The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Happens to Planar Travelers if the World Gets Destroyed?

I don't think Outer Planes is the same thing as Valhalla though.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I don't think Outer Planes is the same thing as Valhalla though.
    Valhalla is ON one of the Outer Planes. Presumably the CG one, but at this point that's just an assumption based on Deities and Demigods.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

I'm reasonably sure that the prime material plane is the only plane that's part of the Snarl's Prison.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Given that, from what we saw of the outer planes while Roy was dead, it seems that several generations of families exist simultaneously, so the amount of time that it takes a single soul to use up all of its use as a "battery" for the Gods is presumably at least a few generations. Since Thor legitimately thinks that The Dark One would be unable to survive to the next world, we can safely assume that it could take at least a few centuries between worlds (I'm sure a century seems much shorter to celestial beings).

I don't know if they would put in the effort to kill the remaining few beings that get off the prime material world, when they'll probably just die off due to old age at that point.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

My pet theory (which has zero basis in canon) is that weird extraplanar creatures are descendants of plane-shifted beings from previous worlds. We know the gods have come up with plenty of weird ideas over the aeons.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    My pet theory (which has zero basis in canon) is that weird extraplanar creatures are descendants of plane-shifted beings from previous worlds. We know the gods have come up with plenty of weird ideas over the aeons.
    Totally headcanon, totally made up, and totally loving it!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    We can even see someday a mad wizard that has a Theory as a pet, this Theory being a descendant from the survivors of the world where concepts and ideas were people....
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-11-05 at 09:17 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

8. - Top - End - #38

I'd guess if any planes besides the prime material were at risk it'd be the inner planes. So all the coterminous ones (shadow, ethereal) and the elemental ones (including positive and negative energy and the demi and semi elemental planes).

In some cosmologies the ethereal plane is sort of the 'plane between planes' acting as the route from the material to the inner ones, while the astral serves that purpose for the outer ones. There's also a fan theory that there'd be a plane (sometimes called the ordial plane) linking the outer planes directly to the inner planes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwolf View Post
    Their are three comics that combine to make me believe that people can live if the planer travel.
    The one with the movie snacks.
    The one where Thor explains that one of the worlds was sentient food.
    And the one with Fruitpie the Sorcerer.

Fruitpie is likely a descendant of some powerful snack that plane traveled and started a colony of some obscure plane. Like the plane of Ranch Dressing, but fruit or pie based.
    That... makes distributing the snack cakes kind of horrifying. "Here, eat these babies!"

I guess maybe you could argue that they're more analogous to animals that most people consider acceptable to eat, like chickens or something. But it still seems weird to me to be handing out things that, even if not alive, are the same shape and composition as oneself. (Yes, this is way too much thought to be putting into a joke that Rich described as literally originating in a half-remembered dream. What of it?)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

mad Re: What Happens to Planar Travelers if the World Gets Destroyed?

What makes anyone think that Hilgaya is right and she'll escape death by planeshifting? The author loves doing that DM thing where he plays NPCs according to what he thinks they should know. And he really really loves telling people that they're wrong. So it's totally in character for him to make the NPC have a false assumption and then not tell the PCs.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    That... makes distributing the snack cakes kind of horrifying. "Here, eat these babies!"

I guess maybe you could argue that they're more analogous to animals that most people consider acceptable to eat, like chickens or something. But it still seems weird to me to be handing out things that, even if not alive, are the same shape and composition as oneself. (Yes, this is way too much thought to be putting into a joke that Rich described as literally originating in a half-remembered dream. What of it?)
    It's true, then... they say the Evil One eats babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    What makes anyone think that Hilgaya is right and she'll escape death by planeshifting? The author loves doing that DM thing where he plays NPCs according to what he thinks they should know. And he really really loves telling people that they're wrong. So it's totally in character for him to make the NPC have a false assumption and then not tell the PCs.
    I doubt we'll ever find out anyway. But even if that doesn't work, there's nothing to lose by trying.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    I get your point, but i'm not sure why you're so hostile about it. The Giant is writing a story, with, like, characters and all that jazz, so, yeah, obviously, they make false assumptions, as people do. He writes the PCs the same way.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post

I guess maybe you could argue that they're more analogous to animals that most people consider acceptable to eat, like chickens or something. But it still seems weird to me to be handing out things that, even if not alive, are the same shape and composition as oneself.
    The cakes he made weren't alive at all, IIRC. So it's more like a human using Gingerbread men, or something else shaped like a miniature human but clearly not alive.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I get your point, but i'm not sure why you're so hostile about it. The Giant is writing a story, with, like, characters and all that jazz, so, yeah, obviously, they make false assumptions, as people do. He writes the PCs the same way.
    What part of that read as hostile to you?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-10 at 12:52 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, it is posted on the internet.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

16. - Top - End - #46

To be fair, it is posted on the internet.
    Ah, the internet. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The rage face smiley, mainly.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    The rage face smiley, mainly.
    Huh. I'd completely missed that until you mentioned it.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Clearly you're not familiar with B. Clevinger's dissertation on pastrylogical cosmology.
    You mean dessertation?

(ba dum tish)
    Vae Victus!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, I would think that most planar travelers would die before the next world was created, based off of Thor's comments of the Dark One running out of energy between worlds. But, also, even if they had kids, like Kudzu, they probably wouldn't be able to find enough planar travelers to keep their line going, and I'm guessing that having kids with an Outsider would make any descendants susceptible to whatever it is that the gods do to wipe the Outsiders' memories.

And, then, once the new world is created, there's a pretty good chance any planar travelers, if they somehow managed to survive, can't go to the new world. Different chemical make-up of air, life probably is based on a different element, viruses your immune system can't handle, etc.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    Well, I would think that most planar travelers would die before the next world was created, based off of Thor's comments of the Dark One running out of energy between worlds.
    Mortal planar travellers are not powered by belief in the way that gods are, so what happens to a god in between worlds has no reflection whatsoever on what happens to mortals.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    Well, I would think that most planar travelers would die before the next world was created, based off of Thor's comments of the Dark One running out of energy between worlds. But, also, even if they had kids, like Kudzu, they probably wouldn't be able to find enough planar travelers to keep their line going, and I'm guessing that having kids with an Outsider would make any descendants susceptible to whatever it is that the gods do to wipe the Outsiders' memories.

And, then, once the new world is created, there's a pretty good chance any planar travelers, if they somehow managed to survive, can't go to the new world. Different chemical make-up of air, life probably is based on a different element, viruses your immune system can't handle, etc.
    Simply being born on the planes makes you a planar which also means less energy from your worship and why the gods don't encourage it and also why they pay more attention to affairs on the prime.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Simply being born on the planes makes you a planar which also means less energy from your worship and why the gods don't encourage it and also why they pay more attention to affairs on the prime.
    Do we know that information about the nature of being born on the planes applies to this world?

Regardless I agree with the premise that any survivors from a destroyed world would not matter much to the Gods, at least from a belief-worship perspective. My rationale is that at a maximum there may be a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand who escape, and even if they are all very devout clerics, they still would make up a miniscule amount of the worship a God needs to survive. That and we have no idea how long the Gods wait between worlds, so it's also possible that a lack of genetic diversity would result in the small communities of survivors not lasting long.