The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Remnant: From the Ashes

    BF and I started playing this game and it's scratching my looter-shooter itch quite well, especially for only $40. I lost count of all my deaths but the game is fair rather than punishing. I'm a Hunter and he's Ex-Cultist.

    If you can imagine Resident Evil 4, Dark Souls and Grim Dawn having a wild orgy in an alleyway... then I find your imagination quite disturbing

    Anyone else playing this, and what do you think so far? (Spoiler tags please!)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    I'm having a good time with it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the Grim Dawn aesthetic, too. I do find it a bit frustrating how much it seems to rely on overwhelming you with a bunch of enemies, though, especially during the boss fights. I imagine it's more manageable with 2 players, of course.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    I'm having a good time with it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the Grim Dawn aesthetic, too. I do find it a bit frustrating how much it seems to rely on overwhelming you with a bunch of enemies, though, especially during the boss fights. I imagine it's more manageable with 2 players, of course.
    Very much so. But like Dark Souls, you can set your game to Public for a tough boss fight and get some help. Any mats/currency you pick up persist between attempts too, so you can brute-force some encounters by constantly upgrading your gear and traits. That never makes it easy but it does help.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    I will admit that, having finished Earth, I went and looked some stuff up ("when am I going to get a better primary"). So now I'm redoing it in Adventure mode in the hopes of getting some things that I didn't get the first time. Not because of lack of exploration, mind you, just because the way the game rolls maps means you can get all the way to the end of Earth without getting access to any long guns other than the starting ones and one other.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2019-09-26 at 11:40 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    BF and I started playing this game and it's scratching my looter-shooter itch quite well, especially for only $40. I lost count of all my deaths but the game is fair rather than punishing. I'm a Hunter and he's Ex-Cultist.
    Great game, though a bit lacking in post-game content, at least when me and some friends blitzed through it at launch.

    Keep in mind BTW your class doesn't really matter. Most abilities are determined by gear and the skills (I forget what they're called), neither of which are class specific. Each character STARTS with a unique skill, but all of them can be obtained in-game by completing certain tasks. My only real gripe is that starting as Hunter (like I did too) is basically pointless; the Shadow Walker skill you get is REALLY easy to acquire in-game but Spirit (from Ex-Cultist) and Warrior (from Scrapper) are much more difficult.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    the Shadow Walker skill you get is REALLY easy to acquire in-game but Spirit (from Ex-Cultist) and Warrior (from Scrapper) are much more difficult.
    I just did the maths for the heck of it, based on this spoileriffic summary:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame...eon_locations/

    Assuming equal probabilities of each event, you are about 2.5x more likely to get the Shadow Walker trait than either of the other two (7/15 vs 3/15).

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Great game, though a bit lacking in post-game content, at least when me and some friends blitzed through it at launch.

    Keep in mind BTW your class doesn't really matter. Most abilities are determined by gear and the skills (I forget what they're called), neither of which are class specific. Each character STARTS with a unique skill, but all of them can be obtained in-game by completing certain tasks. My only real gripe is that starting as Hunter (like I did too) is basically pointless; the Shadow Walker skill you get is REALLY easy to acquire in-game but Spirit (from Ex-Cultist) and Warrior (from Scrapper) are much more difficult.
    Warrior is nigh-useless though. Spirit is okay but I have waaay better things to boost before that, like Exploiter, Vigor, Fast Hands and Glutton.

    I went for a pseudo-Diablo 2 strat of just pumping Vigor until I had the more damage-oriented traits.

    Hunter starts with rifle which I found extremely handy until I got my sniper so I wasn't mad about it, and that Widowmaker ult mod they start with is nice too.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Warrior is nigh-useless though. Spirit is okay but I have waaay better things to boost before that, like Exploiter, Vigor, Fast Hands and Glutton.
    Shadow Walker is nigh-useless too, so really the classes just save you some money. Assuming you don't end up buying everything anyway like I did.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Shadow Walker is nigh-useless too, so really the classes just save you some money. Assuming you don't end up buying everything anyway like I did.
    For solo play I'd much rather have SW than Warrior myself. The former is B-tier while the latter is C-tier.

    But as mentioned, none of the starting traits really matter anyway, other than Vigor.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    The main difference between Shadow Walker and Warrior is that the latter is build-defining/facilitating while the former is not. I'd also hesitate to pay much attention to a guide written right after the game came out. I waited until after the first major patch to write my build guide(may also be slightly outdated, haven't paid attention to the patch notes the last couple of weeks) for it.

    There are some solid melee builds out there (especially using the Akari Set for mondo melee speed), and all will want Warrior. Spirit is a key trait for a lot of builds too.

    The Hunter's rifle, mod, and armor are rad...but all purchasable on the cheap from the moment you return to Ward 13.

    It's not a HUGE deal, mind you, just a minor gripe about "class" parity.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-09-27 at 01:58 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    It might be worth pointing out that I play on PC, mouse+keyboard setup, and so I find the melee combat to be especially clunky when you're clicking for every swing. Long-range is much more my style on setups like this. So I might be biased.

    With that said, even with the starting 3 points in SW and a loud co-op partner stomping around everywhere, I've gotten the drop on some priority targets for a clean headshot. So I'm pretty interested to find out how that trait would play when it's maxed out, and in a solo environment.

