The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Carrion Crown OOC

Use this thread to get to know each other and myself, as well as tell me (or others, but mostly me) when we're screwing up .
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown OOC

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    The Luna family lived in the Shudderwoods, across the Mountray River, to the north and west of Schloss Caromarc of Vieland. A family of woodsmen, by trade, who would cut and haul timber to the river, to float it to Vieland for sale. For a number of years the family eked out a living in the rugged, often dangerous woods, however under the protection of Josef Luna and his wife, Yasmina, the family survived the perils, and profitted in their seclusion.

Josef taught his sons, Gavan and Augustin, the secrets of the woods, how to find one's way along it's paths, by the flow of it's streams, the growth of it's trees, and the stars in the sky. He taught them how to hunt, to provide food for their family, and how to skin and clean their kill, so as to respect it's sacrifice for their continued survival. Oft times the Vielander's would contract Josef and his fellow foresters, to protect their homesteads from the ravages of the wolf packs which would decend the mountains after particularly harsh winters, starving, and driven to hunting livestock and threatening the family's cowering by their hearths. So it was when Augustin observed, at 13 years of age, such a pack descended upon the Luna's homestead and warned his father of the packs encroachment upon their stand of trees. Josef took axe and torch and gathered local woodsmen to drive the starving wolves away.

That night however, Josef stumbled back to the house, his right arm a ragged stump, bone and sinew visible through the shreds of flesh and skin, burst through the homesteads door, calling for his wife and children. Urging them to flee down the Mountray towards Vieland, for a great evil had descended from the mountains with the wolves that year, and it would soon be upon them. Josef dropped the shattered haft of his axe and rekindled the brand in his left hand by plunging it into the Luna's hearth, while Yasmina herded the boys through the common room, rapidly preparing them for their flight through the darkened woods. A howl echoed through the night air, one so wicked and foul that, to this day, if Augstin recalls it, he shudders.

A form, monstrously large, it stood on crooked legs, arms thick with unnaturally corded muscles, and hands ending in claws the length of a pitchfork stepped through the brush, a pack of thin, starving, snarling wolves emerging from the wooded shadows behind it. His mother screamed at him, pulling his arm so fiercely it tugged him from his feet, she yelled at her sons to run, even as their father roared at the abomination. Augustin fled with his brother and mother, even as he heard the wet, gurgling screams of his father as the fanged monstrosity savaged the man who had raised the young boy from a child.

They followed the river, for minutes that seemed to stretch into hours, roots reaching up from damp earth to tangle their clothes, trip them, unbalance them, all the while the baying of the slavering jaws that pursued them. The aberration's pack had found them, and were leading their monstrous master to the only surviving members of that once tranquil homestead. Yasmina was taken down first, two gaunt, starving wolves lunging at her skirts, pulling her to the ground, feasting on her flesh, the ripping, the tearing, and his mother's screams haunted Augustin for years. Gavan pushed his brother into the bole of a great willow tree, and turned to fight the encroaching pack. However, the pack began to slink away as the behemoth, almost humanoid wolf stepped into the clearing, it's muzzle dark red with their father's blood. It lunged, and Gavan swung a small log ineffectually, the force of it's impact threw the elder brother into the bole as well, and there it proceeded to disembowel him, Augustin, pushed deep into the recess of the tree watched on in horror.

He doesn't remember when the wolves left, or how he survived the night, he just remembers that he wandered the pathways of the forest, like a ghost, the horrors he had witnessed had drawn a pall over his thoughts, his heart, perhaps his soul. He was discovered by a neighboring forester, his back brutally torn by tooth and claw, his left shoulder savaged by some great beast, blood caked on his wounds, in his scalp, wandering, alone, in a daze. The good-natured woodsmen, Sergei, recognizing the boy as the youngest son of the Luna family took him to Lepidstadt, realizing that his wounds were well beyond his wife's, not insignificant, skills of healing. On their journey to Vieland's capital, Sergei was able to coax the young boy's story from him, though largely dismissed it's content as some sort of fever induced dream.

