The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Houston Strong (Dresden Files RPG, FATE)

Seeing as one of our potential members is a ghost, the avenger might be the more thematic one, but, you do you.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been attempting to sit down and construct my character for a while, and it's just not happening. I'm unfortunately unlikely to be able to complete something before the deadline.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I think my character is done.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Iím a sucker for Dresden, but havenít managed to see a game really get off the ground. New Cannes ... Vegas ... hereís hoping Houston will invite me in

If thereís still time to submit and such, here we go. I got a mess of fluff, but I probably screwed some stuff up, or am using the wrong edition. Help wanted please! Iíve got ideas listed for guest star roles, too, for easy group integration.

Introducing Gray 'Grim' Malkan
    Template: Changeling (Grimalkin Scion)
    High Concept Aspect: Half-Breed Outcast
    Trouble Aspect: The Glass is Half Poisoned ...

Spoiler: Character details
    Show
    Gray woke up with a start, the Glock 21 he kept under the bed already in his hand. His ears quivered, slightly orienting around the rooms like little radar dishes. He sniffed a couple of times, his eyes scanning the darkened room he had called home for the past two weeks, before finally lowering the weapon. With a sigh, he fell back onto his bed, arms above his head as his mind replayed the dream he just had.

He was standing on an empty, barren plain, nothing for as far as the eye could see. A sound of thunder echoed in the distance, as a thunder clouds began to form on the horizon all around. To his left, the clouds darkened, forming a funnel. To his right, the clouds unleashed a torrent of white, the blizzard obscuring all vision. As the two forces of nature closed on each other, Gray realized he was no longer alone - a woman stood next to him, smiling down at him. His mother's eyes looked so green, so alive. She leaned close, kissing him on the forehead. The next moment, he was standing on a small rise, watching his mother wave from between the storms. She called out to him, but her words were snatched away by the opposing forces of nature. He screamed back a warning, crying for her to come, but the confused look on her face told him his voice couldn't reach her. He started to run, faster and faster, dropping to all fours. The distance disappeared under his feet, but she was always just out of reach. Then, without further preamble, the two storms collided, and in a flash of red she was gone.
    Sitting up, Gray stretched languidly, scratching his back with the barrel of his gun. Standing up, he pulled a button-up shirt over the wife beater he was wearing and pulled on a pair of jeans before he wandered over to the boarded windows and glanced through the cracks. Nothing stirred in the darkness of the empty streets, but Gray knew things lived within the pitch black. Hell, he was one of those things.

Moving over to the bed, he slipped on his shoes and sighed again. "So, how long you gonna sit there and watch me, Rich? I've got sh&* to do ..." He looked over at a section of the room that was completely empty. There was a pause, then a grunt of frustration. After a moment, the air shimmered and a slightly overweight man in glasses appeared, wearing a robe and holding a staff. "Damn, Grim, that was one of my better veils ... how'd you see me?"
    Gray, or Grim as some folks called him, grinned, looking for all the world like the Cheshire Cat, which made sense in more ways than one. He almost told the wizard that he didn't see him, but could smell the power from a mile away, but then he wouldn't get to enjoy that look of flabbergasted confusion. So instead, he shrugged and walked over to a table where his backpack sat.

The wizard sighed, and leaned against the wall. "You know don't have to go. You have a place here ... you have friends." Gray laughed at that, and looked back over at the man, his green eyes glittering in the dark. "That's rich, Rich. Look, I saved your bacon once or twice ... you and the Scooby Gang saved mine once or twice. Call it convenience; hell, call it a decent working relationship. But let's not start picking out patterns."

Seeing the hurt look in the wizard's eye, he shook his head. "Hey, you guys are okay, as far as folks in our circles go. Great even. Uh, letís see ... it's not you, it's me. Um, I'm not ready for commitment. I need to find myself. Dude, whatever helps you guys say good-bye and forget you saw me, go with that. I'm a stray. I ... stray. Go fight the big bad, save the day, all that. I just want to live long enough to crap in some Sidhe oatmeal, capesh?"

Sliding the pack onto his shoulder, he checked his pistol and slid it into his belt. "Hey ... say bye to Roz for me, will ya? She's a peach." Walking over to the door, he looked at his watch and glanced out. "Gotta run, Rich. Keep your head on a swivel ..."

