voidstar01; 2019-09-23 at 12:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ah, yeah, that site has what looks ~mostly like "Real Rules" (the other two Wizard variants I recognize from other 3.5 books, for example), but their home page says it's a homebrew d20 fantasy game and setting.

The owner of the site is probably incorporating their own houserules into the wiki to make it easier for their players to reference, and converted the Dragonblood Sorcerer sub levels into a Dragonblood Mage variant class for the Wizard or something because they thought it made more sense or something.