New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Uphill battle

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Uphill battle

Quick question, guys. I was planning for a steep uphill battle (the party starts at the foot of a hill and has to fight its way up) and in addition to any other terrain features on the map was thinking about a general rule to make every movement uphill to be treated as difficult terrain, whereas moving sideways or downhill would be treated normally. Also, ridges you can't jump on to from below but that you can easily jump down from. Just wondering if anybody has done something similar and can point out possible caveats I'm overlooking.
    Last edited by Iksilak; 2019-09-26 at 02:41 PM.
    "Becoming conscious of racism does not mean you are a racist."
    ― Auliq Ice

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Uphill battle

You should have combat advantage on anyone downhill from you.

I might also reduce the accuracy or range going uphill:
    All ranged attacks beyond 5 squares uphill are considered long range and suffer a -2 penalty to hit.

Squares going uphill or diagonal count as twice as far when placing a ranged area attack center and for which squares are in a close burst or blast.

Squares "strait downhill" do not count for long range calculating purposes; diagonal "downhill" squares do. So if the foe is within long range, and within "short" range horizontally, you do not suffer a -2 penalty to hit.
    This is intended to make the downhill folks still be able to engage uphill, but find it hard. They'll have -2 to hit, the enemies have +2. AOEs are shorter range going uphill, but simple ranged attacks are not (just suffer the -2 to hit penalty).

You could also add a rule that every 2 squares of forced movement you are pushed 1 square downhill.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-09-26 at 03:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Uphill battle

Hmm, its pretty hard to parry attacks to your feet and shins against an opponent who is downhill of you. I might give CA to certain attacks that prone, slow or immobilize.

I also note that moving "sideways" on a slope can actually be quite difficult depending on the direction you are facing.

4e isn't really all that simulationist and doesn't handle this sort of thing well (the lack of rules regarding facing being an example of simplicity being chosen over accurate modelling). I find if you want it to be at all simulationist you have to make a lot of ad hoc rulings and not worry about strict adherence to the rules.