The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    My group is starting a Saga Edition Rebellion Era game and I'm wondering about playing a Melee focused Scout (that uses a splash weapon to help make up for her comparatively inaccurate shots) I want to use ranged weapons when necessary but I want to primarily fight through Melee ambushing.

    Is this even viable? Here are my full stats

    Spoiler: Character
    Show

    Female Devaronian Scout 6
    HP (48+5d8)
    Fort:21. Ref: 23. FF: 18. Will: 19

    STR 19. INT 19
    DEX 11. WIS 16
    CON 18. CHA 9

    Talents: Watchful Step; Forward Patrol; Mobile Combatant

    Feats: Martial Arts I (granted bonus feat)
    WP: Simple, Pistol, Rifle
    Shake it off

    Predictive Defense; WP: Advanced Melee Weapons; Brilliant Defense; SF: Stealth; Recurring Success (Brilliant Defense); Conditioning (may replace with Careful Shot)

    Skills
    Climb+12
    Endurance+12
    Jump+12
    Knowledge (Tactics)+1
    Knowledge (Life Science)+12
    Knowledge (Galactic Lore)+12
    Mechanics+12
    Perception+11
    Survival+11
    Stealth+13 (Bonus trained skill)


    I just wanted to play something that was doing something other than being a Commando before she joined the Rebellion; she is a melee specialist because energy cells last longer on vibro weapons than blasters and they are (in lore at least) much quieter than blasters; and less likely to scare off the beasts of the galaxy she loves to watch and observe. Hence the knowledge (Galactic Lore & Life Science) skills.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Pros: well-defended, brings utility/support.

    Cons: isn't much of a threat to enemies.

    Info: Climb/Jump can be eclipsed in usefulness in favor of equipment post level 6, if the campaign features the standard amount of wealth/shopping.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldstreak View Post
    Pros: well-defended, brings utility/support.

    Cons: isn't much of a threat to enemies.

    Info: Climb/Jump can be eclipsed in usefulness in favor of equipment post level 6, if the campaign features the standard amount of wealth/shopping.
    I'm not sure if we'll be able to shop as we are Rebel commandos; so I want to be prepared for most obstacles. Is there any way I can make myself a threat without changing much (I can change the last two feats and take them later; although I am planning on going officer because I I've taken the leadership role on a dare.

    I was thinking of taking the Veteran talent tree and doing charges later.

    The party has a heavy weapons specialist with a jetpack; a demolition expert; and a tech expert and slicer; I am surveillance and executive leadership; with one variable. (I won't ask anyone else to change their characters around; its been a hassle just to get one of them to share their planned character before we play- despite the fact that we'd know each other long enough to know what we can do and how we work together (because our survival literally depends on that)
    Last edited by Awakeninfinity; 2019-09-27 at 06:48 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    It may be best to see if your GM prefers numerous weak opponents, or few strong opponents before investing in talents/feats/gear for threat.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldstreak View Post
    It may be best to see if your GM prefers numerous weak opponents, or few strong opponents before investing in talents/feats/gear for threat.
    Numerous lower level threats; slowly upscaled as we level; with the occasional exception from time to time. At the very least that has been how he has DM'd the last few years.

    If I did want to increase damage; how would I go about doing that?
    Last edited by Awakeninfinity; 2019-09-28 at 08:16 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Against multiple weak opponents, Cleave tree + mobility is effective in melee. Works best if your teammates are on it too - I take it yours aren't, but cherrypick what's useful. Also, integrate a shockweb in your armor if said weak opponents try to fight back with melee.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show

    [IMG][/IMG]


    For ranged "splash" backup, look into the double-barreled blaster carbine: reasonably priced, threatens attacks of opportunity, 2x2 area.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldstreak View Post
    Against multiple weak opponents, Cleave tree + mobility is effective in melee. Works best if your teammates are on it too - I take it yours aren't, but cherrypick what's useful. Also, integrate a shockweb in your armor if said weak opponents try to fight back with melee.
    Spoiler: Example
    Show

    [IMG][/IMG]


    For ranged "splash" backup, look into the double-barreled blaster carbine: reasonably priced, threatens attacks of opportunity, 2x2 area.

    I like this- although unfortunately; I am very unlikely to be able to have other party members help out in melee; but I didn't know about the double-barrelled blaster being so cheap; I'll ask my GM about using it.

    I'll switch out my last two feats to start that chain up though; that will likely prove very useful.

    Any tips for role playing leadership as a scout?
    Last edited by Awakeninfinity; 2019-09-29 at 11:33 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakeninfinity View Post
    I like this- although unfortunately; I am very unlikely to be able to have other party members help out in melee; but I didn't know about the double-barrelled blaster being so cheap; I'll ask my GM about using it.

    I'll switch out my last two feats to start that chain up though; that will likely prove very useful.

    Any tips for role playing leadership as a scout?
    Calmly guide teammates in situations they rely on your expertise. Speak in detail if needed.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    So I've gathered a list of Feats (For a class that offers Advanced Melee Weapon Proficency; Scout really lacks melee feats)

    I swapped Recurring Success with Power Attack;

    Spoiler: Feats continue from level 7
    Show

    Sol 1: AP:Light
    Lv 9: Recurring Success (Brilliant Defense) it fits far to well to not have.
    Sol 2: Cleave
    Lv 12: Follow Through
    Sct 8: Dive for Cover
    Lv 15: Powerful Charge
    Sct 10: SF: Perception
    Lv 18: TC:: Advanced Melee Weapons
    Sct 12 Stand Tall


    Spoiler: Here are Talents
    Show

    Sol 1: Tested in Battle
    Off 1: Born Leader
    Off 3: Tactical Savvy
    Sol 3: Reckless
    Sct 7: Long Stride
    Sct 9: Sidestep
    Sct 11: Swift Strider
    Off 5: Commanding Presence


    Does this seem solid?
    Last edited by Awakeninfinity; 2019-10-03 at 03:52 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Star Wars Saga edition Melee Scout help

    Any tips for power attacking as a Scout?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •