New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Where To Go In England?

Everyone else has given excellent advice, so I'm going to focus on the one place that doesn't seem to have come up: Devon. Beautiful scenery (the entirety of South Devon is officially listed as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), very rural and easy access to Highclere Castle (trains run directly from Exeter to Newbury and you can get to Exeter from pretty much anywhere in the county). I spent a very enjoyable week in Salcombe last year, but it's a bit hard to get to with luggage (horrible roads and worse public transport). Thinking about it a bit more, I think my specific recomendation is Totnes. It's historic, within the aforementioned Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a short train journey from Exeter (and therefore Newbury and Highclere Castle) and certainly not a "big city" by any reasonable definition (population of 8076, as per the last census).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd add another area that might be of interest - the Northumbria coast. Not only do you have stunning, empty beaches but you also have really rugged landscapes not far away, Holy Island (Lindisfarne), loads of castles (several along the coast - Warkworth, Dunstanburgh, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne), Hadrian's Wall, the North Pennines and of course the Harry Potter experience at Alnwick Castle.

It's a long way North (300 miles or so) from London but well worth the journey. You may find the accents a challenge though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You could spend a night in a double-decker bus . . . nothing says England more that that!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/trip...nb7Kz#image=32

Bonus points for dressing up like wizards from Harry Potter!
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-10-25 at 08:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
    I'd add another area that might be of interest - the Northumbria coast. Not only do you have stunning, empty beaches but you also have really rugged landscapes not far away, Holy Island (Lindisfarne), loads of castles (several along the coast - Warkworth, Dunstanburgh, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne), Hadrian's Wall, the North Pennines and of course the Harry Potter experience at Alnwick Castle.

It's a long way North (300 miles or so) from London but well worth the journey. You may find the accents a challenge though.
    If you are in Alnwick I would also recommend the Poison Garden (You'll never look at an apple the same way again) and the country's largest second-hand bookshop.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If you are in Alnwick I would also recommend the Poison Garden (You'll never look at an apple the same way again) and the country's largest second-hand bookshop.
    Wait, Barter Books is the largest second-hand bookshop in Britain? I haven't ever brought a measuring wheel, but I'd be surprised if it were larger than the Astley Book Farm. Unless we're going by number of books, of course, in which case (ignoring internet sellers), it would probably be that shop in Hay on Wye with the near-infinite basement (which I can't remember the name of, and can't really search for what with the entire village being full of second hand bookshops and all).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Wait, Barter Books is the largest second-hand bookshop in Britain? I haven't ever brought a measuring wheel, but I'd be surprised if it were larger than the Astley Book Farm. Unless we're going by number of books, of course, in which case (ignoring internet sellers), it would probably be that shop in Hay on Wye with the near-infinite basement (which I can't remember the name of, and can't really search for what with the entire village being full of second hand bookshops and all).
    This blog article may be worth perusing: http://wormwoodiana.blogspot.com/201...ps-in.html?m=1

Apparently, Barter Books only claims to be "one of the biggest"...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I suspect that when you get to any of those places measuring them will be the last thing on your mind...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Perhaps more importantly, the southeast is the warmest, driest part of the UK. If you like that kind of weather, that could be a good reason to spend some time there.
    I am late to this, but I feel I should note that "warmest, driest part of the UK" is not the same as "warm and dry", if you are operating according to any sort of international frame of reference...
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I am late to this, but I feel I should note that "warmest, driest part of the UK" is not the same as "warm and dry", if you are operating according to any sort of international frame of reference...
    Hah. Yes, that statement was relative rather than absolute.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Meh, it's all relative. Compared with, say, Arizona, no part of the UK could be called very warm or dry. But compared with, say, Vermont, it's both those things.

Summer is generally cooler and wetter than you might expect if you calibrate by continental (American, European or Asian) standards, but conversely winter is warmer and drier. (It's still worth timing your visit for summer, though, because of the length of daylight - in midwinter, even in the south of England, you don't get much more than about 8 hours.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain