New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Cartels, Cigars, Conspiracy: A Hunter The Vigil Game

The sun bakes the sidewalk, people bang their air conditioners as they sweat in their rooms, a jogger wipes the sweat off their brow as they run another three miles, ground beef hits a grill as someone pulls out fresh tortillas from the oven, a cold beer is opened.
    A man knocks on your door, a massive black pickup truck in your driveway. He's built like a linebacker and it looks like his nose got broke three or five times throughout his life. He's rolling a cigar between his scarred fingers, a plain wedding band taking up space next to a much larger class ring. He scratches a burgeoning beard as he talks to you. His expression is a little hard to read as his reflective sunglasses glint harshly in the midday sun. "How're you doing neighbor?" The man, you know didn't live anywhere near you. But it was a code you were familiar with. "How'd you like to share a beer with me." It wasn't much of a question.
    The man was James Dorian. You've all got a call from him, telling you that you had been handpicked as part of a retaliatory task force against the shadows of the night. Some of you have suspicions that handpicked may have been an exaggeration. Either way, he insisted that you not talk to him for the first week you were here. Something about it being more secure that way. Your week after moving here was likely hectic with the normal moving anxieties.
    James says that he didn't want to explain himself twice, he also insisted that you not ask him any questions about The Hunt until all of three of you were in his massive truck. Otherwise, while he seemed a bit distant, he was otherwise friendly to those that arrived before the others. He doesn't smoke in the car if you ask him not too, but he does keep his cigar out and will chew on it occasionally.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Cartels, Cigars, Conspiracy: A Hunter The Vigil Game

As soon as everyone got into the truck, Blart slammed his foot down. "Okay you said you want to talked about vampires? Does this have anything to do with Shortstuff. The only reason I'm even here is because my sources have been running dry." He then grabbed the bottle of of beer from his backpack and started drinking it.
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2019-09-26 at 11:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Shortstuff? The guy who took out your squad, right?" James didn't wait for an answer. "We haven't got any leads on him. Usually, no one survives any encounters with his gang so it's hard to get anything on him. The last we heard about the gang is that they moved out of the country. Too many troopers on their tail." James chomped harder on his cigar. "And the cops over there wouldn't even do anything if they did know it was a vampire."
    James looked at Blart opening the beer, he chomped harshly on his cigar. He quickly pulled over nearly hitting the sidewalk. "Throw that damn thing out! Open container laws, you idiot!"
    I prefer a keg of beer!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Winona, who sat squashed against the car door by Blart's bulk, scowled at the fat man.

"I thought you were supposed to be a cop, boomer," she told him venomously. Her attitude contrasted jarringly with the bow, pink hair, and Love is War tee hat she'd chosen to wear for the occasion. Though it did somewhat match the sheathed machete she had swinging from the waistband of her Daisy Dukes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Can you guys please not start fighting?" Said the fourth member of the group, Tomás. "I went to sleep late last night, and shouts are not going to help my headache."

He rubbed his temple with one hand, peering at the rest of the crew through his glasses. His eyes stopped on James.

"Anyway, the three of us are here for a reason. Do you want to tell us what that is, or do you want to wait until we've reached... Wherever it is this truck is taking us?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

James waited patiently as Blart threw away the beer.
    "Ah, see. I knew there was a reason that I hired you, Tommy." He tapped on his wheel as he passed three people carrying bats outside of a corner shop. "So if anyone who ain't a Hunter asks you. The reason we hang out so much is that you two." He points to Tomas and Winona. "You're impoverished youths. And I'm teaching you survival skills, and lessons in character as you work on my ranch for some extra money. I'm retired, but the ranch still is technically owned by me. You will be getting paychecks so that our paperwork checks out. You are only getting 20 hours though cause I ain't exactly rich. " James eyed the three people. One was slouched against a mailbox near the front of the store, the other is on the left corner of the street, and the third is in an alleyway to the right.
    "Don't worry about the others on the ranch. They're on the level, and if anyone asks what you do there. Tell them you're in charge of some grunt work. Milking the cows, feeding the pigs, cleaning all the **** up. You get the idea. Don't feel inclined to actually work, but I would appreciate the help if you offered. And It'd help with your cover." James makes a right turn
    "If anyone asks why you moved here. Tell them a sob story about like... I dunno, being homeless or some ****. If people think you had a rough time than they usually won't pry."
    "Blart, if anyone asks you're doing some community work as well. Watching out for these kids here, making sure they don't break any of those laws. Plus, I'm a drinking buddy of yours now. 'Cause that offer for a beer is still standing. Ralph's a hangout for hunters. A lot of hunters come through wanting to pass on information, and there's a members-only room in the back. The password is changed every month, but right now it's Catfish." James makes another right turn. Two more muscular people covered in tattoos are on the side of the street. One is carrying a crowbar. "Now you can't go shouting about it, and it's usually a mostly business affair there. If you get so drunk that you start blabbing than you probably ain't gonna get let in again. Feel free to get a bit more raucous in the normal bar."
    James adjusted his mirror. "And you," He pointed towards Winona "Lose the blade. Keep it near you, usually in the car. But don't carry it on your person unless you know you're gonna use it. Open Carry attracts the wrong type of attention. You'll be the first suspect if anything happens. Try to wear a more fashionable color than black if you get a coat going past your knees. If any of you need a concealed carry license than I know a guy who offers the courses, and you can get them cheap."
    "Oh, and, I guess none of you know each other's names. Pretty girl in pink is Winona Tate, E-Celebrity, 2nd amendment activist, and uh... Katana enthusiast. The guy with the glasses and the bags under his eyes is Thomas Lombardi, Occult Expert, anthropology student, decent soccer player. The rude cop is Blart Paul... Expert at being a cop."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Winona glared at the back of James's seat but did as he requested, removing the machete from her hip and sliding it into a seat pocket.

"Pleasure to meet you boys," she said, somewhat sulkily, "but I don't think Tom's question has been answered yet. What are we meeting at your ranch for exactly, Mr Dorian?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

A man eyes the car from underneath a ballcap, casually hitting a football against his hands. James continues answering questions. "Huh? Oh, I guess I should have made myself more clear. We're not going to the ranch. We're going to Ralph's. Stay Informed, Stay Alive as the saying goes. And other hunters are the easiest way to get information. Be careful though, people can get a bit territorial. It usually doesn't get serious, but if you're following the same lead as someone then you should try and keep them informed of everything you're doing."
    I prefer a keg of beer!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Winona nodded, watching the ball man cautiously as they passed.
    "A bar. Cool."
    She then frowned, leaning passed Blart's rotund belly to stare at Tomás.
    "Are you even old enough to drink at a bar?"
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2019-10-01 at 06:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tomás frowned back at Winona.

"I am old enough, thank you very much. Though," he added, somewhat under his breath. "I don't... Particularly enjoy most kinds of alcohol."

He then looked back at James.

"So, boss, and I hope you don't mind if I call you that, at least for the time being. Is there any sort of specific intel we're looking for, or are we just going to... Get a feel for the place, so to speak?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paul laid back on his seat, showing slight annoyance from the two kids talking between him. He looked at James "I just want ask if you can't get me Shortstuff why should I even join your group? All I care about is is ripping that piece of **** to pieces."
    Last edited by Godzillarich; 2019-09-30 at 08:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

James made another right turn. Two men wearing red bandanas sat down on a bench smoking cigarettes. "I think we might be asking around for something in particular..." James repositioned his rear-view mirror. "But that's depending on what's up ahead."
    He than turned to Blart. "I never said that we weren't going after Shortstuff. I said that we weren't ready to go after him. Even a small town like ours has a lot on their plate. We'll be going after Shortstuff soon enough, but that doesn't mean we're going be abandoning our duties. The Vigil isn't about revenge. And if you try to make it about revenge then you're going down a path that you won't like the ending of."
    I prefer a keg of beer!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paul leaned forward. "Fine I will join your little group, but by the end of this I want Shortstuffs head on a pike." Paul then looked at the two kids beside him. "I will remind you I am a cop. There will be no underage drinking today."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So, I don't know if you noticed. But we went in a circle. I know you guys aren't used to this city, but there's usually not this many people with weapons out in the public. I was doing a permiter sweep, and I think those tattooed punks noticed me. But more importantly." He pointed to the store they were coming up too. It had the three thugs with baseball bats outside the front of it, and the curtains to the store windows were drawn. It appeared to sell novelty t-shirts from what could be seen. "A hunter works there. And I don't know if this shady **** has anything to do with her, but I know she told me that she saw the owner giving a wad of bills to a gang member."
    James stopped in front of the store. He reached below his seat, and pulled out a crowbar. "Don't do anything illegal. But be ready for a fight."
    As James exited the vehicle he was accosted by one of the thugs. "Hey! You lost old man, or you just dumb! Didn't I just see your narq truck coming through earlier!"
    "Nah, I was just looking for some shade."
    "Yeah, whatever you say, ese. The place is closed, so how about you get going!"
    I prefer a keg of beer!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paul got out of the car, walking casually out. "You seem to be lost little kids, it's dangerous on the street alone." Paul then pulled out a flyer with a cartoon fox saying "Remember the danger and don't talk to strangers."
    "It's best for us to be on our way"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The lead thug looked down... And then farther down as he looked at the short cop showing them posters. "Hey, who you callin' a kid, Shortstuff! Hey, Pendejo! Do you call minigolf just golf or is it extra-large golf for ya!" The two thugs behind him laughed though half-heartedly. "Get out of here ya NARC! I told you the shop's closed so how 'bout you scram!"
    James squared up his shoulders "Well I'm telling you that I was supposed to meet with the owner today." He gently beat his crowbar against his hand. "Yunno, help open up some crates."
    The thug looked past James. "That so huh? Well you're gonna have to wait like the rest of us. Dude's in a meeting right now, can't make you no shirts." He looked over at Winona "Hey! What's a fine thing like you hanging out with these punks?! How 'bout you ditch these pipsqueaks and get with a real man!" The two thugs behind him made what could charitably be called lewd gestures. James's hand tightened around his crowbar, and he forced himself between the lead thug and the rest of the group.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paul got between them and Winona. "Hey, that is no way to treat a young one such as yourself." Paul slightly push the thug as he pulled out his badge. "Now you're going to apologize to her and allow us the check the building, I have a warrant." (btw Paul is lying through his teeth about having a warrant). "You young ones don't want to disrespect the law, right?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blart Paul has failed a challenge!
    There is a second of silence when Blart brought out his badge. A second of palpable silence, the air full of tension... Before a round of laughter between the three thugs was had. "You're blowing out your ass ese! You ain't got no warrant! And we ain't doing nothing illegal, pipsqueak! So how 'bout you and the rest of your midgets take a hike, huh?"
    James squared up his shoulders more. He looked seconds away from belting the thug across his face. "We aren't going anywhere. So how about you move or I'll be the one doing the moving!"
    The thug got up closer to James's face. "Hey, James. I heard you spent a week down at the jail, a few months ago. I wouldn't want that temper of yours to get the best of you like it did last time. They might not take it easy on you this time."
    Last edited by Demonjazz; 2019-10-22 at 02:08 AM.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Winona stood back besides the car, her blank expression the opposite of yet as steady as the beaming anime faces on her tee.

"Can't we just," she began, making a point of pretending that the bouncer's catcalls had never been uttered, "see this guy after his meeting? You said he's in a meeting right?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What? You can't!" The thug stopped "I mean, you like-" The leader of the group seemed flustered as he couldn't really think of an answer for this. "I mean... Yeah, I guess you can!" He shouted obviously frustrated. He fell backward into a sitting position on a stoop. Tapping his bat idly against the wall. The two thugs standing awkwardly near the door. James standing awkwardly across from them with his crowbar.
    A minute later there could be heard vague shouting from inside the shop. From where the group was standing there wasn't much that could be made out from the voices than it being heated but the mooks next to the door look concerned before the clear shout of "THAT'S NOT MY ****ING PROBLEM!" There's a loud creak and one can briefly hear a panicked cry before a deafening crash and the ground shaking. The three thugs scrambling onto the sidewalk as a section of the adobe wall showed visible cracks from something slamming into it. Before anyone could get their bearings a jangle of keys and a bell ringing was heard as a tall man stomped his way out of the store. He was dressed in a black hoodie, a skeletal bandana pulled up over his mouth and a pair of dark sunglasses, not many defining features could be made out beside the flash of a tattoo across his right knuckle.
    The hooded man stopped as he saw the four civilians in front of him. His stance hardened as he turned towards the lead thug. "I thought I told you to deal with anyone coming through here." He said coldly.
    "You told me not to break the law!" The thug shot back defensive but obviously shaken
    The hooded man cracked his neck as he looked back towards the group of civilians. "Say anything about this, and-" The man ran a finger across his neck before letting out a short cold laugh. He turned his back as he started to walk away.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Wait up!" Paul yelled to The Tall Man. "What the hell was that all about and who are you?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

The hooded man stopped for a second. He didn't turn his head around. "I'm feeling charitable today. Let's make a deal, I'll tell you my name if you tell me yours. You'll have to figure out the rest for yourself."
    James snapping back into focus gave Blart a warning look. "Don't do that." He said very seriously.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Paul simply stood there we're good 10 seconds the area became completely silent waiting for his answer. "My name is Steven Crutchfield and you?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Calvera." Was all the man said.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

The man calling himself Calvera departed, and Winona watched him go. Then she opened the car door, retrieved her sheathed machete from the seat pocket, and reattached it onto the waistband of her shorts. She passed by James, acknowledging him with a placating nod, and walked towards the open shop door.
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2019-10-27 at 03:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The chime of a bell was heard as Winona burst into the shop. The Shop was a mess, most prominently there lay a large steel desk roughly four meters long laying against a wall, the cash register over-turned where the contents of the drawers lay mixed with bits of plaster and dust from the wall. Where the desk lay there was a large pile of clothing scattered at the base of it, the entire right half of the room had bent racks of clothing laying across the floor many pieces torn or damaged. Other than the large dents in the desk it appeared though that nothing else in the room had been damaged, and otherwise appeared to be a normal if tacky T-shirt shop.
    A man stood in a spot that from the marks on the floor and the large nails sticking up from it could be easily guessed to be where the steel desk once stood. He was a portly older man, younger than James but old enough to be your dad. It took a moment for him to notice Winona still in shock from the events. He snapped to attention though and shouted "We're closed!" and rushed towards Winona making gestures for her to leave.
    Near the man stood a woman with her mouth drawn into a pensive line, she appeared calm as she stood with her hands crossed at her front. Unlike the manager's loud shirt from one of the more touristy sections of his store. She stood in stark contrast in the dress typically associated with Mennonite or Quaker women. A full length plain black dress and her hair pulled back into a bun and covered by a headscarf. Her boots were more worn than would expect from such a woman though.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Winona stood her ground, holding up her hands to appear nonthreatening.

"It's okay sir," she said in her most disarmingly demure and empathetic voice, "I'm not here to cause trouble. Are you alright? Man, you look like you've seen a ghost, why don't you have a sit down over here."

She took him gently by the shoulder and gestured at a chair, nestled between two racks of novelty New Mexico tee shirts.
    Last edited by Garjel_blah; 2019-10-29 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Winona Tate has Succeeded a Challenge. All rolls to extract any information out of the manager gain +1 to their dice pool
    The shopkeeper not really wanting to a fight in the first place fell into the chair fairly quickly. "Good heavens. They simply do not make things like they used to. That desk was screwed down tight and that brute simply tore it out of the ground. Shoddy workmanship, I say. Just like this building." The man got back up to see James entering the store. "James! James, am I glad to see you. I had an... Altercation with a customer. You wouldn't mind helping clean up the place would you?"
    The woman in black came up behind the manager. "James, you didn't call the police did you?"
    "Yes, I assure you. Everything is under control. No need for that. Though... You wouldn't happen to know anyone willing to buy these torn shirts would you?"
    "Well the deal might be a bit bad, but I think I know someone. And I didn't call the police. Take this to the court and they'll have you up to your ears in legal fees." He grabbed one end of the large desk signalling for the others to help him. "Oh, and meet my new two new... Farmhands." He said pointing to Winona and Tomas. There was a knowing look between him and the woman in black.
    I prefer a keg of beer!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tomás had gotten ot of the car, looking at the hooded man as he left.

"Did that guy just called himself... Bald-head?" he said under his breath, before walking into the store, right behind James.

After the introduction, he walked up to the woman in black and offered her a handshake.

"Pleasure to meet you, Ma'am."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dour woman's expression remained mostly emotionless though a small smile could be seen. "It's always a pleasure to see the youth getting into the farm life" As Tomas took her hand, it was clear that near the wrists of her hands were small round wounds on both her hands just below her palms. She shook his hand exactly twice before letting go.

"So what exactly was that all about, anyway?" You could hear James questioning the shopkeeper across the room.
    "So I was trying to explain to that man, the guy in the hood that I... Couldn't make certain shipping arrangments. He wanted a uh... Very large order, you see. So I was trying to work out a different arrangement when he... Well he got a bit, uh. Heated."
    "Huh, that's a lot to get worked up about just for shirts."
    "Yeah, uh, yeah it really is."
    I prefer a keg of beer!