The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 133
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    The Bannor’s Pride, a big-bellied dromond flying the tri-colored flag of Glen Gildor, lumbered through long swells kicked up by the remnants of the past few days’ thunderstorms that had blown up from the southwest and the Vahari Delta. The town of Chologadi was slowly drawing near off the ship’s starboard, but Ignasio Aurelio De San Christobal Guanahato, from his spot along the rail of the top deck, stared at the dark jungle crouched all around as it slipped by. Ten thousand shades of green and brown and yellow crowded the edge of the sea except where a wooden palisade around the town held them back.

    As the ship eased alongside the rough but stout wooden docks, Ignasio saw a large crowd gathered awaiting its arrival with eager anticipation. Not at all surprising to the merchant’s scion, who fully expected an adoring crowd to greet his arrival. Only, why did so many have their belongings with them, in handcarts, wagons, or bundled in huge rucksacks? And small, sniveling children? And why had they brought their livestock? Ignasio was at ease with the adoration of the people, but oxen and goats??

    “Hold BACK!” a dock foreman bellowed at the crowd as it tried to surge towards the ship. “Ya can’t get on until the people get off! You want to leave Chologadi, ya need to hold BACK!”

    ~~~

    Even on his inbound trip aboard Bannor’s Pride, Guanahato had heard rumors about the black cloud creeping towards Chologadi, but Captain Oto claimed that the cloud was not dangerous unless one spent considerable time under it. Judging by the mass exodus from the trading town, few were interested in staying to test out the veracity of that particular rumor. [1] Likewise, anyone staying in the town long enough to find a pot to piss in was aware that the town Council was desperate to do anything possible to investigate the encroaching cloud and save the town (and their own positions, truth be told) if they could. It was even said that they had put together an expedition to journey to the presumed source of cloud, the ruined city-fortress of Madaro-Shanti, but were frantically searching for brave souls to lead the effort.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    [1] No matter whether you are a native of Chologadi, live in the surrounding jungles, or are just arriving, each of you have heard a rumor


    Spoiler: Rumors
    Show

    Spoiler: Jack Candle
    Show
    A ruined stone road leads to the ruins, but the jungles have grown past the place where the road begins. However, a well-paid guide can lead the adventurers to the place where the road starts.

    Spoiler: Ignasio
    Show
    The dark cloud is not dangerous as long as you don’t stay in it for several days

    Spoiler: Atrux
    Show
    It was only five years ago that the dark cloud cover over Madaro-Shanti was first observed, but there have always been rumors that the area is cursed. The dark clouds have been spreading slowly ever since.

    Spoiler: Janna
    Show
    The black cloud will cover the city by the time the moon is full once again, in less than 15 days

