The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown IC

Kuzit strokes her chin. "He died under suspicious circumstances... I wouldn't be surprised if someone stole any notebook he had on him. Who found the body? And of course, I'm here as long as I'm needed. I'd never turn on the professor."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tobias's eyebrows raise at the mention of the money--a hundred platinum coins apiece was nothing to sneeze at--but he'd have stayed even if no payment had been offered at all. "At the very least, we can investigate what the professor was looking into when he died. And make sure any superstitious folk don't take unkindly to the kerfuffle earlier today. But I agree... it sounds like Lorrimor though there was a reason to be concerned. Reason enough to bring all of us back here." He smiles at Kendra. "Regardless, we'll stick around and see what we can do. Better safe than sorry, after all."
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"I am not so greatly gifted with words in paper, but words spoken, yes," Kara says. "I may be able to, ah, ask around and see what people have to say?"
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

He did keep a journal, in fact. I have no idea where it could be, but it must be somewhere in this house. He never brought it in the field with him.

Wait a second-I know where it is! He rarely read in his room, and only read the books he kept in his trunk. He would always put the journal in his room when he was done with it, so it would be in his trunk!

Spoiler: Assuming you get and open the trunk
    Show
    The trunk is an ornate, antique wooden one, with the symbol for Lepidstadt University engraved in gold leaf on the top. When you open it, you smell a musty smell. Inside, there are several books. One of them is leather-bound with no title and has etched on the front READ ME NOW. The next has an ornate cover with a clasp shaped like a golden eye, with a small piece of paper sticking out of it, reading to Embreth Daramid. The other two books are similar to each other. They each are leather-bound, have titles in languages that none of you understand, and have notes saying to the University.
    Spoiler: Inside the READ ME NOW book
    Show
    The book seems old, and tattered. When you open it, you realize why-it's the professor's 12 year old journal. Flipping through the pages, you notice that several of the entries have been circled in red ink.

I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Kara's expression darkens as she hears the contents of the journal. "The Whispering Way, oh, this is not good," she says once the circled entries have been read. "They are necromancers, an old cabal, very old. The Whispering Tyrant, if you're familiar, was one of their number, which I think speaks volumes about how much of a threat they pose to the world. I studied them for a time, but they are so secretive, it is not easy to say much about their abilities. Their intentions, though, are clear, and dire. If they have an interest in Harrowstone, there is no doubt, we must investigate it."

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maronne

The halfling nods. "And judging from the professor's notes, there's no time to lose. I don't like this talk of the whole town being at risk." She downs the last of her glass and stands up to take a look at the other two books. "Hrm... Well, at any rate, I agree with everyone. We should investigate this, and quickly. That, and I'd really like to see those symbols the professor mentions. We should probably go prepared, though. I mean, he talks of ghosts..."

She looks at Kendra. "And you should probably make sure you're safe yourself. What happened to your father... well, it sounds very convenient for these cultists. Who knows what else they have planned."

"Huh... These books are interesting." Maronne picks up the book containing Lorrimor's translation and annotation and leafs through it for a few pages.
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-10-04 at 05:02 PM.
    Characters in play:

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tobias's expression darkens as Kara mentions the necromancer organization. "If the professor was investigating a group like that, it does seem likely that his death was more than an accident... and that Kendra--and we--are probably in danger. We should definitely investigate further--though if Professor Lorrimor was chased off at first, we certainly shouldn't charge in blindly. Sounds like the temple of Pharasma might be a good place to start--see what the professor learned there."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna
    Hit Ponts: 14 of 14 l Conditions: None.

Luna pondered all the information, much of which was beyond his total comprehension, he cleared his throat, speaking up. "Perhaps we should journey to the village proper, did the Professor have any confidantes? Anyone whom he had, perhaps, confided in as he investigated these Whispering Way cultists?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

In fact, he had lunch with a scholar named Adivion Addrisant every few days up until three weeks ago. The man was called away on important business, but he promised to return by about... one week from now. He actually lives in Caliphas, but he comes to visit here often. He and my father are rivals, but friends, and they enjoy debating each other. He always struck me as a little creepy, though.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna

Luna's brain was slower than most, plodding, but it was thorough, and it usually got to where it needed to be. This was evident as he referenced a conversation that had occured minutes before, "Wait!", he thumped his fist on a sturdy desk, causing wine glasses to jump, "If this Whispering Way threatens the town, and neither the Councilman's Spokesperson, Mitra, nor it's Magistrate Shandra, were present, then perhaps they are in danger, or had been threatened? They were not called away because of Gib's and his henchmen's attack, or they would have been at the bone yard."

He stroked his beard as he continued the line of thought, "When hunting a ravagin band of wolves, oft times you cannot go blindly to the den, for the pack is still out ranging, and you will lose livestock, or lives. I feel this may be the same with the Way, if we go straight to this Harrowstone, we risk losing the town to the Way who are not there. I agree with Master Tobias, some of us should start with the Mother of Souls and her Pharasmin Priests, while the rest should check on the Councilmen, to ensure that they have not been cornered by the Way, themselves."

OOC: I know splitting the party is usually a bad idea, however, I feel for the investigative portion it is important to break up the scenes so two or three principals aren't the only one asking questions, or interacting with the situation, while two sit in the background. Obviously when in danger mode, or exploration mode, we stay together, but for this I feel like it is best to give us some diversity and lead to quicker research and investiation.

Open to other thoughts and opinions thought.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maronne

"Sounds like we have a plan. We should be able to cover quite a bit of ground if we split up the tasks before us."

OOC: I like the above suggestion. Keeping everyone busy is a good way to keep everyone entertained and to keep everyone posting. Also, sorry for the short post. Posting from my phone.
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-10-06 at 04:10 PM.
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"We have a starting place, then," Kara says, nodding along. "I will go to check with the Pharasmins. I see no sense in waiting - I cannot stress too much the urgency of this task. The Whispering Way, they are a group of great danger, they must not be permitted to do as they want." She stands, grabs her bags, and if no one stops her, she goes straight to the Pharasmin temple.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maronne

The halfling gets up. "I'll go with you, miss. I'll be of more use there than with the council."
    Characters in play:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna

Luna lifted the sleeve of his scaled armor jerkin, revealing an arm corded in muscle, and the spiraling arms of a woad blue tattoo, the symbol of Pharasma, the Lady of Graves. "After the death of my father, my mother, and my brother, I had reason to become well acquainted with the Lady of Graves, I would be glad to speak with the Church on Lorrimor's behalf."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Those of you going to the temple of Pharsma (which is everyone at this point):

As you approach the temple, a large stained-glass mosaic catches your eye. It depicts a man looking up at a giant Pharsma. The building itself is mostly made of obsidian, but is covered in gold leaf, depicting several symbols of Pharsma. A woman with a shaved head and acolyte's robes stands next to a set of wooden double doors with her eyes closed. When you near her, she opens her eyes. Oh, uh, hello! Are you here to worship?

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna

Luna bowed his shaggy head in respect, "Greetings Reverend Mother," he looked up, "we would light a candle in honor of the good Professor's memory, so as to guide his to the Lady's waiting arms. And so too, we would speak with you in regards to his findings." He paused, for he knew that the information the scholars had found within the Lorrimor's journals would be damaging, and, in fact, hamper their ability to investigate it, "But before we seek your guidance in such matters, I must ask that anything of which we speak is to be kept by you, and the Lady alone."

OOC: Luna is asking the Priestess to swear an oath, called, The Lady Shall Keep It, to bear a secret to the grave, telling no one, swearing that only Pharasma shall hear it in person, and only once the oath-maker has died, or that she will claim the oath-maker early should he break his promise of secrecy.

17. - Top - End - #77

The blue kobold looks to Tobias, a bit concerned. "I guess that leaves us to talk to the council? Or should we just all travel together?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tobias shrugs. "Seems like as good a starting place as any. No need for all of us to show up at the temple door, the more ground we cover the better. Kendra, if you would like to come with us you're welcome to come. If you would rather stay, I understand."

"I'd say let's start looking for the two councilmembers who did attend the funeral--Gahren and Vashien, was it? Seems easier to speak with them instead of asking the others point-blank why they weren't there."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh, I would help if I could, but I don't have the time right now. I may be able to help on other days, perhaps, but my research is reaching a crucial point. If you need any guidance or research done, I might be able to help.

Temple of Pharasma
    Oh, um, I can definitely get the candle lighting arranged, but we, um, don't really make our records public. They're only really available to locals or, um, friends of the town.

OOC: Please make a diplomacy check.
    Councilpeople
    OOC: Who are you visiting first?

Whomever you choose, please make a diplomacy check to gather information.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

20. - Top - End - #80

"Well, Vashian is still busy with the Sheriff, I think... so Gharen first? Where might we find him, Miss Kendra?" Kuzit gestures to Aktathk, who leaves the now-empty box of snacks to perch once more on her shoulder.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy- (1d20+6)[25]
    Last edited by Syless; 2019-10-07 at 07:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Er, I don't actually know where Gharen lives. People don't usually pay him visits at his house, but I'm sure someone will know where he lives.

You ask around town, and although Tobias' dour appearance and being a Kobold certainly don't help, you're able to find out where he lives, a small cottage next to the town square. At your approach, he opens the door.

Hi! You can have the next - oh, you're not Pevrin. Who are ya and whatdaya want?
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-10-07 at 08:22 PM.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna

Luna nodded, he understood, he had lived his whole life an outsider. "Let us light the candles first mother," he paused, only because he had spoken of them earlier in the evening, "and can we light three more, for my mother, my father, and my older brother." Another pause, a thick swallow, "They were taken when I was but young, they are with the Lady of Mysteries now, but we, those left behind, still mourn their loss, yea?"

As they crossed the chapel to light the candles, he turned looking to the older woman, "And tell me Mother, how would one who wishes to be a friend to the town, prove he is a friend to the town?"

OOC: I'm going to roll a Diplomacy to assist someone ELSE who has a better than -2 Diplo actually convince her we're friends of the town. Please do NOT make the 7 Charisma Barbarian the group Face! LOL!Rolling Diplomacy, -2, (1d20-2)[14]. Cross your fingers folks!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

"We would not ask but for dire need," Kara assures the woman. "The professor was researching something very delicate, and important. Something related to battling the undead."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling diplomacy: (1d20+10)[18]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, the majority of the town would have to trust you, or you would, um, have to have lived here for at least two years. We can't really, um, believe you just coming in here and saying so. Although, you, um, do seem like such nice people... She sets out four candles as she pauses. No. I'm sorry, but Father Grimburrow would be furious, and it would look bad for the church overall.

She holds her holy symbol, and as one, the candles ignite. She then kneels, gesturing that you do the same. Intoning several words in Varisian over and over again, she then says May the Lady of Graves grant these souls rest.

She rises. Is there anything else you would like me to do for you?

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Kara glances at the others and then says, "That is all for me, I think."]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Augustin Mikhail Luna

Luna, after intoning the prayers for the departed, stood and walked with the older Pharasmite to the door of the chapel. He nodded towards Kara, "As my companion states, Master Lorrimor suspected a growing evil had nested somewhere in the vicinity of this town, and that it's corruption was tainting both Ravengro and it's people. Is there any way that we," a sweep of his arms included himself and his companions, "can aid you and Reverend Father Grimbarrow at this time?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh, uh, no, I don't think so. Unless you want to do chores, but myself and the, uh, other acolytes can do that.

But a word of advice: If you seek to gain the trust of the town, you, uh, need to be a part of the town. I recommend you go out and help others in the town, if that's what you want.

Although...it is getting late. Maybe do that, uh, tomorrow.

As you exit the temple, the dusky grey afternoon slowly transitions into evening. Suddenly, the sky is filled with pinks, purples, and oranges. It's one of the most beautiful sunsets you've ever seen.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maronne

Before they make their way out, Maronne also says a quick prayer for the departed.

Once outside, she pauses for a moment. "Well, that wasn't really helpful. Now what?" The halfling looks up, pondering. "Wow. That is a beautiful sunset. I wonder if that's normal over here, we don't often get them like that in Andoran."
    Characters in play:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Kara looks at the sunset, her expression a little wistful. "It's not the same as back home," she says, then shakes her head. "But this is not a time to be sick for home, yes? I think we need to find a place to sleep. I know it is an imposition, but it may be best to stay with honored Kendra if she has room, or even sleep on the floor. Necromancers and their ilk, they like the night, no? Best not to assume it will pass in peace."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maronne

Maronne nods. "Good point. Let's get back to lady Kendra. Hopefully the others have come up with more information."
    Characters in play: