New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hexblade: Hex Warrior + Pact of The blade clarification

Hi guys,
    this topic has a lot of info but I have small doubt.

According to Jeremy Crawford and Hexblade with pact of the weapon can have 2 weapons: weapon you conjure and a weapon you touch.
    https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/...786944?lang=en

Improved Pact weapon is not on the table is clear how it works but is not on this build.

Now according to this I can Conjure a Glaive for example and at the same time have a second pact weapon with hex warrior touching one weapon.

Now the question: can I conjure a Glaive and Touch a bow?

Jeremy Crawford clarifies also this: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...nded-weapon%2F

Now I know I cannot CONJURE a ranged weapon without IPW but I can touch a bow and make it a pact weapon?
    Hex Warrior says it has to be a 1-handed weapon but says also that when you take Pact of The blade this features extends.

"If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type."

Here is my doubt cause it says every pact weapon you CONJURE not you touch.

So I guess is conjured glaive + 1 handed weapon?
    Or I can do conjure glaive + touch a bow?

Hope I explained my doubt. All rules are clear I just have this doubt.

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hexblade: Hex Warrior + Pact of The blade clarification

For some reason I am having difficulty following what you are asking in your post, so hopefully this is helpful!

There are a lot of issues with how Pact of the Blade is written and there have been threads with many many pages of people arguing over what the restrictions are and what happens when you 'create' a magic weapon with it.

The root cause is, perhaps, this line:

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter.
    The issue here is that to make the magic weapon appear, which is now your pact weapon, you need to 'create your pact weapon', this has several interpretations:

1. You literally create the magic pact weapon and you can change its form, etc. You only have one pact weapon available at a time.
    2. You create a pact weapon from shadow as per first paragraph (can be formed as you like, etc.); the magic pact weapon then also appears. You have two pact weapons available at the same time.
    3. You metaphorically create the magic pact weapon; instead of actually creating it you are now summoning the magic pact weapon and so can not change its form, etc. You only have one pact weapon available at a time.

From your post I think you are looking at the second interpretation; you can create a pact weapon and the magic pact weapon you bonded with will appear at the same time. This is perfectly fine, however, be aware other DMs may have other interpretations.

~~~

As written, there is no restriction on the type of magic weapon you can transform into your pact weapon - it can be a bow if you want. However, there is an issue with 'creating' it - the text says the pact weapon you 'create' is a melee weapon. If you go with second interpretation you are fine - you have to create a melee weapon, then your magic pact weapon (the bow) appears as well.

~~~

As for Hex Warrior, as written, you can touch a weapon after a long rest and have it be wielded via Charisma, and also any pact weapons you conjure will also have the same benefit. Since the word used here was 'conjure' and not 'create' it does not matter which interpretation you use - a magic pact weapon is definitely 'conjured' in all of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeryan View Post
    For some reason I am having difficulty following what you are asking in your post, so hopefully this is helpful!

There are a lot of issues with how Pact of the Blade is written and there have been threads with many many pages of people arguing over what the restrictions are and what happens when you 'create' a magic weapon with it.

The root cause is, perhaps, this line:

The issue here is that to make the magic weapon appear, which is now your pact weapon, you need to 'create your pact weapon', this has several interpretations:

1. You literally create the magic pact weapon and you can change its form, etc. You only have one pact weapon available at a time.
    2. You create a pact weapon from shadow as per first paragraph (can be formed as you like, etc.); the magic pact weapon then also appears. You have two pact weapons available at the same time.
    3. You metaphorically create the magic pact weapon; instead of actually creating it you are now summoning the magic pact weapon and so can not change its form, etc. You only have one pact weapon available at a time.

From your post I think you are looking at the second interpretation; you can create a pact weapon and the magic pact weapon you bonded with will appear at the same time. This is perfectly fine, however, be aware other DMs may have other interpretations.

~~~

As written, there is no restriction on the type of magic weapon you can transform into your pact weapon - it can be a bow if you want. However, there is an issue with 'creating' it - the text says the pact weapon you 'create' is a melee weapon. If you go with second interpretation you are fine - you have to create a melee weapon, then your magic pact weapon (the bow) appears as well.

~~~

As for Hex Warrior, as written, you can touch a weapon after a long rest and have it be wielded via Charisma, and also any pact weapons you conjure will also have the same benefit. Since the word used here was 'conjure' and not 'create' it does not matter which interpretation you use - a magic pact weapon is definitely 'conjured' in all of them.
    Thanks I know I poorly explained.

Question is simple:
    On an Hexblade + Pact of the Blade (and without Improved Pact weapon).
    Can I conjure a Glaive and also touch (with Hex Warrior) a Bow in order to make it my second pact weapon?
    Or I can just conjure a Glaive and touch a 1-handed weapon? (this option is 100% doable)

Hope I've explained it better.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Alek View Post

Question is simple:
    Can I conjure a Glaive and also touch (with Hex Warrior) a Bow in order to make it my second pact weapon?
    Or I can just conjure a Glaive and touch a 1-handed weapon? (this option is 100% doable)

There is no “second Pact Weapon”. Hex Warrior doesn’t allow you to have another Pact Weapon. Hex Warrior allows you to use Cha as the attack stat on a) one 1-handed Weapon, and b) your Pact Weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rsp29a View Post
    There is no “second Pact Weapon”. Hex Warrior doesn’t allow you to have another Pact Weapon. Hex Warrior allows you to use Cha as the attack stat on a) one 1-handed Weapon, and b) your Pact Weapon.
    I understand what you mean now. Hex warrior do not make the weapon I touch once per day a PACT weapon it just give me the ability to use it with my CHA.
    And Hex Warrior extends also to any weapon I CONJURE with Pact of the Blade.

