New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3] A Little Trouble in the Big Pear - IC

John walks into the room, glancing at the gunman. He was no threat, but that machine... He considered his options. He could destroy or disconnect the generators, but there was no telling what that might do. He could fly the machine away from the city, but without knowing why the man was inside that could be a terrible mistake. And at the back of his mind, was the accident, the day he gained his powers and hundreds died because fools tampered with things they did not understand. He'd never been very technically minded, perhaps one of the others would be more familiar with this kind of technology than he was and would have an idea for what to do.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Sawbones
    HP: 1
    -1 to resist damage

V'Rak sizes up the situation. He pulls a narrow scalpel from his pocket and takes careful aim at the bound man within the machine. Drawing back his arm, he throws the blade with surgical precision, aiming to sever the bonds without harming the prisoner.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Using knife throw. Precise modifier means I should be able to perform delicate tasks (such as freeing a prisoner) with it

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Joule
    No conditions

Joule enters the room and looks around. "This might be liquid nitrogen for cooling, we should be careful with the shutdown procedure."

To the remaining gunman "What is your intention here?"

Show
    Using Telekinesis (Move Object, Precise) to remove the gag from the person in the center of the device.
    Also will look around for a computer interface.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-10-04 at 10:58 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Top of a building, somewhere in Churchtown District

"-Not up for a chat, are you ?
    Well, we can discuss this at the station, I guess. Witness or suspect, it's up to you, really.

She taps her ear with one hand while reaching her belt with the other.

"-Unit 78. I got one. Possible backup needed. Activate live feed and be ready.

She then proceed to advance, showing a pair of handcuffs.

"-Still not feeling talkative ?

------------------------------

Jefferson Park, somewhere in Churchtown District

R, R & R's main offices are located near the Docks. A tube line goes there, going through a few stations near Downtown, Whitman and Stadium.
    ferrying workers shifts but not being used for much else. It's not a 5 miles trip so that's not long : maybe 15 minutes.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't planning on having a scene there but no problem.
    Should you wish to do something else now, at the present location of Lamprey or in any other location you can reach in under 1 hour, I'll let you roleplay it freely.
    If you need more information, I'll provide by PM. You just have to ask questions.
    Sorry for you being out of the action : I really didn't consider the impact of Time Stand Still.

TyronChem, 4th Floor

As everyone enters the room, they can feel an heat wave washes upon them, much like if they had stepped outside a cool, air-conditioned office and directly into a scorching desert. Joule, being familiar with energy estimations, can tell that thermals are probably around 50°C (122°F). It's not comfortable, you feel your lips being parched and your skin tickles as moisture dries out. But it isn't life-threatening for a few minutes. You could probably stand there all day if you had a steady supply of water. Mind you, it's only the average ambient temperature and those cooling tanks Joule mentioned are probably for something about you not being roasted alive right now. Carapace doesn't seem affected at all. V'Rak probably feels very active, what with being cold-blooded and all. Joule can adjust her resistance level. John Doe and Pandora feel the full furnace but they both have ways to cope.

The bindings of the victim are loosen with precise strikes from the giant gecko while the masked girl with the weird accent removed the gag.
    As soon as he is freed, he screams "Thank you", right before an electric arc zap near him, eliciting a startled shriek out of him. The mental struggle between fleeing away from the machine or standing still to avoid being electrocuted is physically visible on him.

Pandora sees that the machine is a weird blend of technology and magic indeed.

Spoiler: Wizardbabble
    Show
    While she cannot say much about the technological side, she can see the people who made the array probably didn't understood ANYTHING about what they were doing. Sure, they got a few things right but it looks more like a mock-up imitation of someone's inaccurate schematics than the work of an actual practitioner of the Art. The way it is set, magic only runs wild around the torus before mostly disappearing in the Nether, with only a small, inefficient build up in the pillars. Some of the marks and psychical glyph seem to suggest their is a release trigger or something but no artifact which could possibly do it is visible. Should it be done, however, the most likely result would be a wildly uncontrolled catalyst of magic at the very center of the torus, followed by a wide dispersal of whatever essence wasn't consumed by whatever ritual or spell was intended here. Since the array is faulty, this means basically all of the essence would disperse. How wide it would do so is hard to estimate without a closer look at the pillars themselves, as they are the pieces of this puzzle that would define the upper limit of how much magical essence could be gathered. But for what Pandora can currently see it, there is right now enough essence for the effect to reach a mile radius, maybe a bit more.

Whatever would the effect be is a mystery but it wouldn't just slowly dissipate the further away it got like an explosion.
    It would be uniform over the whole area for whatever duration it lasts. This is both a blessing and a curse.
    A blessing because to maintain a spell's uniformity over such a wide area, you need to lower the actual intensity of the potential of the spell.
    A curse because if the spell's effect is nefarious AND powerful enough, the casualties would be in the tens of thousands.

The way the array is set, whoever or whatever would be at the center of the torus wouldn't be affected by the spell itself.
    This is NOT a good news : given the resonance between the various catalyst-pillars, the area at the center of the torus would most likely be erased from Creation.
    It doesn't look like it is a desired feature of the design so the people who built this probably aren't even aware of that.

Prometheus's Flame could probably counter the whole thing but it would be all about timing.

Joule sees computers near the big lever.
    They are (miraculously) undamaged.

Mercenary :
    Look, I can see I'm outgunned here. It's just a job for me : I ain't living, I ain't using the paycheck ever.
    So let's calm down. I'll go my way, you do whatever you and your friends are here for. Nobody needs to die.
    Well, nobody else but you got me, right ?"

He is not letting go of his weapon.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-06 at 04:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Carapace
    Hero Points: 2 Luck: 2
    Conditions: None.

While the others were concerned with the man restrained within the high tech apparatus, Carapace, slowly wandered to the imbedded door, he looked at the carnage, and emitted an odd, keening sound. Sorrow? Regret? Remorse? The young man within the monster, railed against the breast's programmed agression, whose screams of no! No! NO! went unheeded by the massive body his consciousness inhabited when the transformation occured. While outside he'd been able to extert some semblence of control, maintain the concentration necessary to override the Carapace's natural instinct to revel in the carnage. However, on seeing the innocent man trapped within the machinery had brought back memories of his own capture, the testing, the procedures, the pain, lord, the PAIN! And in that moment of weakness, the creature's aggresion had slipped out, slipped through, and had, casually, ended a man's life. So Quentin mourned the man's death, mourned his part in it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary
    "Look, I can see I'm outgunned here. It's just a job for me : I ain't living, I ain't using the paycheck ever. So let's calm down. I'll go my way, you do whatever you and your friends are here for. Nobody needs to die. Well, nobody else but you got me, right ?"
    The babbling brought him back, he swiveled his massive head, and took three lumbering steps towards the man, his monstrously large shoulders brushing the ceiling as he hunched down to not destroy the room while the other's began to investigate the apparatus that held the man. The stooping form of the monster brought it's massive head closer to the mercenary's face as it closed on him, and it swung it side to side in an obvious 'No,' all the while exhaling a thick, bitter steam of breath through it's nostrils. And then it placed a giant hand on the mercenary's back, the sheer weight of it driving him to his knees, as it lifted a finger to it's lips, in a gesture even the youngest of children would recognize as a parent telling a whimpering child to be silent.

OOC: Free action to switch my array to my Speed, thereby ending the Immobile & Vulnerable condition, moving to the mercenary, and taking a 10 on a Grab check, giving me a 16 to hit. DC 22 Dodge or Strength Check to escape. I am *not* doing any damage, but I am positioning myself so that if he wants to take a shot at anyone he more or less doesn't have a field of fire other than myself.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

The Pink Trickster became incorporeal and fled inside the building, and seeing the other heroes, shrunk down as small as she could before becoming corporeal again.She didn’t know if these were good guys or bad guys, so she moved silently behind the group (as silent as she could), and attempted to read the mind of the person closest to her, trying to be careful to not be noticed.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The gunman shut up, with an audible **GLUPS** coming from his throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not rolling for the gunman : Carapace grab him automatically and he doesn't want to try to resist, given the monster had a very humane gesture instead of chewing his head off.

Everyone can make a perception check, please.

If Joule or somebody else wants to use the computer, you can make a technology check.
    20 or more leads to the latest commands being displayed. It also let you play with the user interface of the machine.
    25 or more leads to the whole project's logs being displayed. It also show the latest commands and let you play with the user interface of the machine.
    A natural 1 makes the cooling system fail critically.
    A natural 20 makes the machine shut down properly without any incident.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

So, something had to be done to get the man out of the machine, but it seemed moving too much was dangerous for him. It was already stiflingly hot, so tampering with coolant seemed ill advised. "I can pull the power, that should shut it down right?"

(1d20+6)[7]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Joule
    No conditions

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Roll that was requested.
    (1d20+6)[12]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Joule will be using Environment Control to drop the temperature around just herself to a more comfortable level as she does not want to recklessly interfere with an unfamiliar system.

Looks like John Doe made it to the computer while Joule was busy examining the system. Will wait to see what happens with that nat 1 before making a longer post.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Show

Waiting for some information on if I can do something with extra effort + maybe a hero point.

Requested Perception Roll (1d20+8)[9] for the time being.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Pandora
    Hero Points: 1
    Condition: Vulnerable

The magic contained in this machine could not be allowed to just "release." It was exactly stuff like this that mages like Devan, her mentor, policed the mundane world for, what she got roped into so many years ago.

In the sweltering heat, Pandora threw her cloak back over her shoulders. Beads of sweat glistened on her forehead as she hazard a quick glance to those around the room before yelling, "I'm going to try and dispel it!" Seething green flames flared to life in her hands as she mentally started to form the spell in her mind. "Hold onto your butts!"

Magical energy swelled around Pandora, as her body lifted into the air. On the ground below her, runes and sigils began to etch in glowing concentric circles as if inscribed by a steady and precise hand. As Pandora spoke, her voice resonated with eldritch power as she weaved her magics into the toroid before her. Sweat poured down her face and magic fire seared through her being, as she mentally wrestled with the magics, attempting to steal them away from their current form and draw them to herself. Under normal circumstances she could dispel individual parts of the toroid one at at a time, but the timing, the precision needed to pull this off without slagging the city with unleashed magics, required her to take it all on, not just target things piecemeal. She'd have to push herself to accomplish this. It was a risky, but Pandora was certain she could handle it.

Mostly Certain.

"THROW... THE LEVER! KRONK!" Pandora yelled as she felt her spell take hold.

Show

• Free Action to change Current Weal and Woe Array Power: Prometheus's Flame
    • Using Extra Effort on Prometheus' Flame for Alternate Effect Power Stunt
      Spoiler: Prometheus' Flame Area Variant
      Show

Rank 9 Prometheus' Flame (Area) (2/rank) (19pp)
      1/rank base
      +1/rank Area (burst) (+1 Area Range to cover the circle) (60ft burst)
      +1/rank Simultaneous
      -1 Side Effect (Self Magic Damage = to rank of effect nullified)
    • Spending Hero Point on Nullification Roll (roll 2, take better, +10 on second roll if 1-10)
    • Prometheus' Flame AOE edition nullification check vs the Toroid (1d20+9)[17], (1d20+9)[11]
    • Stamina Check to resist incoming damage (1d20+2)[9] (Glyph of warding is physical only, this is going to suck)
    • Detect Magic: See magic, pierces illusions. Pandora is Vulnerable
    • Glyph of Warding (7 Impervious toughness vs physical attacks)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Sawbones
    -1 to resist damage.

Having successfully freed the prisoner, V'Rak stands back as the Û-mans attempt to disable the machine. He busies himself by looking at the device and trying to ascertain its function.

Show
    It looks like the other supers have things in hand (or can't be prevented from screwing this up, if for whatever reason the device is a good thing.
    I'll just try to figure out what this doodad is, or at least what the high tech parts are. Assuming a Technology check (correct me if that's wrong).
    (1d20+10)[14]
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-10-07 at 12:12 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Pandora :
    "I'm going to try and dispel it!"

Green flames licked Pandora's arms as she walked to the machine.

Pandora :
    "Hold onto your butts!"

As she starts threading magic around the machine, Pandora feels a slight resistance but her skillful touch manages to overcome it.

Pandora :
    "THROW... THE LEVER! KRONK!"

She pulls the lever and the intensity of the Prometheus' Flame grows stronger and stronger as she invests more of herself in it, until it blossoms into a silent pulse, dead at the center of the arcane circle, making the air shimmers as it does and temporarily muting all sounds as reality is bent sideway.
    Everything, including the heroes thoughts, slows down as the pillars glow bright crimson. A mere second or several hours, none couldn't tell. But when it all came back, the noise of the machine working was back, a low constant roar as the cooling system worked its routine.
    Then a few dreadful words :

John Doe :
    "I can pull the power, that should shut it down right?"

A distinctive, panicked swearing can be heared :

Oh shiiiii...uut

Not a voice anyone heard yet. But everyone did hear it.
    In fact, some heroes did a bit more than that :
    Carapace, though he could see nothing, manage to smell the concealed human.
    Missmash, in a moment of rare awareness, managed to feel him through the very vibrations of the ground.