    Spoiler: Elias Strabo
    Show
    Beware of the monkeys in the ruins

    Spoiler: Aedon Gno
    Show
    The vegetation has all died in the ruins of the jungle city, and yet some appears to be alive in undeath
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-30 at 10:34 AM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Ignasio Aurelio De San Cristobal Guanahato stepped down from the Bannor's Pride into the dock looking around him with infinite curiosity and confidence.
    Surprisingly enough, the weather took after the young flamboyant man and following a few days of tropical thunderstorms the clouds gave way, at least partially, and the sun came out to personally greet the new arrival.
    He walked down the gangplank breathing in the smells and the sights and the commotion of the docks. The Southern Lands, at last!
    Ignoring the gathering crowd, he proceeded gingerly to the busy dock, carefully avoiding puddles of rain water, tar and vomit, heaps of rotten fish, streached hands of beggars and the storm of people pushing and shoving in the opposite direction, towards the ship he just left.
    He dismissed any rumors of this dark cloud as yet another exotic faraway land myth, besides, even Captain Oto said it was not that dangerous! and the man, a descendant of a seamen lineage from the Giant's reef Islands, seemed to be a decent fellow who knows his ways around these parts.
    Behind him walked three sailors of the good ship Bannor's Pride (who was this Bannor? He forgot to ask the captain) looking around them with apparent embarrassment and anxiously trying to avoid any familiar sailor's faces. Two of them were walking a step behind their young employer, and to the side of him, their hair neatly arranged in a ponytail and right hands resting on their cutlasses (for the lack of proper rapiers or other presentable weapon on board). He practically forced them to practice that on the ship deck, exposing them to the mocking laughter of their friends; they were, nevertheless, handsomely paid to act as his entourage and the promise of coin did much to compensate them for any upcoming embarrassment.
    The third walked behind them, looking even more puzzled than his friends, as his role was a mystery to him. He was ordered to carry a full set of horse-ware: A blanket (in colors matching Ignasio's clothes), a leather saddle of high quality, harness, reins and stirrups. These were heavy and bulky, and completely obscured his vision forcing him into the same obstacles the young master was so carefully avoiding.
    Ignasio reached a small square, or rather a widening of the street that allowed carts and carriages to load and unload merchandise,supplies and passengers for the docking ships. He looked around for a few minutes until satisfied and then stood straight and tall and produced a surprisingly long high-pitched, high volume ululating sound, raising both arms high up, fingers stretched forward.
    The sailor almost dropped his load, startled by the jump scare, his friends reached for their weapons looking for the imminent threat that never came, few people looked at the fancy dressed youngling acting like a drunken fool (in broad daylight) but somehow the whole thing went largely unnoticed and drowned in the total havoc of the dockside.
    After a few seconds which stretched for eternity Ignasio stopped, letting his hands down and looking around him, obviously very pleased with himself. A few minutes passed and nothing happened but then, to the astonishment of all, a small and well groomed pony stepped slowly, undisturbed and un-escorted into he yard, walked directly to Ignasio and stood obediently next to his new master. Ignasio nodded at the sailor, who immediately started fitting all the gear pieces to the mount, having finished, he received his payment and was dismissed, sending an evil grin to his friends who were still on duty, he will have a good drink tonight, and a good tale to tell at the Fishhead tavern.
    Ignasio observed the horse, refitting and adjusting the saddle for a while and then mounted, rather expertly, and started riding slowly to the main street. An endless smile on his face and the wind gently blowing the feather on his hat, his two puzzled and flea infected bodyguards walking behind him

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    The rest of the crew did not like Atrux. They feared him. A very logical and smart thing to do, thought the lizardman, towering more than six feet above the heads of even the biggest sailors. The crocodilian warrior could easily bite down on their heads and break their femur with a quick twist, then gut their innards like one would gut a fat turkey ready for cooking. Except cookery was nothing Atrux was very fond of, or even needed for his food.

    The crew as gracious enough to allow Atrux to sleep in the cargo hold. They quickly learned that he could not contain himself near moving 'prey', after loosing one or two goats. They admonished his behaviour, so with the few shore leaves they had, Atrux replaced the amount of meat he thought he owed with caught dogs, he even piled a drunk merchant on top.

    The shamans of his tribe had sent him to aid the people. He was not solely responsible but while the tribe moved to safer locations further and further away from the cursed place of origin of the clouds, they had to send someone to befriend the invaders in order to get the problem under control. They sent their strongest warrior, as a sign of intimidation at first, but Atrux' cold calculating demeanor was something refreshing the merchants and arcanists never expected.

    GO BACK OR WE CRUSH YOU! Atrux shouted meaning the ship.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate to get the people to move away. (1d20+10)[22]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Elias has a contemplative look as he stands at some remove from the crowded dock, running his fingers through his light brown stubble while the arrows he always carries with him clatter in the wind. The mood of the city was getting fouling every day, and it's a wonder that this crowd of refugees stayed tame enough to be a "crowd" without morphing into a "riot" or perhaps a "stampede"... well, that's what he's here for, after all. His eyes snap to the crowd as it starts to move, staring intently in case there are troublemakers to rush in and confront, but as it seems the dockworkers have the situation well in hand, his attention drifts once more to the Bannor's Pride. It looked to be a big ship - likely with a big crew - hopefully big enough to contain some talent suitable for resolving Chologadi's woes.

