New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Among the Rough [IC]

"Okaaaaay...." Anjin said and he looked at the shots of whiskey that just appeared in front of him and the group "is this one of you local customs? Somebody just appeares in front of you and offeres you a glass.... is he the innkeeper? Is that how it works here on the continent?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Changed a little to correct for my mistead
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2019-10-15 at 12:36 PM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The intrusion upon Masiko's thoughts was unwelcome indeed, and the sudden arrival of another stranger put her ill at ease. He bowed to open the conversation, and though Masiko inclined her head in a bow to respond the gesture, her eyes remained locked in place on him, her features calm and fixed as a glacier, the placid stillness obscuring the force behind them.

He spoke loudly, in a grandiose manner, which the samurai found a bit unpleasant and overly braggadocios, all the more so from the familiar tone he took. She had her hand on her blade when she felt the distrubance as he conjured the first glass. As he moved to manifest more, so did Masiko. It was swift enough that the motion might even pass beyond perceptible, she simply flowed from her seated position, and now stood next to the new man, with her companions to her back.

Despite her sudden motion, Masiko's face was warm "You will have to forgive me, but you speak as if we have met, but I do not recall your face" Cool, placid. She might as well have been greating him as an old friend even though he was a stranger. Spellcasters and enchanters were allways worriesome, and there we're enough people present she didn't want a fight, and enough of her friends she knew would be quick to start one. "We've already ordered our drinks, but I appriciate the gesture non-the less. Perhaps we should start with introductions?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Summoning the drinks is either supernatural or spell like, both of which trigger AoO's. Either way, using Evasive repositioning to put Masiko between the man and the group in between his actions. She is now in melee range, and gets a free auto-suprise round if combat starts

Knowledge (Spirits) roll to identify, Sense Motive roll to get a read on him

Spirits: (1d20+14)[15]
    Sense Motive:(1d20+25)[29]
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassiah's heart skips a beat when she feels the mental intrusion. A fear appears like a cold metal ball in her chest. Her eyes widen in a flash of panic. But the voice, although grating enough to make her wince a bit, is not one familiar to her. And the looks on the others seem to imply they heard it too. Her fear subsides into a more gentle confusion.

But she only has a moment to consider the voice before the man appears. Startling, to be sure, and a bit strange. But he seemed cordial enough, and had a charismatic charm around him. She gives Anjin a noncommittal shrug to his question: who was she to decide what is normal or not?

For the time being, she studies the man in front of them, trying to judge what kind of man he is. And just a bit of admiring as well. She inspects the glass of liquor as well, judging the bright orange liquid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Cassiah recognize this? Does it indeed appear to be Abraxian Whisky (if that is something Cassiah is familiar with)?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz sits back, a calm look on his face, as the others talk amongst themselves. While there were certainly pressing concerns of his, the old man was well aware that sometimes presence alone was an important part of mentoring another.

When his mind is invaded, he sits straight up and focuses briefly while eyeing Cassiah and Aajo in concern. He does a quick double take in Cassiah's direction as she evinces some reaction to the intrusion. Just as he is about to place a comforting hand on her shoulder, a new visitor makes himself known.

As Masiko's incredible speed puts her between the man and the others, Firuz sets his hand back down, eyeing the arrival.

Let the others field their questions. Let's see who this being claims to be.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Manifesting Personal Mind Blank. I can't fail to dispense with the display.

Sense Motive on our new friend, just aiming for a gut reaction to him. (1d20+15)[29]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Within the blink of an eye Aajo appears behind the man, claws bared.

The memories of Henley's most successful attack on her tribe was triggered by that mental assault. He used spellcasters to plant suggestions in the minds of her warriors to turn them against each other. The carnage was... best to leave that alone.

She crouches, ready to spring on the man should he make any move she doesn't approve of.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart raises his eyes at the newcomer. "Interesting." he says flatly. He places a massive clawed hand on the glass of whiskey and pushes it away from himself ever so slightly. Bart then begins to squeeze slowly adding pressure in an effort to break the glass. "The good news is you have our attention. The bad news is, you have our attention."

Spoiler
    Show

Strength check to break the glass : (1d20+11)[24]

If the glass breaks, maybe an intimidation check ?

Intimidate: (1d20+20)[33]

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-10-19 at 12:35 AM. Reason: bonus formatting

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassiah blinks, then looks around at several of her companions the had suddenly and suspiciously reacted to the man. Was there something she had missed?

"Hey... folks, let's just ease back, OK? All this guy did was offer us some drinks."

In an apparent show of solidarity, she shoots back the whisky.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Anyone who interacts with it
    Show

Includes touching him, and/or the shots of whiskey
    Spoiler: Will DC 33
    Show

As you touch the shot glass, you suddenly realize it's not real, only....slightly real, it feels real, but there is something off about it, as if it were an illusion of some kind, but an illusion you can touch.