Only John Doe is clueless as a blue electric arc hits straight above him.

...Well I guess that's it then.
    I should thank the purple freak for making it easier for me : with the eggheads disappearing like that, I really had no clue how I was going to destroy that thing without causing something really bad.
    Anyway, I SHOULD but I won't, what with the "leave no witnesses" order and all, that would feel a bit hypocritical, don't you think ?
    Although I saw you going through my boys down there and I really don't want to fight you all on my lonesome...

The air shimmers again in five different places, each of you feeling sluggish for a second... or maybe more.
    Then it comes back, with a feint ringing in your ears.

...So let's even the odds, shall we ?

In the back, the machine keeps buzzing, though the pillars and the torus are now inactive, with no more red electric arcs visible.

Spoiler
    Show
    The very good perception rolls and the monologue gave each of you 1 full round of action.
    Your opponents are completely invisible through sight but you can pin-point them through other means.
    As long as you don't see them but can guess their position (Perception roll higher than 14 during the round), you can attack but with -5 to hit.

Through Continuum Monitoring, Agent Fox is aware that some space-time manipulations are at play.

Hero Points :
    Pandora : +1 because Curiosity Kills was played through. Had you failed that check, the whole district would have been hit.
    Carapace : +1 because Disability was worked around and kept in character.
    I check the other characters for complications but didn't find something specific.
    If you think you deserve a hero point, please make explain in the OOC and I'll see what is to be done.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-07 at 03:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3] A Little Trouble in the Pig Pear - IC

Lamprey
    HP: 1 | Condition: Normal.

News of the violence near TyronChem has spread, and while one or two people were actively discussing it, the rest of the passengers offer it the level-headed analysis that New Delphines are famous for. Which is to say, mild confusion from one or two and a fierce, burning indifference from the rest of them. It's like an orchestra, if all the musicians are playing lullabies to themselves. He has the attention of a few of the more perceptive folks around him, and realizes that he's still broadcasting pretty strongly.

And he was a little bit nervous, to be completely honest.

This isn't the most ridiculous thing he'd ever done. Not really. He'd done some weird mental gymnastics because of his intuition before to work through a case.

But here he was, in a train, headed to the docks to scope out and potentially infiltrate an office building on what amounted to circumstantial evidence at best. Most of the stuff he did toed the line of being illegal, but this might actually be over it.

Still, it wouldn't be good to draw so much attention to himself. He takes a few meditative breaths to settle his nerves, and centers himself among the cacophany of the other passengers on the train as he settles his own aura down, and then takes it a step further.

All humans show a base level of empathic ability, a certain consciousness of the emotions of others around them. And like adjusting the volume and frequency of his own aura like a radio, he could tap into that consciousness and adjust how he was perceived. Or, in this case, not perceived. After turning down his "volume," he finds a "frequency" that most people ignore parse and just sort of... leaves it there. Whatever he's truly feeling is muffled by the shifting static, and sure enough, the few eyes that were on him find something or someone else to look at.

Show
    Activating Blend In on the train.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-07 at 04:35 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Sawbones

V'Rak shouts, "Who there? Show you self!" at the invisible adversaries. At the same time, he withdraws needle and thread from his coat and stitches his bullet wounds shut.

Show
    Switching array to Field Surgery and healing myself. (1d20+9)[14]. That should be good enough to remove the -1 damage resist.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-10-07 at 08:41 AM.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Carapace
    Hero Points: 3 Luck: 2
    Conditions: None.

Carapace released his grip on the gunman, feeling the man was sufficiently cowed, and unlikely to flee for fear of life and limb. He did however, turn his attention to the disembodied voices coming from above them in the room. He looked around, unable to see them, or even their heat signatures, his monstrous face contorting into a confused look. However, even as he did so, Quentin noted that his combat form changed, adapted to the environment, to the threat arrayed against him, and suddenly, the clarity of the room flooded him, the scent of the gunman's fear, the sound of his heart beat, the ionization of the atmosphere coming off of the blue skinned hero, the odd, almost medicinal scent emanating from the tall, reptillian alien, and something ... else. THERE!

He looked directly at it, the apertures on his face flexing open and close as it tracked his scent, before it's mouth opened revealing purple-blue gums, and a wicked array of jagged, razor sharp teeth the size of a man's palm. As it bellowed it's displeasure towards the concealed speaker, thick, ropey strands of mucus and phleghm spattered the ceiling of the room the group was assembled in.

SKREEEE-ONGK!!!

It's massive arm shot out, right where his new found senses told him their assailant was, in an attempt to savagely grab the form, drive it into the ground, and pin it their with his praeternatural strength.

OOC: Going to use Extra Effort, with Extraordinary Effort for two effects. The 1st is a Power Stunt an Alternate Effect off of my Senses, 7, which is as follows: Senses 6 ([Olfactory [Accurate, Acute, Ranged], Hearing [Accurate]). As Olfactory is Radius base, and Hearing is Radius, Range as base, this gives Carapace TWO accurate senses with which to target the Invisible foes. I will use my Standard Action to Startle the one who is speaking; rolling my Intimidation of +16, (1d20+16)[21], opposed by Target's Insight or Will. If successful the Target is Vulnerable against my next attack. I will then use the 2nd effect of my Extraordinary Effort, to make a base Attack against the target, +6 Attack, DC 27 Toughness if successful. (1d20+6)[18], due to Fast Grab if the attack hit's target is Grabbed, DC 22 Dodge or Strength check to escape.

However, due to using 2 aspects of Extra Effort, Carapace will be Exhausted at the start of his next round, with the option of spending a HP to ignore 1 level of Fatigue and drop it to Fatigued.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-07 at 09:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Using a smaller but more concentrated version of her powers, Lapis created the illusion of a giant flying vulture-like zombie who began mercilessly attacking one of the gunman. The illusion smelled, looked, sounded, and felt real, and would even taste real to the gunman, and even physically hurt him when the attacks landed, but was only in the mind of the gunman, so only the gunman could see it or interact with it in anyway.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGirl

Missmash

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP: 0
    Condition: Fine
    Current composition: 95% Asphalt, 5% other

Current Dynamic Stats:
    -TGH +9, FORT +6, STR +14
    -DGE/PRY +9, CC (Unarmed) +5, ACR +5, "Flight" 5

So...probably not evil, then?

He certainly wasn't like, thrashing around and trying to eat them or anything, so Missmash mentally noted down a solid "probably not evil" for the big monster dude.

She was a little surprised to find so few guards when she rushed into the room with the others. The majority of them must have gone downstairs to deal with that other faction of thugs (and, subsequently, get dealt with themselves). Didn't make for very exciting action though, monster guy and grappling hook woman had dealt with one and gotten the other to surrender before she even got through the door!

That big magic-machine-looking-thing was obviously real bad news (and, maybe, the sort of thing her brother might find informative?), but then purple demon chick did some kinda magicky thing, the machine did...something, and then...

There. It was just the slightest tremor, but she'd felt it, right as that voice started coming out of nowhere. And then a moment later, there were more. Clones? Lackeys? She allowed herself a small grin. Now this might get exciting.

"Invisibility, huh?" she said as her hidden enemy finally finished yakking. "Sorry, bud, but I got a little trick for that."

She gave her heel a little twist, and the shifting asphalt texture making up her form began to drain into the floor, rapidly spreading towards her invisible adversaries in tendrils and blooms (that parted around the other supers, of course) as the floor was transformed, the concrete texture of the floor rushing up into her to fill the space left behind.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    Move: Transform the floor in a 30ft radius around her using Material Girl, excluding the space under the other supers she can see. (I'll say she's standing roughly 10ft from the door, if that's alright...?)

Standard: Transformation Blast. DC20 Dodge save + DC20 (DC15 on Dodge success) Fort save vs. (Vulnerable, Defenseless, Paralyzed) for all enemies in the area.

---

New Composition: 95% Concrete, 5% Other

Asphalt to Concrete seems like a negligible hardness/density change, so I'll say her stats stay the same.
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz414; 2019-10-07 at 10:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Joule
    No conditions

The gunmen were just hired help that could not really do much to the supers that arrived on site so Joule was careful to use non-lethal means to disable them.
    Now that something with power is threatening to leave no witnesses it is time to get serious.

"Show yourselves."

Show
    Going to try electricity sense first on the shimmers.
    Telekinesis: Move Object 10, Subtle, Precise, Accurate 5, Throwing Mastery 2
    To try to pick up the large double door (or part of it) that was thrown across the room earlier and sweep it through the shimmers.
    Trying for an area effect similar to the mechanics for dropping objects listed under the Create power.
    Using the Subtle to try to keep them guessing as to who is doing what.
    I would like to maintain the hold on the doors and not let them go crashing into some other part of the building or piece of equipment doing even more damage.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

John lifts off the floor, hovering a few feet in the air. He has no idea where the speaker is, yet, but he wasn't the priority. "Okay, someone give me a reason not to knock out a wall and carry this machine into space!"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The Machine Room

"Who there? Show you self!"

V'Rak shouts at the empty space while bandaging his wound, effectively stopping any residual bleeding and getting back into the fight.

SKREEEE-ONGK!!!

"-What the... ?!!"

There !! The sound is just what Carapace was missing to pinpoint where to reach for. His hand finds a human arm where only empty space should be.
    The man is pulled up, then down, then up again, moved around like a doll in the maw of an overexcited puppy, before finally colliding against the ground in a surprisingly gentle manner...which is still far too brutal for most human to endure. Yet endure, the mercenary does, even though something breaks in a shower of sparks. For a brief moment, a blue and purple translucent egg the size of a man shines brightly where Carapace's hand is... then the egg explodes like a soap bubble. The hand of Carapace is fine, safe for a light tickling. Even if he cannot see his captive, the monster can feel a limp form hanging weakly. Through the improved hearing, Quentin can hear a low curse.

"-Bullsh** mutant frog-thing..."

Soon after, his form starts to appear as concrete is slowly eating at his legs and torso.

"-Oh come on…»

"Show yourselves."

With a sickening suction sound, the damaged door rises in the air, revealing in all its gory glory what remains of Carapace’s first victim. The stain on the wall briefly stick to the steel panel, two shoes hanging there being the only clue that it used to be a human being.
    The door swings across the room where Missmash’s transmutation hasn’t taken effect… and three loud impact sounds can be heard. They are followed by the voice of John Doe :

"Okay, someone give me a reason not to knock out a wall and carry this machine into space!"

Nooooooooo !!!
    The screams came from both previously-bound victim, who is still busy trying to get out of the machine, and the mercenary whom Carapace had ordered to stay silent.
    The later reaches to his mouth with both hand, throwing a worried look at the monster who is "playing" with his boss.

"-Someone shot that oversize smurf before he..."

Out of nowhere, five blue electric arcs crack to life, aimed in the general direction of John Doe, who lazily flies out of the way of the first two, only to be hit by the next three.
    And then the light went out for the mercenary boss.
    Meanwhile, somebody screams something about an undead bird eating his eyes…

Spoiler
    Show
    The rolls for you all to see

John Doe :
    3 Fortitude checks against DC20, please.
    Fortitude Check DC 20
    If failed, you loses the difference in Dexterity.

Since you only used a move action, you still have a move action or a standard action if you want to.

Carapace :
    You have now your hand around an arm attached to a mass of concrete bound to the ground, with the face still visible, as Missmash had to let him breath.
    You feel exhausted as the biomecanics of your suit are taxed to their limit.

Pandora :
    You are staggered and -3 in Toughness from the effort.

Joule :
    The door hits three mercenaries while going through the motion.
    You have however no idea if they are lying on the ground or still fighting

V'Rak :
    Since you only used a standard action, you still have a move action if you want to.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-08 at 07:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

All Praise to Nuffle, if it be your will, let me pass these rolls.
    Fortitude 1 - (1d20+10)[24]
    Fortitude 1 - (1d20+10)[12]
    Fortitude 1 - (1d20+10)[28]

John throws off two of the beams, but feels himself growing sluggish after the third. What...what was this? Gritting his teeth, the matter-manipulating gateways in his cells surge and fight off whatever it was that struck him. There was still someone in that machine, he couldn't see whom was trying to stop him, but he could see what needed to be done. John flies into the center of the device, placing a hand on the man's shoulder. "I'm going to get you out of this thing, try to stay calm!"
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-10-08 at 05:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

As he flies, John finds it hard to keep his balance. Keeping his focus on its intended destination is harder. He does manage to reach the center of the machine without problem, though.

"I'm going to get you out of this thing, try to stay calm!"

Spoiler
    Show
    John Doe :
    12 against 20 means 8 PP lost in Dexterity.
    You are at -4 in Dexterity.
    Please be advised that, should you fall to -5, you'll be defenseless, immobilized and stunned.
    You will recover +1 Dexterity every two rounds.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Lapis keeps the illusion going, continuing to deal damage to that particular baddy.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sawbones

V'Rak still has no targets, so he turns back towards the assembled heroes. He notices that the purple Û-man is injured. He's not sure how, they were fine a moment ago. He walks over to them. "You injured. I can heal?" Without waiting for a reply, he draws his tools and gets to work.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Moving to Pandora and using field surgery
    (1d20+9)[18]
    That's 2 degrees of success, so the two worst conditions are removed.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-10-08 at 11:06 PM.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Pandora
    Hero Points: 1
    Condition: Vulnerable, -1, fatigued (stagger + daze removed by Sawbones?)"

Nailed it! **** that hurts! the triumphant thought passed through Pandora's head as she groaned, every fiber of her being sang out in pain from containing the magical backlash. She had slumped to the floor after the spell and was propping herself up on one arm as she whispered another spell. She felt weak as the sigil appeared on her forehead floating between her horns, that was a good sign, it meant she was recovering. Hazarding a glance up she tried to make sense of who had been talking if she could, while trying to appear like the least likely threat in the room, holding off on any action as she mentally added Ow... Let the other guys do the heavy lifting for a bit

Show

• Free Action to activate Glyph of Mending (-1 in 5 rounds), -2 strength
    • Free Action to change Weal and Woe Array Power: Lampad's Torch
    • Perception to maybe see invisible people with magic/illusion concealment? (1d20+8)[15]
    • Deception to "leave her, we've got bigger fish to fry." (1d20+7)[24]
    • Detect Magic: See magic, pierces illusions. Pandora is Vulnerable
    • Glyph of Warding (7 Impervious toughness vs physical attacks)

Last edited by SquirrelWizard; 2019-10-09 at 07:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Agent Fox
    Condition: Undamaged
    HP: 1 + 3 (Scene Edit)

So, this wasn't just a normal super-science lab raid, this was a lab raid where the bandits had time-bending tech. It looked pretty primitive from this side of it, small scale directional dilation, basically a tunnel used for getting from A-to-B faster, rather than full directional time modulation. Primitive or no, that kind of tech didn't belong in the hands of any leveler in this current age, and so she had to shift mentally from 'this is just a weird batch of bad guys' into 'this is a weird batch of possible narcissists'.

The difference was really one of degree. Up until this point, Fox would admit, she was only going at maybe 50%. Playing softball because she didn't want to push herself to far with time bending just to clean up a robbery. Sure, it was nice to get involved, lend a hand, and be a contributing member of the community, but none of that was worth much on the big-picture. But with the proof of paradox inducing events and anomolous tech, she could take the kid gloves off.

Stepping forward towards the center of the room, Fox had to speak loudly to be heard over the ongoing super-brawl taking place in the room, but she had no real issue speaking authoritatively. "This is Agent Fox of the TSA. You are all under arrest". It was a pretty clear blanket statement, and if these crooks had any understanding of just how out of their depth they were, should be enough to end the fight here and now.

Show

Readying an action to use Temporal Adjustment during the next volly of shots from the bad guys. When that happens, Fox will stop time and then use the beams to locate the shooters, and then while time is stopped, move them in the path of their own shots so they hit themselves.

Move action to Trick to try to get the bad guys to target me.

Deception: (1d20+8)[26]

Frag is removed at present.

High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

To decide if the person currently closest to her was friend or foe, Lapis entered Agent Fox's mindscape.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Pandora :
    Nailed it! **** that hurts!

Pandora slumps on the floor, whispering a few unintelligible syllabs while a sigil appears on her forehead floating between her horns.
    She looks around and manage to catch a very light shimmer in the air. It lasts but a moment before disappearing but whoever did so doesn't look interested by her.
    The old "Damsel in Distress" trick worked fine.

V'Rak :
    "You injured. I can heal?"

A bit too well even, as a giant gecko just hopped near her and started to prode with scaly hands, sharp blades, needles and strange vials.

Meanwhile, the mysterious woman with pale hair advanced in the open, striking a pose as she spoke :

"This is Agent Fox of the TSA. You are all under arrest"

"-Lady, we ain't in no plane !! Out of your jurisdiction much, ain't ya ?"

This prompted a laugh, which was roughly in the area Pandora had seen the shimmer.
    Four beams erupt from their guns, just as a brief, small headache hits Fox's right temple. A fifth one erupts in the direction of Carapace... and hit him dead center, electricity coursing through the massive body..

Meanwhile, the heavy metal door flies toward John Doe, placing itself right behind him as some kind of improvised shield.
    It follows John around while he is catching the man at the center of the machine and bringing him back to safety behind the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fox : Will resistance check DC13, please
    Carapace : Fortitude resistance check DC20, please

Fox's Mindscape

Lapsis had shifted.

It was something she used to do for fun, at the beginning, until she understood the impact of doing so: the damage she does here will echo through the memories and personalities of the person she is visiting the mind of. She can also be in real danger sometimes, as each mindscape was unique and some were really ugly, dark places, full of dwellers not unlike Ssila'meshnik in their hunger and mindset.

This mind, luckily, does not look like a mental hell.

It is a large city, with impeccable streets stretching for miles upon miles, without end. Each is clean, almost sterile, without a single speck of dust on the ground. At each step that Lapsis takes, a loud echo propagates itself in weird ways, an oppressive, heavy feeling of intrusion dawning upon the young girl. Ghostly shapes travel silently, acting out what must be memories. Whenever Lapsis pass through the ghosts, the sound is heard. Then, as soon as the holographic image travels away, the sound stops, much like a television with the volume suddenly switch on then off.
    There are a lot of memories, a city worth of them, dancing in the streets, each obvious to each other. Some suddenly vanish while other appear out of nowhere, hovering aimlessly… or is there a rhythm Lapsis cannot yet grasp?

The Pink Trickster then encounter a blurry ghost, one made of grainy images. When it passes through her, the sound is but a long, high pitched noise with little variation in tune, except for the droning of "...TION IS NOT AVAILABLE HERE. FURTHER INFORMATION IS...". It is awfully uncomfortable but it stops as fast as she exists the memory. She enters a building and end up in an infinite corridor…which she reach the end of in mere seconds, only to be faced with four similar corridors, each going a different way but ending on the same, open door, beyond which the exact same street can be seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    And that’s one round of mindscape for you.
    Please make an investigation check if you are looking for something specific.
    Please make a perception check and insight check if you are observing at random.
    Please make a will resistance check to avoid a surprise.

Slowed Time

Fox sees the beam's light, the blue cracks of electricity that are flowing at full speed to her. Light has always been a problem in time dilatation. Too much dilatation and it stops traveling, becomes a physical barrier and doesn't reach the eyes, which means the brain is effectively blind. Too little and some other physical effects can still be a pain to deal with. At the setting the average TSA Chrono-Badges are operating, objective time slows down by a factor of 30000. This means a single light particle is still traveling at 10000 meters every second. It's the same for electric arcs. Fox can only duck low as the beams hit the wall behind her, the visible effect only reaching her retina a small fraction of a second slower than normal while the ozone smell that follows is much delayed.

Everything else is standing still : the monster's surprise roar as one of the electric arc hit him on the torso, the masked girl standing still right behind, the blue hunk still hovering slightly over the ground as the civilian is touching the ground, an afraid yet grateful look on his face, the horned demon knelled on the ground, the gecko manipulating a strange torture implement while pulling his tongue out in concentration,... and the five Narcissists, or rather the shape of them. She can see the hot air trying to adjust as they pass through it. They are obviously wearing a cloaking device of some sort but she saw when the beam came from : the air currents are still visible where the shots ionized the oxygen.

Moving them was harder. The first one was a real beast and even though time was slowed, he resisted a bit, unconsciously... and that made it hard enough that Fox gave up. The second, third and fourth went easily enough. The last one, the one that had fired at the monster... he was just too hard to move too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since you want to move people, let's use Temporal-Adjustment rather than Time Stand Still.
    Basically the same result, since it's an area effect.

You can move one of them over a distance of up to 1 mile because he failed both the Dodge and Opposed Strength checks.
    You can move two others over a distance of up to 500 feet because they succeeded the Dodge but failed the Opposed Strength checks.
    The two others failed the Dodge but succeeded the Opposed Strength checks so they do not move at all.

Also +1 Hero Point for “It’s not THAT TSA”
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-11 at 05:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Carapace
    Hero Points: 3>2 Luck: 2>1
    Conditions: Fatigued.

Energy surged through the massive form of Carapace, grounding out in the floor, the creature seemed to slump for a brief second, before it seemed to tap into some reserve of strength and a monstrous hand lashed out, grabbing his assailant and forcefully introducing the near invisible threat to the floor.

OOC: As requested, Fortitude Save, at +12, (1d20+12)[13]. Luck Re-roll. 32! On his action Carapace will spend a HP to negate 1 level of Fatigue, bringing him from Exhausted, to Fatigued. Then move to the one who attacked me, and grab him by an ankle bashing him into the one I have pinned to the suddenly malleable floor. Accurate Attack 2, giving me +8 Attack, Rank 10 Damage (DC 25 Toughness), (1d20+8)[26], however, with Fast Grab, if he is hit, he must make a Dodge or Strength Check DC 20, or be grappled with my other hand.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-10-11 at 06:29 AM.