Default Re: OOTS #1181 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    You rang?
    Yeah, and now i have lost all my paladin levels 😂

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

Lawful tends to be way wider in scale than Chaotic.
    The scope of evil deeds is a matter of organization - not alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Sure, Authoritarian Followers are Lawful to a fault, but the manipulators who tend to lead the Followers are usually pretty Chaotic, being generally very bereft of any principles whatsoever beyond serving their own selfish desires.
    My thoughts exactly. Shojo doesn't need to be lawful to lead a highly organized order of paladins and Xykon doesn't need to be lawful to lead loyal legions of goblinoids.

And even if the followers aren't lawful either they can organize some pretty big and pretty bad deeds as a horde.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Theoretical argument between Hilgya and Teen Kudzu:
    TK: I'm not following you into the Church of Loki mom! I'm gonna rebuild the Creed of the Stone!
    Hilgya: OK cool. Saves me having to teach you everything.
    TK: Y-you're not stopping me?
    Hilgya: You still here?
    TK: So... You're not going to kill me now you can't control me and I'm defying your beliefs?
    Hilgya: Why would you think that? I still love you even if we don't agree on every detail. And besides, Lokis prime teaching is 'If it suits me, fine'.
    TK: So you're not a control freak nightmare mum?
    Hilgya: I'm only two out of four of those. And where would you get the idea that I'd kill you for disagreeing with me? Have you been talking to your dad again?

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    I'm surprised she would even deem to give him false hope of seeing his kid when this is all set and done. I don't think she is at all willing to share custody, but maybe that's just me. Or maybe its because she murdered him not a single day ago. That could be it.

In all fairness she did raise him from the dead so its more of a divine slap to the face.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

You're right that I don't speak French. But I know a thing or two, of course.

Spoiler: Disenchantment
    Show
    The original line was: "Aren't you the crazy lizard queen of Dreamland?" to which a character replies: "I am the crazy lizard queen of NO land!". In the French version, it goes (pardon my spelling) "N'etre vous pas la bizarre reigne lézard que partis?" to which she replies: "Je suis la bizarre reigne lézard sans patrie!"
    Don’t take this personally but although I can get the meaning of the dialogue, I have a hard time parsing what tense is used and how formal the language is supposed to be which, with the fact that I don’t have any context makes it hard for me to say that it is better than the original. Especially since one could use ‘nulle part’ (nowhere) to stay closer to the original and keep the repetition with ‘partie’.

For every The Master, there are countless Darth Vaders, M. Bisons, Geese Howards, Kefkas, etc.
    Caligula (as a play character, not a historical figure), Joffrey Baratheon, Emperor Joker ...

The idea of a tyrant acting randomly is one of the oldest tropes in the book.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, in general, Chaotics do not make good authoritarians.

For every The Master, there are countless Darth Vaders, M. Bisons, Geese Howards, Kefkas, etc.
    Kefka? Unless you're thinking of a completely different Kefka than I am, he wasn't a authoritarian. He was some kind of cosmic Nihilist or something. He didn't want to rule he just wanted to blow everything up until there was nothing left, and then leave that as a monument to nonexistence.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #277

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Kefka? Unless you're thinking of a completely different Kefka than I am, he wasn't a authoritarian. He was some kind of cosmic Nihilist or something. He didn't want to rule he just wanted to blow everything up until there was nothing left, and then leave that as a monument to nonexistence.
    If this is FF6, then from my recollection he fiddled with the world's balance of magic power in the clumsiest 'hold my beer' way, crippled the planet in doing so, and put himself on top of the new world order. I also seem to remember him being a unique villain as he did what he set out to do; the protagonists don't foil his scheme for Ultimate Power, they have to fight back *after* Kefka wins. So pretty chaotic, but only authoritarian in the 'cross me and I'll cut you with infinite magic power' kind of way. And, unlike Sephiroth, Ultimecia and Kuja after him, a successful villain.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    If this is FF6, then from my recollection he fiddled with the world's balance of magic power in the clumsiest 'hold my beer' way,
    To be fair to him, he DID seem to have some kind of plan for a more controlled draining of the statues, only those darn protags messed everything up for him. It was Shadow that messed everything up, IIRC, not Kefka.

OK, it was Emperor Ghestal that had the plan for properly draining them, Kefka did start shoving them around all willy-nilly even before Shadow showed up. I was wrong about that...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sindeloke View Post
    Yeah I think a big part of the problem with Hilgya is a tonal mismatch. This comic strip has evolved a great deal from the days when the team did obviously Evil stuff as one-off gags and we were meant to laugh and move on without thinking about it. The Giant has, in fact, singled out a couple of those thoughtlessly Evil moments as the strip has evolved, and used them to echo back on the players and examine (and implicitly condemn) the carelessness of the strip's early morality. But Hilgya seems to still exist in that original dynamic, to a certain degree, which becomes a real issue when her "flame strike to resolve domestic dispute" overreaction humor hits up against a narrative environment that no longer treats such things so trivially, and an audience conditioned to view things from within that new more serious narrative framework.
    Yeah, it's like she was in suspended animation for about 15 years and then came out of the lab ...
    Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I'd like to note that Malack's religion wasn't vampirism, it was Nergal worship, which wasn't a secret, and Durkon was perfectly cool with it.
    Yes, and they discussed it amicablly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    The idea here seems to be that Hilgya and Durkon have moved past their mutual dislike and emotional pain and will do what's best for their son moving forward. That's a start.
    Yeah. And the rest will happen off screen, I think, since the Order needs to head north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen Hilgya look more like a PERSON, and less like a caricature.
    I like the way you put that; it captured a thought I had but could not put into words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    I propose that Kudzu should be raised by a resurrected Miko. She'd keep him on the straight and narrow and make sure he doesn't turn out chaotic or evil. She wouldn't let him watch TV one second more than experts recommend, and perfectly stick to all the rules of parenting.
    Hmm, I am thinking that needed blue text, but that got a grin out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    O-Chul doesn't get dead. Death get o-chuled.
    And even Chuck Norris would be wary of messing with O-Chul.
    Make some for me.
    *hands some popcorn to TW*
    I added extra butter and a little salt.

Have you read The Authoritarians(warning: direct PDF link) by Bob Altemeyer?
    Thanks for the link! Looks like a worthy read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Theoretical argument between Hilgya and Teen Kudzu:
    TK: I'm not following you into the Church of Loki mom! I'm gonna rebuild the Creed of the Stone!
    Hilgya: OK cool. Saves me having to teach you everything.
    TK: Y-you're not stopping me?
    Hilgya: You still here?
    TK: So... You're not going to kill me now you can't control me and I'm defying your beliefs?
    Hilgya: Why would you think that? I still love you even if we don't agree on every detail. And besides, Lokis prime teaching is 'If it suits me, fine'.
    TK: So you're not a control freak nightmare mum?
    Hilgya: I'm only two out of four of those. And where would you get the idea that I'd kill you for disagreeing with me? Have you been talking to your dad again?
    *JChortles*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

You're right that I don't speak French. But I know a thing or two, of course.

Spoiler: Disenchantment
    Show
    The original line was: "Aren't you the crazy lizard queen of Dreamland?" to which a character replies: "I am the crazy lizard queen of NO land!". In the French version, it goes (pardon my spelling) "N'etre vous pas la bizarre reigne lézard que partis?" to which she replies: "Je suis la bizarre reigne lézard sans patrie!"
    Would you know in what episode that was?

I tend to watch TV and movies in original version when i can. The French translation are usually average, at best.
    It's not easy to translate English into French while keeping the pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And even Chuck Norris would be wary of messing with O-Chul.
    Chuck Norris is O-Chul's character in Real Life.

Oh my... i really liked that O-Chul Facts thread we had going years ago.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

11. - Top - End - #281

MindFlayer

Hilgya murdering Durkon is a lot more excusable to me because she did immediately resurrect him afterwards. The primary consequence of her action is that Durkon lost a level. She killed him when she knew full well that he would not stay dead, and I do not think she would have killed him if she thought it would stick.

Like, it wasn't a good act, but it's not monstrously evil. I think it's basically equivalent to her punching him in the face.

As far as Hilgya's parenting goes, it's not ideal, but it's not so awful that the kid needs to be taken from her. Like, Hilgya needs to establish some sort of babysitter so she doesn't end up bringing her kid to her workplace and potential danger, but really that's my biggest issue with her.

She isn't a good person, but she's not negligent and she clearly cares about the kid.

O-Chul deserves better than to be compared to Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris (the real person) kind of sucks, and did not deserve to be the basis for Chuck Norris (the ultimate badass)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasiliskSoldier View Post
    Chuck Norris (the real person) kind of sucks, and did not deserve to be the basis for Chuck Norris (the ultimate badass)
    Personally, I think we should go back to making the exact same jokes, but about Mr. T instead. He seems like a real hoopy frood.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Season 1, Part 2, Episode 3.
    Personally, I think we should go back to making the exact same jokes, but about Mr. T instead. He seems like a real hoopy frood.
    I'm all on board with this plan. Mr. T is awesome.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait .... what??

Well, the Chuck Norris Facts are jokes and at this point don't have that much to do with the real person, unless you consider the real Chuck Norris' blood is poisonous to the snake that would bite him or he's able to single-handedly defeat the nazis at five years old.

And i'm quite curious to know what's your contention about the real Chuck Norris, how is he a bad person?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Season 1, Part 2, Episode 3.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-09-25 at 10:10 AM.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

15. - Top - End - #285

Lizardfolk

*JChortles*
    Thanks! Nice to get recognition.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Wait .... what??

Well, the Chuck Norris Facts are jokes and at this point don't have not that much to do with the real person, unless you consider the real Chuck Norris' blood is poisonous to the snake that would bite him or he's able to single-handedly defeat the nazis at five years old.

And i'm quite curious to know what's your contention about the real Chuck Norris, how is he a bad person?
    That's a difficult question to answer without breaking forum rules, given that Chuck Norris is a real person who's still alive.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Apparently, for some people, it isn't.

I do agree, though.

The Watsonian take is the only way to enjoy the comic in general.

Hilgya is a victim of some people suddenly deciding to consider throwaway jokes to be a part of characterisation, when they are not considered thus inside the comic.

If we take it seriously that V uses a "tentacles of forced intrusion" then V is a rapist, which by rights should make V evil. Yet V is clearly not evil when they meet Miko. As I recall she did a detect evil on everyone but Belkar with his lead sheet.

Elan's decision to show no empathy when Roy is hit by a poisonous trap with spikes that would have killed anyone in real life, but instead use the situation to get back at Roy, is not referenced ever again after the panel.

The whole party condemns a Hydra to eternal suffering, because it's funny. Are we to take that as indicator of their morality? Apparently not.

But with Hilgya, not only things that are meant to indicate that she has a tendency towards violence (let's not forget V isn't evil in-comic despite frequently using explosive runes on people who are being annoying) are taken as proof of extreme evilness, but even the fact that she brings a baby into battle (which is clearly NOT meant to indicate bad parenting) is taken at face value.

Edit: And claiming that Hilgya wouldn't let Kudzu worship Thor or even become a cleric is EXTREMELY ridiculous. Really, please do THINK for a moment. Hilgya had sex with a cleric of Thor, and unlike Durkon had every intention of making that a long-term relationship. She probably wouldn't be happy if Kudzu risked his afterlife by not using her way of cheating the system, but she certainly wouldn't disinherit him or anything.
    I think this is accurate, but the timing was really, really painful. I think the purpose was to be a mood-lightener, but coming when it did, it sort of completely ruined the joy I got in seeing Durkon come back to life with a series of actions on both Durkon and Hilgya's parts that were painful and unfunny for me to watch. It'd be a lot harder to get a good moment in the comic these days where V's Tentacles spells wouldn't send an extremely sour note;humor has marched on and the comic is a lot more serious than it used to be. I recall a similar minor issue that occurred fairly recently: the mind-controlled Kobold at Girard's Gate was meant to be a humor thing, but I remember at the time the joke went on so long that it switched from feeling funny to feeling unnecessary cruel in several people's eyes, self included.

It's okay; not every joke works for every person every time. But I think that's where a lot of this comes from and it's worth remembering that there have been other times jokes have landed flat for characters we like, too.

I think for me Kudzu lands triply hard because like:
    - I'm very acquainted with children survivors of abusive parents and Hilgya sets off many of my personal triggers.
    - Mr. Burlew is otherwise very fastidious about protecting children.

I think it's very clear that the intent in writing these scenes is that if nothing else, Hilgya is a Good Mom and Durkon is a Good Dad and things will never work between them but they will work well for Kudzu. But the story doesn't add up that way in my head and I basically have to quietly ignore prior scenes for it to work. And I think it's OK for me to walk away with a different feeling about these scenes and say they don't work for me even when I can acknowledge author intent.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2019-09-25 at 10:16 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

18. - Top - End - #288

MindFlayer

I have strong issues with certain political stances he's taken in regards to issues that are important to me, and I think his stance on those issues reflects poorly on his character and I don't think he deserved his memetic reputation as the ultimate badass because of those political stances.

