New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default D&d 5e-ish RPG: Solasta

So Nookriun released a video of that game and...

OK. I don't know if it's actually 5e - subclass names and subrace names don't match 5e - but the system makes it look very similar. I am only 2.5 minutes into the video.

What really interested me was the conversation system. You conversation choice is dependant on.. Which party member speaks up.

Thats actually interesting. Anyone else has more details on that game?

Edit: Wait. No. Not soon released. It's barely in Kickstarter... Sorry!!

Also ruleset is official 5.1th edition, as per the Kickstarter page.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2019-09-27 at 02:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: D&d 5e-ish RPG: Solasta

I just finished playing the Demo.

I am convinced. I mean, there's a lot of playtesting and camera control bug to resolve. But.. the entire thing feels genuine and a great adaptation of DnD. Combat feels strong, probably with mechanical transparency the level of Baldur's Gate.

The only thing that I find annoying is that there's no way for me to check what are the abilities gained by the subclasses of the PCs, and what's the fighting style picked by the Fighter. I suspect it's Protector since I give disadvantage against enemies striking my allies, but I would have liked to confirm that initially.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Definitely looking forward to this game. So far it is looking like the best interpretation of D&D rules in a video game since Temple of Elemental Evil.

The conversation system looks interesting and I like how it will use your character creation choices (backrounds, personality and skills) to determine your responses for each character. It will be interesting to see how this works out since they have said it will be fully voice acted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I mean, there's a lot of playtesting and camera control bug to resolve.
    Did you have options for different camera controls? The demo when first released had a very restricted camera and many people complained. They added a beta version demo that added 3 camera modes. I don't know if they moved that version to the main demo. The first time I played the demo I missed 2 chests with magic items due to the restricted camera.

Things I know:
    Level cap 10.
    Currently no Multi-classing planned. One of the Devs really dislikes it.
    There will be feats but they will be Solasta specific feats since the only feat in the SRD is Brawler.
    Current classes are Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue and Wizard. More Classes may be unlocked as stretch goals. (Paladin was unlocked)
    Each class will have 3 archetypes. One archetype will be the SRD archetype the other two are Solasta specific.
    Paladin archetypes are Oath of Devotion, Oath of the Motherland and Oath of Tirmar.
    The demo cleric has Battle domain which has quite a bit of blasting spells. The SRD archetype would be Life domain.
    The demo fighter has some type of Mountaineer archetype. The SRD archetype would be Champion.

4. - Top - End - #4

There's options for more camera movements? Hot damn I missed that.

I also would have liked for the game to show how I can change the preset equipment setup. I found a +1 shield for the warrior and was annoyed that whenever I clicked on one of his preset option it reverted to his starting shield.

I suppose I'd also like more transparency regarding why someone has advantage or disadvantage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Played the demo, looks pretty good. Glad they went with turn based with a grid, it works pretty well. The UI looks pretty slick in general as well.

Only problem I can foresee is if they go forth with the vertical dungeons thing too much, since the camera angles seem a little bit wonky for that sort of thing.

The "pick a character to talk" thing looks pretty good as well, but if I extrapolate a bit from the demo, I don't expect the general writing/plot to be at the Bioware/Obsidian level. Still, the mechanics look like it can carry it forward.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting with the whole vertical camera movement (4D).
    Fun playing of 5E, made me want to play a game, so good advertising.

How do you disable traps?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Interesting with the whole vertical camera movement (4D).
    Fun playing of 5E, made me want to play a game, so good advertising.

How do you disable traps?
    I moved carefully, and when they were highlighted I just clicked on it with my rogue

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

First I hear about this game, but it definitely looks interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The 3-dimension thing looks especially interesting. I hope it will be present in combat, too (maybe we will get a game with actual flying enemies).

But I'm also a simple man: it's an RPG, I will play it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looking at the demonstration video, it looks like it has some promise. Probably wouldn't buy the game anytime soon since I play 5e in real life, though. I chuckled at the point where the rogue tries and fails to roll for deception, gets shut down by his intended target, and then the other party members needled him for it. That's very much in the vein of what happens at my table whenever social skills are used.