The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default A test that will make you loose IQ points

    https://www.topixoffbeat.com/quiz/18...utm_source=msn

    This "test" has questions like is this picture of a spatula a picture of a spatula?

    I was a good 25-items in before I gave up.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    A thread which requires us to go off-site before we can really engage in the premise. Are you sure that you're not spamming us (or some new variation on 'rick-roll')?
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-09-24 at 01:26 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-24 at 01:33 PM. Reason: scrubbed
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    A thread which requires us to go off-site before we can really engage in the premise. Are you sure that you're not spamming us (or some new variation on 'rick-roll')?
    I was expecting to see items that would be hard to identify, but ended up getting pictures with caption that say can you identify this item <then it shows a picture of some everyday item like broccoli, or a ladle>? Seriously these questions on this test are quite obvious everyday items. I blame MSN for it being on their homepage.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-09-24 at 02:09 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    It is lose. Loose means ill-fitting or not tight, lose means to no longer have.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    This could be legitimate.

    Perhaps it tests you for First Sight. First Sight, according to Terry Pratchett, lets you see what really is there.

    It is not exclusive to the Discworld. People in real life let themselves be deceived by what they want to see, or have been taught to see, too.


    ... though if you got through 25 items that it is not at all hard to see as what they really are, it might just be a test intended to make people feel intelligent.

    I will never know, because I am not willing to risk even one IQ point.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It is lose. Loose means ill-fitting or not tight, lose means to no longer have.
    Or 'to release' - so I think we are freeing IQ points, the question becomes "from whom?"

    Edit: now that is interesting - it looks as if they are data mining for something, but they are trying to be completely legal. What do I mean by that? Well access is blocked outside of the USA for reasons of international privacy laws...
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-09-24 at 03:57 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    This could be legitimate.

    Perhaps it tests you for First Sight. First Sight, according to Terry Pratchett, lets you see what really is there.

    It is not exclusive to the Discworld. People in real life let themselves be deceived by what they want to see, or have been taught to see, too.


    ... though if you got through 25 items that it is not at all hard to see as what they really are, it might just be a test intended to make people feel intelligent.

    I will never know, because I am not willing to risk even one IQ point.
    Could be machine-learning data training. Identifying objects in an image is notoriously difficult to teach a computer how to do; the 'test' could be to compare real human responses to what somebody's object-recognition program said the pictures were.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Edit: now that is interesting - it looks as if they are data mining for something, but they are trying to be completely legal. What do I mean by that? Well access is blocked outside of the USA for reasons of international privacy laws...
    Election data.

    It's that time of the year.

    I probably can't be more specific because apparently facts and news are considered politics now.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gooddragon1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    After about 80 questions and some slightly lucky guesses, 100% ("Identification Genius", "You know what a lot of things are. Great job.")

    Never had a Reuben Sandwich. After seeing it... not interested either.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Edit: now that is interesting - it looks as if they are data mining for something, but they are trying to be completely legal. What do I mean by that? Well access is blocked outside of the USA for reasons of international privacy laws...
    I know a lot of the facebook posts and stuff of the 'you must be a genius to get this right' style time-wastery is often just to find out which accounts are active and willing to interface with such stuff -- on the logic that they are also the kind of people to target for other things, nefarious or just advertising (so also nefarious, I guess).

    Did you have to log in to a media platform to take it or leave an email or anything of that nature?
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-09-25 at 07:06 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I know a lot of the facebook posts and stuff of the 'you must be a genius to get this right' style time-wastery is often just to find out which accounts are active and willing to interface with such stuff -- on the logic that they are also the kind of people to target for other things, nefarious or just advertising (so also nefarious, I guess).

    Did you have to log in to a media platform to take it or leave an email or anything of that nature?
    I just got a message saying that the web page was not available to people outside the USA, so not for being blocked, can't say for those who found a test.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    No logging in or anything (it was on msn.com). I figured that it would have interesting things to identify. Instead I get questions like "Is this a picture of a shoe or an automobile?" One everyday item, and two possible answers.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-09-25 at 07:29 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I know a lot of the facebook posts and stuff of the 'you must be a genius to get this right' style time-wastery is often just to find out which accounts are active and willing to interface with such stuff
    No, actually what they do is whenever you answer one they get all the data on you and your entire network of contacts (not all you personal data, but enough to interestingly datamine various preferences) thanks to Facebook being cavalier with it's data on you as you the user is product they sell to advertisers.

    The really nefarious part is where they get the info off your contacts too even though those persons have never interacted with whatever it was in the first place (and I am not talking about "they are connected with you" typo of info).

    This was one of the major issues of the Cambridge Analytica scandal (is the word I'd like to use).

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    No, actually what they do is whenever you answer one they get all the data on you and your entire network of contacts (not all you personal data, but enough to interestingly datamine various preferences) thanks to Facebook being cavalier with it's data on you as you the user is product they sell to advertisers.

    The really nefarious part is where they get the info off your contacts too even though those persons have never interacted with whatever it was in the first place (and I am not talking about "they are connected with you" typo of info).

    This was one of the major issues of the Cambridge Analytica scandal (is the word I'd like to use).
    That doesn't contradict what I said at all. It is additional correct and pertinent information, I will grant you that. But the 'No, actually' bit seems out of place.

    Regardless, my suspicion based on the questions asked is that it is simply a method to help machine-learning create Captcha-defeating software. But it could be any number of different things. To the OP -- I know you want to roughly say, 'look at this ridiculous thing, isn't it ridiculous?,' but honestly, you are doing exactly what these types of businesses want and incentivizing their behavior. At the absolute purist possible explanation for stuff like this, they are trying to offer you the most effortless kind of content in exchange for your attention and clicks.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: A test that will make you loose IQ points

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    That doesn't contradict what I said at all. It is additional correct and pertinent information, I will grant you that. But the 'No, actually' bit seems out of place.
    Because I don't think anyone has a particular need to figure out whether your active or not in this context. Facebook doens't have to figure out who is active, they know. And you pay for that privillege when you advertise with them. You are suggesting someone is paying for information Facebook will provide as part of their service to their customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Regardless, my suspicion based on the questions asked is that it is simply a method to help machine-learning create Captcha-defeating software. But it could be any number of different things.
    I have been thinking about that and it would make a lot more sense to use something like Amazon Mechanical Turk for that. At least if they are doing serious machine-learning stuff because then stuff like controlling for the responders characteristics will be important.
    Also, I get the feeling it has absolutely nothing to do what it looks like on the face of it. So the fact it asks you to match pictures would suggest the purpose behind it is about as far from pattern matching as we can get.

    Of course as you say, it can be a lot of stuff, it's hard to tell. So amny thousands of variants of this "quiz" thing goign around. The majority of these are trying to gather personal data to do data mining on though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •