The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3] A Little Trouble in the Big Pear - OOC

Using a hero point to reroll the failed save.
    Fortitude reroll - (1d20+10)[20]

Can I use Interpose to take the hit from the arcs instead of the hostage?
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-10-08 at 05:57 PM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    I don't think she's poorly built, this is just a bad set of circumstances for her.
    Good. I was worried for a minute.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    The very good perception rolls and the monologue gave each of you 1 full round of action.
    Not posting IC tonight because there are still two players that have not taken their actions and I am guessing that we might be rolling for initiative soon.

If I am wrong then Joule will try to shield John Doe from further blue electric arcs using the doors so that he can complete the rescue.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

will have a reply up soon, been struggling with my computer

also, on 223 in the book there is a damage resistance matrix. it seems like you only get -1 on any one instance of damage opposed to -1 per stage of failure (instead it translates to dazed/staggered/incapacitated). So I went with that.
    Last edited by SquirrelWizard; 2019-10-08 at 11:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    To decide if the person currently closest to her was friend or foe, Lapis entered Agent Fox's mindscape.
    Ok, so how this work?
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Ok, so how this work?
    I pretty much enter your mindscape like this, except with mental projection rather than advanced technology:

Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-10-09 at 06:23 PM.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

You pretty much need to say what I see, as its your subconscious.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, doing my best here, bit put on the Spot but hopefully it'll cover the scene

Spoiler: In The Mind Of Fox
    Show

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Pulling from these descriptions in Fox's complications, bolding added for emphisis

“Further Information Is Not Available Here” To protect against paradox inducing events, knowledge of past, present, and future must be strictly controlled. Field Agents are imprinted with psychological and technological modifications to prevent accidental breaches of information. Attempting to communicate classified knowledge that could potentially result in the generation of frag will instead result in the Agent instead stating the information neutral sentence “Further Information Is Not Available Here”. Agents also include the sentence as part of their natural speech patterns to further disguise what information they do and do not possess about the nature of the continuum.

Out-Of-Time: Though physically and genetically human, Jenny’s mind is a very alien place compared to most levellers (Non-time travelers). She can come across as absent-minded, distant, or intimidating due to her understanding of the larger continuum of time. She has difficulty establishing real relationships and tends to be off-putting. This is further exacerbated by her use of time-traveler linguistics which can be unclear to levellers.

Fox's mind presents itself as a city, one that would look more in place sometime in the roaring 20's, though far cleaner than an real city could be, almost sterile. The structures seem intuitive and sensible on the surface, but fold upon themselves in Escher-esque ways. There is a sense of order, but one which is hard to grasp, as memories and thoughts are shaped in 4-Dimensions. A traveler in this realm will often find themselves split across many different viewpoints at once, all occurring simultaneously, or looped such that effect precedes cause. Inside the mindscape there is a forbidding sense of being unwelcome, of intrusion, and a paranoid surveillance. Artifical mental constructs roam about, appearing as a total absence of information, a humanoid void wherever knowledge is censored. Indeed, if you explore long enough, you might get a sense of much, much larger aspects of the mindscape that seem entirely inaccessible, like an ocean under the city. Fox's mind is not a pleasent place to be in, and the experience of traveling through it should be constantly disorienting. The rules and laws of this place are ironclad, but nobody is going to explain them to you, and the punishment for violating them is severe. A current of stress runs under everything, an acute awareness of the stakes at play. Isolation seems to be the norm, rather than the exception, and though the details are obscured, you can probably tell that Fox has killed many people.

Spoiler: Recommendation
    Show

I don't know what the consequences of being inside Fox's head when she shifts time would be, or what would happen if she experiences frag, given that paradox is partially derived from awarness in changes to time, but I can't imagine it would be good.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, doing my best here, bit put on the Spot but hopefully it'll cover the scene

Spoiler: In The Mind Of Fox
    Show

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Pulling from these descriptions in Fox's complications, bolding added for emphisis

“Further Information Is Not Available Here” To protect against paradox inducing events, knowledge of past, present, and future must be strictly controlled. Field Agents are imprinted with psychological and technological modifications to prevent accidental breaches of information. Attempting to communicate classified knowledge that could potentially result in the generation of frag will instead result in the Agent instead stating the information neutral sentence “Further Information Is Not Available Here”. Agents also include the sentence as part of their natural speech patterns to further disguise what information they do and do not possess about the nature of the continuum.

Out-Of-Time: Though physically and genetically human, Jenny’s mind is a very alien place compared to most levellers (Non-time travelers). She can come across as absent-minded, distant, or intimidating due to her understanding of the larger continuum of time. She has difficulty establishing real relationships and tends to be off-putting. This is further exacerbated by her use of time-traveler linguistics which can be unclear to levellers.

Fox's mind presents itself as a city, one that would look more in place sometime in the roaring 20's, though far cleaner than an real city could be, almost sterile. The structures seem intuitive and sensible on the surface, but fold upon themselves in Escher-esque ways. There is a sense of order, but one which is hard to grasp, as memories and thoughts are shaped in 4-Dimensions. A traveler in this realm will often find themselves split across many different viewpoints at once, all occurring simultaneously, or looped such that effect precedes cause. Inside the mindscape there is a forbidding sense of being unwelcome, of intrusion, and a paranoid surveillance. Artifical mental constructs roam about, appearing as a total absence of information, a humanoid void wherever knowledge is censored. Indeed, if you explore long enough, you might get a sense of much, much larger aspects of the mindscape that seem entirely inaccessible, like an ocean under the city. Fox's mind is not a pleasent place to be in, and the experience of traveling through it should be constantly disorienting. The rules and laws of this place are ironclad, but nobody is going to explain them to you, and the punishment for violating them is severe. A current of stress runs under everything, an acute awareness of the stakes at play. Isolation seems to be the norm, rather than the exception, and though the details are obscured, you can probably tell that Fox has killed many people.

Spoiler: Recommendation
    Show

I don't know what the consequences of being inside Fox's head when she shifts time would be, or what would happen if she experiences frag, given that paradox is partially derived from awarness in changes to time, but I can't imagine it would be good.

My character isn't very smart, but if she can sense Fox has killed many people, she may think you are a villain. Lapis will probably look for a bar or hotel of some kind to seek further information on what's going on.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

My character isn't very smart, but if she can sense Fox has killed many people, she may think you are a villain. Lapis will probably look for a bar or hotel of some kind to seek further information on what's going on.
    Further information is not available here

Thinking Fox is a villain is fine, she's certainly a less black and white hero than other members of the cast.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Further information is not available here

Thinking Fox is a villain is fine, she's certainly a less black and white hero than other members of the cast.
    I wonder if I could do something like this, Inception style—ie, go into the mindscape of one of the characters in your mindscape:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5z6fxw

Would I pull more information that way, maybe?
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Not posting IC tonight because there are still two players that have not taken their actions and I am guessing that we might be rolling for initiative soon.

If I am wrong then Joule will try to shield John Doe from further blue electric arcs using the doors so that he can complete the rescue.
    You can roll for initiative.

But with the way PbP works, I can have to resolve things before everyone posted.
    So don't complain if I have to alter the order a bit for dramatic effect or simple practicality.

I wonder if I could do something like this, Inception style—ie, go into the mindscape of one of the characters in your mindscape
    I already told you that it won't be possible, if only for sanity reasons.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

As an FYI Johel, remember due to the power stunt, both Carapace's Hearing & Olfactory senses are Accurate, meaning unless they have concealment vs Scent & Sound, he takes no penalty hitting them.

However, I do just want to give you a 5-Star rating on that post, I can totally see that as a two page splash spread in a comic that cuts from the action for a day in the life of Hydra goon # 7. I shouldn't be sipping coffee when reading your updates!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    As an FYI Johel, remember due to the power stunt, both Carapace's Hearing & Olfactory senses are Accurate, meaning unless they have concealment vs Scent & Sound, he takes no penalty hitting them.

However, I do just want to give you a 5-Star rating on that post, I can totally see that as a two page splash spread in a comic that cuts from the action for a day in the life of Hydra goon # 7. I shouldn't be sipping coffee when reading your updates!
    Noted for the multiple very accurate senses.

I got a vivid feeling of Mook Horror Show each time Carapace is involved.

I really didn't expect Carapace to just easily drag monologue boss in round 1.
    What happened after was both horrific and funny as hell.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

I forgot what was going to do in the mindscape, and leaving now seems cheap.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Rolling saves vs frag from Temporal Adjustment

DC 25
    Will 1:(1d20+10)[24]
    Will 2:(1d20+10)[11]

Was always using temporal adjustement, even said so in my last post, so that is fine.

I forgot what was going to do in the mindscape, and leaving now seems cheap.
    Idk, investigate around? Look for dark secrets? Just hang out in what is (obviously) the coolest brain in town, and appreciate how awesome it is? I'm unclear on what the limits of your ability are other than mechanical effects, which need to be covered by other powers.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

I am going to reiterate the OP-ness of Teleport Attack, it's a save or die attack. Against Damage, you need to fail by 4 degrees to be Incapacitated in one shot, effectively removed from combat. Vs a Teleport Attack it's what, you need to hit their Dodge and if they fail their Dodge resistance check by 1 they are effectively removed from Combat? And now we want to allow the Teleport affect to *also* take devices away?

That's a wicked cool concept, very cool visual, but the mechanics are broken. Want to disarm room full of minions, buy Area Burst Strength and actually disarm them? Want to teleport someone into a harmful environment, buy damage variable descriptor (time shennanigans), want to remove someone from combat buy it as an affliction, vulnerable, defenseless, and transformed (out of state). That way they need to fail by a significant degree to be removed from combat, rather than fail by 1.

Also, Attack needs a relatively common effect that blocks it entirely, curious what that effect is?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

I am going to reiterate the OP-ness of Teleport Attack, it's a save or die attack. Against Damage, you need to fail by 4 degrees to be Incapacitated in one shot, effectively removed from combat. Vs a Teleport Attack it's what, you need to hit their Dodge and if they fail their Dodge resistance check by 1 they are effectively removed from Combat? And now we want to allow the Teleport affect to *also* take devices away?

That's a wicked cool concept, very cool visual, but the mechanics are broken. Want to disarm room full of minions, buy Area Burst Strength and actually disarm them? Want to teleport someone into a harmful environment, buy damage variable descriptor (time shennanigans), want to remove someone from combat buy it as an affliction, vulnerable, defenseless, and transformed (out of state). That way they need to fail by a significant degree to be removed from combat, rather than fail by 1.

Also, Attack needs a relatively common effect that blocks it entirely, curious what that effect is?
    I did say the disarm was optional based on GM ruling, so if its to much, thats fine by me. and while I know the range is in miles, I'm not using it for that, I'm shuffling around a room.

for this case, I think the 'things that can actually be moved' is a pretty good effect. anything with even incorporeal 1, or being really heavy, or fixed in place, or just to dangerious to actually touch flat out blocks it. Things that Fox is unaware off entirely would also work (where as normally area effects don't have that limitation).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll agree, but you have that applied as a Flaw (-1/Rank) when it should be baked into Attack (+0). However, that still doesn't address the mechanical benefit of a save or die type effect, that with a failure of 1 degree can remove an opponent (no matter PL) from combat. Whereas with a Damage effect an opponent needs to fail by 16 or more. That is a *HUGE* statistical advantage for an effect that is +0, which is why Movement Powers with Attack are broken.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

I'll agree, but you have that applied as a Flaw (-1/Rank) when it should be baked into Attack (+0). However, that still doesn't address the mechanical benefit of a save or die type effect, that with a failure of 1 degree can remove an opponent (no matter PL) from combat. Whereas with a Damage effect an opponent needs to fail by 16 or more. That is a *HUGE* statistical advantage for an effect that is +0, which is why Movement Powers with Attack are broken.
    Yes, but I wouldn't actually use it to fully remove an enemy specifically because its broken. The temporal shuffle was statted out based on the listings in the Time Power Profile, so since that was an official source saying how they felt the effect should be built, that is what I went with.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

So is Reaction Teleport which effectively invalidates having Dodge or Parry at all. Because they list a certain mechanic doesn't mean it isn't broken. You say you wouldn't but you just teleported two targets out of combat, had they not been minions any other character would need to achieve four levels of failure on a resistance check to do the same thing, you just need one.

Statistical advantage Attack Extra over Damage, and that isn't balanced. /shrug. Not my game, I've said my piece and don't want this drawn out, but I certainly feel as though you don't need us and that isn't a great feeling for what is supposed to be a team oriented game.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I’m going to do a perception roll, as soon as I look up how to do that. I’m used to playing pathfinder, so part of my slowness is having to stop and look up rules.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d20+6)[10]=perception
    (1d20+6)[22]=will

Did I roll right? I’m just browsing right now. Sorry I’m less familiar with the system than I thought I was.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    a woman who looks like she's off the cover of a fetish/fashion magazine says "They're all right there."
    Says captain Smurf.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

At least neither of you are getting mutant frog monster! :P

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

So while I was going through my sheet to finally post again, i noticed I mathed wrong a bit.

For one, Blend In has 6 ranks put into Enhanced Stealth, which would make it +12. And even then it's worth 11 points (Will-resisted Morph is 4, +6 for stealth, and then +1 for Hide in Plain Sight) but I have it as 13 (which doesn't really matter since it's an alternate power but still.

I'm going to fix it and add it to my first post.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

@Zhentarim : The rolls are perfect, as you probably guessed

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So while I was going through my sheet to finally post again, i noticed I mathed wrong a bit.

For one, Blend In has 6 ranks put into Enhanced Stealth, which would make it +12. And even then it's worth 11 points (Will-resisted Morph is 4, +6 for stealth, and then +1 for Hide in Plain Sight) but I have it as 13 (which doesn't really matter since it's an alternate power but still.

I'm going to fix it and add it to my first post.
    No problem : as you said, doesn't have any impact.
    I saw a couple of things like that in other sheets but let it fly as it costed no additionnal PP and had no impact on actual rank.
    Fun first, fluff second, crunch third.

Deciding she had had enough, Lapis leaves the mindscape. Her exit places her square in front of the other metahumans. In her default form, she confronts them, ready to fight them. She is not sure who the good and bad guys are, but she’s pretty sure what she saw in the mindscape was a villain’s mind.

”Halt evildoers, I am a hero!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Joule
    No conditions

Kimi flies over to the window to see what the big thing was going off to do.
    Just in case, you both roll initiative.
    Maybe the Pink Trickster will let Joule pass through.
    Maybe she won't. And if that's the case, better know how you'll handle it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

She won’t.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

She won’t.
    Lapis will not let Kimi leave the room or will not interfere with Kimi leaving the room?

If Lampris does something to prevent Kimi from leaving then Kimi will use thermal energy sense (Penetrates Concealment) to monitor what Carapace is doing with the two mercenaries.

Initiative roll:(1d20+4)[22]
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Eatting them! Mwah hahahaha!

Nah, he's approaching the police barricade and dumping them off.