New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

frown Snips Snails and Dragon Tales

Bummed.

I just started reading OOTS about two to three weeks ago, finished the whole strip.

I've just discovered there are prequel books, super happy about that.

I've more recently discovered that Snips Snails and Dragon Tales is out of stock and will not be reprinted, nor is it available in PDF.

I am big sad.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Snips Snails and Dragon Tales

Peelee to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Will the rest of the books be coming out?
    Yes! Unless sales really fall off a cliff or something, I have every intention of releasing all the regular books in the series as PDFs, eventually. (Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales will probably remain an Ookoodook-exclusive until we sell out of the last paper copy.)
    Going by that, if it really is sold out, then there likely will be a PDF coming out whenever he gets around to it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-23 at 08:53 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Peelee to the rescue!

If it really is sold out, then there likely will be a PDF coming out whenever he gets around to it.
    Well I like that, glad to know that (eventually) I will be able to own all of OOTS.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa, it finally sold out? What a momentous occasion!

You can easily find used copies if you want to own the physical book (or if you can't handle the uncertainty regarding a potential PDF release).
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I was very tempted to order Snips but couldn't justify even the reduced price of international shipment on my current household budget. Might get it as a PDF if there ever is one...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Whoa, it finally sold out? What a momentous occasion!

You can easily find used copies if you want to own the physical book (or if you can't handle the uncertainty regarding a potential PDF release).
    Only bad thing is that the used ones that I found on Amazon are $50, whereas the other books that I have seen are closer to $15. I wouldn't want to give someone else a profit off of the creator's work, especially if they're marking it up over 300%. I will continue to pray to the Twelve that the PDF will be released soon.

Would it be more beneficial to pray to Banjo in this matter?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Elorchombre View Post
    Only bad thing is that the used ones that I found on Amazon are $50, whereas the other books that I have seen are closer to $15. I wouldn't want to give someone else a profit off of the creator's work
    I hate to tell you this, but I'm like 99% sure Ookoodook and Gumroad also make a profit off the creator's work.

8. - Top - End - #8

Only bad thing is that the used ones that I found on Amazon are $50, whereas the other books that I have seen are closer to $15. I wouldn't want to give someone else a profit off of the creator's work, especially if they're marking it up over 300%. I will continue to pray to the Twelve that the PDF will be released soon.

It’s the year of the Thor, I say pray to him.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I hate to tell you this, but I'm like 99% sure Ookoodook and Gumroad also make a profit off the creator's work.
    I mean I'm sure they have, but the creator worked that deal out with Ookoodook and Gumroad. A used book could just be someone buying and reselling for their own profit without letting the creator know about it, or getting the creator in on the deal. It's like buying a NES Classic for $60 and selling it for $300 once stock is out.

At any rate, I will be impatiently waiting for the PDF.

Thor, pls. :)

10. - Top - End - #10

I mean I'm sure they have, but the creator worked that deal out with Ookoodook and Gumroad. A used book could just be someone buying and reselling for their own profit without letting the creator know about it, or getting the creator in on the deal. It's like buying a NES Classic for $60 and selling it for $300 once stock is out.

At any rate, I will be impatiently waiting for the PDF.

Thor, pls. :)
    What you're talking about is called arbitrage; the arber is buying the book from Ookoodook and reselling on Amazon at a higher price. The creator is making the same amount of money that they would have made on you buying the book directly, and if the book is out of print then the creator received exactly as much as they expected throughout the entire run of the book.

Two points to make here: I'm not disagreeing with you at all that it totally sucks and the person selling it is clearly gouging, I'm just saying that if your concerns are about the creator's bottom line, that's not being altered at all here. Second, just about every single sentence i wrote should end with "in theory."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-23 at 11:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Second, just about every single sentence i wrote should end with "in theory."
    In theory, they should. Thanks for your response Peelee. You have given me hope to obtain the book, simply waiting for the PDF.

12. - Top - End - #12

Trust the Giant, for you shall be rewarded with funny stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Going by that, if it really is sold out, then there likely will be a PDF coming out whenever he gets around to it.
    Or even more explicitly!

