New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Damage Vulnerability and Staggering

In leaving so few of its' monsters with damage vulnerabilities, 5E misses a lot of chances to let players feel prepared or ingenious for finding a way to exploit that damage type. It's easy to understand why, too - doubling your damage is the sort of thing that can prevent monsters from showing off their cool tricks, and thus deny the DM fun.
    This is my alternative to damage doubling.

When a creature takes damage of a type it is vulnerable to, it is staggered. If that creature was concentrating (as on a spell), it staggers before it makes its' save to maintain concentration.

Staggering
    When a creature staggers, its' speed is halved, and it has disadvantage on its' next attack roll or saving throw. This condition automatically ends after 1 round.

Commentary much appreciated.
    Last edited by Lord Von Becker; 2019-10-02 at 02:11 PM.
    This is a compendium of my uploaded D&D homebrew.
    This is my homepage and general recs list.
    This is something I consider holy scripture, and I recommend you read it - it'd improve your life.

My avatar (a sheriff tomelock lady) has been provided by the patient Linkele. Many thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Damage Vulnerability and Staggering

I like it. I'm stealing this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely approve of damage vulnerabilities triggering effects instead of just dealing extra damage. I think this is good for a generic effect but would personally like to see some monsters with personalized effects (similar to how radiant damage disables vampire regeneration, but more proactive).
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Maybe Ghouls or Wights are Turned by taking Radiant or even Fire damage. Maybe Gnolls will bite at themselves after taking Poison damage, as a reference to mange.
    Last edited by cajbaj; 2019-09-28 at 07:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Thank you both, I got the idea from Megaman Zero. (Lots of good material in that series.)

You have a point about the custom effects, and I'm happy to hear more ideas - I'm not familiar with too many monsters, but I'm planning to steal the "undead who take radiant damage have to save against turning" mechanic for my current campaign.

Is the Stagger effect clear enough, by the way? In particular, I'm hoping the "only one Disadvantage per proc" limit is obvious.
    Last edited by Lord Von Becker; 2019-09-28 at 08:59 PM.
    This is something I consider holy scripture, and I recommend you read it - it'd improve your life.

My avatar (a sheriff tomelock lady) has been provided by the patient Linkele. Many thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's clear that the disadvantage only applies once, but I'd specify that it only lasts for 1 round.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

*Coughs in SMT*

Granted, in Shin Megami Tensei, exploiting elemental vulnerabilities gives you extra turns, so this is probably more balanced.

I think Staggered should break concentration, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Good point, if you damage someone concentrating on something the save that they have disadvantage on is the Concentration save. On one hand it's kind of a lot to break concentration AND half speed AND give disadvantage, all as an actionless rider effect with no saving throw. But on the other hand, making Stagger disadvantage only apply to non-Concentration saves is clunky.

It's very strong but breaking concentration is probably the simplest way to do it.

9. - Top - End - #9

Nah, the point of being good at Concentration is that you can theoretically keep it while blind and on fire. I do like the idea that the rider applies before the concentration save, though - and I now wish I'd remembered my planned save-and-skill rework where proficiency gives advantage, in time to put it in the opening post, because I'm not sure editing it in now would be a great idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

This looks like more of an alternative than a replacement. I don't see any reason why we can't have both. Heck, a monster could have both.

11. - Top - End - #11

That'd make the monster go down real quickly when you use it, and I think that sort of plot is generally better handled by giving the thing a lot of resistances. But yes, in principle, we could.