    With that said, I will criticize the game because stealth mechanics should always, always have clear indicators, whether that's of outright success or just when you're correctly attempting stealth. Simply decreasing some aggro radius or cone that I have no way of envisioning leads quickly to discussions like this, where nobody is clear on the benefit that investing in the stealth skill provides.

    Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    I will admit that, having finished Earth, I went and looked some stuff up ("when am I going to get a better primary"). So now I'm redoing it in Adventure mode in the hopes of getting some things that I didn't get the first time. Not because of lack of exploration, mind you, just because the way the game rolls maps means you can get all the way to the end of Earth without getting access to any long guns other than the starting ones and one other.
    I don't mind - Rifle and Shotgun can certainly get you through Earth, and before long you'll have the boss mats to craft some of the more exotic guns. If you get nothing else good from Earth due to RNG, I would tough it out and keep going. But yes, I found the sniper rifle shortly after the church and didn't look back; I have it at 10 now (with maxed out Quick Hands and Exploiter, working on Executioner now) and any boss with an accessible weak point gets crazy numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I found the sniper rifle shortly after the church and didn't look back; I have it at 10 now (with maxed out Quick Hands and Exploiter, working on Executioner now) and any boss with an accessible weak point gets crazy numbers.
    Yeah, I love the sniper rifle, but it's not ideal for the extremely frenetic combat the game kinda pushes on you.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Yeah, I love the sniper rifle, but it's not ideal for the extremely frenetic combat the game kinda pushes on you.
    Isn't it? I've found it very effective at one-shotting adds and doing heavy burst to bosses from a safe distance when they have weakness phases (e.g. the Dragon exposing its heart.) But again, my experience may be off since I'm not playing the game solo - if I were I would probably lean more towards a tanky Scrapper Shotgun sort of build.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It might be worth pointing out that I play on PC, mouse+keyboard setup, and so I find the melee combat to be especially clunky when you're clicking for every swing. Long-range is much more my style on setups like this. So I might be biased.
    I play on PC, but anything 3rd person I tend to use a controller for anyway. Once you swap to third person perspective you've decided accuracy isn't a huge factor in your game already, situational awareness is instead the focus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    With that said, even with the starting 3 points in SW and a loud co-op partner stomping around everywhere, I've gotten the drop on some priority targets for a clean headshot. So I'm pretty interested to find out how that trait would play when it's maxed out, and in a solo environment.

    With that said, I will criticize the game because stealth mechanics should always, always have clear indicators, whether that's of outright success or just when you're correctly attempting stealth. Simply decreasing some aggro radius or cone that I have no way of envisioning leads quickly to discussions like this, where nobody is clear on the benefit that investing in the stealth skill provides.
    This was my issue with Shadow Walker in a nutshell. I jammed 10 ranks into it early and saw basically no benefit beyond what the base 1 rank you get in it for free is.



    Re: Sniper Rifle: It's good; all single shot weapons are good since the Bandit set and Slayer sets exist. They only nerfed Devastator with Bandit so you still have like a 60% chance to get another shot with the rifle.

    It gets iffy with all the adds later bosses have though.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I play on PC, but anything 3rd person I tend to use a controller for anyway. Once you swap to third person perspective you've decided accuracy isn't a huge factor in your game already, situational awareness is instead the focus.
    Accuracy is just as important in TPS games as FPS, see Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space for example where precision shots are basically mandatory unless you're playing on the lowest difficulties. (Though in all of these games, including Remnant, sniping is first-person anyway so it's moot.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This was my issue with Shadow Walker in a nutshell. I jammed 10 ranks into it early and saw basically no benefit beyond what the base 1 rank you get in it for free is.
    I think we can agree unequivocally on this much, games that can't tell you how useful stealth is have no business trying to do stealth. Having to guess is a waste of everyone's time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Re: Sniper Rifle: It's good; all single shot weapons are good since the Bandit set and Slayer sets exist. They only nerfed Devastator with Bandit so you still have like a 60% chance to get another shot with the rifle.

    It gets iffy with all the adds later bosses have though.
    My sidearm is a SMG (currently Spitfire, I believe I got it off the dragon boss?) which is exactly the tactic I used in RE4 and ME2 onward. If there are swarms of little adds then that is totally fine, while if there are big adds I usually want to be sniping them anyway for quick cleanup.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    The great thing about Remnant is pretty much every weapon is good (except, sadly, the Ricochet Rifle. I spent way too much time trying to make it work). I like the SMG as a sidearm as well since it builds mod juice really fast. Great in the [Redacted] fight. I hate [Redacted].

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Remnant: From the Ashes

    So we just beat it. And the ending soured us on the game quite a bit.

    Without spoiling anything here, this thread (spoilers obviously) does a good job of summing up why. The game was very clearly rushed out the door for its last chapter and it shows, both in the meager plot resolution and the absolutely ridiculous final boss that all-but requires very specific weapon mods to defeat. Mods that didn't spawn in our entire playthrough, might I add, so after a few hours of frustration we ended up cheating our way past it.

    This game has a lot of potential but the devs still have work to do. Supposedly free DLC is coming out to add flesh to the ending. And apparently there is a prequel to this game called Chronos that explains where some of the characters came from?

    I don't think the game was ruined by the last hour or anything, far from it; we'll likely be diving into adventure mode on a higher difficulty. But that disappointment is going to stick with me the longest out of any of the emotions I felt while playing I think.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-09-30 at 02:22 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •