The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Houston Strong (Dresden Files RPG, FATE)

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show

HOUSTON STRONG

That phrase has been repeated since the devastation of Harvey, a hurricane that passed through and nearly destroyed Houston in 2017. It was a tragic event that shattered many lives and families, but Houston remained strong through it all.

What most people don't know, and what the White Council does, is that Harvey was not a natural storm. While they were busy with the aftermath of the war with the Red Court during this time period, things have since settled, and they want answers.

The regional commander, one Warden "Wild" Bill Meyers, has set up a hefty price on any information that leads to the eventual discovery of what exactly transpired that late summer, which has attracted all sorts of curious folks including you. Whether you're Texan Natives, out of towners, or Houstonians yourselves, you've answered the call of Wild Bill, and decided to work together with compatriots you know from your past in order to find out more.

Spoiler: Crunch / Big Sixteen
    Show
    While I am taking liberty with the Dresdenverse timeline, I have artistic license as GM. So hush.

I've already started working on the Themes and Threats of Houston, some locations, and some faces, though we'll work together to finish off our wonderful, half sunken town.

FAIR WARNING: Some of the locations in the city details are real places, and some of the stuff in there may be construed negatively. For those of you reading, the faces of these places are not real, and in no way, shape, or form represent the people that actually work there. I have nothing but respect for my town, and everyone who calls it home, and I just want to tell a fun story set in the Dresdenverse, not this world.

Spoiler: City of Houston Details
    Show
    Spoiler: Themes and Threats
    Show
    THREAT: Under the Boot of the Red Court Fomor

While Texas has been a bastion against the major infection of America by the Red Court for centuries since they were pushed out during the Texas Revolution, Houston is one of the main, strategic strongholds against the vampires. However, since the Red Court's destruction, the Fomorians have been taking the Red Court's place, vying for power in Houston due to its proximity to the ocean. In the supernatural side of things, the city is a warzone against the Fomor.

THREAT: Strange Things in the Gulf

The Gulf of Mexico, of which Houston is a port city of, has contained a strange, psychic residue ever since Harvey struck in 2017 that so for no Wizard or Scholar can identify. Reports by a few wardens who investigated the area tell that their best guess might be a fractured Ley Line, but they could not find anything conclusive. The White Council is offering a hefty reward for those who can aid them in the search for what lies beneath.

THEME: A Place of High Reasoning

While NASA is the largest mundane example of intellectual prowess blossoming in Houston, the city is a trove of supernatural learning as well. On the Nevernever side of things lies a Barony of the Seelie Court that contains a massive library. It is said that this library contains all of the written knowledge of the Seelie Court, as well as some of the greatest mortal works, including the lost plays of Shakespeare. That being said, Houston is, under the definitions of the Unseelie Accords, a place that Summer controls, and all others are considered guests of the summer court, and subject to its laws.

THEME: Houston Strong!

It's impossible for me to describe this phrase in earnest to a non-Houstonian. This city means so much to so many people, and everyone who is touched by this phrase shares a camaraderie with hundreds of thousands of people who share the same ideal. That being said, when you guys come to blows with native Houstonians, ten more will band together to stop you, even if those native houstonians are blood-thirsty demons. People who call this city home won't loose it, to anyone or anything. Tread carefully.

Spoiler: Locations and Faces
    Show
    Spoiler: Houston Public Library
    Show
    Theme: Service through Law

The HPL is a massive repository of resources and knowledge, as well as the best crossing point to get into the Summer Barony in the Nevernever. However, both it and the Barony take the law and the practice of it very seriously. If you perform misconduct in its borders, you will be thrown out.

Face: Baroness Sylvia
    High Concept: Bookworm Sidh Baroness

Spoiler: Lakewood Church
    Show
    Threat: Houston Gullible!

The Lakewood Church has a reputation of a veritably decent organization, but under the tutelage of the new Pastor, one revered Father Maxwell O'Connor, something seems amiss about it. The man is shifty, and seems to know a great deal about the supernatural than he should for a mortal.

Face: Maxwell O'Connor
    High Concept: Reverend Charlatan

Spoiler: Briar Forest
    Show
    Theme: Houston United!

On the edges of West Houston, Briar Forest lies as a series of neighborhoods that provide shelter to the poor all the way up to the upper class. They also constitute the Black Knights, a neighborhood watch organization that banded together during Harvey by various homeowners in the area. The leader of this organization, Sean Mayhew, has started to figure out that things are not what they seem on the surface, and has been leading expeditions to start thinning out the more hostile supernatural creatures in a veritable crusade. Briar Forest is a place where most Supernatural Types don't visit often, and is unofficially neutral ground for supernaturals who visit there.

Face: Sean Mayhew
    High Concept: Peacekeeping Mortal

Spoiler: The Storm Drains
    Show
    Threat: Post-War Profiteering

The Storm Drains of Houston are massive interconnecting tunnels that run all across the city that dump into various bayous and reservoirs. When it's not raining, however, it contains drug dealers and various other criminals that do business in the shadows. The largest of these gangs is The Drug Congregation of Beat Saints, who are starting to sell supernatural potions to the highest bidder, giving small-time warlocks and wardens alike products that only make the underground war more deadly.

Face: Jet Nelson
    High Concept: Gangboss with a Magic Touch

Spoiler: Big Sixteen
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Dresden Files RPG by Evil Hat!

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Modern fantasy set in the Dresdenverse a few years after Changes

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Four would be swell

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Right here on the Giant

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 10 Refresh, 35 Skill points, capping skills at +5

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? You can make resource rolls if you want weird stuff. Otherwise, stick with the book.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Anything goes! Misfits are coming to Houston of all shapes and sizes, it's up to you how they look. I'm not even restricting you guys to templates, as long as you have a good, lore friendly reason for your character's abilities, then I'm cool with it.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? See question 7

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Go by the Core Book

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? As long as you guys can get along, up to you

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? See question 7

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Make your own rolls you lazy people

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Nothing seems to pop to mind.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Please give me explanations for your aspects, as well as a one paragraph catch-all background for your character. We will do crossing paths aspects once we have an OOC thread.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? In the spirit of the Dresden Files, it will require some puzzle solving in the form of investigating, some hack n' slash when a building needs to explode, and some moments of deep, character driven RP.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Anything up to the Paranet papers is free game.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Houston Strong (Dresden Files RPG, FATE)

Of course, I'm interested if you'll have me!

First thoughts are leaning towards some sort of ghost - (With 10 Refresh it could be a threat not far off Leonid) That could be fun to play with, even if it is something of a disadvantage in a few circumstances. I could be linked to one of the other characters through death, perhaps even having been murdered by them if we want a Lawbreaker.

Lingering Ghost
    Spoiler: Ghost
    Show
    Spirit Form [-3]
    Swift Transition + No Mortal Home (+1) [-1]
    Ghost Speaker [-1]
    Incite Emotion (Paranoia) + At Range (-1) + Lasting Emotion (-1) + Potent Emotion (-1) [-4]
    Supernatural Toughness + The Catch: Vulnerability To Fire (0), Easy To Access (+2), Anyone Can Find Out (+2) [0]

Otherwise, a take on some variety of Shapeshifter would be interesting?

Werebear
    Spoiler: Werebear
    Show
    Beast Change [-1]
    Human Form [+1]
    • Claws [-1]
    • Hulking Size [-2]
    • Inhuman Speed [-2]
    • Inhuman Strength [-2]

Echoes Of The Beast [-1]
    Mortal Stunt: Bear Arms

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Werebear
    I have to be partial to this one, if I'm not it'll spoil my ursine image.

On the serious non-jokey Celticbear side of things, I think the Ghost would be quite interesting, and a fun challenge RP-wise.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    I have to be partial to this one, if I'm not it'll spoil my ursine image.

On the serious non-jokey Celticbear side of things, I think the Ghost would be quite interesting, and a fun challenge RP-wise.
    You know, I didn't realise where I got bear from until just now.

I do think I'd possibly prefer the ghost, though the idea of playing the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I do have to put this in my signature now, you do realize this?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Very interested. I think I'd be bringing in a half-kitsune of some kind, who thinks she's just a werefox who happens to have some remarkable ability to mess with heads. (Mechanically, she's got incite emotion confusion pretty high, so she can do some serious work between that and social skills.) Very much a face type, though at this refresh I can afford the weapon upgrade to incite emotion to actually do some damage with it. She'll also be very, very sneaky in fox form.

And yes, Celticbear, you may recognize Akane.

Requesting a custom stunt: Tell Them What They Want To Hear - +2 Deceit when your lie is something that the target specifically wants to believe is true.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-09-26 at 06:16 PM.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd lovew to take part! I've got a couple ideas I'm torn on - either the vanilla mortal daughter of a monster hunter, or a demigod (in the greek sense, where they were basically just A++ humans), a daughter of aphrodite, and kind of a mess because of it.

If you have any opinions on which one you'd prefer, feel free to share.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Very interested I want to play a nerd who stumbled into magic if that is cool

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I am so interested! I've never played and don't own the books but I would like to learn. Should I get Accelerated, Your Story, or Your Story/Our World bundle?
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    I am so interested! I've never played and don't own the books but I would like to learn. Should I get Accelerated, Your Story, or Your Story/Our World bundle?
    you'll want the Your Story/Our World bundle. Your Story can be a bit confusingly laid out, so if you have any questions, just ask here in the thread and we'll help you how we can.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Lotsa questions, I love it! Lemme see if I can answer em all...

Quote Originally Posted by ylvathrall View Post
    Requesting a custom stunt: Tell Them What They Want To Hear - +2 Deceit when your lie is something that the target specifically wants to believe is true.
    Yup, that sounds alright for Akane

Quote Originally Posted by Halae View Post
    I'd lovew to take part! I've got a couple ideas I'm torn on - either the vanilla mortal daughter of a monster hunter, or a demigod (in the greek sense, where they were basically just A++ humans), a daughter of aphrodite, and kind of a mess because of it.

If you have any opinions on which one you'd prefer, feel free to share.
    Hmmm, I'm torn. Both sound pretty nifty, but setting-wise, the VM Monster Hunter seems more probable. Over the Dresden books, most of the Old Gods have sequestered themselves. BUT, anything goes, and I think your idea of a daughter of the Goddess of OTP's would be heckin' interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombranti View Post
    Very interested I want to play a nerd who stumbled into magic if that is cool
    Now there's a lot of connotations with that which you can go with. Perhaps his source wasn't exactly legal in the eyes of the white council? Maybe he stumbled into fey business, and somehow came out on top? Just some ideas to help stoke your fires of creativity.

While I partially agree with Halae saying you should get Your Story and Our World, I'd be so bold as to say you should probably pick up the Paranet Papers if you're planning on playing a spellcaster. It clarifies some rules as the spellcasting in Your Story may be a bit confusing at first to newcomers.

However if you're planning on starting small, and being a werebear or something, I don't think you need to pick up PP

I regret acronyming that XD

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Putting in interest for this. Thinking going for a Seelie faerie or a vampire of some sort. IDK quite yet.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Excellent. Here is Akane Katsuki. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Posting interest with my usual DFRPG character.

Thalia Bowers

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    BASICS

Name: Thalia Bowers.
    Template: Emissary of Power.
    Refresh: 3.

ASPECTS

High Concept: An Artist Inspired By Literal Muses.
    Trouble: Errand Girl to the Greek Gods.
    Aspect 1: Everybody Deserves a Chance to be Happy.
    Aspect 2: Tongue of Silver, Heart of Gold.
    Aspect 3: What Do You Mean I'm Not a Superhero!?
    Aspect 4: Our Family Restaurant Gets Some...Interesting Customers.
    Aspect 5: A Dove Among Peacocks.

SKILLS

Superb (+5): Performance, Presence.
    Great (+4): Empathy, Rapport.
    Good (+3): Alertness, Investigation.
    Fair (+2): Resources, Lore, Scholarship.
    Average (+1): Endurance, Athletics, Conviction, Contacts, Craftsmanship.

STUNTS

Battle Dancer (Performance) [-1]: Substitute Performance for Athletics for purposes of physical defense.

Unshakable Confidence (Presence) [-1]: Substitute Presence for Discipline for purposes of mental defense.

Prevent Pain (Performance) [-1]: When using Incite Emotion to perform a Block against an attack that would cause physical or mental stress or consequences, on a failed block, reduce the total Stress by 2. If this reduces the Stress below 1, treat the attack as a successful Maneuver instead.

Remove Pain (Empathy) [-1]: Use Empathy to justify recovery of moderate or severe mental or social consequences.

POWERS

Muse's Inspiration: Marked by Power [-1].

Inspire Joy: Incite Emotion (Joy; uses Performance rather than Deceit) [-1].

Artisan's Tool: Item of Power (Hard to Conceal) [+2].

The Perfect Tool for the Job: This power expands upon the basic It Is What It Is power of Items of Power. The Artisan's Tool can change shape, form, and function, and even make cosmetic changes to Thalia's own appearance or that of other willing subjects, to limited degrees (see the full description of this power in the Fluff spoiler). When using the Tool to as part of a Performance Composition, rather than simply creating it at her skill level, Thalia can roll a normal check and use its result if better (so she always creates compositions that are at least Superb, but using the Tool to focus her inspiration may randomly be able to perform at a higher level) [-1].

Focused Inspiration: Incite Emotion gains At Range [-1].

Augmented Inspiration: Incite Emotion gains Lasting Emotion [-1].

STRESS

Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    Social: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] (+1 Mild Consequence)

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    BASICS

Height: 5'5".
    Weight: 115 lb.
    Hair: Blonde.
    Eyes: Hazel.
    Skin: Fair.

ASPECTS

An Artist Inspired By Literal Muses: At the core of Thalia's identity is that she is an artist, a performer. While her purpose and powers may be primarily about the spreading of joy, she does so through the medium of song and dance, through written and spoken word, through crafts that engage the eye and food that delights the tongue. Thalia was raised on stories, spent her childhood singing and dancing and playing instruments, and grew up to work as a chef and entertainer. She's always been a passionate and creative individual - but now she's been blessed by the Muses with supernatural inspiration and the power to induce joy in others, taking her works a step further. This Aspect is generally invoked when performing or creating art, or wielding her Muse-gifted powers of joy.

At the end of the day though, Thalia is an artist. She's not some learned wizard or mighty supernatural being, and while she's had a fair few brushes with danger natural and otherwise since gaining her powers, she's not all that experienced with the hazards of a more adventurous lifestyle. This Aspect can be invoked against her in situations where her lack of experience with dangerous situations or supernatural beings could be particularly disadvantageous, or compelled to cause her to make blunders that a better-trained or more experienced hero might avoid.

Errand Girl to the Greek Gods: The blessing of the Muses does not come free. Thalia is expected to spread beauty, joy, and art, which while not exactly a responsibility she's opposed to, does still carry a certain amount of time investment. And beyond that, Thalia may be called upon by the Greek Gods for favors, and is expected to jump at the call. Mostly, these favors include her usual artistic endeavors to help kinda rebrand and repopularize the Greek Gods, such as creating portraits and sculptures of them, writing songs or stories of them, and just generally being called upon to drop whatever she's doing find some new and creative way to sing their praises (of course, without offending one of them by doing a better job for a different one). More...complicated tasks that she's been asked to perform over the past few years include consulting with Hades on an anniversary present for Persephone, trying to calm an argument between Ares and Athena before it turned violent, organizing a joint birthday party for Apollo and Artemis, and on one particularly memorable evening, providing what she could only describe as "marriage counseling for a drunk Zeus and Hera".

Everybody Deserves a Chance to be Happy: This Aspect probably sums up the core of Thalia's belief system. Her driving motivation, at the end of the day, is to make people happier and the world a better place, even if only incrementally. She enjoys helping others, spreading joy with her words and actions and art alike. And that everyone is a key point of the Aspect; she is a strong believer in the mutually-beneficial compromise, coming up with solutions that allows everybody involved to go home happy with the results of a negotiation. Thalia often invokes this Aspect when trying to improve the lives of others, work out compromises in social situations, or overcome obstacles to her own happiness. Of course, it also sees frequent use augmenting her power to induce joy.

But let's be clear, Thalia does sincerely believe that everybody deserves a chance to be happy. She offers aid and forgiveness perhaps far more readily than is wise. She also tends to be big on fair play and look for mutual benefit over personal advantage. This Aspect can be invoked against Thalia to help convince her to help someone against her better judgment, or compelled to ensure she can't ignore a request for aid. It can also be compelled to get her to try and get mercy for a defeated foe - even one who by all rights doesn't deserve it - or to accept an equitable compromise even when she holds leverage or advantage. It's also worth noting, Thalia most definitely counts herself as a member of everybody!

Our Family Restaurant Gets Some...Interesting Customers: Thalia's parents were killed in a mugging when she was still a teenager. Since then, she and her siblings have done what they can to take care of each other. She has four siblings; Corey (25), Elizabeth (24), Danny (20), and Ashley (18). After their parents passed away, Corey and Elizabeth provided for their siblings waiting tables at a local restaurant, and it largely fell to Thalia to handle things like running errands, cooking, and taking care of the house. Over time the two of them got more and more involved with helping the restaurant's owner handle the business end of things, and when he retired, Corey and Elizabeth took over, bringing in Thalia to cook, and as Danny and Ashley got older, they started helping as well. Nowadays, they've got a pretty brisk business running, with Corey and Elizabeth still handling the majority of the business and financial end, and the five otherwise working together and trading off jobs as needed, although Thalia has been dubbed the official chef by virtue of being the unquestionably best at it. Long story short, they're a close-knit bunch, and Thalia often invokes this Aspect to make Declarations about her family or their restaurant, or get a boost on actions that they can support her on or that she is undertaking for them.

Of course, both business and family come with demands on Thalia's time, and when complications come up, you can bet Thalia will be in the middle of them. She takes her siblings' happiness to be her personal responsibility, and it's usually her who mediates between their arguments and disputes. Additionally, ever since becoming Accorded Neutral Ground, the restaurant has been seeing more and more supernatural customers coming in, which can sometimes present interesting complications - especially since it's still plenty popular among vanilla mortals.

Thalia's siblings are aware of her powers and the responsibilities that come with them, and have a cursory understanding of the supernatural world. She doesn't keep the supernatural aspects of her life secret from them, although she does try to insulate them from the supernatural stuff as much as she can.

A Dove Among Peacocks: Thalia is very attractive, but in a kinda understated girl-next-door way. Likewise, while her skill in a wide variety of creative arts has earned her some measure of fame and popularity, she doesn't really live the celebrity lifestyle...although she does enjoy dipping her feet in on occasion. She almost certainly could be an A-list celebrity if she wanted to, but she just kinda does her thing and creates her art without drawing a lot of attention to herself or making a big deal out of it. This combination gives her the credibility to interact even in high society, but also makes her generally approachable to regular people. Thalia generally invokes this Aspect when physical appearance or fame could play a role, or to help her get into parties, clubs, and other scenes that would otherwise be restricted to wealthy or famous people or assist her in such social situations.

On the flip side, Thalia's not always going to make as big an impression as people who put real effort into it. This Aspect can be invoked against her when in direct competition with more serious celebrities or other members of high society. It can be compelled to cause her to attract the wrong sort of attention, or to cause her own hedonistic tendencies to get her into a situation that she would probably have been wiser to avoid.

Tongue of Silver, Heart of Gold: Thalia is a social butterfly who often seems to know just what to say. She's outgoing, friendly, and honestly just fun to be around. People tend to like her, especially after talking to her. It's not just about being socially savvy, though; Thalia is an honestly and deeply good and caring person. She enjoys meeting others, making new friends, helping people and bringing them joy in whatever way she can, and those traits tend to become very quickly obvious to all who meet her. This Aspect is generally invoked to augment Thalia's social actions, or to boost her efforts to help or protect people and perform charitable works.

That said, Thalia's desire to help people can easily be used to manipulate her. She can be honest to a fault, especially when she feels that deception would hurt others. And she likes to be liked - it's important to her that other people like her; she takes insults personally and will often go beyond what is reasonable to make up for upsetting someone. This Aspect can be invoked against Thalia to hamper attempts at dishonesty or more negative social action like making threats and spreading rumors. It can be compelled if she has offended or upset someone to make her try to redress it - in some cases desperately.

What Do You Mean I'm Not a Superhero!?: Now, Thalia's powers were given to her for a specific reason. To create art, to bring joy, and at the end of the day, to make the Greek Gods more visible. And while her powers offer her protection and even tactical utility, they absolutely don't provide her with the sort of gross physicality that would allow someone to even reasonably safely fight mundane crime, let alone supernatural monsters.

And if you think Thalia believes any of that matters in the least, boy-howdie are you mistaken!

In the three years since she gained her powers, Thalia has not hesitated to use them to take a more active role in making her corner of the world a better place. Thalia's left armed robbers doubled over with laughter until the police could arrive, neutralized supernatural predators by sinking them into pleasant dreams, and caused more brewing bar fights than you can count to end with exuberant calls of "Another round!" She doesn't go out looking for trouble, but she doesn't hesitate to get involved when she comes across it. Thalia typically invokes this Aspect for over-the-top and heroic actions, and when sheer confidence and courage come into play.

But here's the thing - this isn't a four-color comic book. Thalia's been put in the hospital trying to stop a street fight, and was rescued by firefighters after learning the hard way that an inferno doesn't respond to empathy. This Aspect is generally invoked against Thalia when her confidence and heroism would hinder her, or compelled to cause her tendency to act like she is a four-color hero to get her into trouble. This Aspect also comes into play when Thalia might get overconfident. In particular, she has a bad tendency to overestimate just how much of an edge her power gives her over regular people, and she still has very little understanding of just where she fits in the supernatural pecking order.

STUNTS

Battle Dancer: Thalia moves with a dancer's grace and rhythm, even on a chaotic battlefield, and her supernatural inspiration gives her a strange sort of combat instinct that allows her to fight almost as if the battle were choreographed. Her personal control and economy of motion, coupled with this inspired instinct, allow her to avoid attacks just as efficiently as a more athletic individual's sheer speed and agility.

Unshakable Confidence: Thalia may be somewhat whimsical, but her sheer confidence and force of personality make her mind a difficult bastion to assail. She doesn't give an inch to psychological and terror tactics, and her strong sense of self makes it difficult for other minds to intrude on her own.

Prevent Pain: The main purpose of Thalia's powers is to spread joy, but sometimes the best way to do that is to prevent pain in the first place. She is particularly adept at using her powers to protect others, overwhelming hostiles with so much raw happiness that even if it doesn't prevent them from attacking outright, it severely weakens the effort.

Remove Pain: While not a trained therapist or anything, Thalia's ability to inspire joy coupled with her earnestly kind-hearted nature make her a natural at helping people through tough times. Thalia can use Empathy to justify recovery from moderate or severe mental and social consequences, provided she has the time and opportunity to talk things through and help the person feel better.

POWERS

Muse's Inspiration: Thalia has been blessed by the Muses with supernatural inspiration. While this means Thalia is afforded a certain amount of respect by the supernatural world (after all, while the Muses themselves may not be the biggest powerhouses on the block, they are still members of the Greek Pantheon, which isn't exactly the sort of group who you mess with lightly), it also comes with responsibilities. As an inspired artist, Thalia is expected to create art and beauty, spread joy and share her gifts with others, which can be a daunting responsibility in a world where so many struggle just to stay alive from day to day. And just as a measure of the aegis of respect of the Greek gods trickles down onto Thalia, so too does a measure of responsibility to them land upon her.

Inspire Joy: The Muses granted Thalia the power to spread joy through more than just mundane performance. With a touch, Thalia can inspire joy in people, ranging from good cheer to a bout of laughter to physical pleasure. This sudden rush of happiness can be used beneficially, making tasks seem easier and soothing pain, or detrimentally, creating distractions or briefly compelling or disabling targets.

Thalia's ability to instill joy isn't cut from the same cloth as, say, a White Court vampire's ability to induce emotions. Her power comes from her own core of happiness, at its essence a supernaturally augmented sharing of her own joy with others, the essence of performance in its purest form. There's nothing dishonest about it. Thalia inspires joy in much the same way the Muses inspire her artwork.

Thalia regularly uses this power on herself when creating or performing art, as a Maneuver to enhance the quality of the composition by augmenting her passion and inspiration. As part of a significant scene this is just done normally, using one exchange or round of posting to first perform the maneuver, and then the second for the performance, tagging the Aspect created. In more downtime sort of situations, the additional effort required to "hype herself up" and take full advantage of the inspiration means it costs one additional step on the time chart to produce the composition. If it's a live performance, Thalia generally needs a bit of prep time to hype herself up; as long as she arrives at the venue with some time to prepare, she can do it beforehand easily enough. If she's running late or something, or has to deal with complications before beginning, she might not have the time for it.

In any case, the difficulty of the Maneuver is equal to her Performance skill, since that effectively sets the rank of the composition she is trying to create, although she gets +2 from Incite Emotion as normal, so it's a pretty easy check. If she succeeds, she can tag the Aspect to add +2 to the composition value, so given time to charge up, she can usually, though not always, create Epic compositions. (Just for fun I figure that typically when cooking at the restaurant, as long as she's keeping it up fairly constantly, she can probably treat an entire mealtime worth of cooking more as a single live performance than a number of individual compositions, so day-to-day as things start getting busy she charges up and then just slings out an Epic breakfast for all, then charges up again and does the same for lunch, then dinner.)

Another note about this technique is that when using her Artisan's Tool to roll and take the higher for a composition, she can either buff the base composition value or the roll with a single invocation of the Aspect (or any other Aspect), and given the nature of the power should probably have to make this decision before the roll is made (more precisely, she can always choose to invoke Aspects for the roll after rolling as normal, but once she's rolled she's passed up the opportunity to do so for the static total). So she can take an Epic result with a small chance of pushing into Legendary, or she can go with a Superb baseline, with a high chance of pushing to at least Fantastic or Epic, and a decent chance of hitting some escalating degree of Legendary.

Artisan's Tool: A gift from the Muses that serves as a focus for Thalia's power, this device has many forms. Thalia can freely change it into any sort of tool usable to create art. She might make it a pen to write a story with, a musical instrument to play, a microphone to sing or speak into, and even a knife to prepare food with or a pan to cook it in. The Tool's size can range from about as small as a pen to about as large as a saxophone.

The Tool is capable of performing its function even without fuel or supporting setup - to a reasonable degree. For example, as a pen it never runs out of ink, as a paintbrush it needs no physical paints, as a microphone it would amplify Thalia's voice without need of a speaker system, and as a frying pan it could heat food even without a fire. However, it is not unlimited in its capability to do so. It could easily produce enough paint for a portrait, and probably enough to paint a single wall of a room, but not enough to paint an entire room or the outer wall of a building at one go. Likewise, as a microphone, it could easily amplify Thalia's voice to fill a small room and probably to fill a mid-sized auditorium, but certainly not enough to fill a huge stadium, nor could it amplify her voice to painful or damaging levels.

It is important to note that the Tool does still require the medium of its art; it can't be used to conjure food to cook, or paper to write on, or a canvas to paint on, for example. While the Tool can take many forms, it doesn't retain them indefinitely. Once it goes unused for a few minutes, it takes on its default form of an old, ornate-looking lute, so it can't be just turned into a pen and hidden in a pocket, or something; best Thalia can do is stow it in a carrying case for somewhat easier transport. In any form, the Artisan's Tool appears extremely ornate and well-crafted - at the very least, it would appear valuable, and those who know what they are looking for would almost certainly recognize it as an Object of Power.

The Artisan's Tool can only be used as an artistic tool. If used for a non-artistic purpose, it instantly reverts to its default form (so, even though Thalia could turn it into a knife to prepare food with, if she tried to use the knife as a utility tool or a weapon, it would instantly revert). Attempting to use the tool to cause actual pain (although there is some leeway here; there's still a certain joy to be derived from, say, a sad song or spicy food, and intent matters) can temporarily strip it of its indestructibility or negate the use of its powers.

The Perfect Tool for the Job: The Artisan's Tool is both physically optimal for the task it is put to, and serves as a focus for Thalia's inspiration - with it in her hand, her natural creativity is supernaturally augmented, allowing her to create works of amazing quality. The Tool can also use Thalia herself (or other willing subjects) as a medium for art, allowing her to make cosmetic alterations to her appearance instantly; for example, she could alter the appearance of her clothes, clean herself up, dry herself off, apply makeup, change her hair style, and so on in an instant. She can't use this ability to actually disguise herself as someone else; she could use it to create a costume, perhaps, but she would still be recognizably herself.

Focused Inspiration: While the Artisan's Tool has certain utility in terms of assisting in the creation of art, its true power is to serve as a focus for Thalia's Muse-gifted ability to inspire joy in others. Thalia can focus her power to Inspire Joy through the tool regardless of its current form, simply pointing it at the target to be affected and inspiring the emotion at a distance.

Augmented Inspiration: In addition to allowing Thalia to focus her power at a distance, the Artisan's Tool can augment its impact, creating a much deeper, and longer-lasting emotion. This can range from such things as sending an enemy into a tranquil slumber of pleasant dreams, disabling a target through uncontrollable hysterics, or leaving the target in a state of incoherent bliss, to such things as psychically compelling people to do something enjoyable, changing the sort of things that make a person happy, and even mentally addicting others to her powers. Needless to say, Thalia is extremely cautious about how far she takes this power.

Generally speaking, this is a pretty "nice" form of emotional influence; Thalia can inflict rather severe results with it, but almost never does. That being said, it is possible for someone who resists too hard to cause themselves more severe, though still objectively pleasant, forms of psychic trauma (since Consequences and Concessions are chosen by the character taking them). Fluff-wise, though, unless Thalia is explicitly going for very severe effects, these sorts of consequences would be the result of them trying to resist too hard, not the base effect of the attack. Normal Consequences for this power might include stuff like Giddy or Hiccupping From Laughter (Mild), Having a Great Day or High as a Kite (Moderate), and Everything Sounds Fun or Delirious Bliss (Severe). Getting Taken Out by Thalia's attacks, unless she's pushing harder, will often be less severe long-term than taking some consequences; things like blissful slumber, laughing too hard to do anything, or being overwhelmed by pleasure. Thalia can compel unwise actions at this point, but not those that are actively detrimental to the target's goals. For example, she could make some wanted criminals run up and high-five the nearest police officer because it seems like it would be super fun, but she couldn't get them to actually turn themselves in or confess to their crimes.

If Thalia is pushing harder, or the target is resisting hard enough to cause itself more psychological repercussions, Consequences may include things like Rictus Grin or Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter (Mild), Forgot How To Feel Pain or Urge To Help...Rising (Moderate), and Addicted to Pleasure or Uncontrollable Hedonism (Severe). If Thalia wants to actually compel serious actions against a target's goals, she has to take them out (or maybe force a concession) while pushing things - she can make a criminal confess his crimes to the police with a smile on his face and thank them for letting him get all that off his chest, or addict someone to pleasure so thoroughly that they'd do just about anything to keep it going, but even if it's still objectively pleasant for them, that's squicky stuff and can cause long-term consequences, so she almost always avoids it. (Also while she's not a spellcaster so she isn't technically bound by the Laws, and her association with the Greek Gods means there would be political ramifications for going after her, she is a mortal with magical ability and doing that kind of stuff would be stepping on Fourth Law concerns, so it could attract negative attention from the Wardens.) Even if Thalia does consider circumstances appropriate for pushing that far, her deciding to pull back at the last moment would pretty much always be a valid Concession (or a Compel on her Everybody Deserves a Chance to be Happy or Tongue of Silver, Heart of Gold Aspects).

SKILLS

Superb Performance: Thalia has been performing and creating art all her life. She is creative, talented, and passionate about her work. Even her "day job" allows her to create things that bring joy and appeal to the senses - she's the primary chef at the small but popular restaurant she and her siblings own. Add in the fact that she has been supernaturally inspired by the Muses, and Thalia is capable of creating art of astonishing quality - her cooking, in particular, is renowned throughout Houston.

Superb Presence: While Thalia may sometimes seem whimsical, there is a core of steel behind her good-natured attitude. Thalia is possessed of an unshakable confidence and a determined optimism. She sincerely believes in the inherent virtue of humanity and that people can accomplish amazing things when they all work together. When she has set her mind on something, she will not be easily swayed, and when she chooses to, she can speak with a surprising air of authority and inspire people to band together for the greater good. Add to that her considerable physical beauty, and she is the sort of person that people tend to pay attention to.

Great Empathy and Rapport: Thalia's just as comfortable talking one-on-one as she is playing to a crowd. She's not manipulative or imposing, but she's sincere, endearing, and has a keen sense of people. She truly desires to make others happy, and is a master at finding compromise and negotiating mutually beneficial solutions. End of the day, Thalia's a people person, and finds it easy to make friends.

Good Investigation and Alertness: While Thalia's sense of people is especially keen, it's built on the foundation of just generally solid senses in general. As a performer, Thalia has to pay close attention to her work, and her breadth of artistic skill means that all of her senses are frequently engaged. She has keen attention to detail, and her creative mind allows her to figure out what those details might mean.

Fair Resources: Thalia's family was never astonishingly wealthy, but her parents owned their home, and the restaurant that she and her siblings run has proven quite popular. Thalia's older siblings tend to handle most of the family's finances, but Thalia has a solid discretionary income.

Fair Lore and Scholarship: Thalia's pretty new to the supernatural world, but she's made a couple supernatural friends, poked around on the Paranet, and seen a thing or two from the spooky side of the street. She's also pretty well-read on a variety of subjects, and has done some research on supernatural stuff. She's no wizard, but she's far from clueless.

Average Endurance and Athletics: Thalia's no physical powerhouse by any means, but you know, she dances too. She's fit and healthy, at the very least.

Average Conviction: Thalia's whimsical and generally open-minded; she's not averse to changing when she's wrong. Thats said, her sheer self-confidence means she can't be trivially swayed.

Average Contacts: Thalia's not exactly tuned in to the pulse of the city or anything like that, but what can I say? She has a lot of friends.

Average Craftsmanship: Thalia's definitely more about the "arts" side of arts and crafts, but sometimes function can follow from form.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    (I do have a detailed backstory written up, but since just the one-paragraph version was requested for now I'll hold off on that.)

Thalia was born in Houston, the middle of five children, and had an objectively happy childhood. She became interested in art and performance at an early age. As a teenager, her parents were killed (and she herself wounded) in a mugging; she kinda served as a rock for the rest of her siblings in the aftermath. Corey and Elizabeth worked to support the family at a local restaurant, and Thalia started cooking there when she got older, and in time they ended up buying it from the owner. She acquired her powers about three years ago after saving a Muse from an attack by a group of White Court vampires (they had been driving the Muse to suicide, Thalia had talked her down, and the act of saving a life had been a moment of True Joy from her...which happened just as the vamps tried to use their powers on her. It did not go well for them.) In the aftermath, the Muse and her sisters came to Thalia and offered her the chance to spread joy as an emissary of the Muses - and, by extension, the Greek Gods.

Spoiler: Supplementals
    Show
    NOTE: I've submitted Thalia to a few games before which ended before long, and over time I've come up with a good bit of supplemental material for her. I'm including it because hey if it gives the GM more tools to use awesome. That being said, everything here can be totally changed at GM or group need. Like I figured using the restaurant as Accorded Neutral Ground would be cool, but if you'd rather that not be available or be some other location or whatever I can easily kill it. If any of the PCs have like defining skills that one of Thalia's siblings could step on the toes of I'll change them, etc.

I built Thalia's siblings with the intent that they could be potentially useful NPC allies, but still solidly below the PCs (they're built as Feet In The Water level Pure Mortals), and in any sort of supernatural situation would certainly need Thalia's protection without just being useless kidnap fodder. That being said, while they do have non-trivial competence in their fields, they should not be treated as resources for Thalia to use; they should be complicating her life at least as often as they are helping her (and probably significantly moreso, especially in Corey's case). I didn't write up any prose descriptions for them, but I wrote their Aspects to try and give a pretty solid overview of their characterizations (actually, I followed a bit of a template for their Aspects; first one is how they feel about Thalia's powers and such, second one gives a rough physical appearance, third one hits the key notes of their personalities, fourth one is their primary "role" in the restaurant, and fifth one touches on their personal hobbies).

Spoiler: The Bowers Family Restaurant
    Show
    Map

It's debatable whether the name is meant to be read as "The 'Bowers Family' Restaurant" or "The Bowers 'Family Restaurant'". In any event, most people just call it Bowers. The restaurant is renowned throughout Houston and, honestly, beyond as a place that serves good food at affordable prices. Really good food. To be clear, it isn't some big, fancy, five-star restaurant. It's more a hole-in-the-wall diner. With, and this must be stressed, really good food. The restaurant has a spacious floorplan and a warm, even cheery atmosphere. Thalia has also managed to get the restaurant accorded Neutral Grounds status, so it's a generally safe place for supernaturals.

Aspects:
    Some Of The Best Food In Houston.
    Family Owned and Operated.
    Spacious Floorplan, But Still a Restaurant
    Just A Few Blocks From the House.
    Accorded Neutral Ground.

Face: Ashley probably counts as the Face of the restaurant, because at the end of the day she's kinda the main waitress, so the person that people will interact with most.

Spoiler: The Bowers' House
    Show
    A two-story family home in a decent part of town, the Bowers Household is perhaps a bit cramped for five people (although Thalia would call it "cozy"), but it's still a clean, comfortable place to live. The house was purchased by the Bowers' parents shortly after they married. It was the newlywed couple's first home, it's where the five children grew up, where they supported and took care of each other after their parents' deaths, and where they all still live together even in adulthood. Which all means that it has a beast of a threshold.

Aspects:
    A Two Story House In a Decent Part of Town.
    Threshold Like a Steel Wall.
    Swimming Pool in the Back Yard.
    Clean, Comfortable, and Cozy (or Cramped).
    Just a Few Blocks from the Restaurant.

Face: Elizabeth probably counts as the Face of the house. She's the one who's kinda always running around taking care of things and such.

Spoiler: Corey Bowers
    Show
    BASICS

Name: Corey Bowers
    Template: Pure Mortal
    Refresh: 4

ASPECTS

High Concept: Big Brother with a Big Gun.
    Trouble: I'll Do Anything to Protect my Family...Whether They'd Approve or Not.
    Aspect 1: I'm Not Going to Let Thali Get Herself Killed.
    Aspect 2: Tall and Lean, With Both Looks and Style.
    Aspect 3: Controlled and Calculating, But Not Without Warmth.
    Aspect 4: I'm More About The "Business End" of Things.
    Aspect 5: Not Much of a Gambler, But Likes Playing Cards.

SKILLS

Great (+4): Guns
    Good (+3): Deceit, Presence
    Fair (+2): Discipline, Resources, Athletics
    Average (+1): Conviction, Endurance, Fists, Alertness

STUNTS

A Gun In Your Face (Guns): Substitute Guns for Intimidation when pointing a gun at the target. [-1]

Aggressive Defense (Guns): +1 on attacks with guns when defending his family, home, or business. [-1]

Simply Convincing (Deceit): May use Deceit normally even while speaking truly (this doesn't add any new Trappings to the skill, per se, but means he doesn't become less convincing just because what he's saying happens to be true). Additionally, get +1 on Deceit rolls when trying to convince someone of something that is at least partially true. [-1]

Businessman (Resources): +2 on Resources checks for purposes of business-related expenses. [-1]

STRESS

Social: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Ideas For The GM

In some ways Corey is kinda the most "antagonistic" of Thalia's siblings. Not that either of them would ever do anything to knowingly harm the other, they're still very close, but Corey is super-protective and would be likely to present an obstacle to her, well, being a PC. While he'd have trouble really challenging her in a social encounter in himself, he might be able to get some of their other siblings on his side, especially if she's taking on serious risk. While Corey is a fairly competent combatant, he naturally wouldn't be inclined to actually assist Thalia on an adventure (for one he rightly doesn't consider himself able to go toe-to-toe with supernatural foes, and for another that would be encouraging her). However, if he felt he had to, he might try and follow after to keep her safe - either popping up at an inopportune moment as a distraction, or getting himself in trouble and further complicating Thalia's situation.

It's not impossible for Corey to be used in a way that favors the party if need be. If you think they need some additional fighting power for something, he could grit his teeth and provide it on the basis of it keeping Thalia safer than him not. He and his Aggressive Defense stunt should also combo nicely with the Threshold Like A Steel Wall of the house or the Accorded Neutral Ground of the restaurant to let those places serve as "safe spots" to whatever degree that is useful to you.

Spoiler: Elizabeth Bowers
    Show
    BASICS

Name: Elizabeth Bowers

ASPECTS

High Concept: Sister In Mom's Shoes.
    Trouble: Busy Busy Busy!
    Aspect 1: I Worry About Thali, But I'm Also Proud of Her.
    Aspect 2: Fit and Graceful "Girl Next Door".
    Aspect 3: Caring but Cautious, a Paragon of Responsibility.
    Aspect 4: I Make Sure Everything's Running Smoothly.
    Aspect 5: Free Time Means Nap Time.

SKILLS

Great (+4): Driving
    Good (+3): Empathy, Presence
    Fair (+2): Craftsmanship, Resources, Athletics
    Average (+1): Performance, Endurance, Guns, Alertness

STUNTS

Get Us Out Of Here! (Driving): +2 to Driving when using it to escape.

I Know a Shortcut (Driving): +1 to Driving when using it to navigate, and long-term tasks that involve a lot of driving (such as running errands) are completed one time rank faster than normal.

Read the Surface (Empathy): First attempt to read someone takes less than a minute of interaction.

Do It Yourself (Resources): +2 on Resources for purchasing raw materials to use to make things.

STRESS

Mental: [ ] [ ]

Ideas For The GM

Since Elizabeth Worries About Thali, But Is Also Proud of Her she makes a natural source of support for Corey when he's being obstructive. With her high Driving skill she can be used to provide transportation when that is convenient for you, but since she's Busy Busy Busy she can't be relied on for it. Although likewise, she could also provide transport and "just have to make a few stops" . Her requesting help on her many errands can always serve as a way to get Thalia somewhere she might not ordinarily have reason to go. Although I'll admit I have in the past also fiddled with the idea that Elizabeth driving in with Corey laying down covering fire while everyone piles into the car, and then exacting some promises from them might be an interesting way to handle a Concession in a physical conflict.

Spoiler: Danny Bowers
    Show
    BASICS

Name: Danny Bowers

ASPECTS

High Concept: Little Brother, Still a Big Fighter.
    Trouble: You Don't Talk About Fight Club.
    Aspect 1: My Sister's Totally A Superhero!
    Aspect 2: Small but Strong, Handsome and Athletic.
    Aspect 3: An Aggressive Confidence and Great Sense of Humor.
    Aspect 4: I Don't Really Have a "Main" Job...Unless Someone Starts Making Trouble.
    Aspect 5: Watch the Game, Play the Game, Live the Game.

SKILLS

Great (+4): Fists
    Good (+3): Intimidation, Presence
    Fair (+2): Might, Resources, Athletics
    Average (+1): Stealth, Endurance, Guns, Alertness

STUNTS

Footwork (Fists): Substitute Fists for Athletics for defense. [-1]

Lethal Weapon (Fists): Fists are Weapon: 2 against no armor, Weapon: 1 against Armor: 1. [-1]

Back Down (Intimidation): +2 to Intimidation rolls when trying to force someone to back down from a confrontation. [-1]

Wrestler (Might): +1 to Might when maintaining a grapple. [-1]

STRESS

Mental: [ ] [ ]

Ideas For The GM

While on the face of it Danny would be the most likely ally for Thalia for a dangerous situation, the fact is A) she's protective of him, B) Corey would absolutely hammer her if she put him in supernatural danger, and C) end of the day he's no PC. Danny might be willing and to some limited degree able to help, but Thalia wouldn't really consider it. Like Corey though he can be a source of additional muscle if you feel the team needs it for some specific thing. More likely, he would get in over his head and need Thalia (and her friends) to bail him out. Although he's at least competent enough that in such situations he can contribute as an ally rather than being a pure liability. I see him as having some connections with seedier and more dangerous elements (You Don't Talk About Fight Club) so basically him getting into trouble is a good way to get Thalia into trouble.

Spoiler: Ashley Bowers
    Show
    BASICS

Name: Ashley Bowers

ASPECTS

High Concept: "How Is It That Our Baby Sister Is Smarter Than Any Of Us?"
    Trouble: Gotta Balance Work With School.
    Aspect 1: I Wish Thali Would Share More of the Supernatural World With Me.
    Aspect 2: Short and Slender, More "Cute" than "Beautiful".
    Aspect 3: Friendly and Outgoing, But Smarter than she Acts.
    Aspect 4: Everybody's Favorite Waitress.
    Aspect 5: Avid Reader with Geeky Interests.

SKILLS

Great (+4): Scholarship
    Good (+3): Rapport, Presence
    Fair (+2): Contacts, Resources, Investigation
    Average (+1): Lore, Empathy, Discipline, Conviction

STUNTS

Fan Fiction Writer (Scholarship): Use straight Scholarship for purposes of writing, and gain +1 when writing fiction. This becomes +2 for fiction set in an established setting. [-1]

Capable Researcher (Scholarship): Complete research two time ranks faster than normal. [-1]

Best Foot Forward (Rapport): +1 on rolls to make a good first impression, and cannot accidentally make a negative first impression. [-1]

Well Informed (Contacts): The first time you use Contacts to gather information on a person or organization, reduce the time required by two steps. [-1]

STRESS

Physical: [ ] [ ]

Ideas For The GM

Ashley has a good enough breadth of information-gathering capabilities that if there's any plot hooks or infodumping you need to deliver and none of the PCs end up being good for it, you can totally use her as a tool for that. Of course, she's Gotta Balance Work With School so she usually won't have the time to actually like do research on the party's behalf or such. She's curious about things, especially the supernatural world, so while she might not be quite as trouble-prone as Danny, she could attract problems by looking into the wrong things. ...And at the end of the day she's the only member of the family who's got literally nothing for physical combat. So, you know, she makes the best kidnap fodder.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2019-09-27 at 02:23 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

[
    Spoiler: Ghost
    Show

Anna Clark
    ~~~
    Houston's Grey Lady

Lingering Ghost

10 Refresh
    Spirit Form (-3)
    Swift Transition (-2)
    No Mortal Home (+1)
    Incite Potent Lasting Emotion At Range [Paranoia] (-4)
    Supernatural Toughness (-1) Catch: Fire
    Ghostly Constitution (0)

Refresh: 1

Skills
    Superb: Performance, Intimidation.
    Great: Stealth, Presence.
    Good: Conviction, Discipline.
    Fair: Alertness, Scholarship, Investigation.
    Average: Lore, Endurance, Empathy, Athletics, Survival.

Trouble: Let Me Rest

Background: Darling Husband
    Aspect Trust No One

Rising Conflict: Trapped In Houston
    Aspect Nothing Beside Remains

The Story: This Is My Home
    Aspect Over My Dead Body

OR

Spoiler: Werebear
    Show

Jake King
    ~~~
    Big Bad Werebear Nerd

Not To Scale

Werebear

10 Refresh
    Beast Change (-1)
    Human Form (+1)
    Claws (-1)
    Hulking Size (-2)
    Inhuman Speed (-2)
    Inhuman Strength (-2)
    Inhuman Toughness (-1)
    The Catch: Inherited Silver Weapons, Wizard Knowledge, Few People Have It.

Mortal Stunt - Wrestler Bear Hug (-1)

Refresh: 1

Skills
    Superb: Scholarship, Lore.
    Great: Investigation, Alertness.
    Good: Craftmanship, Discipline.
    Fair: Driving, Resources, Conviction.
    Average: Presence, Rapport, Empathy, Athletics, Burglary.

Bear Skills
    Superb: Might, Fists.
    Great: Endurance, Athletics.
    Good: Alertness, Survival.
    Fair: Stealth, Intimidation, Discipline.
    Average: Conviction, Investigation, Contacts, Rapport, Empathy.

Trouble: What Would Mom Think?

Background: I Was A Teenage Werebear
    Aspect When Things Get Hairy So Do I

Rising Conflict: An American Werebear In Houston
    Aspect Not Just A Mascot

The Story: Bearcop
    Aspect A Heavy Cross To Bear

(I was tempted at many points to make him a weretrashpanda, the puns are going to make the storybuilding so much fun for me. )

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Just posting a WIP character sheet really quick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Patrick McGinnis

High Concept: Seelie Sychologist
    Trouble: Nevernever Fugitive
    Where did you come from: Sworn to the Summer Lady
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Changeling that Chose to join the fae and entered the Summer Court. He was fiercely loyal to Aurora, and later to Lily, and served as a minor peacekeeper in their courts. While realistically he did almost nothing to prevent the literal and figurative backstabbing that was rampant, he did take pride in the fact that his Lady had said he was valued and generously ignored him continuing to use her magic even after he was forced to flee the Nevernever for fear of his life.

What shaped you: Know When To Fold 'Em
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite, or probably because of, the modicum of respect he had gained from the Lady, he was framed for plotting against Summer. Rather than face torture or worse in Faerie, he chose to flee back to the Mortal world. With the help of some less savoury contacts, he was able to obtain a false identity and qualifications and has settled in Houston. Even with the cover of a false identity, Patrick expects to be discovered eventually and is already preparing for going on the lamb again.

First story: Sucker For a Good Cause
    Spoiler
    Show
    When a Changeling comes walking into his office looking for therapy, Patrick has to find a way to help him stay sane through his Choice. But will Patrick succeed when the Changeling's father comes hunting for both their child and a fugitive?

Refresh: -2

Skills
    Spoiler
    Show
    +5:Deceit, Empathy
    +4:Conviction, Discipline
    +3:Presence, Rapport
    +2:Guns, Lore, Resources
    +1:Contacts, Survival, Scholarship, Weapons

Stunts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seelie Magic [-4]: Evocation (Fire), Thaumaturgy (Mind stuff)
    Inhuman Toughness [-2]: Hard to Hurt, Hard to Kill
    The Catch [+1]: Cold Iron and other fairy stuff
    Counselor [-1]
    Glamours [-2]

Equipment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glock 19, Weapon:2 Pistol
    +1 Offensive Discipline Focus
    +1 Defensive Conviction Focus
    +2 Thaumaturgy Lore Focus

Stress:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Physical: [][][][]
    Social: [][][][]
    Mental: [][][][]
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2019-10-04 at 08:35 AM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Seeing some familiar faces; not surprising, with DFRPG. :P

Since we have another booming port town to play with, I will again be submitting Daysa, Steward of the Sleeping Rakshasa, once I tweak him for North American operations.

Spoiler: Daysa, Steward of the Sleeping Rakshasa
    Show
    Dasya Shah: Emissary of Power (Kumbhakarna)
    High Concept Aspect: Steward of the Sleeping Rakshasa -- has great resources to draw upon; but also difficult obligations.
    Trouble Aspect: Straddling Two Worlds -- juggles a strictly mundane role as a successful businessman and being a representative of some influence in the supernatural community.

Background: Where Did You Come From? Aspect: All I Want is a Little of the Good Life

Grew up part of a family that has served a powerful Indian Rakasha for generations, currently looking after business interests in the great port of Houston. Eldest of four siblings, they all worked various aspects of the business – primarily import/export – as soon as they were old enough to be trusted with the various responsibilities. Schooled in lore, politics, business, weaponry, history, and many other subjects, the Shah family were far from typical Houston residents – although they took pains to conceal that fact. Serving the Rakasha often had some odd requirements, but the rewards were well worth it – as well as supernatural protection from being part of the Rakasha's house, the financial gains were quite generous.

Rising Conflict: What Shaped You? Aspect: Old World Manners

His father promoted and recalled to India to better serve the Master, he took wife and the younger siblings with him, leaving Dasya in charge of the North America operation. Responsible for whatever demands might be made by Kumbhakarna during his six month waking period each year, even at half a continent's distance, Dasya had to carefully maintain a network of contacts and resources to draw upon at a moment's notice. This left little time for a personal life, and he treated both his mundane interactions and his supernatural encounters with a formal, old-world courtesy that was difficult to take offense at. Along with the business also passed to him the token of Kumbhakarna's power, a ring of great enchantment that provided power to the wearer to better serve the Rakasha's interests.

The Story: What Was Your First Adventure? Aspect: Grace Under Pressure; Courage Under Fire

When Kumbhakarna awakens and begins issuing orders through his factors, Dasya immediately goes to work fulfilling his Master's needs. But will Dasya succeed when he runs up against a suspicious – and honest - Houston Customs Inspector, an Ogre claiming one of his dockside warehouses as its lair, and a demand from his Master that not only runs contrary to Dasya's conscience, but the mortal law of the land?

Spoiler: image
    Show

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Superb:
    Great: Resources, Discipline
    Good: Alertness, Presence, Weapons
    Fair: Contacts, Might, Scholarship
    Average: Athletics, Deceit, Driving, Endurance, Fists, Lore, Stealth

Spoiler: Stunts & Powers
    Show

[-1] Filthy Lucre (Resources)
    [-1] Marked by Power
    Item of Power (Ring of the Battlefield) [+1]
    [-2] Inhuman Strength
    [-2] Inhuman Speed
    [-4] Inhuman Toughness/Inhuman Recovery
    The Catch: [+3] Blessed Wood

Stress:
    Mental o o
    Physical o o o o o
    Social o o o o

Fate Points: 2

Total Refresh: 2
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-09-28 at 08:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

When does recruiting close for this? I think I have a good concept that could work, but I'm super busy the next few days and I'd need to skim the DFRPG book because I've been playing later versions of FATE since I last played it and some stuff is different.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm interested as a mageling who has strong fey ties. I'll give some more details when I'm home from work and not posting from my phone.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #20

I haven't had a chance to play the Dresden Files RPG before but I would love to apply! Maybe with an Alchemist, Pure Mortal, or a White Court Vampire?
    Last edited by Lexiconjurer; 2019-09-29 at 05:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hey, just figured I'd throw my hat in the ring!

Spoiler: Mortal
    Show

Harris Murdoch
    ^v^v^
    Paranormal "Investigator"

Spoiler: Stunts
    Show

Everybody's Buddy: People like you. Use Rapport instead of Contacts for the Gather Information trapping.

Let Me Tell You a Story…: You have the gift of gab, able to draw the attention of others with colorful words and stories. This tends to leave your audience distracted. You may use Rapport instead of Deceit in order to mount a distraction (page 126), so long as you are able to talk to your target

Quick Eye: When examining a location for clues, your eye is quick to pick out the visual details. Your first Investigation roll to determine deeper details about a scene is two time increments (page 315) faster than usual.

Fool Me Once...: It only takes once for someone to lie to you before you start to wise up to it. Once you’ve discovered a particular person’s lie for what it is, you gain a +2 on any future Empathy rolls when dealing with that liar.

Refresh: 6

Skills
    Superb: Investigation, Rapport.
    Great: Empathy, Presence.
    Good: Alertness, Discipline.
    Fair: Lore, Athletics, Scholarship.
    Average: Stealth, Endurance, Resources, Contacts, Deceit.

Trouble: Amateur in the Deep End

Background: Journalists all the way down.
    Aspect I know what I saw!
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    The only child of a successful but disgruntled journalist, great-grandson of a journalistic legend, Harris was raised with the relentlessly inquisitive mind and easy social graces that only an upper-class twit with no economic worries can combine. This of course made it all the more embarrassing for the family when he decided to focus his work on "cryptids". Left with a small fund that he maintains with his more mundane journalistic endeavors, Harris now devotes his life to the study of the spooky.

Rising Conflict: A Close Shave
    Aspect Wrong Place, Right Time
    Spoiler: Rising Conflict
    Show
    Most people would find it hard to pinpoint the paranormal. Most people that search for it look in all the wrong places. Harris, meanwhile, walked into a barber shop for a haircut only to run for his life from a hungry ghoul, found himself in the middle of a Red/White Court conflict when he hid in a red-light brothel, was chased by a fetch after jumping from the second-story window, and finally was saved by a spectral figure he couldn't identify after some dedicated research.
    After a Halloween like that, how could he do anything but try and investigate this stuff? If nothing else, he needs that knowledge for self-preservation.

The Story: Leap of Faith
    Aspect I believe in second chances.
    Spoiler: The Story
    Show
    When a friend comes to Harris and spills the beans- not only about the supernatural, but about their own spooky self, Harris finally has a chance to feel vindicated... But that feeling doesn't last long when the reason they came to Harris of all people for help shows up. The Fomor are after this friend, and for some reason the Summer court has withdrawn its protection. With the normal protectors of mortals understaffed, will Harris be able to get into the good graces of a protective patron, or will a worse fate lay in store for the two of them?
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-10-04 at 09:33 AM.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

All these characters are looking good so far, let's shoot the end of submissions for the end of this week on Friday, with the ooc thread going up Saturday. Sound good?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm working on a were-tiger right now, I hope to get it complete and at least get a critique since it's my first DFRPG character ever.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    All these characters are looking good so far, let's shoot the end of submissions for the end of this week on Friday, with the ooc thread going up Saturday. Sound good?
    Sounds good to me. I should have a character sheet finished by then.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Works for me!
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm having some trouble coming up with my aspects. Should I try to work on a backstory first to see if I can get some inspiration from that? I have all of the crunch other than my skills figured out, but reading the book it seems that aspects are super important so I'd like to get them right.

I'm playing a were-tiger, and I want my High Concept to be "Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright". The idea behind it is that my character is very passionate and has little self control in most aspects of her life, but has been successful by basically running through or over all obstacles, either metaphorically or in some cases literally with the tiger form and all.

Her trouble is, "There is no off switch on a tiger". This is sort of the flip side to letting her emotions rule her, in that she has damaged/ended relationships, career prospects, etc. by being out of control.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm having some trouble coming up with my aspects. Should I try to work on a backstory first to see if I can get some inspiration from that? I have all of the crunch other than my skills figured out, but reading the book it seems that aspects are super important so I'd like to get them right.

I'm playing a were-tiger, and I want my High Concept to be "Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright". The idea behind it is that my character is very passionate and has little self control in most aspects of her life, but has been successful by basically running through or over all obstacles, either metaphorically or in some cases literally with the tiger form and all.

Her trouble is, "There is no off switch on a tiger". This is sort of the flip side to letting her emotions rule her, in that she has damaged/ended relationships, career prospects, etc. by being out of control.
    Your trouble sounds like it's just a compel for your high concept. Remember the thing with all of your aspects is that they have to have both positive and negative connotations. I think you'd be on the right track by working out your tigress's backstory before beginning your aspects.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

This looks like it could be fun. I'll throw my hat in the ring! I have a custom stunt in there but I can remove it if you don't approve.

Name: Zhao Yin
    Template: Champion of God
    High Concept: Defender Of Chinatown
    Trouble: Bao Hu Peng Her ("Fighting A Tiger Barehanded", essentially meaning someone who is intrepid but foolish)

Aspects

Spoiler: Phase One - Background
    Show
    Being born into a family of demon hunters, Zhao Yin was taught about how the world really worked from a young age. Alongside normal schooling, she also received martial training, was taught Taoist practices, and the proper prayers to receive the blessing of the gods. Though Yin tried to live a normal life, there was no way of escaping the legacy of her family and their sacred duty that went back all the way to the First Sovereign Emperor of China.

Phase Aspect: Duty Bound

Spoiler: Phase Two - Rising Conflict
    Show
    Yin was only 16 when she was attacked by one of the yaomo, demons, of the so-called "Red Court". It came at her in the guise of a man, but she could see the hunger in its eyes for something more than base lust. The demon struck, but was more than a bit surprised when the young woman's touch caused its flesh to sizzle, pop, and burn. While it was still stunned, Yin acted on instinct, taking up a broom handle and using it to kill the demon.

Phase Aspect: "I Am The Chosen One"

Spoiler: Phase Three - The Story
    Show
    Story Title: Demon Winds

The Zhao are a family of demon hunters who have protected Hoston's Chinatown for generations. When Zhao Yin's father is killed by the demon Bai Gu Jing, she must accept the burden of her family's legacy and seek revenge against the creature. But can Yin defeat a demon with an army of hungry ghosts at its back when she finds herself caught between blood sucking vampires, a Sidhe queen of darkness, and a Tong turf war?

Phase Aspect: Modern Girl. Ancient Legacy.

Spoiler: Phase Four - Guest Starring
    Show
    Story Title:
    Whose story was this? Who else was in it?

Phase Aspect:

Spoiler: Phase Five - Guest Starring Redux
    Show
    Story Title:

Phase Aspect:

Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    Superb (+5): Conviction, Fists
    Great (+4): Athletics, Endurance
    Good (+3): Alertness, Discipline
    Fair (+2): Presence, Stealth, Weapons
    Average (+1): Empathy, Investigation, Lore, Rapport, Scholarship

Spoiler: Stunts & Powers
    Show
    Powers:
    Bless This House [-1]
    Guide My Hand [-1]
    Holy Touch [-1]
    Righteousness [-2]
    Wizard's Constitution [-0] (Comes from the rigorous training and special diet that significantly improved longevity)
    Stunts:
    Storm of Fists: Yin may use the Fists skill to make spray attacks against opponents in the same zone as her (Same as the 'Wall of Death' stunt, but with Fists instead of Weapons).

Adjusted Refresh: 4
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2019-10-01 at 06:19 PM.
    Amazing ponified avatar by Madcrafter!

Original avatar by the awesome Savannah:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvianMalkavian View Post
    Storm of Fists: Yin may use the Fists skill to make spray attacks against opponents in the same zone as her (Same as the 'Wall of Death' stunt, but with Fists instead of Weapons)
    I'll allow it, but you have to make Jackie Chan noises whenever you use it.

30. - Top - End - #30

I've settled on Focused Practitioner for the Template but I'm stuck between two potential character ideas and would love your thoughts on it.

Idea #1: Charming Chloromancer (plant magic, for lack of a better word) Florist - A young man who has returned home to Houston to help with his mother's flower shop after his father passed away. He has ties to the local community and the Paranet, as well as a gift for influencing plant life with magic. Normally, this just means having a green thumb, but when push comes to shove he can control plants to pretty devastating effect. Like that scene in Dead Beat where one of the Wardens animates a tree to rip zombies apart!

OR

Idea #2: Ectomantic Avenger - Some people tend to ignore ghosts because they're considered just an echo of the person who died, but that doesn't make their grievances any less real. People were still killed, family members might need to be protected, and some justice still needs to be meted out. This ectomancer is not content to simply help ghosts pass on, they also want to right the wrongs that created those ghosts in the first place.
    Last edited by Lexiconjurer; 2019-10-01 at 11:29 PM.