The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Take me down to the Paragon City....

Where the Skulls are mean and Flambeaux's pretty.

City of Heroes,
    I'm so happy to be back.

Anyone else play?
    City of Heroes is like the Firefly of MMOs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Take me down to the Paragon City....

I played the revival for a while until Shadowbrigners came out. If I had more time I might play it more, but time is precious these days.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

It's back? Hadn't heard about that. Never actually got around to playing it the first time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing on the Homecoming servers since about a day after I heard rumors the game was back. One of my few regrets in all my years of gaming is that I was too casual about City of Heroes and saw maybe 30% of the game's content before it was too late. Now I'm trying to see every story arc I've never gotten to play through... and since the Homecoming team confirmed there are new story arcs coming in the next patch, I just might end up playing forever.

My global is @NeoVid, shockingly.
    "Only things I approve of should exist." -Some guy on the internet
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the reminder. I wanted to play City of heroes back in the day but never got the chance. I'll give it a shot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Superheroes aren't usually my thing, but the breadth of character creation in CoH is something few MMOs seem to match. Both in terms of powers and appearance.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Superheroes aren't usually my thing, but the breadth of character creation in CoH is something few MMOs seem to match. Both in terms of powers and appearance.
    I don't think anything has ever been able to match it, to be honest. I've seen some very creative costumes, both when it was live, and in the new version.

Part of me wants to play more, but FFXIV's siren song is too powerful.

Factotum Variants!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've not played it, but in Champions Online I often crib off the designs people have shared for their superheroes in City of Heroes on various forums.
    never piss off people for who one of their main hobbies involves aggressive and thorough note-taking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I don't think anything has ever been able to match it, to be honest. I've seen some very creative costumes, both when it was live, and in the new version.

Part of me wants to play more, but FFXIV's siren song is too powerful.
    Indeed, though I was also talking about assembling a character from power sets, rather than just picking a class.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh yeah. I've been back for about 3 months now. Playing on homecoming. I've got upwards of 20 characters already. Two 50s, about 5 in their 30s, and the rest lowbies.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Meanwhile I've played hours of this and 90% is in the character creator because I can't figure out what I actually want to play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempting...

Something I couldn't find info on, are they running pre- or post- enhancement stacking nerf? That update biggered my three favorite characters.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Homecoming uses the code from Issue 24, the final official update which was in beta when the live game was killed off. Well, starts with I24, the unofficial devs have been implementing balance patches and new content since Homecoming went active.

Characters are way, way more powerful now than they were in the early days of the game before enhancement diversification, fortunately, so you don't have to worry about your characters being weak.
    =====

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Characters are way, way more powerful now than they were in the early days of the game before enhancement diversification, fortunately, so you don't have to worry about your characters being weak.
    Ah well. Never mind then. It wasn't raw power that was an issue, its that the diversification stuff killed my speed metal illusion controller and another character. I vaguely recall being annoyed about some weird change to gravity controller powers too.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Illusion controller is still uber after 15 years, mine is sitting at perma 170% recharge reduction/perma Phantom Army/permaHasten. Inventions let you get much higher bonuses now than you could back in the days when the best it was possible to do was 6-slotting for one stat. I'm pretty confident that if you remade that character under the current system the build would end up better than it did back then.

Man, the problems the devs hit themselves with by not introducing Inventions and Enhancement Diversification at the same time will never fade.
    =====

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just downloaded City of Heroes. Man is the character creation amazing. I sort of want to just keep on making new characters.

Right now I have a Dark/Dark Defender I am running with. Though since I am sort of anti-social, I am just soloing stuff so far, so being a support class seems a little wasted. (but things are easy enough... so far to level 6 ) Maybe I am underselling cc?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Illusion controller is still uber after 15 years, mine is sitting at perma 170% recharge reduction/perma Phantom Army/permaHasten. Inventions let you get much higher bonuses now than you could back in the days when the best it was possible to do was 6-slotting for one stat. I'm pretty confident that if you remade that character under the current system the build would end up better than it did back then.