So the answer is no: I cannot use hex warrior on a Bow (as is 2 handed).

But I can still go around with a Conjure Glaive and a 1 handed weapon and both will benefit from Hex Warrior.

I got it right?

6. - Top - End - #6

Question is simple:

No; you don't touch a weapon with Hex Warrior to make it a pact weapon. Touching a weapon (non two-handed) with Hex Warrior (after a long rest) makes it so you can use Charisma for attack and damage rolls. This benefit is also applied to pact weapons, if you have any.

You can make a magic weapon into a pact weapon with a 1 hour ritual. Since this can be a Bow you can use this to get around the non two-handed rule in Hex Warrior.

So, you can conjure a magic Bow* pact weapon and also touch a one-handed weapon - both would have Hex Warrior applied to them.

*Depending on the interpretations I listed in my previous post

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

No. Pact of the blade allows you to conjure one melee weapon at a time. It can be a glaive, but cannot be a bow since a bow is not a melee weapon. Improved pact weapon would let you conjure a bow, but as you say that is not currently on the table.

Hex warrior doesn't let you conjure anything. What it does do is let you use charisma as your attack stat for your pact of the blade weapon. It also lets you touch a single one handed melee weapon per day in order to use charisma as your attack stat with that specific weapon for the rest of the day. This weapon cannot be a glaive because a glaive is a two handed weapon, & cannot be a bow because a bow isn't a melee weapon, and is also two handed.

So with hex warrior and pact of the blade you can use charisma to attack with two different weapons, but one of them, your pact weapin, must be a melee weapon (unless you take improved pact weapon), and the other, your hex warrior weapon, can only ever be a one handed melee weapon.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ah, I think I see what you want to do, correct me if I am wrong; you wish to apply Hex Warrior (Cha-to-Attack/Damage) to both a Glaive (melee, 2H) and a Bow (ranged, 2H).

If you go with the second interpretation I listed in my first post then you can do this:

Transform a magic Bow into your pact weapon. Create a Glaive out of shadow (melee) and your Bow will also appear. Both will have Hex Warrior applied to them despite being 2H because they are your pact weapons.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I understand what you mean now. Hex warrior do not make the weapon I touch once per day a PACT weapon it just give me the ability to use it with my CHA.
    And Hex Warrior extends also to any weapon I CONJURE with Pact of the Blade.

So the answer is no: I cannot use hex warrior on a Bow (as is 2 handed).

But I can still go around with a Conjure Glaive and a 1 handed weapon and both will benefit from Hex Warrior.

I got it right?
    You gain the benefits of Hex Warrior on a bow as long as that bow is also a Pact weapon. Be it "summoned" - a magic bow you ritualized to be your Pact weapon that you call from the extraplanar space - or "created" - with IPW - both would fit the "conjured" idea.

"Conjure" and conjuration in general, as per Conjuration spell school blurb in the PHB, encompasses both creation of objects out of thin air and displacement of object through space. A magic weapon made Pact weapon would fit the "conjured" state the moment you send it or call it back from the extraplanar space.

edit: i see no way of applying the benefits of Hex Warrior to both a bow and a glaive at the same time, tho.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-09-23 at 07:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes all clear guys thanks.

So Hex Warrior applies to a single 1-handed weapon and any pact weapon I conjure.

So I will still have my conjured pact weapon Glaive and also a 1-handed weapon.

I misinterpreted Hex warrior now I get it.

Thanks all for the answers :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes all clear guys thanks.

So Hex Warrior applies to a single 1-handed weapon and any pact weapon I conjure.

So I will still have my conjured pact weapon Glaive and also a 1-handed weapon.

I misinterpreted Hex warrior now I get it.

Thanks all for the answers :)
    Remember though that the hand crossbow does not have the 2-handed property ... so you could apply the hex warrior benefit to a hand crossbow (if you are looking for a ranged weapon). You can apply hex warrior to any weapon that lacks the 2-handed property. (So you can actually attack using a weapon with two hands ... e.g. versatile long sword or staff ... and still use the hex warrior feature since the constraint is on the weapon property).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Remember though that the hand crossbow does not have the 2-handed property ... so you could apply the hex warrior benefit to a hand crossbow (if you are looking for a ranged weapon).
    Yes thanks is ok I rarely use ranged weapons now that's the reason I replaced IPW with Eldritch Smite.
    If I really need a ranged attack (usually while I'm closing in to the target) I can use Eldritch Blast even without the CHA invocation at the moment.
    Is still a 1d10 per attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    You can apply hex warrior to any weapon that lacks the 2-handed property. (So you can actually attack using a weapon with two hands ... e.g. versatile long sword or staff ... and still use the hex warrior feature since the constraint is on the weapon property).
    This is true I didn't think about it. It says the limitation for Hex warrior is for the 1 handed property, so if I use a versatile weapon with 2 hands that will still benefit from the Hex Warrior right?
    good thinking thanks