New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Ethereal Defiler warlock?

Though dull, ethereal defi lers have an innate connection to tainted magical energy, allowing them to advance in the warlock class (Complete Arcane 5). When they do so, they gain nearly all of the warlock’s class features normally. However, the damage dealt by the warlock’s eldritch blast class feature stacks with that dealt by the ethereal defiler’s tainted energy ability. The damage reduction
    a warlock gains also stacks with the ethereal defiler’s innate damage reduction.
    What does this mean, specifically? Does that mean a defiler with warlock levels adds the eldritch blast damage on top of the Tainted Energy damage? Would that also include the bonus from, say, a Chausible of Fell Power?

Also, what invocations, feats, and items would work well for an Ethereal Defiler Warlock 4? Actually, would that count as an associated class?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Ethereal Defiler warlock?

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Does that mean a defiler with warlock levels adds the eldritch blast damage on top of the Tainted Energy damage?
    You would just add the 6d6 from Tainted Energy to the Warlock's Eldritch blast damage. If you have a Chausible of Fell Power, you would then add the damage bonus from that, to your eldritch blast.

As for items, the Chausible of Fell Power is a solid choice for items. From there I guess you'd want to pick other stuff that makes your Eldritch Blast more flexible, like a Gloves of Energy Admixture, Bracers of Blast Barrier, Bracers of the Entangling Blast. Whats your budget look like?

Mortalbane is an alright feat (+2d6 damage 5/day against non-undead, outsiders, and constructs, but half damage against those). Depends on what you are looking to do. If you're looking to just bump your Eldritch Blast, than the other Metamagic Spell-like ability feats might be up your alley way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ethereal Defiler warlock?

Quote Originally Posted by Afghanistan View Post
    You would just add the 6d6 from Tainted Energy to the Warlock's Eldritch blast damage. If you have a Chausible of Fell Power, you would then add the damage bonus from that, to your eldritch blast.

As for items, the Chausible of Fell Power is a solid choice for items. From there I guess you'd want to pick other stuff that makes your Eldritch Blast more flexible, like a Gloves of Energy Admixture, Bracers of Blast Barrier, Bracers of the Entangling Blast. Whats your budget look like?

Mortalbane is an alright feat (+2d6 damage 5/day against non-undead, outsiders, and constructs, but half damage against those). Depends on what you are looking to do. If you're looking to just bump your Eldritch Blast, than the other Metamagic Spell-like ability feats might be up your alley way.
    So, Tainted Energy's damage stays the same, but Eldritch Blast's damage increases by that much? Considering that Tainted Energy is a swift action, I guess that's not bad since you can still use both in the same round...

Should I get Practiced Spellcaster(warlock) on this thing? I wonder if the defiler warlock would be enough of a challenge for CR 20, even if for a "boss encounter", so to speak. Then again, considering the typical ethereal defiler's tactics, the EDW would likely take a couple of rounds to use buffing items on the Ethereal...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.