Man, the problems the devs hit themselves with by not introducing Inventions and Enhancement Diversification at the same time will never fade.
    Well, that's actually good news. Sounds like it fixes two of the three toons.

I presume that you can't use the original disks to shortcut any of the DL. I may be able to get my wife to play a little, the character builder was so wonderful.

Yeah, it was an illusion/rad controller full slotted for recharge speed & haste only (well except the first two single targets and not using the broken aoe hold). Running everything lagged peoples graphics cards but the mobs were too busy going nuts to target your party. Fun times.
    Last edited by Telok; 2019-10-13 at 02:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Just downloaded City of Heroes. Man is the character creation amazing. I sort of want to just keep on making new characters.
    Maybe I am underselling cc?
    CoH's character creator as a standalone would get thousands of users. I got a D&D fan I know into CoH, and mentioned he could use the character creator to make illustrations for his RPG characters. He laughed maniacally for a minute afterward.

And if you're used to what other games consider crowd control, you're going to massively underestimate CC in CoH. Most games think stunning a guy for half a second is CC, while CC in City of Heroes is more along the lines of "Make an entire roomful of enemies attack each other for the next minute" or "Petrify the boss for 30 seconds."

Buffing/debuffing is also done right in CoH. Want to give all the enemies -30% to hit and damage resistance right out of the starting gate? Well, you're playing a Dark/Dark defender, so you're set!

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I presume that you can't use the original disks to shortcut any of the DL. I may be able to get my wife to play a little, the character builder was so wonderful.

Yeah, it was an illusion/rad controller full slotted for recharge speed & haste only (well except the first two single targets and not using the broken aoe hold). Running everything lagged peoples graphics cards but the mobs were too busy going nuts to target your party. Fun times.
    Probably not on the download, but remember this is a tiny game by modern standards... which makes it more impressive that they can pack so much fun into an MMO that's just 5 gigs. Lag shouldn't be a problem either, as the unofficial dev team updated the game to 64 bit, when it's a game made to run on comps from 15 years ago. Since the 64 bit update, I've seen lag-free Rikti Mothership and Hamidon raids.

By the way, Homecoming's official unofficial roleplaying server is Everlasting, taking the place of Virtue from back in the day. The community is nearly as good as it was back then, which means it puts every other online game community to shame.
    =====

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, it is day 3 since downloading this game, and I already have 5 characters made.

My dark/dark defender is still the highest level, but after getting smushed when I tried to fight some stuff in the level 6-10 zone, I decided to try making a sentinel.

That went pretty well, a beam rifle/regen sentinal. But I decided I wanted to have a more innate-looking power set, the rifle seemed clunky.

So I make a psychic/will sentinal. Wow! The psychic attacks feel so much smoother than the rifle. Also, the first two attacks are timed nice, with very similar cast-plus recharge. (Probably part of why it seems so smooth)

So then I was like, maybe I should make another defender with what I have learned, with some psychic mojo. See if I can make better use of the cc/debuff options than I was doing with dark/dark defender. But then after looking more closely at the powers I went with a nature/radiation defender. I just made them, so we will see how playing this one feels.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

CoH's character creator as a standalone would get thousands of users. I got a D&D fan I know into CoH, and mentioned he could use the character creator to make illustrations for his RPG characters. He laughed maniacally for a minute afterward.
    It did, actually. Not long after the game shut down, the people who had the game's full server code released a stand-alone version of the character creator. For those who didn't know, the full server code, and character databases, were leaked by an insider at Paragon before they were shut down, and the people who got it were actually running a top secret private server for years. Homecoming only happened because news of this finally got out.

Factotum Variants!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is anyone looking forward to City of Titans, since it's being promoted as the spiritual successor to CoH? I know one person who's absolutely bonkers crazy enthused for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Is anyone looking forward to City of Titans, since it's being promoted as the spiritual successor to CoH? I know one person who's absolutely bonkers crazy enthused for it.
    I backed it on kickstarter so I see the regular updates. But that was years ago that I did so, and other MMOs have come along to eat my time since. So I'm curious, but not super hyped.

Factotum Variants!