    Elias knew about the rumored expedition being assembled by the town council, of course - and about the town's brightest and most ambitious defenders who had been swallowed up by the clouded jungle before they had a chance to join it. His fingers have been trembling for days, as much from excitement as from fear, waiting for the chance to join the adventure. But in the end, he was just a hunter - a killer, to put it crudely - and even if he joined the expeditionary force he would barely be fit to guide it through the woods, let alone keep it organized and focused. Given the state of the town's crisis, perhaps nobody would be up to that task. All we can do is stay brave and hope the gods look favorably on our resolve...

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Stupid Dwarf. Stupid Boat. Stupid Head Pain. Aedun Gno pushes his large frame through the oncoming crowd, the scowl plastered on his face helping to thin the traffic in his path. The towering former half-orc fumes at simple thoughts going through his head, angry at the predicament he finds himself in. He doesn't know why he came here or what purpose the mad dwarf has in store for him. All he knows is he is supposed to find someone important and tell him he will help. All because some crazy midget somehow kicked his butt then messed with his head. Aedun has to admit though, whatever the runt did to him left him feeling great besides the occasional wracking headaches. He hasn't felt hungry since his journey began, nor has he felt the dire need for rest. The entire boat ride on the Bannor's Pride left countless people seasick, but strangely he himself was in perfect health. Maybe a life at sea was in order when everything was said and done....
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Janna opens the door to the deck, taking in all the fresh air and brushing her long white locks minutes the large ship nears Chologadi. The port city in view does not seems impressive other than the trade. But trading is not what she is interested in. The myth surrounding is the ear-catch. The witch knows because the black cloud is one of the reasons that she is stopping by this island. Compare to the forest of Kyonin, Absalom and Andoran which was a vacation, the potential calamity if it is true may as well match the atmosphere of Ustalav to a lesser extent, a nation that she left as quick as she passed. Her thoughts are interrupted by the sound of the ramp deployed and she looks down.

    Finally, here. But why does the docking area looks like a marketplace?

    Her eyes shifts from the crowd to the ornate figure who struts down the ramp along with his cohorts who he treat as pack mules.

    Must be an important person.

    Following the departure of that rich man is a large lizardman who attempts to disperse the crowd with his fearsome mien and one passenger who pushes his large body past the tide of townspeople to get to the other side. While the lizardfolk is asserting his dominance, she looks down to the crowd again.

    "Better take his warning. If looks could kill, imagine what those claws can do to you."

    The witch then use the distraction as an opportunity to slip through the crowd and begins walking to the main square.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-10-01 at 07:35 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Jack closed his book with a snap, as he looked over the crowd, then up to the cloud. "Well, lets be off then," he murmers mostly to himself, as he moved to get across the stream despite the growing crowd. Quickly he moves off to the side waiting to see where to go to next.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Ignasio made his way to the main square slowly riding his new acquired pony. Navigating the city was not hard, all he had to do was to choose the wider or cleaner street once alternatives presented itself. He was somehow disappointed to find Cholodagi to be a city like any other, he expected more of the fabled southern lands: exotic people, tribal dances in the streets, weird animals, foul smelling spices and food and mysterious shops and monuments. With the exception of the foul smells none of the above was apparent. It was a city just like any other, a little poorer, a little less orderly than the average (though that changed as he neared the center square) and with a larger share of non-humans than he got used to. Nothing to write home about, yet.
    Captain Oto was kind enough to mention a couple of Inns he himself considered way too expensive to be appropriate: one right on the main square across the city hall and a quieter (and even more expensive) one at the back of the grand cathedral. Ignasio was heading to one of those, his sense of responsibility aiming for the quitter one while every other part of his body navigating to the center of things, to the main square itself.
    The official reason for him being here was the promise of establishing a far-reaching office of the Guanahato Cartel, dealing with exquisite merchandise, bought -to-order for the rich and powerful, that was his father's expertise: special spices, wines, fabrics, arts and antiques. anything a rich widow, a young nobleman, a royal astronomer or a famous bard could wish for the cartel could find and supply. The sky was not the limit, only the purse was!
    Later on, he will need to get all required permissions, pay the dues, taxes and bribes, rent an office and then start mapping all possible clientele. But for now, committed to his mission, he decided to review the shops and businesses of town on his way, not those poor stalls and workshops mind you, real shops!
    This lasted for a full ten minutes of his ride, after which other, more pressing and interesting things took over his attention: that kid, expertly stealing foodstuff from the stall, a wooden idol of an unknown deity, a friendly three legged dog, that green eyed damsel selling flowers, and that black haired one, and the one by the well….
    And so he finally reached the main square which was just like any other except for the very uncommon commotion in front of the town hall and the voices of the few city guards desperately trying to seize control over it. He ignored it for now and, expertly shutting down the last voice of reason within him, stepped into the Golden Rooster Inn and hired the best room available, for a full month.
    He took a good two hours to settle in, dismiss his makeshift guards, have a good bath and an expensive drink and writing a short report which will never be sent to his loving father. He then stepped out to the square making his way to the still besieged town hall determined to be in the middle of whatever was happening there.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    > GO BACK OR WE CRUSH YOU! Atrux shouted meaning the ship.

    The vast majority of the crowd flinched back, with mothers clutching at their children, torn between the safety promised by escaping on the Bannor’s Pride and risk of getting past what appeared to be a towering dinosaur. Even the Pride’s Captain Oto, who had familiarized himself with the giant lizardman on the trip here, was taken aback, and very little perturbed the sailor who looked as stout and salty as the main beam of his dromond.

    One bystander, however, slipped forward through the crowd towards the gangplank that was extended to the dock, craning his neck up—but not at Atrux. His head was tipped back even further back as he gazed at the great gearforged rumbling down from the ship. The man was thin, with close-cropped dark hair, and had the air of a clerk about him, the impression no doubt reinforced by the small set of spectacles perched on the bridge of his nose and a fresh sheet of parchment in his hand so new that it yet retained its crispness against the jungle humidity. Where most clerks might be expected to flinch back from Atrux’s bellowing, however, he merely spared a glance at his parchment and made a beeline for Aedon Gno.

    Approaching and rapping on the ranger’s knee, he called up to him. “You there! Hello! Down here please. Yes, I am Gilberto Hemlen, and I represent the Council of Chologadi.[1] You are to come with me. We were notified that you would be coming and were assigned to assist us. Follow me now, please.” The man made to move away, but stopped and glanced back over his shoulder at Atrux. “You may come along as well, if you wish,” he said to the lizardman. “Two giants are better than one, I suppose,” he said with a wry smile, turning towards the Council House.

    ~~~
    Having refreshed himself and written an initial report, Ignasio descended to the common room of the Golden Rooster Inn. The redolent scent of incense drifted through air and the sorcerer-merchant followed a thin haze of smoke to a large alcove just off the main room that held three carved wooden idols, each three or four feet tall. Slow-burning sticks extended from their mouths.

    The innkeeper appeared at Ignasio’s elbow, a small obsequious man—as might be expected when tending to his one and only guest at the moment, and one who had paid a full month in advance when it seemed the town would be doomed within the fortnight. “Ah, Itz’at,” the innkeep said, granting Ignasio a local honorific meaning “Learned Man”, more or less. “I see you are a discerning man. This is our shrine to the nature spirits. Toncho, Cho-Oda, Magalo Hiti,” he said, pointing from one idol to the next to the next. “Since before the dark clouds, the nature spirits have been in turmoil, speaking rumors about their brother Cho-Oda and the disease that afflicts him. I beseech them each day to turn away the darkness, but they remain silent. The high ones of the Council now hope to send an expedition, but I do not know…” the said shaking his head.

    ~~~
    Jack Candle had made his way to the town square, now largely empty. One of the few figures present he recognized as the man that had come off the ship and summoned a pony, who was now engaged with a vendor who had a dizzying array of spices laid out in his stall. “The finest spices in all the land, yet at most reasonable prices, most reasonable. Cherry cinnamon, boka boka, vanilla cloves, cocao cloves, all for the Master’s taking.” The was a tinge of desperation in the man’s voice. He hoped to sell out his remaining stock, or at least enough to fund his journey away from this doomed place.

    <tag all>

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    [1] Both Janna and Elias are in position to overhear this conversation and the fact this person, while not a member of the town’s council, does work for them.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-10-01 at 10:31 PM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Janna's movements slow as she listens in as the clerk requests that the large ranger and the lizardman to follow him to the council house. Her eyes trail the man til he reaches the house. Then the witch turns to the route that she is taking, defaulting to her normal pace to the town square. She makes a note in the back of her mind to backtrack to the location after her sightseeing.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-10-02 at 07:08 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    > GO BACK OR WE CRUSH YOU! Atrux shouted meaning the ship.



    The innkeeper appeared at Ignasio’s elbow, a small obsequious man—as might be expected when tending to his one and only guest at the moment, and one who had paid a full month in advance when it seemed the town would be doomed within the fortnight. “Ah, Itz’at,” the innkeep said, granting Ignasio a local honorific meaning “Learned Man”, more or less. “I see you are a discerning man. This is our shrine to the nature spirits. Toncho, Cho-Oda, Magalo Hiti,” he said, pointing from one idol to the next to the next. “Since before the dark clouds, the nature spirits have been in turmoil, speaking rumors about their brother Cho-Oda and the disease that afflicts him. I beseech them each day to turn away the darkness, but they remain silent. The high ones of the Council now hope to send an expedition, but I do not know…” the said shaking his head.
    "Toncho, Cho-Oda, Magalo Hiti" Ignasio repeated the names slowly, filing them for future use somewhere in the back of his head, between the famous Glendorian Roast receipt and the favorite flowers of Lady Sasteen from White Ridge castle.
    "Interesting, do those names mean anything in the local tongue? Such as 'The Plague bringer' or the 'Storm weaver' " (Or, more likely, 'The mosquito herder' he thought to himself). "And this Cho-Oda being sick" he approached the middle statue "This has to do with the black cloud everybody is so concerned about you believe?"

    He stepped closer, examining the details of the sculptured figures, walking around each and assessing the craftsmanship "Very interesting, I can see the potential…..Say, my good man, are these being mass produced by chance?"

    [OOC] :
    not sure what is the right knowledge check for any symbolism or details of the deities involved but Ignasio does carefully examine each of the statues (skill check 14)
    Also: appraise them, individually and as a set (skill check 11+6 = 17)

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Aedun looks down at the little man rapping on his leg. What a pathetic little runt. He was about to tell the clerk to piss off when he started to feel the beginning of one of his headaches. Grumbling loudly to himself, he realizes he has to listen to Gilberto or else. "Fine....show the way." He walks past the giant lizard, nudging it slightly as he does. Aedun quickly looks over the beast before turning away without response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Elias's eyes widen as he sees the good Mister Hemlen run up to the ship and begin speaking to a great hulking figure of a man. "So the Council is good for something after all," he thinks to himself. "Never thought they'd have the initiative to bring in contacts from far afield." Once he confirms that the Gearforged is willing to accept the call - perhaps alongside that similarly imposing lizardman? - Elias sets off to follow them through the crowd. Almost as an afterthought, he raises his hood before getting into the thick of things, its chain links clinking softly against each other as he does so. Not like he's at any risk of losing sight of his quarry, after all...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    The settlers were an odd bunch for Atrux. Tribal politics were far from being as easy as they could be, but here everyone was out for themselves. Hugely unqualified people were in charge, there was not central government that would bring down their force to solve the problem at hand. If this were his tribe, the matrons would have guided them to another waterhole or similar, those who chose to resist where beaten into submission, and stragglers were eaten. Here, there was much wailing and loss of life too, but to Atrux, it was an impenetrable thicket of confusing choices.

    Atrux turns to Ignasio. Your shamans...? invited me too? Why? I am just trothar*, here to protect you. Do you assume peril inside? Walking through the city, Atrux picks up a goat and pays the person holding it with those weird small yellow tabs. Absentmindedly, the lizard bites its head off and eats it whole, with a bit of blood and guts spilling onto its scaled chest.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Janna stares at the almost empty square.

    As expected. The rumors are true. They flee from the black cloud.

    Seeing another bystander staring at the spice seller who is occupied with the pony man but not approaching him, she checks out the inn.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-10-03 at 04:14 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Jack continued to watch the tornado of activity that was Ignasio. Curious was a man who tore through the streets flitting around from here to there. Jack hummed, and took a moment to see if there was anyone in the market place to get a blank book from, as he decided he was going to chronicle the man's flurry of activity if he had a chance. Perhaps a new, one of a kind book would sedate the librarian.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    >Atrux turns to Gilberto. Your shamans...? invited me too? Why? I am just trothar*, here to protect you. Do you assume peril inside?

    Gilberto arched his neck to look back at Atrux as he trailed behind the man. “Shamans? No. They plead to their spirit this and spirit that, and it gains nothing. No, the Council is taking matters into their own hands rather than rely upon the questionable abilities of shamans. They’ve outfitted an expedition, and this good, errrr, man,” he said with a nod to Aedon, “was volunteered to be part of it. How that came to be so, I’m not entirely sure, but there it is. If you wish to accompany the expedition, I imagine the Council will be more than willing to agree to it.”

    He led them to a building not far from the west walls of the town, a three-story affair built on a small rise such that the views from the top floor looked out over the vast green expanse of the Ambicuaria Jungle. “Ah, here we are. I’m afraid it will be a tight fit for the two of you; duck your heads, please, and try not to destroy the Council House.

    Gilberto laid his hand on the handle of the doors into the building, thick, expertly carved doors of cocobolo heartwood, when he caught sight of Elias following along behind them. His eyes flicked over the ranger, registering the man’s look in an instant. “Yes, can I help you hunter?”

    ~~~
    >[Ignasio]"Interesting, do those names mean anything in the local tongue? Such as 'The Plague bringer' or the 'Storm weaver' " (Or, more likely, 'The mosquito herder' he thought to himself). "And this Cho-Oda being sick" he approached the middle statue "This has to do with the black cloud everybody is so concerned about you believe?"

    “I do not know of any names they have but their own, but perhaps the shamans might know more than I,” the innkeep answered. “But yes, *I* think the black cloud has something to do with it, as do the shamans, but others disagree. The Town Council doesn’t care what the cause is, they hope only for it to be turned back. They say the Council has an expedition ready to go—guards, guides, mules, all of it—but none brave enough to lead it.”

    >[Ignasio] "Very interesting, I can see the potential…..Say, my good man, are these being mass produced by chance?"

    He nodded his head. “You can find them in any shrine around town. This is a very fine set, as I’m sure an Izt’at such as yourself can see,” he said proudly. [1]

    ~~~
    Janna entered the Golden Roster Inn, instantly discerning the three separate scents of burning incense. The establishment was well-maintained, and the best the town could offer, but this inn in a small trading town at the edge of a vast jungle would be considered rustic elsewhere.

    The proprietor, who had been looking both bored and troubled as she walked in, snapped to sudden attention. Another customer? Can it be, in these times? All blessings to Magalo Hiti.

    “Kíimak 'oolal”, he said bounding up and welcoming Janna in the local language. “How can I be of humble service to Madam? Food? Drink? Perhaps a room? All three?”

    ~~~
    Jack Candle found the empty stalls around the town square sadly lacking. In fact, other that the spice merchant, only two were occupied: a woman selling a panoply of jungle fruits on reed mats, and a stick-figure-of-a-man in a worn and patched shift offering carved wooden charms shaped much like miniature versions of the idols seen at the Golden Roster Inn. Of the three sellers, he was doing a bang-up business (relatively speaking, as there were fewer than half-a-dozen townsfolk in the square), proclaiming that his charms would protect their wearers from the effects of the encroaching cloud and ward off the evil eye, as well.

    There were clearly no booksellers here. Asking around, however, Jack was informed that parchment could be found at a shop near the Jungle Gate, and perhaps blank books as well.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    [1] Ignasio doesn’t note anything about the details of the carvings, though he thinks the set of three are probably worth between 100gp and 150gp…in case you want to go all murder hobo and kill the guy and take his stuff.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-10-04 at 06:37 AM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    >They’ve outfitted an expedition, and this good, errrr, man,” he said with a nod to Aedon, “was volunteered to be part of it. How that came to be so, I’m not entirely sure, but there it is. If you wish to accompany the expedition, I imagine the Council will be more than willing to agree to it.”

    Watch out, tiny man. Insult our shamans, and you insult me. Atrux said as calm as only a lizard could. Those who knew him better knew that this was an insult he was not forgiving.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Over the Rainbow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Not a bad guy... Aedun thinks to himself. "Shut up and get inside gecko. That's what your shamans sent you to do right? We can fight later if you feel 'insulted'." With that said, The orcish bot ducks his head and walks inside, just barely squeezing his body and gear through the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree


  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post

    He nodded his head. “You can find them in any shrine around town. This is a very fine set, as I’m sure an Izt’at such as yourself can see,” he said proudly. [1]
    Ignasio seemed happy with the answer "So, if I try to buy, say.... 500 such sets this should not be a problem yes? maybe we will discuss some sort of partnership once I get all my paperwork done, I can use a local contact" he looked thoughtful for a moment "Speaking of which, this Council that you mentioned, are they also responsible for trade permits and such? I am looking to start a trading line between your, hmmm, fine city and the Glendorian lands, are they the ones to speak to or is there any merchant guild in charge?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kill him for that? are you crazy? You missed Ignasio by a mile. he is contemplating the profit of shipping 500 set pieces to the mainland and selling them as exotic curios to local barons.
    Last edited by Koral; 2019-10-03 at 04:34 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Janna returns the gesture by raising her hand in greeting.

    "Kíimak 'oolal."

    The witch leans forward to sniff the incense.

    "You have good taste. This almost feels like home."

    Spontaneous, her head snaps back to her normal straightness as she levels a neutral expression at the man greeting her while placing a finger below her lips as she light taps the spot with her finger in repetition.

    "This ambience would fill this place with lodgers in a heartbeat. Shame. I want to make a reservation here for the night from my long voyage. But judging from your expression, all rooms were taken?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-10-04 at 09:38 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    "For you, Madam," the innkeep replied with surprise, "a fine room, very good, yes a very fine room. Yours for as long as you need!"

    After providing the witch with a key to a room upstairs, he inquired, "Is there anything else this one can do to be of service?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm just hand waiving the cost here, a stay for one or two nights should be immaterial.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Elias smiles awkwardly as Gilberto greets him, the grin not quite reaching his cheeks. "Oh, you know me," he says with a wave and a half-hearted chuckle. "Only nosy when I don't have to be. I saw the rush at the docks and I got to wondering - will they really be okay in there? The big guys seem kind enough, and I guess the council must have vetted them, but, well..."

    His eyes narrow as he watches for any reaction, looking more like a predator staring down prey than a person going through conversation. "You know how lizard tribes can be."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Jack moved up the streets towards the gate and where the paper seller may stay. Surely Ignasio was going to be coming this way, with as loud and boisterous the man was. Was there to be others? Surely they would need the services of a chronicler.. Especially they would need likely the most important bit..

    Looking to where they was suppose to be the paper seller, "Hello, is there someone here?" he calls out as he enters.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Atrux stares down Elias with the same cold stare, except he has since cooled down a fair bit. Lizardfolk were remarkable in their swift mood changes when it suited their survival or tribal position. And they were equally as hard to read.

    I am not here to make you worship our shamans. But I am here on their command. And you know full-well that the cloud is a curse* brought upon these lands. No small and meek male** can stop them by hurling honeyed words at it. the lizard spoke in a bass voice. He did not gauge the reactions as he knew most of the people did not believe him.

    Which was quite frankly ridiculous. In a world with hags and witches and shamans and druidic magic, curses were a thing. just because their scholars did not see the incantation, because their priests say that the tribal curses cannot touch them. These humans cradle themselves in false security.
    _________________________________________
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    * I assume Atrux has been droning on and on about how this cloud is a curse brought upon this island. I further assume that most humanoids (NPCs) are divided on the matter but ultimatively believe in their clerics and priests playing the problem down as to avoid a panic. Most know it is a problem and do not care about the source.
    ** Atrux' society is very female centric, and he does not listen to any command of a weaker male if he deems it unreasonable. For now he identifies Aedun as male because how else did he become so tall. I am of course downplaying that a bit for the party, but when it comes to NPCs, except major sexism.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Janna accepts the key and pockets it. Her sarcastic remarks, while not having the intended effect, drew out a more interesting reaction. The man is desperate for lodgers.

    Can't blame the black cloud for driving potential customers away.

    The witch takes her time to look around the inn for any notable things that catches her interest while retaining some of her focus on the proprietor.

    "Yes. You can start by calming yourself. Once you are more composed, I would appreciate it if you can give me some information about this island. I am not well-versed with the land as it is my first time visiting here. Anything like dangers, interesting areas in the jungle, culture, history and such. Perhaps, more details of the black cloud. I already know that the black cloud is one of the causes that are driving the populace and business away. After all, a girl needs to be savvy during her stay before she do a little exploration."

    Spoiler: OOC rolls/checks
    Show


    Gather information (if needed) - (1d20)[10]

    Perception (Take 20 to see eye catch or things that are notable/significant) - 24

    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-10-07 at 09:35 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    Elias is visibly startled upon realizing that Atrux was still around and in earshot, blinking rapidly for a couple of seconds before shifting his face back into a smile - a more earnest one, this time, reaching up to the rest of his face. "A curse indeed," he begins, crossing his arms and craning his neck upward to meet Atrux's eyes. "Even the great animals of the jungle have fallen before this cloud, their tooth and claw of no avail against this mysterious ill omen."

    "So, let's get this straight. Despite your, ahem, 'honeyed words' about the strength of your shamans..."
    Elias leans in and smirks as he speaks, as if begging someone to reach out and wipe the smile off his face. "You are not one of them. You are merely - how did you say it? Trow-tharr? In other words, you great hulking animal, what do you think you can do to stop this besides just dying like all the rest?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nothing personal, just trying my best to earn that -2 Charisma modifier.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    I am our most powerful warrior but I am not vital to our clan's survival. Our matrons do not put much trust into your ... chase. I have done my duty as guardian and I have grown too large to hunt. It is my duty to help the tribe by leaving it. Atrux says without a shred of sadness. If you think my power is needed to defend the tribe, you do not know the matron's magic.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    >Watch out, tiny man. Insult our shamans, and you insult me. Atrux said as calm as only a lizard could. Those who knew him better knew that this was an insult he was not forgiving.

    Gilberto merely raised in eyebrow subtly, seemingly unperturbed by the hulking lizardman’s threat. “You are here because your shamans can do nothing about the black cloud, correct? Just as the shamans here can do nothing.”

    >Elias smiles awkwardly as Gilberto greets him, the grin not quite reaching his cheeks. "Oh, you know me," he says with a wave and a half-hearted chuckle. "Only nosy when I don't have to be. I saw the rush at the docks and I got to wondering - will they really be okay in there? The big guys seem kind enough, and I guess the council must have vetted them, but, well..."

    “You may come along and see for yourself if you wish to join the expedition. I don’t think the risk will begin until they journey out under the cloud,” he replied, entering the Council House in the expectation that Aedon and Atrux would follow, and Elias if he chose to.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: The Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

    >[Ignasio] "Speaking of which, this Council that you mentioned, are they also responsible for trade permits and such? I am looking to start a trading line between your, hmmm, fine city and the Glendorian lands, are they the ones to speak to or is there any merchant guild in charge?"

    “Oh, I, ahhh, I’m sure I can help arrange this for you,” the innkeep quickly replied, trying to think of someway to partake in such a large trade. “I know many of the carvers, I can arrange very good deals, most definitely. The Council will not be thinking of trade permits now, they are only focused on sending a group into the heart of the jungle to see what can be done about the approaching cloud. Nothing a merchant like yourself would be interested in most surely.”
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 20/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •