New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Which of these (on the list below) do you think were NOT invented in Star Wars?

1.) Negative energy bubble- An alternative to Hyperspace. This is how the Alcubierre drive would work.

2.) Artificial cosmogenesis- This would be the creation of a new Star from scratch.

3.) Cosmic Ray sail- A sail ship that is powered by cosmic rays.

4.) Monopolium- https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0701133

5.) Mezoelectronics-electronics of the nanoscale with components using the effect of a strong dimensional quantum.

6.) Bias drive-https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclope ... drive.html

7.) Gravitational balloon- Completely hollow shell worlds created on a planetary or larger scale by contained gas alone

8.) Gastrobots- A pit droid drank beer in Star Wars Resistance but that might just be for comedic effect. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrobot

9.) Axion field propulsion- Alternative to Hyperdrive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tors...pseudoscience)

10.) Artificial gill- I think the Jedi aqua breather counts but they were said to have a 2 hour oxygen supply. Kazuda had something similar to Star Wars Resistance, but it was never profiled and he was only down their for less than an hour.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arti..._gills_(human)

11.) Applications of Magnetic nanoparticles- Currently not commercialized in Earth but we are getting their.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_nanoparticles

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Which of these (on the list below) do you think were NOT invented in Star Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    7.) Gravitational balloon- Completely hollow shell worlds created on a planetary or larger scale by contained gas alone
    This is beyond Star Wars technology - if you think that the Death Star - a moon-sized planetoid was regarded as impossible, but was just buildable by the empire (and no one else) then planetary-sized building projects are beyond their technology.

This also means that writing a story about one has to be set in the Star Wars future as they really don't have the tech to do it in the time period of the films.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Which of these (on the list below) do you think were NOT invented in Star Wars?

Why does it matter if any of them were invented in Star Wars? I have over 120 EU (now Legends) novels. I have most of the current canon novels. I have a bunch of comics. I have a ton of the video games. At no point ever have I cared about whether a technology in any of the stories was new. All I cared about when reading, ever, was how good the story is. Because that's it. That's all that matters. You could write a story entirely about some people in Mos Eisley - no Jedi, no Force users, just some people living on a crappy planet - and if the story is interesting, that's a great Star Wars story.

Stop obsessing about the technology. It doesn't matter. It's background noise, and you've turned the volume so high that it's deafening you to anything else.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why does it matter if any of them were invented in Star Wars? I have over 120 EU (now Legends) novels. I have most of the current canon novels. I have a bunch of comics. I have a ton of the video games. At no point ever have I cared about whether a technology in any of the stories was new. All I cared about when reading, ever, was how good the story is. Because that's it. That's all that matters. You could write a story entirely about some people in Mos Eisley - no Jedi, no Force users, just some people living on a crappy planet - and if the story is interesting, that's a great Star Wars story.

Stop obsessing about the technology. It doesn't matter. It's background noise, and you've turned the volume so high that it's deafening you to anything else.
    No. I’m not writing a story anymore. I love reading about future tech (it’s my hobby) and I love speculating if it can fit in Star Wars (my other hobby)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    1.)
    3.) Cosmic Ray sail- A sail ship that is powered by cosmic rays.
    According to Wikipedia the idea for Solar Sail powered craft can be traced back as far as 1610

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Which predates Star Wars by a bit
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    According to Wikipedia the idea for Solar Sail powered craft can be traced back as far as 1610

Nonsense. Star Wars was a long time ago. It's, like, the first words in the movie!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post

I know that. Count Dooku’s ship was a solar sailer. This idea I got on Facebook: a sail that uses high energy cosmic rays for propulsion.

In retrospect; it’s probably the weakest idea on my list.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Most of these are things that were present in good Hard SF (not the pseudo-fantasy, space-opera, or artsy-Pollack-crap genres that dominate today) long before the Star Wars EU kicked into gear.
    Source: Most of my science fiction was bought from used book stores in the early '90s and dates back to before 1980.
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-09-26 at 05:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    This is beyond Star Wars technology - if you think that the Death Star - a moon-sized planetoid was regarded as impossible, but was just buildable by the empire (and no one else) then planetary-sized building projects are beyond their technology.
    In the Legends continuity, ancient alien technology consistently outranks the capabilities of the Human Republic (and later Imperial) populace. The Iokath species built a Dyson Sphere called Iokath thousands of years before the films, establishing that massive megastructures are indeed possible in Star Wars.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    In the Legends continuity, ancient alien technology consistently outranks the capabilities of the Human Republic (and later Imperial) populace. The Iokath species built a Dyson Sphere called Iokath thousands of years before the films, establishing that massive megastructures are indeed possible in Star Wars.
    See also the Star Forge and the entire freaking Correllian system.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Here's an odd one.

Paper does not exist in the Star Wars Universe, at least currently. All maps are holographic projections. Everything is read off display screens. Even messages are holograms

Outside of one droid army vehicles, no major vehicles have wheels. and that vehicle might actually be hovertech.

SO there are two things that might not have been invented in the Star Wars Universe: paper and the wheel
    Hello world. . .

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Here's an odd one.

Paper does not exist in the Star Wars Universe, at least currently. All maps are holographic projections. Everything is read off display screens. Even messages are holograms

Outside of one droid army vehicles, no major vehicles have wheels. and that vehicle might actually be hovertech.

SO there are two things that might not have been invented in the Star Wars Universe: paper and the wheel
    Star Wars has flimsiplast (effectively paper) and wheels (R2-D2 uses wheels when the tripod leg is extended, for example).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Outside of one droid army vehicles, no major vehicles have wheels.
    The Juggernaut says hello.

14. - Top - End - #14

The HAVw A6 Juggernaut used by the Grand Army of the Republic would appear to me to be a major wheeled armored fighting vehicle and is unquestionably within Star Wars canon as several can be seen in Revenge of the Sith during the fighting on Kashyyyk.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Depending on the canonicity of Lucas's commentary, underwear might still not exist.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-10-04 at 10:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Depending on the canonicity of Lucas's commentary, underwear might still not exist.
    I bet the makers of KOTOR felt really silly when they made everyone wear underwear when you stripped their gear.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet the makers of KOTOR felt really silly when they made everyone wear underwear when you stripped their gear.

That's not underwear. That's a very unpleasant skin disease that was rampant throughout the galaxy at the time. It was only cured after the discovery of bacta.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2019-10-04 at 06:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Which of these (on the list below) do you think were NOT invented in Star Wars?

Here's an odd one.

Rey grabbed some pages from the Jedi Scriptures before Yoda burned down the Temple. So there is at least a few pieces of paper around. Alas, the ability to make more may have been lost to the ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I know sunglasses* don't exist either, or at the very least are banned for pod racing audiences on desert planets.

*Not to be confused with tinted visors on badass helmets
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGuy

Here's an odd one.
    Outside of one droid army vehicles, no major vehicles have wheelsl
    Inside of droid army vehicles, there's no room to drive.
    Now with half the calories!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Personally, I find it interesting that despite being far more high-tech than our world, people in Star Wars still have to collect data in physical objects. What, did they never invent backing up to the Internet HoloNet?

Speaking of the HoloNet...sometimes Star Wars really reminds you that it's from the late seventies and early eighties. Namely with the overuse of 'Holo' as a prefix. It's actually kind of charming in that way.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Personally, I find it interesting that despite being far more high-tech than our world, people in Star Wars still have to collect data in physical objects. What, did they never invent backing up to the Internet HoloNet?

Speaking of the HoloNet...sometimes Star Wars really reminds you that it's from the late seventies and early eighties. Namely with the overuse of 'Holo' as a prefix. It's actually kind of charming in that way.
    In the case of Star Wars it's partially on purpose. The space battles are modeled after WW1 dogfights, people use pack animals where cars would be much more useful, there is no paper, and light sabers are, well, self-explanatory. Star Wars is an adventure setting with a sci-fi theme, it's not a prediction of any kind of realistic future.

Star Wars contains many of the same "failures to predict" that Star Trek does, but if Star Trek had been thought up only yesterday they would have handled those things differently (like say more compact and user friendly or maybe even holographic data slates with more pictures and videos that don't look like an ancient brick next to a smartphone), while Star Wars could have chosen to still do things the same way because they like that better for their setting, for the retrocool.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    In the case of Star Wars it's partially on purpose. The space battles are modeled after WW1 dogfights, people use pack animals where cars would be much more useful, there is no paper, and light sabers are, well, self-explanatory. Star Wars is an adventure setting with a sci-fi theme, it's not a prediction of any kind of realistic future.

Star Wars contains many of the same "failures to predict" that Star Trek does, but if Star Trek had been thought up only yesterday they would have handled those things differently (like say more compact and user friendly or maybe even holographic data slates with more pictures and videos that don't look like an ancient brick next to a smartphone), while Star Wars could have chosen to still do things the same way because they like that better for their setting, for the retrocool.
    Star Wars is on occasion so unapologetically 80s’ that it ceases to be tacky or corny and instead becomes charmingly dated. In another ten years or so, we’ll probably feel the same way about the prequels.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

24. - Top - End - #24

Darth Vader really wanted those stolen data... tapes?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

In all fairness, it’s probably a lot harder to write a script around hacking into the internet.

26. - Top - End - #26

In all fairness, it’s probably a lot harder to write a script around hacking into the internet.
    Oh, no, I'm just mocking that Lucas (understandably, in 1977) had the Star Wars universe working off tape. Frankly, I'm surprised that Death Star-sized stations weren't the standard, given how much room they'd need for data storage, let alone the machines themselves!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, well, it would have sounded really dumb if he was after data-grompls. The same way a science fiction film today would say drive (or maybe even still disk). Because grompls still sounds stupid.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don’t even try to comprehend the linguistics of Star Wars. It’s a fool’s errand.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Yeah, well, it would have sounded really dumb if he was after data-grompls. The same way a science fiction film today would say drive (or maybe even still disk). Because grompls still sounds stupid.
    Yeah, they should have made up a different thing than grompls. Like data cylinders or something.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, they should have made up a different thing than grompls. Like data cylinders or something.
    Would probably still have sounded a little silly to the audience of the time, but point granted.