Quote Originally Posted by @RichBurlew
    Quote Originally Posted by @MajorX17
    Quote Originally Posted by @RichBurlew
    So we're down to 3 boxes left of print copies of "Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales" in the Ookoodook warehouse. We won't be reprinting it, so if you wanted it on paper, consider ordering it sooner rather than later.
    Any chance of this getting a pdf release in the future?
    Yes, definitely. I've been waiting until it sells out at Ook due to my promise to them that it was an "exclusive."
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

But that means, in theory, that when my copy finally wears out, I won't be able to replace it without finding some secondhand and inordinately expensive volume, since apparently no more will ever be printed? I will have to be satisfied with looking at one on computer? (Which, let me add, I already had to buy Haleo and Julean, if I spelled that right, twice because of a computer crash and I had no idea how to download it again, nor even if I were allowed to do so...)

I don't enjoy digital versions of things. I likes me some paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Demand, meet supply. Supply, meet demand.

Supply and demand is the relationship between the quantity of a commodity that producers wish to sell and the quantity that consumers wish to buy. Funny enough, when a resource is scarce and no more of it is to be had, the price goes up. Shocking, I know.

It's a good thing we have those Amazon sellers, though. Otherwise the product would be completely gone and unavailable at any price. Whew!

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-04 at 09:17 AM.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Demand, meet supply. Supply, meet demand.

Supply and demand is the relationship between the quantity of a commodity that producers wish to sell and the quantity that consumers wish to buy. Funny enough, when a resource is scarce and no more of it is to be had, the price goes up. Shocking, I know.
    Rebuttal: The quantity of the commodity the producers wished to sell was steadily diminishing in the Ookoodook store, and yet the price stayed constant. That that, overly-simplistic economic principles!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-04 at 09:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rebuttal: The quantity of the commodity the producers wished to sell was steadily diminishing in the Ookoodook store, and yet the price stayed constant. That that, overly-simplistic economic principles!
    I know you're joking on it but,
    the constant price in Ookoodook, as far as economic principles are concerned, is artificially constant: someone decided the price was to be that and that decision remained. It's exactly the contrast beetween the constant price at Ookoodook and the rising prices at other places (free of the first decision contraint) that shows the effect of the scarcity on the price of the product.
    Don't look at me this way. They call me nerd for a reason ;-P
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-10-04 at 09:31 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Supply shouldn't be allowed to determine the prices of essential, inelastic goods like the OotS books.
    ungelic is us

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I know you're joking on it but,
    the constant price in Ookoodook, as far as economic principles are concerned, is artificially constant: someone decided the price was to be that and that decision remained. It's exactly the contrast beetween the constant price at Ookoodook and the rising prices at other places (free of the first decision contraint) that shows the effect of the scarcity on the price of the product.
    You're getting into arbitrage, as the rising prices at other places are not being set by the producer by by other consumers.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Another possibility, besides price gouging, is that the sellers merely value SSDT quite highly, and they weren't willing to sell until the price reached a certain level. I would be willing to sell my own copy, now that I know there will be a digital version available, but... not exactly at the price set by Ookoodook. I value it far too much to part with it for anything that wouldn't benefit me in a meaningful way.

Sure, they're probably just gougers, but I prefer to be charitable about the motives of strangers if at all possible. It seems healthier, somehow.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hey, The Giant gives permission to price gouge right there on the back of the book!

Quote Originally Posted by SSaDT
    Of course, it is an Ookoodook exclusive, which means that you can only get it from their website or convention booth (or pay a huge markup later). So if you're holding this in your hands and haven't bought it yet, buy two so you can resell it with a huge markup later!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

You can also print out the PDF for personal use. So print it out and then use one of the first two threads here to create your own dead-tree version.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-10-07 at 08:54 AM. Reason: No judgement is intended by the use of "dead tree". It's the version I prefer best as well!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    You can also print out the PDF for personal use. So print it out and then use one of the first two threads here to create your own dead-tree version.
    Um, but there isn't a PDF for SSDT yet?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Someone expressed regret at SSaDT potentially only being available as PDF in the future.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not yet, Minion. Not. Yet!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome!

I have all the paper versions, but I'm moving continents again and honestly, paper books are making my moves expensive. I've been replacing physical books with digital ones, but I didn't want to just have the one physical OOTS book so I haven't sold them yet (I do have all the available PDFs already though). I'm excited about SSDT finally coming out as a PDF so I can have the collection all in one format and also save money when I move.

Thanks, Giant! :D