That's all I'm gonna say about it.
    Last edited by BasiliskSoldier; 2019-09-25 at 10:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    - Mr. Burlew is otherwise very fastidious about protecting children.
    If you mean he thinks children should be protected, yeah, but just about every child character has been killed. The TBD was killed by V, Eric was killed by an accident,
    Spoiler
    Show

Redcloak’s sister and nephews were killed

He hasn’t included many but they haven’t fared well in the whole survival department.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

20. - Top - End - #290

HalflingRogueGuy

I don't think he deserved his memetic reputation as the ultimate badass .
    He’s a 80 year old feeble dude with fake hair who was in some absolutely terrible movies in the 70s.

He’s about as badass as Elmo, but with a lot less name recognition among people younger than 50.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Like, it wasn't a good act, but it's not monstrously evil. I think it's basically equivalent to her punching him in the face.
    Yeah, and this is a parallel that Sigdi herself pointed out in her defence of Hilgya's reaction to the proposal.

I'm generally ok with this outcome, it gives both characters something they want without betraying Hilgya's estabilished characterization. And it is a good starting point for Durkon to develop the skills he'll need to possibly make a compromise with Redcloak in the future.

I like that by this point most characters have something to look forward to, narrative wise, for the last book of the series.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's like, a secret to everybody or whatever.

22. - Top - End - #292

WolfInSheepsClothing

I still find it baffling that people think that things between Durkon and Hilgya will end with some sort of victory over her; he chose to sleep with her without knowing whether their values aligned and without protection and he’s probably not getting out of the consequences thereof via combat. No matter how many people secretly wish they could smite their ex, it’s unlikely that they are just going to fight Hilgya and take Kudzu since doing so would be catering to a childish power fantasy and this particular story arc seems to be going for a somewhat more realistic take on co-parenting and learning to cooperate with those you dislike for the sake of family.

Also don’t understand the people insisting that Hilgya must be an abusive parent despite no evidence and evidence to the contrary.

Maybe she has two or more focuses. Foci. Focaccia.

Hmm, focaccia.
    That sounds like something MitD would say.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Also don’t understand the people insisting that Hilgya must be an abusive parent despite no evidence and evidence to the contrary.
    I think I found the key to your not-understanding.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-09-25 at 11:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hilgya killing and then resurrecting Durkon was inexcusable because it wasted diamonds.

Think of the shiny things, the loot, the treasure that was so thoughtlessly destroyed, and for what?

Think of all the good that an extra resurrection could have done at so many times, and now there's one less chance, and for what?

If Hilgya wanted to rid herself of some diamonds so badly, she could have donated them to someone in need, someone deserving. Like me.

I deserve diamonds.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Don’t take this personally but although I can get the meaning of the dialogue, I have a hard time parsing what tense is used and how formal the language is supposed to be which, with the fact that I don’t have any context makes it hard for me to say that it is better than the original. Especially since one could use ‘nulle part’ (nowhere) to stay closer to the original and keep the repetition with ‘partie’.

Caligula (as a play character, not a historical figure), Joffrey Baratheon, Emperor Joker ...

The idea of a tyrant acting randomly is one of the oldest tropes in the book.
    I told you I don't speak French.

I liked it, though, because it rhymed and sounded like the kind of wordplay one would see in Astérix.

And, eh, fair enough.

*hands some popcorn to TW*
    I added extra butter and a little salt.
    How thoughtful! Thanks!

Spoiler
    Show
    Season 2, episode 3, after she meets the pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I still find it baffling that people think that things between Durkon and Hilgya will end with some sort of victory over her; he chose to sleep with her without knowing whether their values aligned and without protection and he’s probably not getting out of the consequences thereof via combat. No matter how many people secretly wish they could smite their ex, it’s unlikely that they are just going to fight Hilgya and take Kudzu since doing so would be catering to a childish power fantasy and this particular story arc seems to be going for a somewhat more realistic take on co-parenting and learning to cooperate with those you dislike for the sake of family.
    Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    the mind-controlled Kobold at Girard's Gate was meant to be a humor thing, but I remember at the time the joke went on so long that it switched from feeling funny to feeling unnecessary cruel in several people's eyes, self included.
    Well, he wanted the outcome. If he did not, he wouldn't have shot the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    I deserve diamonds.
    >_>

<_<

*Tug, tug, tug*

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Yeah, and now i have lost all my paladin levels 😂
    Eh, don't worry. I'm sure you'll find them. Or someone will, at least.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-09-25 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Hilgya killing and then resurrecting Durkon was inexcusable because it wasted diamonds.

Think of the shiny things, the loot, the treasure that was so thoughtlessly destroyed, and for what?

Think of all the good that an extra resurrection could have done at so many times, and now there's one less chance, and for what?

If Hilgya wanted to rid herself of some diamonds so badly, she could have donated them to someone in need, someone deserving. Like me.

I deserve diamonds.
    A nearly perfect post.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    He’s a 80 year old feeble dude with fake hair who was in some absolutely terrible movies in the 70s.

He’s about as badass as Elmo, but with a lot less name recognition among people younger than 50.
    Directly from wikipedia.
    Spoiler: I'd say these are the reason he has a deserved reputation of being a badass
    Show

Norris suffered the tenth and last loss of his career, losing an upset decision to Louis Delgado. On November 24, 1968, he avenged his defeat to Delgado and by doing so won the Professional Middleweight Karate champion title, which he held for six consecutive years.[10] In 1969, he won Karate's triple crown for the most tournament wins of the year, and the Fighter of the Year award by Black Belt magazine.

And

Rank E3 USAF AM1.svg Airman First Class
    Unit

Patch 15th USAAF.png 15th Air Force
    22d Air Refueling Wing.png 22d Bombardment Group
    452d Air Mobility Wing.png 452d Troop Carrier Wing

Awards

National Defense Service Medal ribbon.svg National Defense Service Medal
    Korea Defense Service Medal ribbon.svg Korea Defense Service Medal
    Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon.png Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
    Air Force Longevity Service ribbon.svg Air Force Longevity Service Award
    Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon.png Small Arms Expert Marksmanship

Returning to the comic, I'm glad, nay, I'm overjoyed to see H's reputation cleared, eventually.

I'm still laughing a bit about the idea that people really would have thought that the heroes, of all the people, could take away a child from her mom, probably killing -for good, not in the "resurrect, kill, resurrect" way- her in the process. This to thank her of the fact that she has healed them after the battle and -eventually- resurrected Durkon, instead of leaving them unconscious and Durkon dead and planeshifting away. It would have been a good enough reason to root for Xykon.

@AstralFire: I don't think that the kobold's enslavement was ever meant to be humorous. Maybe (better: probably, at least in the author's intentions) Durkon and Elan knowing about the bad stuff V and B did to him was meant to be for the sake of two throwaway jokes (the vomiting and the bad application of karma). (Even if for me even those put a shadow on them, but this too was discussed for ages).

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

I have strong issues with certain political stances he's taken in regards to issues that are important to me, and I think his stance on those issues reflects poorly on his character and I don't think he deserved his memetic reputation as the ultimate badass because of those political stances.

That's all I'm gonna say about it.
    You're right, we are pushing the rules.

So i won't go any further either, despite the fact there would be a lot to say about what you just said.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    I'm still laughing a bit about the idea that people really would have thought that the heroes, of all the people, could take away a child from her mom, probably killing -for good, not in the "resurrect, kill, resurrect" way- her in the process. This to thank her of the fact that she has healed them after the battle and -eventually- resurrected Durkon, instead of leaving them unconscious and Durkon dead and planeshifting away. It would have been a good enough reason to root for Xykon.
    Hear hear!

And that, of course, assuming Hilgya, with a lot of bonuses for being a mother trying to prevent a kidnapping, wouldn't get at least one kill in firs, possibly Durkon himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post

@AstralFire: I don't think that the kobold's enslavement was ever meant to be humorous. Maybe (better: probably, at least in the author's intentions) Durkon and Elan knowing about the bad stuff V and B did to him was meant to be for the sake of two throwaway jokes (the vomiting and the bad application of karma). (Even if for me even those put a shadow on them, but this too was discussed for ages).
    If I took that bit as indication of the morality of the whole group, I would have to consider not only V and Belkar but also Durkon and Elan, who did not enact any punishment, evil. Now, V is arguably evil, and Belkar certainly is, but Durkon and Elan are allegedly beings of incorruptible pure pureness (at least for Elan, Haley explicitly says something along those lines), but didn't seem to feel a need to do anything but vomit.

Hilgya killing Durkon with fire instead of slapping him in the face is a lot funnier. I could see that happen in a game of D&D without causing the group to break apart, whereas if anyone treated another player character the way they treated that kobold, that would be the end of it. Death is reversible in D&D, torture is not.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2019-09-25 at 12:54 PM.