New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What's A Murderhobo?

Personally I always thought of murderhobo as what happens if you seriously consider the in-world-view of a character who is being run by a player who only considers the mechanics of the game. They never do anything with their free time, they just wait until the next event. They are orphans with no attachments because that is quick to describe. The buy from the equipment list instead of a store.

They may handle quests effectively, but that isn't socially adjusted by any means.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    'half-derro Barbarian/Paladin' as a backstory
    If the player had an idea what percentage of human, dwarf, and whatever else they were as a 'half-derro' that would be entirely enough backstory already.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    If the player had an idea what percentage of human, dwarf, and whatever else they were as a 'half-derro' that would be entirely enough backstory already.
    I wonder if there's ever been a setting where at least one location where all the interfertile "races" have been living together there for so long that almost everyone has very blended ancestry.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I wonder if there's ever been a setting where at least one location where all the interfertile "races" have been living together there for so long that almost everyone has very blended ancestry.
    Mongrelmen?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Mongrelmen?
    Maybe the Races of Destiny version?

I really wasn't conceptualizing the idea as people with crab claws and randomly sized eyes and such.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-10-06 at 07:12 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

The Edge Chronicles called anyone who couldn't explain their ancestry simply as a Fourthling. Your blood comes from all four corners of the map.

Its a really weird setting for that term to come from because the setting is obviously triangular.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

The overwhelming majority of inter-fertile 'races' in D&D are human variants of some kind. Additionally, in pretty much all D&D settings humans massively outnumber all the other 'races' and breed considerably faster than most of them; the big exception is the 'goblinoids.' Our real world understanding of hybridization in cases like this suggests that, over enough time, the numerically dominant and faster breeding species will simply hybridize the other species into extinction with the result of a modest increase in genetic variance of its own.

So what you'd probably get is a human group and a goblin group that both incorporated some non-traditional features. For instance, these new humans would probably have potentially longer lifespans, a possibility of pointed ears, the potential for unusual shades of hair like green and blue, and so forth. The goblin group would express considerable variance in size, skin tone, and probably dental structure. All the other 'races' would disappear unless they were able to sustain reproductively isolated populations somewhere.

Of course, in general, most of the D&D races have natural reproductive isolation in that standards of attractiveness differ massively across 'racial' boundaries and keep the amount of mating between the groups quite low (there are cases of inter-racial attraction, but they tend to be asymmetrical in frequency, ie. humans find elves far more attractive than elves generally find humans).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    The Edge Chronicles called anyone who couldn't explain their ancestry simply as a Fourthling. Your blood comes from all four corners of the map.

Its a really weird setting for that term to come from because the setting is obviously triangular.
    Gives a whole new meaning to Triangulating.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    Gives a whole new meaning to Triangulating.
    Or the "Three Body Problem". ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I have heard the term murderhobo million times and I have no idea what it is? Does it have anything to do by murdering a hobo or bums or something? Somebody, please tell me, the suspense is killing me?
    Murderhobo is a derogatory nickname for the profession which most D&D characters practice, referring to their tendency to solve problems via violence as a first resort and their itinerant nature wandering between towns leaving a trail of carnage behind them, killing people and taking their stuff.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I have heard the term murderhobo million times and I have no idea what it is? Does it have anything to do by murdering a hobo or bums or something? Somebody, please tell me, the suspense is killing me?
    An itinerant work-for-hire day laborer who is often (but not always) paid by the wealthy elite of cities, towns and castles to invade rural people's homes, to murder the occupants and steal the recently deceased's possessions.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-10-07 at 03:36 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The overwhelming majority of inter-fertile 'races' in D&D are human variants of some kind. Additionally, in pretty much all D&D settings humans massively outnumber all the other 'races' and breed considerably faster than most of them; the big exception is the 'goblinoids.' Our real world understanding of hybridization in cases like this suggests that, over enough time, the numerically dominant and faster breeding species will simply hybridize the other species into extinction with the result of a modest increase in genetic variance of its own.

So what you'd probably get is a human group and a goblin group that both incorporated some non-traditional features. For instance, these new humans would probably have potentially longer lifespans, a possibility of pointed ears, the potential for unusual shades of hair like green and blue, and so forth. The goblin group would express considerable variance in size, skin tone, and probably dental structure. All the other 'races' would disappear unless they were able to sustain reproductively isolated populations somewhere.

Of course, in general, most of the D&D races have natural reproductive isolation in that standards of attractiveness differ massively across 'racial' boundaries and keep the amount of mating between the groups quite low (there are cases of inter-racial attraction, but they tend to be asymmetrical in frequency, ie. humans find elves far more attractive than elves generally find humans).
    Given which "races" can interbreed in many fantasy (or even "science" fiction) settings, there's probably a bit of "fantasy genetics" going on anyway, so while you're right, I think we could leave room for other outcomes in a game setting.

Does this need its own thread at this point?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Harry Potter and the Natural D20 did a great job of this, I think. The main character is an optimizer/murder hobo who sees a vision of his future where he succeeds at his goal of climbing the level ladder, but then has nothing to do so he brands every object in the multiverse with his name. Power for its own sake is a trap.

I tend to play muderhobos, being a bit of an edgelord and enjoying accumulating power. I had a Rogue who used all of his wealth on magic items and a menagerie of poisonous monsters that he could collect weapon poisons from, he was paranoid to the edge of insanity. Fun to play but would be terrible to live as.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Traditionally a hobo is a migratory worker. Today it gets blended in with homeless and vagrant. The word has a lower-class connotation associated with it.

During the great depression hobo's would travel the US by hopping train freight cars. These were overwhelmingly jobless men looking for work.

PC's are usually migratory workers. However PC's usually eventually have considerable treasures. PC's tend to be highly skilled. Slaying monsters is not seasonally picking apples.

It is a tongue-in-cheek reference to how PC's wander around taking random jobs, and kill things.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-10-15 at 08:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Murderhobo I thought was an Exalted playstyle.
    Players spent all their bacground dots on charms, willpower and a 5 dot artifact.
    The thing they didn't buy? Any dots in resources what so ever.