"Before they put it on a platter." Rich smiled sadly, finishing the joke. With a quick wave and trademark grin, Gray was out the door and gone. The half-Sidhe was like lightning, and twice as hard to bottle. He was almost a block away when he smelled the wafting odors of magic, similar to Rich's, but darker ... fouler. He paused for a moment, glancing back at his former residence, knowing it was the target. Whatever was coming after him would find Rich first. After the briefest of hesitations, Grim shrugged and took off in the opposite direction.

Well, he did warn the guy...

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Gray is lean and lanky, looking for all the world like a piece of toughened leather, even though he doesn't appear older than early twenties. His skin is dusky without being dark, his eyes are emerald green, and his dark hair is usually short and unkempt. When he smiles, the grin is both infectuous and somewhat disconcerting. He tends to walk in a languid, measured sort of way, but when he chooses to 'exert' himself, he moves like lightning. His long fingers fingers are usually drumming a beat on his leg, or in time to some tune he is humming under his breath.

He typically wears old jeans and tees, usually with an unbuttoned long-sleeved shirt ... plaid, flannel, or darker tones. Both of his ears are pierced, with a small silver stud through each, and there is a tattoo of the Thundercat symbol on his left shoulder. He occasionally wears sunglasses, but rarely wears caps. When is is talking to someone one, regardless of how relaxed or disinterested he appears, his eyes (half-lidded or not) are locked onto the subject of his attention, usually bright and unblinking.

However, under the surface guise of mortality and normalcy, lies his other face. Green cat's eyes stare out from beneath long bangs, contrasted by tufted ears that twitch and orient on any sounds around him. A very faint coat of fur, almost indistinguishable from his skin tone, covers his exposed limbs, and his long fingers taper into sharp claws. The most disturbing part of it all his smile; that damnable, impossibly-wide grin that looks for all the world like something out of Wonderland.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Gray was born of the union between a mortal woman and wyldefae - the results of Winter gone wild, but with just enough emotion to give this a chance at being a classic storybook tale. However, like the REAL stories, the recountings, if you will, of the Brothers Grimm, this would become much more like the Faerie tales of old. For ten years, Gray grew up with his mother, knowing his father was Sidhe, but not knowing much of the politics involved. He lived a veritable charmed life, but not the kind you might envision. When the older kid came to beat him up, a slip on the ice here or a random teacher showing up there kept him out of harm's way. By contrast, when he was about to break a school scoring record, he would trip prior to the shot, or commit a penalty. He survived a fall off the roof of the house with little more than a scratch, but managed to catch pneumonia prior to a field trip to meet the President.

He should have expected there would be an eventual accounting when he came home with the certificate for a free Playstation 3 and a note from the cute girl three seats over. He earned a crash course in Faerie politics when a Summer envoy came a-callin' on his mother. To Gray's father's credit, the old cat actually showed to defend his ... 'holdings.' However, ensuing fight between the Summer and Winter vassals was probably a bit much ... as was, undoubtedly, the unintentional killing of the object of their desires through an explosion that leveled the house and half the block. However, the woman's death did serve to force the withdraw of the conflict from here in the mortal realm to the Nevernever, a fight that was a break in the Accords.

Crawling out of the mattress truck (mattress truck? I mean, really?) he had landed in, Gray was suddenly alone, with no family or idea of who or what he truly was. Being left to fend for yourself as a half-breed Sidhe is bad enough - try doing it when you're ten and living in the ultimate city of Good vs Evil - Washington DC. Power brokers, major players, elder abominations, vampires, Hillary Clinton ... there are no small amount of sharks eager to find even a trace of blood in the water.

Phase Aspect: What the Luck? When Gray is at his highest points, it seems that life likes to bring him down a notch. However, when days are darkest, he is one of the luckiest sonsuvbiatches alive ...

Spoiler: Rising Conflict
    Show
    Gray was moved to a foster home initially, but that lifestyle didn't really take. It wasn't very hard to leave and disappear into the shadows, finding scraps, slipping in and out of shelters, and keeping off the radar of the bigger things that went bump in the night.

The first two years were the hardest - Nature may hate a vacuum, but she sure doesn't mind sucking the life out of you when she gets a chance. He barely made it, and learned a valuable lesson about survival in the big city - to go it alone, you'd better pack major mojo, or have some back-up. Even the 'danes figured that one - 'hang together or we all hang alone' ... or some crap like that.

As he entered his teenage years, Gray had a better handle on what he was, where to tread lightly, and where to not tread at all. Without a job, it was easier to take what he wanted and the consequences be dodged! Hell, if Robin Hood could do it and get a movie deal, Gray figured he could, too. He even joined a band of not-so-merry men and women. Well, girls and boys - other orphans, outcasts, street rats and guttersnipes. Group dynamics provided more eyes to watch each other's backs, more claws to defend themselves, and more hands to snake those pockets. It was a good gig for a couple of summers. His traditional education might have suffered, but he learned things on the streets with those kids that got him a GED in CYA. Plus, he earned the nickname Grim, a play on his lineage and a shout-out to his ever chipper demeanor and 'can-do' attitude!

However, if there was one truth he had learned, it was that life was always willing to give you a lesson about the ways of the world. As he neared maturity, Grim and his band ran afoul of a set of particularly nasty worshippers of best unforgotten elder gods. Apparently, they didn't take kindly to anyone stealing their artifacts prior to a summoning ritual - so much so that even after getting the artifacts back, they killed a half-dozen of the 'band' just as payback. It served as a reminder to all the kids that in the big game of life, there were some rolls that ended your turn - permanently. It also served as a cautionary tale about ruthlessness for the cultists. At least, the ones who survived the Red Court vamps that showed up at their next summoning party, based on an anonymous tip concerning a White Council Safe house.

The other lesson he learned was handed over via a group of Dudley Do-gooders who attempted to incarcerate more than a few of the band and execute the rest, displeased with their penchant for wanton thievery. One of the band had tipped the Wardens, but their consistent disregard for any semblance of subtlety was as much their undoing as the betrayal. Keeping a low profile was beneficial, something Grim should have remembered those parts from the movies, and subsequently he made sure their actions were on the down low. Leaving the large rambunctious group of Robin Hooders, Grim found a smaller sect of more demure Marxists, taking from each according to their ability, and providing to each according to their need. In time, they was able to strike a balance, hitting both sides of the fences ... one time it was the local grocery store, the next time it was a low-level mobster, always limited and low key. Never pissing off the same people enough to become a priority.

Over the next few years, Grim learned that trust was hard earned, but also that it was harder to give. While even a stone-cold survivalist like himself needed allies, he dreaded long associations. A few times, he grew a little to close - none of those seemed to end well, but they all ended, one way or another.

Eventually, Gray took to leaving first; sometimes before trouble found him, sometimes after, but always on his terms. He walked the line - confrontations w/o making enemies; assistance, w/o friendship. He looked for opportunities and established alliances where he could, but nothing permanent. He learned to survive the hard way. In life, nothing is easy. But it was better than the alternative.

Phase Aspect - Hardboiled: It's a hard world out there, and Grim knows it. He's seen the cold sh(* that lives in the darkness ... and sometimes it is him.

Spoiler: The Story-Alone and Unafraid
    Show
    Starring Alexander Drake, Dragon-born Scion; Magni son of Thor, Aesir; and Rosalie the Hedgewitch

After Gray reached maturity, he decided it was time to visit Daddy dearest. Unfortunately, for all his heritage, he had no idea how to open a way to the Nevernever. Determined to get an accounting of what happened that day long ago, Gray sought out a local practitioner named Rosalie, who was willing to open a Way across. He went, with a group of half-bloods, seeking out his father. The trip was tough, and the answers he found scarred him for life ... for the truth the Faerie tells is never the truth you hear. What he did learn was that both his father had been ostracized by the battle so many years ago, and was no longer welcome in the Courts of the Sidhe. By contrast, Summer had declared his father a foe, and Grim was his spawn. He was now outcast and disavowed by two Courts for the simple crime of being born to an arrogant prick. Isn't life amongst the Faeries grand?

Gray and the others barely made it out, with a warning that he was not welcome to in Nevernever without an official summons. He in turn declared his own private war against the Courts, vowing to harry their efforts until such time that his mortal bond said otherwise. His mortal bond being, of course, his deceased mother.