Professor Lorrimor encountered the odd duo on his way to the University of Lepidstadt, there to give a lecture. In the carriage beside him was his daughter, Kendra, herself only 11 years old, it was, perhaps the similar age of the young, greviously wounded, and obviously fevered young boy that drew both his attention and compassion. Lorrimor arranged for the woodsmen and his young charge to be led to the University's burgeoning Heal Arts department, in which he, personally tended Augustin's wounds, with the aid of his daughter. He induced the young man into a coma, activating a period of healing and recuperation, while he ministered to the young boy's wounds. During his coma, Augustin spoke, in fits of lucidity, of the horrors he had witnessed, and suddenly Lorrimor feared an affliction far worse than a malady of the mind, but an affliction of the soul, lycanthropy.

When the young boy woke, Lorrimor agreed to foster him during his time at the University, knowing he would be there for several months of lectures. During that time Augustin spoke often with Kiara, the young girl, tutored by her illustrious father, skilled in aritmetic, and literacy, taught the uneducated man both to read, and write. She taught him to identify the herbs that would be required for him to know, as her father had instructed the wounded young man to apply his own poultices, and brew his own tea, one made from distilled Wolves Bane, to keep the lycanthropy at bay. His time with Lorrimor and his daughter was cut short, when the Professor was recalled to his home. However, he had been equipped by the two, with the knowledge required to keep his affliction at bay.

He returned to the homestead of Segei, and worked with the woodsmen's family for a time, however, after an intense confrontation with their own son, they asked the young man to leave, concerned that he was, in fact, cursed. And so at 13 years old began a life of solitude, he returned to his family's own homestead, recovered and returned their mortal remains, and buried his father, mother, and brother in the garden outside the homestead's shattered, bloodied door. Unable to remain there due to the nightmares that afflicted him, both wile asleep and awake, he collected a memento of his youth, some tools that would be required to forage a living within the wood, and burnt the homestead to the ground, while whispering a silent prayer to Pharasma that their souls would be carried to salvation.

He eked out a living foraging, and trapping small animals, at first selling firewood to local woodsmen and trappers, who, out of respect for his father, supported the wild youth with a few coppers here and there. Eventually his body, hardened by the hard life of labor he had chosen for himself, began to fill out, and so, he enlisted with the Militia. Initially he prospered, stoic, self disciplined and controlled, however, it soon became apparent that there were troubling deep waters beneath the calm, quiet exterior. A series of conflict, both with his fellow soldiers, and eventually even officers spoke poorly of the young man, and so he was dismissed from the position. However, now broader, and more powerful than the young boy he had been on enlisting, he was able to market his services as a guide, and huntsman in the Shudderwoods.

Though feared by the superstitious woodsmen, they oft came to him should their homes, or labor camps suffer depridations of the roving wolf packs. In fact, one such pack had a carriage stuck in a rut, it's horses broke free, chased off by the slavening beasts. Only after Augustin had slain the alpha and his bitch, had the rest of the pack broken. When he opened the door, he saw the beautiful face of Kendra and her father, the good Professor. They spent a single night encamped by the carriage, Lorrimor inquiring as to his former patient's health, while Augustin himself admired the fine young woman that his benefactor's daughter had grown into. That morning he assisted the Lorrimor's in repairing their wagon, even going so far as to track down the frightened horses by light of day, and while they then went their seperate ways, he still remembers the Professor fondly.

That is why, upon receiving news of his death he was so stricken as to make the long trek to Ravengro.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Augustin is a man of extreme, and often conflicting values. Due to the horrors afflicted upon both himself, and his family, he has been shunned by his neighbours and peers, feared for the taint of lycanthropy that courses through his veins, his violent, often brutish impulses. He, himself, views those polite, urbane, civilized folks as soft, and weak, hiding from the wilds that surround them in walled cities, as if that could keep the barbarity of the wilds from their pathetic lives. Yet, at the same times he craves companionship, comraderie, and loyalty, and values those things above all else.

The only positive experience with civilized, educated people he has had was with the good Professor and his daughter, in fact, he still carries three books of Fae Tales for children given him by Kendra. He lost his family and seeks to find that same sense of self, of belonging with others, yet he has constantly been shunned or let down when he tried to open himself up to those relationships, so he has begun to keep people at arm's length waiting for the inevitable betrayal of his trust. He is a stoic, taciturn man, given to self reliance and a sense of confidence that comes with a life of solitude confined to the wilds where most would choose not to travel. His attitude changes notably when confronted by children, as they remind him of his own youth, and the playful, inquisitive nature of his own brother, Gavan.