If you succeed on this, you can attempt this:
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 29
    Show

Spell is Shades

The stranger looks to Anjin with a smile, "No my good man, not all, but she is a good friend of mine!" turning sharply to Masiko, he smiles again, "You don't know me, but i know you" he winks "Indeed! Introductions, of course! sometimes I get in my own way!" he pauses then looks at everyone else "I am in the look for some goodly adventures, the Oracle of Sphim directed me to you all, she was adamant that I asked you all", turning to Aajo "even you. There is an evil afoot here in this city, a dark and brooding evil, I need your help." he says unabashedly.

Spoiler: K Local
    Show

Spoiler: DC 25
    Show

The Oracle of Sphim is located in the heart of the Oraxca jungle, an immortal spirit of the jungle.

Spoiler: DC 30
    Show

The Oracle of Sphim is located in the heart of the Oraxca jungle, an immortal spirit of the jungle, she rarely answers questions, but only to those of pure heart.

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassiah can't help but smile a bit. Getting ahead of himself was putting it mildly.

"My friend, you still haven't actually introduced yourself." She clears her throat in the same way an actor might to imply he should follow her lead. "I'm Cassiah. And you are..?" She extends her hand to the rather eccentric man.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart began squeezing the glass in his hand and realized something was off. "A cunning fake." He proclaims. It was unclear if he was referring to the glass or the man. Bart's ears perked up at the mention of evil being afoot. "Go on..."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: dark brooding evil is the worst kind of evil

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2019-10-23 at 06:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

With a wink to Bart, he replies to Cassiah: "Ah, but of course! Cassiah, it is a pleasure to meet you at last, I am an avid fan. I am known as Kendrak."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

After initially being slightly confused at the man's sudden arrival, one does not expect cheap conjuring tricks at a local inn, Anjin composes himself. The man had offered him a drink, the polite thing would be to accept it and listen to the man's story. When he touches the glass though, Anjin notices it isn't all there but still drinks it anyway or at least pretends to drink it to keep up the illusion. Though it's hard to understand why he didn't just bring them real drinks if the innkeeper really is a good friend of his.

"The oracle you say? I guess it does make sense that she is still around. Maybe fewer things have changed than I thought"

Play-by-Post Characters:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz raises his brow at Bart's proclamation before glancing toward his offered drink suspiciously. When the vague evil is mentioned, though, the traveler's attention returns squarely to the new arrival.

Which of our group is at the core of this? Are the Undead here? Iksandr? Whatever it is that trails poor Cassiah? Or perhaps some spectre of the past haunting one of the others. This does not bode well.

"Well, by all means. What sort of evil is afoot, and how can we help?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

He squarely faces Firuz and smiles, "The city sits upon it's own corruption like a tower upon a crumbling foundation, yet this holds it up with lies and deceit, as if they were rock and stone. The cities elite mine something beneath, with the labors of the undead. Go the Canaries Requiem, and find your way through the basement, it will show my proof. There is evil beneath us, perhaps some who do the bidding of Afflux...."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz nods once. "I cannot hurt to investigate, at least. I thank you for your guidance, and will appreciate your interest in seeking justice should this prove true."

The man looks at his companions with a raised eyebrow. "Well, I'm ready to head that way now. Who is with me?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cassiah raises an eyebrow, then shrugs and stands. "Well Bendak, guess it didn't take long to find you're undead. You said you can 'destroy any you encounter', right?" She smiles with the corner of her mouth that could be something of a challenge.

"Thank's for the tip Kendrak, and the drink. Doesn't surprise me that the rich and powerful feel entitled to people's bodies once they're done using them."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I do happen to have the right tool to help me against undead. I got it in case I run into an old acquitance of mine, so this might just be the perfect moment to test it out. If nobody objects to a stranger tagging along I'd more than willing to go along with everyone and investigate these mines"

Play-by-Post Characters:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Aajo looks around at her companions and considers their group acquiescence.

"If this is a trap, I get to eat this one's face?"

Yet she stands up straight and smooths back her hair.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart mulled over what had been said. "Do you have any proof ? How do you know this is happening ? Do they have permission maybe from the powers that be ? I despise the unnatural abominations as much as the next guy but these lands are strange to me, maybe this is their custom." Bart shrugged unconvinced.

"Clearly you're a man of power and means. Why not clean it up yourself? "

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Now Brother Bart, while that is certainly a question I hope Kendrak will think through on his own, it is not our place to ask it. All we can do is act upon our own consciences, take responsibility for our own choices given the information at hand."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

With but a smile, the mysterious stranger poofs away with a cloud of smoke that dissipates into nothing, vanishing into the morning air, leaving you all to your own questions, hanging in the air like dew on the morning sunrise, awaiting the powerful sun to dash them away.

The waitress comes by as if nothing is amiss, smiling to you all "Is there anything I can get you?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz narrows his eyes briefly, then turns to look at the others, mild curiosity on his face.

"Well, I suppose my previous statement stands. Who is with me? The Canaries Requiem awaits, it seems."
    Last edited by JBarca; 2020-04-22 at 09:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart waved off the waitress again. He began to worry slightly they caught on he has no money to spend. He scratched his chin with a big clawed hand.

"While I'm tempted to join you storming down there. I wouldn't mind getting the lay of the land first. Perhaps checking in with the Ifreet, if he'll even see us or one of his underlings and get their opinion on the legality of it all. I'd feel better with his blessing. If we go there we're not going to be able to investigate anything and just be tipping off who ever runs things that we are poking around. Some of you have famous faces. If you had a bunch of dead things in your basement and some strangers came along asking to see your basement, I suspect your default answer would be 'No'. Then what? we attack them without proof? The only thing I know about this city is that would be bad for everyone. We'd be killed or exiled for breaking the peace."

Bart stood up, with the intention of leaving. "I mean if I was wrong doing here, I'd be hiding it pretty well so there would be nothing to find - even if you believe kel-deck or what ever his name was. I won't stop you from investigating directly on your own obviously. But my path at least takes me to check with local authorities and figuring out what the rules are first so I can work with in them. If justice can't be found in the rules - THEN I'll throw out the rule book."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I get your point Bart, but didn't this Kendrak fellow mention something about corruption? Doesn't that mean there is a chance that anyone who is high up enough to give us the blessing to investigate is actually part of that same corrupt elite? That would not only mean we do not get the blessing you seek but would also mean we gave up the element of surprise.

Whe are all highly skilled warriors right? If we surpress our Ki than I am sure that we can do this stealthily. No storming required and the only lives that will get heard are the undead ones (in the event that we actually find any ofcourse).
    "

Play-by-Post Characters:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"First we learn the lay of the land," Aajo says quietly, but forcefully, "then we can find the path through it." With that, she moves to join Bart.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz takes a moment, then stands.

"Very well. I don't believe moving separately offers the best chance of success, so we can investigate the surroundings before moving in directly. Lead on, brother Bart."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart began leading the others away then quickly realized he had no idea where he was going. He looked around for any city guards to ask directions of.

"Anyone know their way around? "

Spoiler
    Show

Bart will wander around unless someone else takes the lead. He'll try and stop any guards. If he doesn't find any he'll wander to the front gate which he figures is likely manned.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz glances around a bit. He's not quite familiar with this district, but feels confident he can find the way if they reach a landmark. So he picks a direction and starts walking, hoping he won't have to double back at all.

"This way, friends."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Anjin follows the lead of Firuz who seems to know the way. Anjin wants to help his new found friends, there seems to be a chance this is the first interesting thing that will happen to him on this continent, but as a stranger to these lands and as someone who only arrived at this city this morning he can do nothing but follow for now.

Play-by-Post Characters:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Those of you who decided to, get up and move out, the barmaid nods to any of those who push their chairs in with a genuine look of contentment, sometimes, the small things can make the day of a complete stranger.

Moving out of the doors from the tavern, you recall anything you know about the 'Canaries Requiem', but it's not a name you know, especially, not being natives in this city. The street is a bustle already, merchants walking with carts laden with goods, most likely going to the market ward, or even to the merchant fair that was being held in the Main square this week, a troop of guards marched down the street, the crowd, peasants, and normal working people disperse before them. They came to an abrupt halt before your group, the leader barking out orders: "PLATOOOOOOON, HALT! LEEEEEEEEFT FACE!" they are all make a crisp, left turn, facing you all, most of them are disciplined enough, that their eyes do not waver, and are stuck forward, as they should be, a few wander, either from being new, or perhaps being to jaded.

One more command, and the leader turns to face you herself "AT REST!", she looks you all up and down with a frown, more perhaps, like a scowl, she has not seen you before, and she pulls out a scroll with both hands, her left hand leaving the comfort of her scimitar's hilt, she holds the scroll up to you all and unrolls it, she looks at each of you and then the scroll, as if comparing what was on it. Having apparently not found what she wanted, "Good day citizens" she says and turns back to her troop of 50 soldiers, continuing to bark orders, and march them off down the street, where they continue to scatter people in their way who are not paying attention. The soldier's all look in great shape, and march in perfect unison, armed with long thing Scimitar's, a few had wickedly wide Falchion's, in the manner of the Djinni and Efreeti who ruled this place, they seemed to be a bit larger, and a strange aura surrounded them, you would guess that they perhaps, were of efreeti heritage, or even nobles put into the guard for service.

As they march away, the street fills again, as ants going about their business, and larger bugs had just walked by.

A man on the other side of the street smiles, and walks his way through the crowd as if it were nothing, almost sauntering, leisurely if you will, towards you, he had an apple in his right hand as he approaches "You lot look like you don't belong, curious why The ol'Commander called you Citizens heh?" he said, taking a large crunchy bite out of the apple, juices dribbled down both sides of his short beard. He was short, but lean, and his garb definitely showed him as not belonging to the city, more a man-at-arms in the noble duchies of the kingdom of Gareth to the East.

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A