Phase Aspect - The Grudge: When it comes to the Sidhe, Gray is rarely swayed, by Faerie or others alike. He enjoys any opportunity to wreak havoc upon the workings of the Faerie world, and is often resistant to their manipulations

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Skills
    Superb (1): Alertness
    Great (2): Fists, Guns
    Good (3): Conviction, Endurance, Presense
    Fair (4): Athletics, Intimidation, Investigation, Lore
    Average (6): Contacts, Deceit, Burglary, Stealth, Survival, Resources

Stunts & Powers
    -4: Supernatural Speed
    -1: Claws
    -2: Inhuman recovery
    -2: Inhuman toughess
    -2: Supernatural Senses
    See in the Dark
    Ears like a Cat
    Smells Magic
    +3: The Catch: Faerie weaknesses
    -0: Human Guise

Power level: Submerged
    Skill Cap: Superb
    Skill points spent / Available: 35/35
    Base Refresh: 10
    Adjusted Refresh: 2
    Total Refresh Adjustment: -8

Spoiler: Guest Staring Roles - TBD
    Show
    Phase Four (Guest Star): "Coming soon"
    - Starring ?? and guest stars Grim et al

Grim had only been in town a couple of weeks and was still feeling out Houston. He was slinking home from a night of bad intentions, sipping on a small bottle of whiskey when he smelled something in the air. Pausing in an alleyway ... "Name's Gray. But you can call me Grim."

With that, Grim gained his first ally in a new town ... and a whole mess of enemies.

Phase Aspect - Making the List: Grim has an innate talent for gaining allies whenever he arrives in town, but it usually involves earning a few enemies as well. What's the difference between a rep and a bounty? Both get you street cred ... and might get you killed.

Phase Five (Guest Star Redux): "Coming soon II: Electric Boogaloo"
    - Starring ???, with guest stars Grim et al

A small desert town lies under a cloud of fear. A pack of hexenwolves stalks the fields, taking animals and men alike. Authorities are baffled, and the howls grow louder every night. Many begin to give up hope.

But then, one day, a stranger drifts into town ...

When the gang decides to take a road trip for a little fun, Gray agrees on a spur of the moment. Unfortunately, running out of gas in a small hick town filled with wide-eyed mortals wasn't quite the excitement they were looking for. When a group of hexenwolves start to howl at the moon, Gray finds himself in a party that he wants no part of and flying by the seat of his pants.

Perfect.

Phase Aspect - Ready, Shoot, Aim: With reflexes like lightning, Gray tends to act on impulse and instinct, and worry about the consequences later. When push comes to shove, Grim will usually get the drop first ... but failing to plan could mean planning to fail.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Alrighty, it's the last day for submissions. If you still need to get your character made, now's the time to do it.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sort of dissatisfied with how the story is with Anna. I'll post it soon but I might need to tweak some bits/rewrite some if I'm accepted in.

Spoiler: Ghost
    Show

Anna Clark
    ~~~
    Houston's Grey Lady

Lingering Ghost

10 Refresh
    Spirit Form (-3)
    Swift Transition (-2)
    No Mortal Home (+1)
    Incite Potent Lasting Emotion At Range [Paranoia] (-4)
    Supernatural Toughness (-1) Catch: Fire
    Ghostly Constitution (0)

Refresh: 1

Skills
    Superb: Performance, Intimidation.
    Great: Stealth, Presence.
    Good: Conviction, Discipline.
    Fair: Alertness, Scholarship, Investigation.
    Average: Lore, Endurance, Empathy, Athletics, Survival.

Trouble: Let Me Rest
    "For many decades I have been trapped. The weight is lifting, and I drift sometimes, but some cruel thing still ties me here..."

Background: Darling Husband
    Aspect Trust No One
    Spoiler: Background
    Show
    I lived, long ago. In my life, I was happy. My family and my home were perfect. I had two beautiful children, a wonderful sister, the most caring parents, and of course, my darling husband. I don't remember the exact dates, but I remember the birth of Houston. I remember the first buildings and the conflict of the early days. I remember, distinctly, what happened to me, and the thing that did this to me. If I were to be honest, I'd have to admit that perhaps I realised something wasn't right with the land from the start. I was unaware of magic at this time, and the types of things that used it. I didn't know about wizards or magic, but ghosts were a common fancy of the ladies in my circle at the time. We would play at oracles and mediums for fun, not realising the things we most likely disturbed in doing so. Moving here was a mistake, I know that now, but I didn't know that then, and how could I have known? How could I know that one day, my husband would be driven to madness by some infernal thing that we had brought upon us? How could I be expected to anticipate the savagery? They dug a pit in the cellar and tossed my body in like so much trash, covered it with everything they could.

I often consider the last fleeting moments and how easy it had been, to simply not be. At the time, I was shocked. I railed against death and life itself, screamed in fury and horror until the house was condemned, then louder until the neighbours moved out. It was difficult for me to do the same for a long time. Since then, my bones have sunk deep, deeper into the ground, and then, tremors and earthquakes have spread me about the place yet more. I have a fingerbone in every metaphysical pie around here. But as they wear down, I slowly become less substantial, less together. One day, I know I'll fade altogether... I'd like a proper burial before that happens, although I don't fear His judgement. Not anymore. There are bigger things out there, things like me.

Rising Conflict: Trapped In Houston
    Aspect Nothing Beside Remains
    Spoiler: Rising Conflict
    Show
    I was trapped in my home for a long time, unable to do anything but watch as my family drifted away from the tragedy of my disappearance. They didn't speak about me, not even my own children. My husband was rendered mute by his shame, which only worsened as I haunted every moment of dreaming and waking. Of course, I confronted the thing that had driven him mad, something alike to myself, something that had been filled with impossible bounds of anger. It was something that I had somehow called through my pathetic rituals. We clashed over many years, but I was more grounded to this place. No matter how much it forced me to retreat, no matter how far I was banished, I knew my way back. I eventually managed to force it away, perhaps for good. All I know is that I haven't seen it return from the place I had called it from.

Being so firmly grounded though, wasn't good. I did my best to disturb my ground, I would push the boundaries of how far I could go. I tried to help people, and I admit, that rather selfishly, I would take petty vengeance on those who had wronged me in life. They had mostly moved on from me at that point. When they saw my eyes through their windows, felt my presence, they didn't know why. There were no lessons to be learned there. My expenditure and shows of force though, they helped me focus. I could exert my force better, travel further. So, I nurtured my talents, until I'd managed to reach what felt like a wall. From there, I spent a long while just wandering the streets. People began to speak of me. They never discovered my name, I was just another Grey Lady. Some said that I was from another age, as if that made sense. They spoke of my singing, my looks. It was a long while before I met somebody who was willing to properly speak with me. I spent a while helping out a lost warlock, though they died within a few years, occupational hazard. After, I just kept exploring, watching as the world around me changed. I don't think I can name one building that has been in this place for as long as I have been.

The Story: This Is My Home
    Aspect Over My Dead Body
    Spoiler: The Story
    Show
    I've become proud of this place, strangely. Once, I admit, I despised it. This is the place where I had been murdered. My family left. My children grew without me, and ran to other parts of the world. I know they must have died, but it's hard to feel sorry for the passing of any particular people. Even those that were once close to me. I know these streets now. They change so quickly these days, but I know this city in the same way I once knew my body. I know that beneath these streets it rots away eternally. Perhaps I have entirely decomposed and only my bones lie there, slowly becoming fossils. I don't know what I fight for, but if I can, in some way, make this place better, I'll try to do it. I was never one for charity. In life, I was rich, afforded all the benefits that someone of my status would have held. I was vain and selfish and bitter. Now, such earthly concerns are alien to me. What use does a ghost have for the finest silks and cottons? I don't think I can call myself a good person, or indeed, I don't know if I qualify for personhood at all. I am a monster, but I'm a better monster than I ever was a woman in life.

These days, I try to protect people. I'm sure that people would object to my presence if I continued my old habits of haunting and terrorising the locals. Although I've gained some power, I don't really want to go toe to toe with any sort of magic. Even if I managed to take a wizard or sorcerer out, they'd surely drag me with them to wherever ghosts go to when they get on the wrong side of the big guns. Still, I need my exercise, so I do what I can to make my corner of the world better. I scare away the undesirables, and to those who threaten the innocent I say "Over My Dead Body."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm not going to get my character done, but I think I'll see about working on her some more for a future DFRPG. Enjoy!
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Alrighty, in about rightish hours after I'm done with werk, I'll make character selections! Game will start sooooon

-------------------------------------

OKAY, sorry that I didn't do this yesterday, but here I am! The four winners who get to check out this thread aaaare

Wuff
    Eternis
    Starbin
    Avian Malkavian

To others, stick around here for a while. If a person doesn't post in the new thread within five days, I might call upon you to replace them.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2019-10-06 at 09:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bumping for those who rely on new message notifications rather than thinking to check the thread.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    Bumping for those who rely on new message notifications rather than thinking to check the thread.
    Much obliged still trying to work off a double posting infraction, didn't want to risk it

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

*perks up*

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AvianMalkavian dropped out, so I'll be accepting the first person that wanted to apply who posts in the OOC thread as their replacement.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Oooh, claimed!
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2019-10-08 at 06:11 PM.