Due to the horrific night he spent in the bole of the tree, his brother disemboweled and slain before his eyes, Agustin has a compulsion to remove the blood, gore and filth from his body at soonest convenience. He does not shy from battle for sight, or scent, of blood, he does however, take great care in ensuring that it does not linger on his person. This compulsion is to the extent that he has taken a coarse horse brush and scrubed his skin raw to remove the blood of his foes.

Spoiler: Motivation
    Show
    Augustin feels a bond of kinship with the woodsmen and foresters of the Shudderwoods, and despite the fact that they, in general, fear and shun him, he remembers the relationships that their families had with his own and seeks to honor those memories. In return they may often provide him food, water, or supplies, but are unlikely to invite him within their own homes for fear of inviting an evil across their threshold. These are rugged, hearty, folks, and while their actions may hurt him, he maintains a grudging respect for them, and their ability to survive within the confines of the wilds. If possible, he will visit the site of the Luna's Homestead annually, to pay his respects to the family that he lost those fifeteen years ago.

He has sworn to expunge the corruption that is lycanthropy from the woods the he calls home, and while he has not yet been able to track down the skin-shifter that slaughtered his family those many years ago, he has never stopped searching. Despite evidence to the contrary, he feels as though the beast is still alive, and will actively pursue leads that would indicate there is the activity of shifters in any area through which he was travelling. One would think that he would harbor a great fear of the slavering beast, and wolves in general, however, they instil in him a powerful hatred, a blind rage, and peculiar savagery within him. He takes great pride in the wolf cloak he wears, not because it is fine, or well made, but because it contains the skins of every wolf he has slain, and he hopes it continues to grow until it drapes out behind him on the ground.

He is enamored of Kendra Lorrimor, and thinks on her fondly, and with great affection. However, he has convinced himself that she, while kind to him due to their shared history, would not be able to feel an affection for so savage a man as he. While he thinks on her everytime he reads the books of Fae Tales she gifted him as a child, he does not dare hope that his life could become entwined with her own, for her station, her world, is so far above his own.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-09-28 at 05:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Here is Kara, who will be speaking in red if we're using speech colors, naturally.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reposting Kuzit Anav and her drake companion, Aktathk. Kuzit will speak in blue and Aktathk will speak in bold blue.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Alrighty. Hey everyone! I'll just include the whole background of my character that I posted at some point, including a link to the sheet. Maronne will be speaking in saddle brown because that feels appropriate for some reason.
    Also, a few quick things: my posting times may seem a bit off to some of you, but that's because I'm in europe so very different timezones here. Also, english is not my first language and while I'm relatively proficient in it I sometimes may type things that'll seem weird. And finally, I'll do my best to stick to the posting schedule, but I may not always be able to as life is pretty busy at the moment. Getting a bit better every day, though.

Spoiler: Maronne Greenleaf
    Show
    Spoiler: Image & Link
    Show

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Maronne is a cheerful looking halfling with an inquisitive glint in her grey-blue eyes. Her shoulder-length straw-blond hair is usually hanging loose; she'll only tie it into a crude tail when engaged in very physical activity, or when reading old, musty tomes. It'd just get in the way then. She's armed with sword and bow and armored with a studded leather armor and buckler, but she doesn't seem very comfortable with these items. She's far more at ease when unarmed and unarmored.

She appears to be a cheerful, open person, often with a friendly smile on her face. Aside from weapons and armor she carries around quite a hefty backpack for someone her size. It contains all her precious writing supplies as well as her prized journal with many of the notes taken in the field. There is never a time to not study the local fauna. Also, she speaks a surprising amount of languages.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Maronne is a gentle soul with a curious bend. She'll pitch in wherever she can, helping out people with all sorts of activities. That is, when she's not absorbed in a particularly interesting tome. Her favourite field of study is strange beings, be they undead, unnatural or completely alien. She specializes in oozes, though, having written two serious treatises on them.

When there's no studying to be done, she can probably be found in a nearby tavern having a drink with friends. And she'll try to keep up with everyone, even if it's clear she has totally no business doing so.

Spoiler: Character traits and flaws
    Show
    Traits:
    Helpful
    Inquisitive
    Perceptive

Flaws:
    Likes drinking; perhaps a little too much
    Too helpful for her own good sometimes. Why else would you travel through very dangerous terrain all the way from Andoran to Ustalav?

Spoiler: Contacts
    Show
    Dala Dog-Face - Childhood friend. A far more adventurous type who accompanied Maronne on her only real field study near Riverford. Also accompanied Maronne on the first leg of her journey from Highhelm to Kerse.

Senefer Nisha - Trader on the caravan that took Maronne from Kerse to Vigil.

Wynna - Songstress who often frequented the family inn in Augustana. Her stories set Maronne on the path to becoming an academic.

Petros Lorrimor - Her professor sometime in the past. Deceased.

Spoiler: Story
    Show
    You want to know about me? Alright. Order two ales and we can sit and talk. You'd best order something for yourself too. Haha.

Seriously though. I'm Maronne Greenleaf, certified Oozologist. I'm the daughter of Waldo and Myrtle, and the sister of Gryffen and Ywain. That's not really the interesting part. I grew up in Augustana, spending a lot of time with my brothers on the streets while my parents worked odd jobs to save up the funds to start an inn. They eventually managed to do so, which meant less time on the streets and more working in the inn. It's there that I met Wynna. She was a songstress with a huge collection of songs and stories about all kinds of strange monsters, which eventually inspired me to read and learn about them. I guess that's what set me on the path to becoming who I am now.

I eventually went to live in Almas for a few years to study. It's there that I got to know professor Lorrimor after one of his lectures. It was a most interesting lecture on use of undead troops in various historical battles. We got to talking after his lecture and we spoke at length about the nature of the undead, as well as my then-favorite subject: the reproductive cycle of whip jelly, specifically a sub-species that only appears in Andoran. He even helped me with a small revision on my paper on that very subject. Oh, and he told me to go out into the field to study them. That was quite the adventure me and my friend Dala had there. I'll not bore you with the details though.

I was sad to hear about the Professor's death, and I really couldn't say no to a private invitation. I was sort of in the middle of extensive research into various types of hauntings when I got the invitation. Which was fortunate, because I was in Highhelm at the time to study some ancient tome there. Together with my friend Dala I travelled along the river all the way from Highhelm to Kerse. From there, I booked passage with a caravan bound for Vigil. First with a boat across lake Encarthan, then further along the road from Vellumis to Vigil. With a few adventurers I then crossed the border into Ustalav and travelled all the way here. The last leg of the journey was terrifying but ultimately uneventful. Fortunately. These parts are dangerous, or so I heard.
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-09-28 at 04:34 PM.
    Characters in play:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

For colors, I'll be choosing whatever I think feels right for a character. For example, Kendra will be speaking in purple.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sheet for Tobias Finch is here. For color, I'll speak in bold indigo, I think.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Question, since we apparently aren't in a graveyard, can we retcon me setting my pack down, I didn't know we were walking more than 50' to a pre-dug hole?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Question, since we apparently aren't in a graveyard, can we retcon me setting my pack down, I didn't know we were walking more than 50' to a pre-dug hole?
    Yes, you are in a graveyard, it's just a very large one (It's about a square mile). We can retcon that, though.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh! I thought we left down a road and over hills, in that case I'll leave it. It'd be disrespectful. Besides, I can hit a d4+7 with my knife if I need to.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quick question: can I still do an intimidate check to give an aid another bonus to Kara's check?
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I've rolled a 2 & a 4 on a d20 so far BramsesII, throw me the assist! >.>

Have I mentioned I hate d20's? lol

13. - Top - End - #13

Just to be clear, should we be rolling initiative here first?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

It looks like different people want to handle combat differently. To clarify, can everyone post how they want to handle turn order and such? I don't really know how we should do this, honestly.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

15. - Top - End - #15

There's two main options, as I see it:

1) Block initative- we all go in whatever order (based on posting time) until either we've all gone or you feel you've waited long enough, then baddies go.

2) Standard initiative- We all roll and go based on that.

For speed I prefer block iniative, though standard lends itself to more strategy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Syless View Post
    1) Block initative- we all go in whatever order (based on posting time) until either we've all gone or you feel you've waited long enough, then baddies go.

2) Standard initiative- We all roll and go based on that.
    I prefer option 1. It's generally faster than rolling standard initiative. Also, to repeat my question, can I still offer Kara an aid another on that intimidate check?
    Characters in play:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In terms of PbP, I prefer block initiative. That way things don't get hung up waiting on one particular person to post.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BramsesII View Post
    I prefer option 1. It's generally faster than rolling standard initiative. Also, to repeat my question, can I still offer Kara an aid another on that intimidate check?
    Aid another only gives a +2 if it succeeds, right? I'm gonna say no based on the fact that it won't do anything. Also, looks like most people want to do block initiative, so let's do that.
    Last edited by PhyrexianShovel; 2019-09-29 at 09:51 AM.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Aid another only gives a +2 if it succeeds, right? I'm gonna say no based on the fact that it won't do anything. Also, looks like most people want to do block initiative, so let's do that.
    Actually, I have the helpful trait making it a +4. Otherwise I wouldn't really be asking.

Also, another question: The archivist'sversion of inspire courage specifies that you need to identify the creature before you can apply the bonus to your allies. I assume that goes for common humanoids like humans as well? And in that case, what's the DC for humans?
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-09-29 at 10:31 AM.
    Characters in play:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Actually, I have the helpful trait making it a +4. Otherwise I wouldn't really be asking.

Also, another question: The archivist'sversion of inspire courage specifies that you need to identify the creature before you can apply the bonus to your allies. I assume that goes for common humanoids like humans as well? And in that case, what's the DC for humans?
    It probably still wouldn't do anything, to be honest. I will keep that in mind for the future, though.

As for the other question, the DC is 0, but:
    Naturalist (Ex): An archivist who has identified a creature with a Knowledge check appropriate to its type can use performance to share strategies for defeating it with allies in combat. The archivist and any allies within 30 feet gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and saving throws against extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities used by creatures of that specific kind of monster (e.g., frost giants, not all giants or all humanoids). This bonus increases by +1 at 5th level and every six levels thereafter. This language-dependent ability requires visual and audible components.
    (emphasis mine)
    Basically, the way I understand it, it wouldn't work against regular humanoids such as humans because they have no supernatural abilities.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    It probably still wouldn't do anything, to be honest. I will keep that in mind for the future, though.

As for the other question, the DC is 0, but:

(emphasis mine)
    Basically, the way I understand it, it wouldn't work against regular humanoids such as humans because they have no supernatural abilities.
    That's only for the saving throws, isn't it? AC and attack rolls against extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities doesn't really make much sense.
    Characters in play:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty sure the emphasized portion only applies to the saving throws portion of the text. Also, I prefer block initiative as well.

Also, can we stand on the tiles marked grave? Not sure whether they're open or what.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-09-29 at 10:47 AM.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

I wrote an original urban fantasy series. You can read it for free at http://emrysvaughn.com/

I'm currently writing an epic fantasy series, which you can read for free at http://www.brokenlandserial.com/

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

That's only for the saving throws, isn't it? AC and attack rolls against extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities doesn't really make much sense.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I just didn't read it that way, but that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ylvathrall View Post
    Pretty sure the emphasized portion only applies to the saving throws portion of the text. Also, I prefer block initiative as well.

Also, can we stand on the tiles marked grave? Not sure whether they're open or what.
    Yes, but they take 2 squares of movement. Also, if you duck behind them they provide cover.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Alright. I'll post ic in a few hours. Have to put the kids to bed first and such.
    Characters in play:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, barring anything else unexpected, I'm awarding you all 120 XP for that encounter (Yes, I know it got resolved quickly and some people didn't get to act, but it's really not supposed to be a big encounter)

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

As an FYI by sickening crunch I am referring to the sound of a breaking nose, not a snapping neck. Luna's angry, not homicidal.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

So...if no one wants to share a story about Lorrimor IC since it's already in your backstory, just let me know so we can keep moving.

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I was planning to post something tonight but if you want to keep the momentum feel free to move us along.
    Characters in play:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, I was just checking to make sure that people were interested in doing this part. As long as at least one person wants to, then that's great!

Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

None right now!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Apologies for the very short post. Things are a bit busy these last few days (and tomorrow too).
    Characters in play: